Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:49:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102072 times)
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #5880 on: April 04, 2011, 12:11:41 PM

Every SW novel writer should be shot into the sun.

Just Kevin J. Anderson. Most SW writers are mediocre. He's actively bad. Everything he's ever written, licensing tie-in or otherwise, has been bad.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5881 on: April 04, 2011, 12:27:54 PM

Ok, if you sign up under some odd name for Bat Country without first pm'ing me said name here, I'm just going to decline your app.

I mean, I can figure out who 'CmdrSlack' is, but 'steak'? C'mon. I want to reject that one just on general principles.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #5882 on: April 04, 2011, 01:06:00 PM

But an account is at steak!!

Ok. My bad.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #5883 on: April 04, 2011, 09:30:05 PM

Ok, if you sign up under some odd name for Bat Country without first pm'ing me said name here, I'm just going to decline your app.

I mean, I can figure out who 'CmdrSlack' is, but 'steak'? C'mon. I want to reject that one just on general principles.

There is a guy with the named steak on the boards.  I've seen him post here and there.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5884 on: April 05, 2011, 08:52:46 AM

Didn't see him in the Member List.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #5885 on: April 05, 2011, 11:22:30 AM

Just Kevin J. Anderson. Most SW writers are mediocre. He's actively bad. Everything he's ever written, licensing tie-in or otherwise, has been bad.

Also, as a general rule, no franchise should ever dare involve themselves with comics. Ever. It is the absolute best fucking way to make any franchise mind-gratingly (as in, like rubbing a cheese grater literally against your brain until you can't think about it anymore as a defense mechanism) bad.

Star Wars comics are a delightful example of that!

So's World of Warcraft, as it gave them Med'an the Super Everything Goku Marysue Fanfic Thing.

oh hell, you could point to practically anything.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5886 on: April 05, 2011, 11:26:37 AM

To be fair in WoW's case, it was thoroughly Mary Sue-d before the comic.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #5887 on: April 05, 2011, 11:30:21 AM

yeah but it's just that extra special plateau when marysue cannot restrain herself from designing characters that make Goku seem well-rounded and full of plausible weaknesses in comparison, then pegging your canon with it long and hard.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5888 on: April 05, 2011, 02:39:13 PM

Also, as a general rule, no franchise should ever dare involve themselves with comics. Ever. It is the absolute best fucking way to make any franchise mind-gratingly (as in, like rubbing a cheese grater literally against your brain until you can't think about it anymore as a defense mechanism) bad.

Star Wars comics are a delightful example of that!

So's World of Warcraft, as it gave them Med'an the Super Everything Goku Marysue Fanfic Thing.

oh hell, you could point to practically anything.

Huh?  There are some pretty good Star Wars comics out there, and as I've mentioned, I'm not even particularly a fan of Star Wars.  The Tales of the Jedi comics essentially created the setting that KotoR takes place in.  Besides that, the comics market is so small, I doubt most fans of any given franchise ever read any sort of comics tie-ins.  Certainly not enough to where it would damage the franchise.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5889 on: April 05, 2011, 03:00:09 PM

For some reason you can't just have a thing in Star Wars without changing it's name to be different. It's not hacking, it's slicing. It's not coffee, it's caf. I'm frankly shocked that hot chocolate got to be hot chocolate and not... hot spacechoc or something.

I'm not sure this is just Star Wars though. If the sci-fi is more or less Earth in the future this doesn't happen. But if it is primarily "someplace else" you see alot of this. Think of Farscape or BSG for example. Money is cubits? Cuss words are changed. "Frak" "Dren" etc...

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5890 on: April 05, 2011, 03:02:31 PM

I think the 'frak' stuff is just so they can swear during prime time. If it had been an HBO show it would have just been 'fuck' I'm sure.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #5891 on: April 05, 2011, 03:10:04 PM

Didn't see him in the Member List.

He might have been erased then, but I know I've seen him post here before.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5892 on: April 06, 2011, 11:18:02 AM

I applied to Bat Country, let me in!  Heart
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5893 on: April 06, 2011, 11:44:04 AM

Only if you start a fansite.

awesome, for real
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5894 on: April 06, 2011, 11:49:46 AM

If BC in TOR had any sort of traction, I'd foot the bill for one of the cooler "guild websites in a box" packages.

Anyway, according to the SA forums, Erikson said in one of the interviews at the UK thing that companions counted against your total group number, so two players could use two companions to run the group content.  Or three players and 1 companion.  So that's really good news.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #5895 on: April 06, 2011, 12:55:00 PM

It's good news if that bot can be the healer.  If the bot only gets to be the dps, not so much.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5896 on: April 06, 2011, 01:06:42 PM

Yep. In Guild Wars, healer heroes [aka TOR companions] made things go a lot smoother in general, and let the human players focus on 'the important stuff'*. Interrupter heroes worked great too due to their obviously-inhuman reflexes. I wonder if it'll be the same in TOR? Also, what is the extent of control you have over your companions?

* that said, I ran a healing-specced character with an army of heroes to kill stuff for me. It actually made the game play like a RTS, kinda.  awesome, for real

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5897 on: April 06, 2011, 01:07:28 PM

Only if you start a fansite.

awesome, for real

You think I'm crazy enough to make a fansite for anything Star Wars?  Pfft.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5898 on: April 06, 2011, 08:05:46 PM

Dunno about the companion thing. Looks like murky waters, companions for this but not that. And you know this will be blues and that will be purples. Because inclusive games should be about exclusivity!
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #5899 on: April 07, 2011, 09:27:21 AM

It's good news if that bot can be the healer.  If the bot only gets to be the dps, not so much.

Seems like a healer companion would be one of the easier AI to make. Most people would much rather play the game than watching mini health bars and in most games the healer game play is wack a mole tunnel vision on the health bars with limited situational awareness of whats going on around them.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #5900 on: April 07, 2011, 12:49:38 PM

Given some of the posts in this thread, it sounded like BioWare was considering removing or limiting the healing companions because they were too good - which would seem to support your theory that healing bots are easy to make.  So easy, in fact, that they render human healers obsolete.

So my thinking was, "if healer-bots are out, and I'm still waiting in the queue for a healer, then companions haven't really improved the game in any way".
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #5901 on: April 07, 2011, 01:11:40 PM

Pretty much.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5902 on: April 08, 2011, 04:19:42 PM

Today's update is a fairly lengthy article on advanced classes.  There's an interesting section on some of the ways they've changed each class due to testing, as well as what some of their testing metrics are.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5903 on: April 08, 2011, 04:43:54 PM

Those skill trees are entirely too full and bloated.  They should trim them down and streamline them now to remove choices and "bloat" before they do it in a huge, game-crushing expansion.  why so serious?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5904 on: April 08, 2011, 06:17:48 PM

Those skill trees are entirely too full and bloated.  They should trim them down and streamline them now to remove choices and "bloat" before they do it in a huge, game-crushing expansion.  why so serious?

Well it looks like they're going for a lot of flexibility within each class.  Half the classes (Trooper, Bounty Hunter, Consular, and Inquisitor) look like they can spec Healing, Tanking, Ranged DPS, or close combat DPS, depending on advanced class and spec.  Imperial Agent and Smuggler seem to lack tanking abilities, while Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior seem to lack healing, but other than that things seem fairly open.
DayDream
Terracotta Army

Reply #5905 on: April 08, 2011, 08:49:11 PM

Looks like they're giving each four base classes access to three roles, or two roles and duplication of one of them in some form or another.  So that's four classes times three roles, for at least twelve individually balanced classes, per side.  So twenty four classes assuming that the classes aren't carbon copies across sides.  Presumably most of them will have different optimal stat ratios and equipment.

Hope they've got room for all that in their budget.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #5906 on: April 08, 2011, 09:34:45 PM

Not that I wasn't expecting WoW in space, but... it's WoW in space. 
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #5907 on: April 08, 2011, 10:47:17 PM

at least twelve individually balanced classes, per side.

BioWare don't balance.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5908 on: April 09, 2011, 02:49:54 AM

There will probably be 2 healing-specced Bounty Hunters in the entire player population so they can skimp on balancing that one.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #5909 on: April 09, 2011, 06:05:34 AM

What they're doing is certainly ambitious, but hell on earth to properly balance.

And they would have had to have been much more ironed out and down to the tiny, tiny details by now if they really seriously wanted me to think they were going to be pulling that feat off in time. Instead, we get a bunch of "ooh, and this! we liked this, so we made it this! and OMG how about that! it is popular with our testers!"

mmh
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #5910 on: April 09, 2011, 06:13:13 AM

I don't think even WoW was balanced when it was first released was it?  Balance seems more of an ongoing process than an achievable state from what I can see.  They've got respecs available right off the bat so it's not like people are going to be permanently gimping themselves - though this will inevitably lead to a plague of flavour of the month builds every time they change something.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #5911 on: April 09, 2011, 07:41:36 AM

The biggest thing they're at risk of is multiple instances of the Paladin/Shaman problem.  Ignoring that, it's a reasonably simple set-up: eight Advanced Classes per side each with a shared tree with their classmate, a damage tree, and either a tanking/healing/(second) damage tree.

They're not going to get loads more healers and tanks because they opened the roles up to people who don't also want to be Jedi/Sith, but locking people into one role at character select in a holy trinity-based game at this stage is pretty dumb.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #5912 on: April 09, 2011, 08:08:49 AM

Did they answer the dual spec or not question yet? They were dodging it when last I read their forums.

WoW in space with no dual spec means fewer tanks and healers.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5913 on: April 09, 2011, 10:52:50 AM

If they would just put in Rift's ability to switch between several (four!) roles (specs) at a time, it would be a really nice step forward. However, each class would also have to be able to fulfill the role decently, unlike Rift. Get that right and they are a long way to longevity. Get it wrong and they'll get a few bored WoW vets waiting for something better to come along (like Rift did imo).
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5914 on: April 09, 2011, 02:14:16 PM

Did they answer the dual spec or not question yet? They were dodging it when last I read their forums.

WoW in space with no dual spec means fewer tanks and healers.

They mentioned in that article that you could respec for an unspecified amount of in-game money, but that's about it.  I wouldn't really expect anything like dual spec in at launch although I would think that it would be a fairly easy thing and worthwhile thing to copy.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: