Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:34:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2093324 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8575 on: July 28, 2011, 07:17:10 PM

I'm getting sick of this Rip Van Winkle shit.  If you think you know something new about SWTOR, we knew it 5 pages ago.

I hear there's going to be NPC companions!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #8576 on: July 28, 2011, 07:31:32 PM

Are they fully voiced? Because something has to be taking up that 138 gb install size.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #8577 on: July 28, 2011, 08:05:04 PM

I heard we lost companion kits, and even though I never actually knew what they were, I'm devastated and considering canceling my preorder.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #8578 on: July 28, 2011, 08:46:54 PM

I've got new news. But I'm not saying anything yet.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8579 on: July 28, 2011, 08:55:22 PM

I know the release date, Lucas entrusted it to me and I'm only telling people in my guild Bad County.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #8580 on: July 28, 2011, 09:01:46 PM

For what it's worth, I'll probably end up being a tanky Trooper, since it will be Fordel and his amazing Scoundrel friends at release.  why so serious?

+1 Scoundrel right here!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8581 on: July 28, 2011, 10:32:22 PM

We should get a calender and take bets on the release date.  Whoever wins can't yell Stawberries for a month.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8582 on: July 29, 2011, 12:50:34 AM

Legit raid info!

http://darthhater.com/2011/07/28/gamestar-magazine-interview-with-gabe-amatangelo-on-operations/

Each Raid has 2 sizes, for 8 and 16 heros, as well as ajustable [sic] difficulty levels. The quality of the loot is based on the difficulty setting of the instance." After every bossfight EACH player gets a bag of Rewards", says Lead designer Gabe Amatangelo. "Inside that Bag you can find class specific Items, or Badges which can be used to buy items. You don't have to fight for your rewards."

http://imgur.com/a/O6IZ9

Obi-Wan: I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of hardcore raider's voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:53:22 AM by luckton »

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #8583 on: July 29, 2011, 02:41:18 AM

I love that bag of goodies idea.  Especially when my guild is gonna be like 3/4th Sith Sorcerers.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #8584 on: July 29, 2011, 03:05:53 AM

Aside from generic live team-related concerns about balancing multiple raid sizes, that's about what I'd expect from a game that isn't either old or purposefully anachronistic.

Maybe 16 is a bit small for the larger size if you're going to bother having one anyway but eight seems large enough for the smaller one for a game with this sort of class count/design.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8585 on: July 29, 2011, 03:13:40 AM

Having big raid be exactly double the small raid doesn't seem especially clever - as Devs almost always underestimate the effort in building the larger group. Then people all end up running more smaller raids.

If the spilt was 8/12 or even 12/16 it is more likely the community would do whatever they have people for rather than min/max everything. But not a big deal.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #8586 on: July 29, 2011, 03:36:19 AM

"Inside that Bag you can find class specific Items, or Badges which can be used to buy items. You don't have to fight for your rewards."

I hope they keep this as the only raid loot system.  I'm all for options but I think taking away master looter can only be a good thing.   Kind of disappointed that it's just flat higher difficulty = better gear but I'll reserve judgment till I see the highest difficulty I guess.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #8587 on: July 29, 2011, 03:48:53 AM

Wow already looks kinda silly with 25 people in a raid. 25 jedi hacking at the ankles of some ancient AT-ST knockoff would be blinding.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8588 on: July 29, 2011, 04:11:30 AM

Wow already looks kinda silly with 25 people in a raid. 25 jedi hacking at the ankles of some ancient AT-ST knockoff would be blinding.

Agreed.  16 seems even far-fetched right now.  Undoubtedly there will be newer classes in the future to add to the mix, but right now, yeah... why so serious?

As far as the loot system, it should work just fine for the casual "I'm here for the story, not to cut teeth, but I still like to get some trophies for my trouble" crowd.  Imagine if WoW went exclusively to this system  ACK!

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8589 on: July 29, 2011, 04:28:26 AM

I'd laugh and laugh and laugh.

The more I hear the more jazzed I am.  The loot system so far sounds like a variant of what I've always wanted to see and I've been a proponent of exactly this sort of loot system for years.  Limited loot and skinner boxes only says to me your encounters suck or your content cycle is so long you need that crutch to keep people coming back.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #8590 on: July 29, 2011, 04:30:47 AM

Wow, in DAoC the standard party size was 8.  In this it's a raid.  Get off my lawn!

Over and out.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8591 on: July 29, 2011, 05:26:28 AM

Wow, in DAoC the standard party size was 8.  In this it's a raid.  Get off my lawn!

It took over a decade for them to realize that "Less people = less bullshit drama = fewer CSM tickets"

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #8592 on: July 29, 2011, 05:41:09 AM

I'd laugh and laugh and laugh.

The more I hear the more jazzed I am.  The loot system so far sounds like a variant of what I've always wanted to see and I've been a proponent of exactly this sort of loot system for years.  Limited loot and skinner boxes only says to me your encounters suck or your content cycle is so long you need that crutch to keep people coming back.

This.  A thousand times this.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8593 on: July 29, 2011, 05:50:19 AM

Imagine...gone are the days of DKP systems and loot councils.  You just go in, kill shit, and everyone gets a slice of the pie.

*wonders if FoH will still play this game*  why so serious?

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #8594 on: July 29, 2011, 05:50:39 AM

I heard we lost companion kits, and even though I never actually knew what they were, I'm devastated and considering canceling my preorder.

You're joking but this is actually the reaction of some people on the official boards.  It's a feature that was only ever vaguely described and yet people have become so emotionally invested in the concept that they are rage-quitting.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8595 on: July 29, 2011, 05:53:34 AM

Seems pretty reasonable. It does seems like they are saying they think their content will be good enough that they don't need trick people into doing it for lots of big shiny over and over. On the other hand, the MMO genre has been built on repeating content over and over a LOT.  If their game really has enough content that this is a viable design decision, thats the most impressive news yet.   Either they or they are just jettisoning the hardcore crowd altogether, I suppose, which seems possible.  Kind of "fine, if you want to plow through everything in a week and then be bored, fuck off then"
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #8596 on: July 29, 2011, 05:56:00 AM

My guess on the most popular to least popular classeses is based on lore, "badass" representations in the movies, and playstyles.

Most Popular - Bounty Hunter: It will be the WoW hunter at the release of this game. Fuckers will be everywhere and complaining they can't get groups. Several variations will have Fett, Feet, Ftt, Fatt, etc.
2nd Most - Sith Warrior: Everyone played a dark side Jedi in KOTOR at least once, so this is a natural. Plus Darth whoseits are going to be rampant.
3rd Most - Sith Inquisitor: The Warlock of SWTOR. I fully expect it to have tons of caster types playing the sorc build, but it's not going to be as popular as the warrior because it's not canon.
4th Most - Imperial Agent: Nobody knows what this is. They made it up. It's not in any movies and has no background. Oh and it has a healer spec nobody will ever use.

If you're right this will be interesting since those classes are in order:

1) ranged tank
2) melee dps/melee tank
3) healing/ranged dps
4) ranged dps/stealth

Which means we'd see a game where tanks are everywhere (on one side at least)

Coming back to this.  One of the devs posted that in the randomly chosen beta populace 20% of all first characters are Jedi Knights (Luke and Obi-Wan) with only 8% being Smugglers (Han).  Remember that an equal breakdown would be 12.5%.

Also, betacake has seemingly been removed from existence.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8597 on: July 29, 2011, 06:00:49 AM

Imagine...gone are the days of DKP systems and loot councils.  You just go in, kill shit, and everyone gets a slice of the pie.

*wonders if FoH will still play this game*  why so serious?

With guaranteed drops your spot in the raid becomes the commodity. I am still wondering why no one does scalable encounters, this type of drop system seems perfect for it.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #8598 on: July 29, 2011, 06:07:16 AM

Obi-Wan: I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of hardcore raider's voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
[/quote]

Such a sweet, delicate sound for my ears  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #8599 on: July 29, 2011, 06:10:39 AM

My guess on the most popular to least popular classeses is based on lore, "badass" representations in the movies, and playstyles.

Most Popular - Bounty Hunter: It will be the WoW hunter at the release of this game. Fuckers will be everywhere and complaining they can't get groups. Several variations will have Fett, Feet, Ftt, Fatt, etc.
2nd Most - Sith Warrior: Everyone played a dark side Jedi in KOTOR at least once, so this is a natural. Plus Darth whoseits are going to be rampant.
3rd Most - Sith Inquisitor: The Warlock of SWTOR. I fully expect it to have tons of caster types playing the sorc build, but it's not going to be as popular as the warrior because it's not canon.
4th Most - Imperial Agent: Nobody knows what this is. They made it up. It's not in any movies and has no background. Oh and it has a healer spec nobody will ever use.

If you're right this will be interesting since those classes are in order:

1) ranged tank
2) melee dps/melee tank
3) healing/ranged dps
4) ranged dps/stealth

Which means we'd see a game where tanks are everywhere (on one side at least)

Coming back to this.  One of the devs posted that in the randomly chosen beta populace 20% of all first characters are Jedi Knights (Luke and Obi-Wan) with only 8% being Smugglers (Han).  Remember that an equal breakdown would be 12.5%.

Also, betacake has seemingly been removed from existence.

Betacake [Super seekret outlaw terrorist beta leak site] is simply moving to a new host (read it on its facebook page).

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #8600 on: July 29, 2011, 06:11:46 AM

They mentioned both currency and items so I don't see how that part changes.  You still appear to be dealing with drop tables, getting the wrong item, and needing to run the place repeatedly (either for more currency or because the item you want is never in your bag).

It's just that instead of "Oh no, Agility Leather Boots dropped and we have no Rogues or Feral Druids." it's "Oh no, Damage Mercenary Boots were in my bag and I'm a healer."

"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8601 on: July 29, 2011, 06:12:17 AM

"Inside that Bag you can find class specific Items, or Badges which can be used to buy items. You don't have to fight for your rewards."

I hope they keep this as the only raid loot system.  I'm all for options but I think taking away master looter can only be a good thing.   Kind of disappointed that it's just flat higher difficulty = better gear but I'll reserve judgment till I see the highest difficulty I guess.

Isn't this like the WAR system?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8602 on: July 29, 2011, 06:15:11 AM

Yes, the first thing I thought of when I heard about the system was WAR PQs and bag rewards.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #8603 on: July 29, 2011, 06:16:40 AM

I hope they keep this as the only raid loot system.  I'm all for options but I think taking away master looter can only be a good thing.   Kind of disappointed that it's just flat higher difficulty = better gear but I'll reserve judgment till I see the highest difficulty I guess.

Isn't this like the WAR system?
WAR had group pve content? why so serious?

I think it's more akin to COH (kill boss/complete TF -> everyone gets a piece of 'appropriate' loot scaled to the difficulty slider), and it's a good thing, too.

e: WAR PQs were also competitive, with only the highest-ranked people getting the good stuff and the bottom half not even getting a bag with a green usually. Considering that the scoring system was half random and half idiotic at times... yeah.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #8604 on: July 29, 2011, 06:22:52 AM

http://imgur.com/a/O6IZ9

Hardcore raiders just flip to running the 16 player raid as often as possible.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8605 on: July 29, 2011, 06:24:08 AM

Yes, the first thing I thought of when I heard about the system was WAR PQs and bag rewards.

Yeah that part, but Not just that, WAR had all quest loot class appropriate. IIRCC. Does SWTOR have this part as well? That would be rad if it did.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #8606 on: July 29, 2011, 06:29:01 AM

With guaranteed drops your spot in the raid becomes the commodity. I am still wondering why no one does scalable encounters, this type of drop system seems perfect for it.

Because trying to balance the same encounter for multiple sizes above a trivial difficulty is hard.  Trying to do so without regurgitating the handful of mechanics that scale somewhat cleanly among group sizes that can be double/half of one another is even harder.  (Hint: Fire being bad isn't one of those mechanics.)

Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8607 on: July 29, 2011, 07:16:38 AM

Because trying to balance the same encounter for multiple sizes above a trivial difficulty is hard.  Trying to do so without regurgitating the handful of mechanics that scale somewhat cleanly among group sizes that can be double/half of one another is even harder.  (Hint: Fire being bad isn't one of those mechanics.)

I wouldn't say its that hard, they have already designed around 2 group sizes. Just pick a 3rd or 4th milestone size between your min and max where you not only scale hp/dmg but you start adding the mechanics of the max group size fight. example

Fictional AT-AT raid in swtor:

8 man version - no extra gunners
16 man version - 2 side gunners to deal with
12+ - one side gunner

I has become tiresome to have to deal with hard limits on raid group sizes, with the need to over recruit for absenteeism or burnout and maintain rotations for raid spots.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8608 on: July 29, 2011, 07:18:57 AM

I too have been waiting for the flexible scaling raid system for a long time. It takes all the bricks out of the briefcase for a raid leader. The game that figures out how to do it is going to print money if it's polished well.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8609 on: July 29, 2011, 07:20:37 AM

Pretty cool loot system.

I just wonder how long "raid content" lasts then if you get loot every time.  I'd be curious if you get some loot for companions, and some side loot for yourself AND a badge.  

You then collect enough badges for the "Tier gear" so the life cycle of the raid content is the same as any other game, but this way everyone gets goodies every time you play which keeps people playing.  Slot machine mentality so to speak.

Kinda clever.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: