Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:07:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102254 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #5495 on: February 16, 2011, 08:35:29 PM

Or finished for that matter.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5496 on: February 17, 2011, 01:47:57 PM

First off his grammar makes my head hurt.

Secondly innovation = swords and elves but like, in space.  awesome, for real

Thirdly, Star Wars is dark fantasy? Is he on drugs?

KOTOR2 qualfies. 'course, that wasn't Bioware.

'Coma inducing' and 'Dark' are not the same thing.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #5497 on: February 18, 2011, 04:34:13 PM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5498 on: February 20, 2011, 02:27:31 AM

Didn't the Warhammer guys say they had a bunch of secret, awesome techniques for ensuring that the sides would be population balanced? And didn't that not turn out so well?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #5499 on: February 20, 2011, 04:19:38 AM

Didn't the Warhammer guys say they had a bunch of secret, awesome techniques for ensuring that the sides would be population balanced? And didn't that not turn out so well?

A 'Dogs of War' system was mentioned that would attempt to auto-balance sides. It doesn't appear to have ever been implemented (or activated).

I'm wary of devs who say, "We're watching population balance closely," because I wonder what they think they can do about it on the fly. Shut down one side from getting new players? Still requires encouraging players to sign up for the weaker side. Rebalance side-related powers? That takes weeks when (after a title goes live) players don't wait that long when they are being soundly thrashed on a daily basis.

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #5500 on: February 20, 2011, 04:31:41 AM

As I recall they only did this when Forts were actively needed as part of the process to go to the city siege. All it was was a population cap for the number of people on each side that could go to the Fort so once the cap was hit you had to sit on your hands or keep running back to try and get in.  They eventually dropped the need to take Forts as part of the process to go to the city because they were incapable of fixing the heavy lag that occured even with the cap, it was just easier to remove it
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #5501 on: February 20, 2011, 05:45:35 AM

Their secret awesome technique amounted to a small xp buff to the side with too little population, which lasted until the side was actually balanced.  Most people don't want to reroll after the tenth server move, so for some reason it didn't affect much.  Sure some of the server merge people took advantage of it when picking where to move to, unfortunately the players on other side had to go somewhere, too.

Even on the healthiest servers which side was more powerful seemed to be a function of time of day.  Like morning were Chaos-dominated and evenings were Order.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #5502 on: February 21, 2011, 05:37:12 AM

Apparently, chaos is either unemployed or works the graveyard shift...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #5503 on: February 21, 2011, 10:52:01 AM

They could live in a different time zone.

Over and out.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #5504 on: February 21, 2011, 06:26:44 PM

True. Amended then, Chaos is either unemployed, third shift or a dirty foreigner.  why so serious?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #5505 on: February 23, 2011, 08:46:43 PM

More likely has to do with server collapses and large groups of players coordinating their moves to a single server.  Suddenly this Pacific server has a shitton of Atlantic timezone chaos players from the few surviving guilds.  But the counterpart order exodus rolled mostly Central instead.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #5506 on: March 03, 2011, 12:24:28 PM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #5507 on: March 03, 2011, 03:41:33 PM

Man there's going to be a ton of those running around roping people like calves.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #5508 on: March 03, 2011, 03:51:23 PM

I posit that grappling hooks, bionic arms, and spider web are more fun than guns for gamers.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #5509 on: March 04, 2011, 05:22:50 AM

Neat video.  I still have no idea what this game expects me to do when I log in though.

Edit: Well, not no idea, there are those instances and such, but I still feel like I have a really poor sense of what they're "going for."
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #5510 on: March 04, 2011, 07:49:59 AM

The Bounty Hunter class page is now revamped (along with new companion and ship pages, of course):

http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/classes/bounty-hunter

AC: Powertech and Mercenary
Companion: Mako
Ship: D5-Mantis

Boooo!!!

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5511 on: March 04, 2011, 08:00:00 AM

A little shade of my 'dark period' CoH character Cosmic Anomaly.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5512 on: March 04, 2011, 08:30:38 AM

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5513 on: March 04, 2011, 10:11:17 AM

Mmo combat is pretty much mmo combat.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5514 on: March 04, 2011, 11:03:44 AM

Yeah, it's almost like making fun of the retarded kid because he's retarded. You know he's going to drool on his shirt and pick his nose, and sometimes you feel real bad for him. Then you remember this retard is charging people money to do so, and looks even more completely retarded because it's all pew pew and not slash slash, which looks infinitely worse in MMO combat.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5515 on: March 04, 2011, 11:09:12 AM

People don't care how combat looks as long as the females all have big tits and the bad guys drop lots of shiny. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5516 on: March 04, 2011, 11:12:27 AM

Pretty much.  This doesn't look any better or worse than the Guild Wars 2 thief combat that was shown off yesterday.  MMO combat is just crap to watch.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #5517 on: March 04, 2011, 11:14:26 AM

Is it true they're making the players read the text quest aloud as it's displayed? I can put up with a lot of bad combat animations if that's the case.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #5518 on: March 04, 2011, 11:53:06 AM

People don't care how combat looks as long as the females all have big tits and the bad guys drop lots of shiny. 

Minor de-rail: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/03/02/april-cover-saints-third789.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

Would bling count?

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5519 on: March 04, 2011, 02:02:23 PM

Pretty much.  This doesn't look any better or worse than the Guild Wars 2 thief combat that was shown off yesterday.  MMO combat is just crap to watch.

I thought the Guild Wars 2 thief combat video looked much better actually, because at least the goddamn thief was moving in a somewhat plausible manner. If I have to watch those SWTOR vids with idiots standing behind knee high forcefield screens again, I will scream. Those things just look so patently ridiculous.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #5520 on: March 04, 2011, 02:37:01 PM

I thought the Guild Wars 2 thief combat video looked much better actually, because at least the goddamn thief was moving in a somewhat plausible manner. If I have to watch those SWTOR vids with idiots standing behind knee high forcefield screens again, I will scream. Those things just look so patently ridiculous.

I guess flanking is not in the design doc.  Nor is jumping over knee high fences.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5521 on: March 04, 2011, 05:12:37 PM

Well, if previous statements by the devs are to be believed, then only smugglers and imperial agents can use cover.

Ohhhhh, I see.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5522 on: March 04, 2011, 07:45:45 PM

Agreed on the stupid knee walls.
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #5523 on: March 05, 2011, 12:35:32 AM

GW2 video was also just a stream of someone who (I assume) was either 3 years old or never played an MMO before, this is supposedly a video edited to show off the best they can offer.
It still looked worse to me.

That said I'm still semi-excited; I just never fantasized about being a leather clad thief in fairyland when I was a kid, I was too busy jetpacking and raining down missiles on my marks  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #5524 on: March 05, 2011, 03:06:07 AM

That said I'm still semi-excited; I just never fantasized about being a leather clad thief in fairyland when I was a kid, I was too busy jetpacking and raining down missiles on my marks  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The problem for me is hotkey/action bar based combat.  I've played games with it for quite some time now, but in the end its a boring mechanic and I've never played a game that uses that system because I like the combat mechanics.  I play and have played them for other reasons, but quite frankly whether my character shiving someone in the back or shooting rockets because I pressed 111123111123 isn't all that important to me.   That being said, I like jetpacking and missiles, and this is why Tribes is one of of the best games ever.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #5525 on: March 05, 2011, 04:30:20 AM

Well, if previous statements by the devs are to be believed, then only smugglers and imperial agents can use cover.

Ohhhhh, I see.

It's a secret rightly taught only to few. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the chest-high wall.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #5526 on: March 05, 2011, 08:28:45 AM

... and that player e-peen glows brightly and can cut through metal, given the IP.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #5527 on: March 09, 2011, 09:53:57 AM

Guilds !

"System" page: http://www.swtor.com/info/systems/guilds

Guild Headquarters (pre launch guild program): http://www.swtor.com/guilds

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #5528 on: March 09, 2011, 10:08:35 AM

The FAQ is more interesting.  If you make a pre-launch guild, it'll be created on a server they select at random.  It also looks like guilds of differing factions can 'ally' with one another as dedicated opponents.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5529 on: March 09, 2011, 11:44:41 AM

If there are no objections, I'll head the TOR chapter of Bat Country. We would need a total of four guild members who pre-order the game to create the guild pre-launch. It would make the usual 'what server should we roll on' dance a lot simpler :)

Now the important question: Rebel or Imperial? Or should we do both with Bazooko's Circus?

Ok, for those interested in TOR:

Rebel or Imperial?
PvP, PvE or RP
EST or PST?

I'm pretty much torn. I could see Jedi or Trooper, but Bounty Hunters are just cool, too. Either way would be cool.

I say RP as always, but I'm dirty like that. Possibly if we run two guilds the other could be PvP?

EST for me.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:47:23 AM by Sky »
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: