Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:40:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102268 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4025 on: June 23, 2010, 10:53:56 AM

Right click was to attack with a basic attack, and it almost felt like an action game. It took a bit to get used to it though, because your "normal" right click attack almost counts as an ability, in that it activates a cooldown on your special abilities. So if you keep spamming what would be the Auto-Attack in other MMO's you wouldnt be able to use any special abilities. You have to make the effort to stop attacking that way and attack with a special ability instead. Long story short you cant be attacking with a basic attack and spamming special attacks at the same time, you have to choose between one or the other.. every half second!
Combat wise, this concerns me more than anything else I have heard about the game so far at all.  I am definitely not a fan of spamclicky nonsense.  I won't be able to say anything for certain until I can actually play and see how it feels, but I suspect I will be very unhappy if I am forced to constantly click or right-click.

It's probably a default setting.  I would imagine you can make "1" be basic attack.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #4026 on: June 23, 2010, 03:02:04 PM

It looks like Bioware started sending out a VERY limited amount of closed beta invites (a hundred or so, maybe), for a 48-hours period of testing or something. Official forums are burning with enthusiasm and rage, of course :P

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=155341

If you also check the developer tracker, you'll see that  Ashen Temper Sean Dahlberg was quite vague about the whole thing (while confirming that you can actually say that you are in beta, but ONLY that).

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Tearofsoul
Terracotta Army

Reply #4027 on: June 23, 2010, 06:47:11 PM

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 06:51:24 PM by Tearofsoul »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4028 on: June 24, 2010, 06:57:56 AM

There must be some mistake, because I don't see a beta invite in my mailbox.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #4029 on: June 24, 2010, 07:00:25 PM

Great, another annoying beta where you can only play between the hours of 11:12AM and noon every third tuesday like warhammer. I hated that crap.

OK, sour grapes. I spent a full hour signing up under a dozen different email addresses the day registration opened. If I got in I'd be all jumping around in my undies making lightsaber noises knocking over furniture right now. Zschoooo! Zchhhhummm! Vrooooooodeee!
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4030 on: June 25, 2010, 12:02:53 AM

I've heard from someone who got one the "beta invite" emails that its a fake.  Don't know if its true or not yet.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4031 on: June 25, 2010, 05:48:53 AM

I've heard from someone who got one the "beta invite" emails that its a fake.  Don't know if its true or not yet.

Beta invites as a means to install a key logger?  That's brilliant! 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4032 on: June 25, 2010, 08:35:42 AM

Might be a good idea to check the links in the mail.  Every once in a while the gold farmers aren't lazy and make stuff look legit.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #4033 on: June 25, 2010, 12:51:20 PM

Looks like I'll be playing a trooper in this game, which I kind of expected. I love the grunts.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4034 on: June 25, 2010, 09:08:42 PM

I dunno about Ginaz's friend, but the beta is definitely going on right now, from 5 PM central earlier yesterday (the 25th) through midnight on the 28th according to the launcher.

They definitely only got a hundred or so people, though, so I don't feel too bad about missing a beta invite this round.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #4035 on: June 28, 2010, 11:37:04 AM

I dunno about Ginaz's friend, but the beta is definitely going on right now, from 5 PM central earlier yesterday (the 25th) through midnight on the 28th according to the launcher.

They definitely only got a hundred or so people, though, so I don't feel too bad about missing a beta invite this round.
I'm VERY happy indeed to say that invites are still going out.  I just got in. Check your spam boxes, folks.

Edit: Upon close reading of the NDA, I'm allowed to post that I'm in but posting a screenshot of the invite itself may be a violation, so I removed it. Don't be sad, you're not missing much.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:03:17 PM by sam, an eggplant »
Tearofsoul
Terracotta Army

Reply #4036 on: July 02, 2010, 06:11:35 PM

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #4037 on: July 02, 2010, 06:55:58 PM

Zane0
Terracotta Army

Reply #4038 on: July 02, 2010, 07:37:16 PM

What an incredible piece of shit.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4039 on: July 02, 2010, 08:50:24 PM

What exactly were you guys expecting? They're not trying to reinvent the wheel, just make a polished SW IP dikummo.

Also, they've shown that footage before, but it didn't have DD's voice-over.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #4040 on: July 02, 2010, 09:02:30 PM

Calling footage where characters don't cast any shadows "polished" is a bit of a stretch.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #4041 on: July 02, 2010, 10:19:09 PM

Imps.

Imps.

Edit: I dunno, I thought I liked it. Just hate how they use Imps for Imperials.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:21:30 PM by Lorekeep »

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Bill
Terracotta Army

Reply #4042 on: July 03, 2010, 04:05:58 AM

We're all going to play it for a month I'm sure (maybe the endless torrent of generic immersive dialogue will add an other week or so) but shit, that video made it look utterly dull.

"The trooper is going to tank" - Awesome, that's money well spent there Bioware!
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #4043 on: July 03, 2010, 04:40:18 AM

4 classes, relatively constrained looking skill bars, plastic people and cheesy dialogue and the addition of the "jedi healer" to the canon. I'm glad my expectations for this title were already fairly low. If I'd dreamed they were going to add something to the genre I'd probably be weeping about now.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4044 on: July 03, 2010, 05:42:24 AM

What an incredible piece of shit.

Calling footage where characters don't cast any shadows "polished" is a bit of a stretch.

This just in:  People who disliked every previous SWTOR video dislike most recent SWTOR video!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #4045 on: July 03, 2010, 06:23:35 AM

This just in:  People who disliked every previous SWTOR video dislike most recent SWTOR video!

Hey, to be fair, I liked the cinematics   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #4046 on: July 03, 2010, 07:14:36 AM

I was a bit on the fence but now I'm leaning a tiny bit more toward liking it. It's got a somewhat slow pacing but I'm not seeing that as a bad thing. As much as I like WoW, sometimes things get a bit too frenetic. This at least gives me the impression I'll be able to relax a little and think things out. This was better than the previous vids in giving a feel for how the game is going to play.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #4047 on: July 03, 2010, 10:10:41 AM

Yeah, it's diku combat. Why are you people surprised by this? With the kind of money they're investing in the title, they need to aim straight for the mass-market. Besides, diku combat works pretty damn well. The healing side not so much, but hopefully Bioware has some ideas to fix diku healing and make it less about playing pop a mole.

I look at SWTOR as eight KOTORs in one box, since each class has entirely individual questlines and there's supposed to be zero duplication. Eight KOTORs for $60 seems like a pretty good deal. As I play through those eight KOTORs, I'll check out the multiplayer options as I go. If they suck, I'll quit when I hit maxlevel. Either way, I'll certainly get my sixty bucks worth.

And not to belabor the point, but SWTOR is a looooooooooong way from release. Current release date is spring 2011, but they have the budget to take their time to iterate and polish.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 10:14:33 AM by sam, an eggplant »
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #4048 on: July 03, 2010, 10:15:16 AM

The fact that you people seem to think there is going to eight separate single player games worth of story to this game is beyond quaint.  This is an MMO, you will get an MMO worth of story, which means questing.  You may get some deviation depending on your class but don't expect much, if you played AOC you will know exactly what you're getting.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #4049 on: July 03, 2010, 10:17:57 AM

I'm not surprised by it, but that doesn't make it less stupid either. Ok, so our trooper is gonna tank this guy, and our Jedi Knight is going to DPS and off tank and our other jedi is going to heal and our smuggler is going to pew pew pew from cover.  

Nothing could possibly make me less interested.   We've all played this game already.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #4050 on: July 03, 2010, 10:18:41 AM

Yeah, it's diku combat. Why are you people surprised by this? With the kind of money they're investing in the title, they need to aim straight for the mass-market. Besides, diku combat works pretty damn well. The healing side not so much, but hopefully Bioware has some ideas to fix diku healing and make it less about playing pop a mole.

I look at SWTOR as eight KOTORs in one box, since each class has entirely individual questlines and there's supposed to be zero duplication. Eight KOTORs for $60 seems like a pretty good deal. As I play through those eight KOTORs, I'll check out the multiplayer options as I go. If they suck, I'll quit when I hit maxlevel. Either way, I'll certainly get my sixty bucks worth.

And not to belabor the point, but SWTOR is a looooooooooong way from release. Current release date is spring 2011, but they have the budget to take their time to iterate and polish.

Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #4051 on: July 03, 2010, 10:20:23 AM

HAHAHAHA

Yep, they went full retard with the four class being 100% tank, mage, rogue and healer.  Fucking sad.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #4052 on: July 03, 2010, 10:24:55 AM

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4053 on: July 03, 2010, 10:25:11 AM

That's exactly what I pictured it to be.  People are surprised?  

4 classes, relatively constrained looking skill bars, plastic people and cheesy dialogue and the addition of the "jedi healer" to the canon. I'm glad my expectations for this title were already fairly low. If I'd dreamed they were going to add something to the genre I'd probably be weeping about now.

Those are low level characters so of course their skill bars are going to be small.  Though the graphics need some help, I'm assuming their graphics engine is not fully running because they won't release that way.  If they do though thats pretty  awesome, for real

I'm not sure what people were expecting.  We have seen some of these videos for a while now.

You're also not seeing the companions yet either.  Remember that.  That would allow the healers to fight a little bit if they have a healer bot with them.

I guess people are angry because they can't be a moisture farmer.  And sam is right.  It's a bunch of KOTORs in a single MMOverse.  Seems like a good deal to me.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4054 on: July 03, 2010, 10:28:01 AM

This thread is starting to look as negative as the one about the last James Cameron movie before it was released. I'll be amused if it turns out the same way.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #4055 on: July 03, 2010, 10:33:13 AM

The fact that you people seem to think there is going to eight separate single player games worth of story to this game is beyond quaint.  This is an MMO, you will get an MMO worth of story, which means questing.  You may get some deviation depending on your class but don't expect much, if you played AOC you will know exactly what you're getting.
All I can say is that I have high hopes for SWTOR's single-player experience.

NDA
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4056 on: July 03, 2010, 10:41:26 AM

That's exactly what I pictured it to be.  People are surprised?  

Those are low level characters so of course their skill bars are going to be small.

There are actually people who like only having two or three skills. Many of these people post here.

Personally I think they are crazy.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #4057 on: July 03, 2010, 10:42:00 AM

Everyone has high hopes for the single player experience.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #4058 on: July 03, 2010, 10:46:05 AM

I guess people are angry because they can't be a moisture farmer.

I'm angry they're going with the same old "three jobs required, two of which nobody likes" routine we're all sick of.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #4059 on: July 03, 2010, 10:55:25 AM

Its worked since EQ  Ohhhhh, I see.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: