Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 05:59:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2250741 times)
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #10010 on: September 07, 2011, 05:58:30 PM

Every time I hear one of the devs talk about how different SWTOR is going to be, I get an image of Vanilla Ice explaining how his song is different from David Bowie's.
Heart

I'm surprised you were still able to post so soon after that orgasm you had in the GW2 thread.

Over and out.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #10011 on: September 07, 2011, 06:11:14 PM

I was enjoying the endorphins by the time it reached the end of the Q&A.  I didn't want to stop to post.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #10012 on: September 07, 2011, 06:33:12 PM

The inception meme got me hard.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10013 on: September 07, 2011, 07:28:18 PM

Every time I hear one of the devs talk about how different SWTOR is going to be, I get an image of Vanilla Ice explaining how his song is different from David Bowie's.
To be fair, he was under a lot of pressure at the time.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #10014 on: September 07, 2011, 07:29:26 PM

To be fair, he was under a lot of pressure at the time.

Ya, Vanilla Ice was totally feeling the pressure at the time.  All the haters.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #10015 on: September 07, 2011, 07:47:42 PM

All the haters.  "People on the street" you might call them.    awesome, for real

-Rasix
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #10016 on: September 07, 2011, 07:56:29 PM

Can you blame them? It's the terror of knowing what this world is about.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #10017 on: September 07, 2011, 08:23:21 PM

I hope to hell that there's one more round of beta invites. I would hate to pre-order solely to get access to the "head-start" test/magic patch is coming period.

They just said there is a new build coming in a few days.  Full character wipes and such incoming.

Heard a rumor that they may be cancelling the beta weekends until further notice. Truth?

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #10018 on: September 07, 2011, 08:28:00 PM

I hope to hell that there's one more round of beta invites. I would hate to pre-order solely to get access to the "head-start" test/magic patch is coming period.

They just said there is a new build coming in a few days.  Full character wipes and such incoming.

Heard a rumor that they may be cancelling the beta weekends until further notice. Truth?

Oh, FFS. Let me out.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #10019 on: September 07, 2011, 08:50:30 PM

They just said there is a new build coming in a few days.  Full character wipes and such incoming.

Oh, FFS. Let me out.

It's not quite "until further notice" but it's not far from it. I guess they're not technically canceled either; it seems to be more of a case of poor timing.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8927958#post8927958

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 08:53:26 PM by koro »
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #10020 on: September 07, 2011, 09:03:04 PM

Or set encounters so that you don't need to have specific "specs" in the first place. More than one way to skin a cat and all that shit.

Oh wait, that's too hard.

Actually it isn't just hard, it is pretty much impossible. You can design encounters so any group can finish them, sure, but even if you do that they'll always be easier with some specific configuration - unless you make them so easy they're trivial for anyone, which would be the lamest possible choice.

This is exactly what GW2 is claiming they're doing with their game.  No 'holy trinity', bring any spec you want and you can finish their dungeons.  Just grab some of your friends, no matter what they're playing, and go.  So what you're saying is GW2 is going to flop horribly because the content will be impossible to balance (either too hard and their design goal of 'bring anyone' won't be true or it'll be too easy and people will just bring the most efficient specs to blow through the content with no challange)?

What I find interesting is the bar is being set so high for GW2 that even if it turns out to be an outstanding game, some people might still be disappointed.  It seems like voice chat is going to be all but required for any group activity for one, considering how they've describing how they want teams to perform.

On the other hand, the bar is being set so low for SWTOR now (lol WoW in space) that some people might actually end up pleasantly surprised if all Bioware manages to do is make a mildly entertaining game with a veneer of a story stapled onto it.

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #10021 on: September 07, 2011, 10:39:57 PM

I think GW1's dungeons are the weakest part of their content, and I'll be surprised if they can actually deliver on all these promises they're making. It might just be that they're all so easy you can sleepwalk through them with a full group of all one class. That would be pretty disappointing from my point of view.

I'm not really planning to buy GW2 day of release anyway, the two main things I liked about GW1 aren't in it, and it doesn't seem like the sort of game where getting in on the leveling train with everyone else will matter anyway (although, 80 levels...). I'm content to wait and see if their execution can meet their ambition there. SWTOR just seems more up my alley (and it happens to have the companion NPCs that have gone missing in GW, that's a huge draw for me.)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:48:23 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #10022 on: September 08, 2011, 01:05:24 AM

Further to that, as Chris Collins explained in another thread, we are about to roll out a major new build for The Old Republic. That build won't be ready for this weekend. Just as we did not feel it was a good decision to ask potential EU testers to download our client only to have to download it again, the same applies for this weekend.

So why roll out a beta weekend before a major build then? Other than for marketing purposes.

Oh, and the "we don't have a tank class" is because they technically don't have a class called 'tank', but everyone will still quickly recognise what the best tanking classes are.

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #10023 on: September 08, 2011, 01:14:12 AM

Tanking is mainly determined by spec, and at the same time there's no dual spec in the game.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #10024 on: September 08, 2011, 02:06:48 AM

No dual spec (at the very least) would be a huuuuuge mistake not to have at launch, I really hope the beta-ers get through to them on that.

God Save the Horn Players
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #10025 on: September 08, 2011, 02:21:32 AM

No dual spec (at the very least) would be a huuuuuge mistake not to have at launch, I really hope the beta-ers get through to them on that.

People try, but between the segment of the testing base that has drank the kool-aid to the point where any QOL improvement idea is seen as some sort of attack that must be defended against and the near-silent dev team (I mean I know why they're silent, but still), it's an uphill battle.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:25:42 AM by koro »
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #10026 on: September 08, 2011, 02:53:09 AM

Yeah, I'm not super optimistic about it, and it's a shame. The fact they said they're not opposed to it makes me hopeful it'll be in sooner rather than later, but it really should be in at release.

/preaches to the choir, baby

God Save the Horn Players
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #10027 on: September 08, 2011, 05:36:56 AM

Further to that, as Chris Collins explained in another thread, we are about to roll out a major new build for The Old Republic. That build won't be ready for this weekend. Just as we did not feel it was a good decision to ask potential EU testers to download our client only to have to download it again, the same applies for this weekend.

So why roll out a beta weekend before a major build then? Other than for marketing purposes.

Oh, and the "we don't have a tank class" is because they technically don't have a class called 'tank', but everyone will still quickly recognise what the best tanking classes are.

You can take any MMO and not call any class a tank and quickly figure out which ones are best at it and which suck.  There will always be some class that will stand out as best heals, best tank, best DPS, etc which is pretty much why Im sure the GW2 holy trinity hype is plain BS.  Eventually people will figure out on harder content that X class does it best combined with Y and Z classes whereas any other class just makes it harder.  Or there will be classes who AE better or classes who have abilities that outperform others on specific areas, etc. 
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #10028 on: September 08, 2011, 06:08:38 AM

Agreed. "We don't have a tanking class" isn't code for "there are no such thing as tanks in this game", but it is often interpreted as such and as some evidence that the Trinity has been vanquished.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #10029 on: September 08, 2011, 06:11:10 AM

The many many developer walkthroughs explaining how player x will be the 'tank' or 'healer' for a given scenario are also something of a giveaway.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #10030 on: September 08, 2011, 06:26:08 AM

Can you blame them? It's the terror of knowing what this world is about.

Watching pick up groups scream, "let me out"?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10031 on: September 08, 2011, 08:23:41 AM

Maybe if they'd just stop, collaborate and listen.

And the tank class thing is just a sloppy phrasing. Just saying you can spec an AC into different roles. Which you unfortunately are stuck with, kind of defeating the coolness of that feature. Hell, I'm about as close as they come to a mitichlorian koolaid drinker around here and that's close to being a deal-breaker for me.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 08:31:59 AM by Sky »
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #10032 on: September 08, 2011, 08:26:37 AM

Maybe if they'd just stop, collaborate and listen.
Love Letters

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #10033 on: September 08, 2011, 09:01:57 AM

If they hold the line, stop pandering to wowtard raiders, and make the game and content development focussed on alts & story, the multi spec thing isn't nearly such a big deal.

CoX doesn't miss multispec for instance.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #10034 on: September 08, 2011, 09:20:19 AM

The one mistake SWTOR can't make is pandering to the WoW raiding crowd. That's no-win for them. If WoW had tried to launch by out-hardcoring EQ, it would have been stillborn.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10035 on: September 08, 2011, 09:41:11 AM

If they hold the line, stop pandering to wowtard raiders, and make the game and content development focussed on alts & story, the multi spec thing isn't nearly such a big deal.

True, but you don't really need certain archetypes for most of the content in CoX and the trinity isn't really enforced. All Rad/* Defender and */Rad Controller teams are like an unstoppable force of nature, certain builds can solo AVs/GMs, etc. The only thing I can think of where people were asking for specific archetypes/powersets are 'Master of' attempts or the iTrials.

I'll still play TOR whether multispec is in for launch or not but I'd still like to see it. Unless they've designed the trees so that heal- and tank-specced classes can still solo decent ease and speed.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10036 on: September 08, 2011, 09:44:40 AM

NDA still up?

Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10037 on: September 08, 2011, 09:55:36 AM

Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10038 on: September 08, 2011, 10:02:50 AM

I have not canceled my pre-order. I also am not resubbing to WoW (though I have been playing eq2 again...  why so serious? )
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #10039 on: September 08, 2011, 10:14:32 AM

My preorder will stay in place.  Not sure it'll process since I had to get my card reissued (XBL account hacked) since placing it.  That's a little troubling.

Still no desire to go back to WoW or any other diku.  I wish the NDA was down already, but alas.  I have a lot of very uninteresting thoughts about this game.

-Rasix
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #10040 on: September 08, 2011, 10:24:10 AM

I have not canceled my pre-order. I also am not resubbing to WoW (though I have been playing eq2 again...  why so serious? )

Jesus Kirth, what is wrong with you?  Don't you know this game is terrible and you don't like it?
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #10041 on: September 08, 2011, 11:05:00 AM

My preorder will stay in place.  Not sure it'll process since I had to get my card reissued (XBL account hacked) since placing it.  That's a little troubling.

Mine is staying also but I got the game for $39, but I have resubbed to WoW in the mean time. It's going to be interesting if the beta weekends resume next week.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10042 on: September 08, 2011, 11:07:00 AM

I have not canceled my pre-order. I also am not resubbing to WoW (though I have been playing eq2 again...  why so serious? )

Jesus Kirth, what is wrong with you?  Don't you know this game is terrible and you don't like it?

Come on now, EQ2 is not that bad. Its a little rough around the edges ... oh wait...
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #10043 on: September 08, 2011, 11:09:49 AM

Just got my pre-order setup at the local Buy More.  Though I'm kinda hoping they do the same thing with TOR as they did with DE:HR...only the "big box" stores got the copies, and I'm think that would give me grounds to call corporate and demand a discount for having to drive further to pick up a product that could have easily been shipped to everybody  swamp poop

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #10044 on: September 09, 2011, 02:20:46 AM

Some of that might be due to the fact that CoX has multispec.  why so serious?

(not that you're wrong; I'm just sayin')
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: