Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:53:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: High Level Armor Sets 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: High Level Armor Sets  (Read 144618 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: October 24, 2008, 11:45:19 AM

I can't stop laughing.  This is just fucking clownshoes.

You need to be this tall to have fun.  

GAH!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: October 24, 2008, 11:50:27 AM

In a way it's nice to be off the fence.  My ass was getting sore.

Time to get back into Eve and gird myself for the, ugh, speed nerf.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #72 on: October 24, 2008, 11:52:39 AM

Shoehorning PvE raid progression mechanics into a PvP environment where the content will not always be available. Smart!

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: October 24, 2008, 11:54:34 AM

Man the WHA and Vault network forums are mostly the same reaction. There are a couple of vaultards who are trying to downplay the importance of this year, like one of the DAOC team leads, and trying to make us all feel better because it will be a long time before everyone has the pieces.

I am with Schild though, this blunder is going to make WotlK eat War's lunch. The guilds with this gear will blow through fortress lords, city lords, etc, and the folks without it will be blown apart by NPC's and 3 real life players defending the keep.

I can say that this will probably be the 2nd weekend in a row where we have an epic thread (or three) to watch.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Beltaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: October 24, 2008, 11:55:15 AM

The nail in the coffin is, you know this gear will be distributed via PQ style loot bag distribution.  So not only do you have to have an entire raid-size Warband to do the content, but you'll have to do it over and over until everyone has the gear.  Plus, there'll inevitably be those people with lucky dice that will begin to get duplicate gear while the unlucky douchebags that aren't geared yet get the shaft from the RNG yet again.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: October 24, 2008, 11:57:19 AM

Just imagine your guild conquering a T4 keep, nearly able to take on the king and only needing a few more pieces and ten you keep losing rolls to random newbies coming in on their own.

Just imagine.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #76 on: October 24, 2008, 12:05:35 PM

At least in WOW you are grinding, say Kara or even AV which is reasonably fun sometimes. 

Public Quests?  Grindorama nightmare.  I am NOT playing a game where I have to do a mobkill spree like in the PQs. 

Sooooooooo what's next on the agenda?  Darkfall?  LOTRO Moria? 

WOTLK?
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #77 on: October 24, 2008, 12:05:51 PM

Maybe there will be a "No High Armor Set/No Capital City Server" poll on vn boards soon.
schild
Administrator

Reply #78 on: October 24, 2008, 12:06:13 PM

Maybe there will be a "No High Armor Set/No Capital City Server poll on vn boards soon.

Too late.

Since when do games get second chances?

Edit: Maybe if this had happened in say, MARCH, I could've been like, OK they have time to fix this before say, the christmas rush or a WoW expansion. But haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, apparently fingers can't be snapped to make stupid fucking amateur hour design decisions go away.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #79 on: October 24, 2008, 12:09:33 PM

Missed the green, sorry.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #80 on: October 24, 2008, 12:10:50 PM

Well, at least now it won't be only on WOW that you can see, "looking for high progression raiding guild". 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 12:16:02 PM by ghost »
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #81 on: October 24, 2008, 12:31:21 PM

my eyes burn at the following:

"If you’re a healer and you want to make the most of earning Renown, heal those around you who seem to be doing the most damage. The system encourages grouping with others and/or keeping the top killers alive, so if you do so, your healing Renown will flow! "

.....I...I hate you mythic.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
wuzzman

Email
Reply #82 on: October 24, 2008, 12:41:39 PM

nothing like grind to anal any chance of playing a serious pvp game.
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #83 on: October 24, 2008, 12:42:57 PM

nothing like grind to anal

awesome, for real

Sums it up.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: October 24, 2008, 12:43:44 PM

my eyes burn at the following:

"If you’re a healer and you want to make the most of earning Renown, heal those around you who seem to be doing the most damage. The system encourages grouping with others and/or keeping the top killers alive, so if you do so, your healing Renown will flow! "

.....I...I hate you mythic.

And my tank says "WTF?" to that.
SDShannonS
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: October 24, 2008, 12:45:59 PM

I suspect that the greatest issue with this news is the interpretation of the word "required".  I don't think Missy really meant "...which is required for City High Level Dungeons and Fortress encounters."  The fact that people have already done Fortress captures without this armor suggests that it will help but is not actually required to complete these elements of the game.

Honestly, I don't see it as much of a problem at all.  The game has always been about RvR, not PvP.  The ultimate goal of RvR has always been the taking of the opponent's capital city by killing the King - that should not come as a surprise to anyone here.  That encounter is a combination of PvP and PvE but is all RvR, as are the Sub-Boss PQs, Invasion PQs, Fortresses, and Tier 4 RvR that can be used to gather the other pieces of armor sets.

So, you engage in RvR the same way you normally would.  You go out and kill people, take Fortresses, do the Invasion PQs to get access to the city, run the Sub-Boss PQs, and eventually kill the King.  I think the likelihood of everyone getting a piece of armor from that is minimal at best which is another point in favor of the argument that it cannot possibly be "required".

So if you do a lot of what you would normally be doing anyway, you'll eventually acquire some full sets of armor which will give you an advantage and make your character more desired in groups.  And yes, eventually, there may be elitist groups out there that refuse to admit anyone who is not leet like them, but who gives a shit?  Fuck 'em and go about your business doing all the above with people who are not assholes.

I think the armor set system is designed to encourage and reward RvR, not to gate it.  I think people are just reading too much into "required."
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #86 on: October 24, 2008, 12:47:10 PM

shut the fuck up. The armour DOES NOT HELP RVR. ITS JUST % DMG REDUCTION FROM NPC.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
schild
Administrator

Reply #87 on: October 24, 2008, 12:47:28 PM

Making something impossible or UNFUN without having the proper gear pretty much = required.

Making something more difficult for people who haven't bullshit grinded through crap content is pretty much the dumbest fucking design decision I've heard in a LONG, LONG TIME.
wuzzman

Email
Reply #88 on: October 24, 2008, 12:50:47 PM

you can justify grind, but you can also justify butt sex in prisons.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: October 24, 2008, 12:53:48 PM

This armor mitigates damage done by NPC's in Fortress/City siege situations. Without it you can be blasted to oblivion by those NPC's, and the player damage on top of that just helps to speed you on your way to the respawn spot. These tards over at the Vault and coming here who are downplaying this because "it doesn't affect players damaging one another" are missing the point. When you engage in these fights you are fighting players + NPC's, and without said gear the NPC's hit you a fuckton harder.

I mean a Fortress Lord can hit you for 4 K damage right off the bat without WARD gear, toss in the real player damage too, and its "bye bye, cya at the rez stone!".

Ward gear matters.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: October 24, 2008, 12:54:16 PM

Well if anyone can stand reading VN I was able, I think, to get the answer I was looking for.

I don't think it's as bad as I originally assumed, but that's just my personal preference.  It's hard to design the end of an RvR game without making it seem like an FPS.  I'm not sure I liek what they came up with, and I'm not sure I believe this so called PvE gear won't be useful (or overpowered) in end game RvR, but I won't be there for a while ... or ever.
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: October 24, 2008, 12:58:11 PM

nothing like grind to anal

awesome, for real

Sums it up.

Yes, best mispelling evar. Man, well I'm glad I'm a lazy asshole who kept dithering about picking this up.

EDIT: Haha, and it hits the graveyard mid-post!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 01:00:09 PM by justdave »

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: October 24, 2008, 12:58:31 PM

Ward gear matters.

And apparently you can buy some of it off of renown merchants, with the best pieces reserved for some dumb quest.

Not arguing though, they blew the RvR is everything point of the game.  Not sure what they were thinking.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: October 24, 2008, 01:04:26 PM

What they were thinking is that they could bait and switch mmo players into thinking they were getting a pvp alternative when in reality what you got was a pvp barrier to 'old' wow style raids, gear cockblocks and all.  You think these armor sets were made magically overnight?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #94 on: October 24, 2008, 01:06:00 PM

What they were thinking is that they could bait and switch mmo players into thinking they were getting a pvp alternative when in reality what you got was a pvp barrier to 'old' wow style raids, gear cockblocks and all.  You think these armor sets were made magically overnight?

*SNAP*

POOF

KILLED A GAME WITH GEAR.

See, they can do it.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #95 on: October 24, 2008, 01:09:35 PM

Eh, you're being a bit hasty here.  May be dead for some but still pretty active and the conversation about it will likely be for a bit longer.

Don't be such a baby.

-Rasix
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #96 on: October 24, 2008, 01:22:28 PM

This is disappointing but a magnitude less important than the fact that RvR is totally fubared. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 01:24:37 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
dieplskthxbai
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: October 24, 2008, 01:22:57 PM

Hey guys, don't burn me @ the "steak" (heh, for all you Lum fans out there...) for asking this, but didn't MJ say in another thread around here somewhere that they were retooling ALL the PvP gear and that MJ couldn't just snap his fingers and make it happen overnight?

I dunno, both my wife and I have picked this title up, and are enjoying it immensely...  We'll just have to see how it pans out, I suppose.

Popcorn
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #98 on: October 24, 2008, 01:24:50 PM

And Rasix refuses to "Call it". The senior doctor will surely be pissed!

I tend to agree though, too much conversation still to Call It already.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
schild
Administrator

Reply #99 on: October 24, 2008, 01:26:55 PM

Too much conversation means one of two things:

1. The game is in the grip of death.
2. The game just came out and is fucking awesome.

Somehow there was a grey line in this situation where Mythic felt they should apply the sharpie.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: October 24, 2008, 01:29:23 PM

Hey guys, don't burn me @ the "steak" (heh, for all you Lum fans out there...) for asking this, but didn't MJ say in another thread around here somewhere that they were retooling ALL the PvP gear and that MJ couldn't just snap his fingers and make it happen overnight?

I dunno, both my wife and I have picked this title up, and are enjoying it immensely...  We'll just have to see how it pans out, I suppose.

Popcorn

All snark aside, if you're having fun with the game then your best bet is to ignore all the various forums, just play the game and have fun.

Over and out.
Seanzor
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: October 24, 2008, 01:35:26 PM

All snark aside, if you're having fun with the game then your best bet is to ignore all the various forums, just play the game and have fun.
True for just about every game, forever.  Primarily, people post on game forums because the pertinent game is, at that moment in time, less fun than posting on a fucking forum.

Edit: (or, because those people's jobs aren't demanding enough).
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: October 24, 2008, 01:42:55 PM

Primarily, people post on game forums because the pertinent game is, at that moment in time, less fun than posting on a fucking forum.

Edit: (or, because those people's jobs aren't demanding enough).

Not always true.  I post on the OFFICIAL City of Heroes forums about all kinds of stuff and I still enjoy that game quite a bit, despite its flaws.  I even post there outside of work hours!

Over and out.
maximluva

Email
Reply #103 on: October 24, 2008, 01:44:25 PM

I am not old enough to understand the idea of a game not being "a second job."

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 01:49:39 PM by schild »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: October 24, 2008, 01:45:40 PM

It's not like people dont do the same shit with WOW.

I think this was like, the point.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: High Level Armor Sets  
Jump to: