Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 08:18:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2250813 times)
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #2030 on: July 30, 2009, 08:39:10 PM

If they was making Guild Wars I would buy it at launch, but it looks closer to Hellgate London so I'll wait a year before even considering to buy to see if the social experiments are over.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #2031 on: July 30, 2009, 08:42:35 PM

Looking back on this thread, I was as right on page 3 as I am now and there hasn't been any new info to really change that (other than: raid guild players are developing the end game content  awesome, for real). BioWare / Lucasarts / EA started the hype on this way too early. They will be bitten on the arse by it when they start announcing feature details or changes that upset a fanbase fuelled by dreams and promises.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2032 on: July 30, 2009, 08:57:54 PM

But the tears will be oh-so-sweet.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #2033 on: July 30, 2009, 09:04:12 PM

All most makes me wish I had front row seats.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2034 on: July 30, 2009, 09:29:51 PM

That question about races in the iGN interview made me nervous.  They aren't even willing to say "oh, there will be multiple races, but we aren't talking about them yet."

The fact that they won't even ADMIT to non-humans is...interesting.  I'm betting on a big glorious reveal where they say you can only play humans and droids, because they want to make it YOUR adventure and have you identify with a human character, etc. (read:  too expensive to get VO when you have to give differing voice options for every alien species). 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #2035 on: July 30, 2009, 09:46:55 PM

(read:  too expensive to get VO when you have to give differing voice options for every alien species). 
I don't think the VO cost would be the reason, not when previous KotOR games would simply use 2-3 looped sounds for anything the alien species would say (and even though obvious, it worked surprisingly well)

Thinking more of it, this could be the actual problem -- aliens speaking their own languagues would force the player to read subtitles, pretty much removing the whole VO advantage.

But that said, there's one alien in the cinematic trailer (the Sith spy class, iirc). So maybe they will be playable, guess we'll see.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2036 on: July 30, 2009, 09:49:48 PM

If alien races are playable, why not say that and not reveal any more detail?  There is something unusual brewing here. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #2037 on: July 30, 2009, 09:56:41 PM

If alien races are playable, why not say that and not reveal any more detail?  There is something unusual brewing here. 
Well either that or saying that would send their PR people into shit fit how "dev is sappin' mah authority". The careful arrangement of announcements for teasers for reveals of sneak peeks into twitter clues that some info may be coming, to generate maximum hype... that's srs business  swamp poop
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2038 on: July 30, 2009, 10:38:01 PM

I'm trying to think back to who...or rather what...didnn't speak, well, English in the movies.  Major characters, anyway.  Wookiees.  Jawas.  Hutts.  Twileks.  The dude that rode shotgun with Lando in RotJ.  The hammerhead shark looking things.  The big lizard (Bossk?).  Everyone else (in the movies, anyway) spoke English:  The fish guy, zabraks. 

So.  Who knows what they're planning on doing, cause they sure as shit ain't telling.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2039 on: July 31, 2009, 08:37:14 AM

I just hope I get to play the game more than I have to watch/read/think about it.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #2040 on: July 31, 2009, 09:34:05 AM

I certainly hope at least some non-human races are playable.  I can understand not wanting to deal with the ones that supposedly can't speak galactic Basic so they can stick with fully acted ones.  I've never understood why they didn't allow a few additional races in KOTOR, considering it really would just have amounted to a few changes of models.  There's no particular reason why Revan couldn't have been a Twi'lek, for example, considering they had full models for those.

Presumably, though, the only individuals who don't speak galactic Basic either can't (physically incapable of it) or live on such remote backwaters that they don't need to.  Some Star Wars nerd may come in and correct me on that, but this is the observation of an average 'I kinda like Star Wars' observer.  Hell, even the physically incapable of it is a questionable reason not to, since they could presumably have mechanical assistance to create the necessary sounds.

On the other hand, either race is utterly meaningless to the story, which might seem a little odd, or each new race causes at least two more dialogue paths to have to be written and voiced for a considerable number of interactions.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2041 on: July 31, 2009, 09:58:58 AM

Story has carried Bioware in spite of shitty mechanics before. 

P(Hellgate) > P(Kotor)

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2042 on: July 31, 2009, 09:59:53 AM

That.  Is.  Awesome.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #2043 on: July 31, 2009, 10:01:13 AM

I'm waiting for bioware to prove to me that their not making Hellgate london.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2044 on: July 31, 2009, 11:05:15 AM

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2045 on: July 31, 2009, 11:09:58 AM

Epic win.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2046 on: July 31, 2009, 12:36:58 PM

You people don't actually even know what you want from this game, do you.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #2047 on: July 31, 2009, 12:52:08 PM

I want Guild Wars with a Star Wars IP.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2048 on: July 31, 2009, 01:01:42 PM

Co-op KOTOR.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2049 on: July 31, 2009, 01:11:13 PM

Blue tits.

I'll make the prediction: non-human races will be available for purchase in the EA Store.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2050 on: July 31, 2009, 01:58:00 PM

I don't get it.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2051 on: July 31, 2009, 02:11:36 PM

Blue tits.

So that's where blue milk comes from...

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #2052 on: July 31, 2009, 02:52:14 PM

Man, you're, like, Bizarro Oban.

Also:
I want Guild Wars with a Star Wars IP.
This.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2053 on: July 31, 2009, 03:08:57 PM

I don't want GW with a SW IP. I think I want just a working shared world with a SW IP that doesn't try to cockblock me with
random revamps of the way the game is played every couple of years.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2054 on: July 31, 2009, 03:11:46 PM

I don't want GW with a SW IP.

GW bored me silly.  I didn't think the world implementation was bad, just the combat/classes/world design was bland to my tastes. 

-Rasix
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #2055 on: July 31, 2009, 03:22:14 PM

Wouldn't a coop kotor3 have been better marketed as some new game for the wii and your 3 friends?  The whole mmorpg is going to bite them in the ass.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2056 on: July 31, 2009, 03:26:47 PM

No, it won't.  Might bite the MMO players in the ass, but it won't bite them.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #2057 on: July 31, 2009, 03:37:47 PM

I just meant that "mmorpg," creates an expectation of something that maybe this game is not, and perhaps a repackaging of the concept before release might be in order, but hey, for all the complaining in here, there is tons of excitment in the outside world about the new Star Wars Mmo.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2058 on: July 31, 2009, 03:55:02 PM

MMO players need to be bitten in the ass.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2059 on: July 31, 2009, 06:40:06 PM

Blue tits.

I'll make the prediction: non-human races will be available for purchase in the EA Store.

My cynicism agrees with you.  You'll be able to buy light saber colors other than blue or Red from the EA Store as well.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2060 on: July 31, 2009, 07:04:30 PM

Who needs any color besides red?

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #2061 on: July 31, 2009, 07:14:38 PM

Plenty of crazy KotOR fans. Some of the colours they make, i didn't even know existed.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2062 on: July 31, 2009, 07:26:38 PM

Plenty of crazy KotOR fans. Some of the colours they make, i didn't even know existed.

They don't, according to Lucas, other than in the EU.  Which gives me the giggles every time I think of it.   Mace was the sole exception, and only because Jackson wanted to stand-out in his scenes.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #2063 on: July 31, 2009, 07:29:17 PM

Will my alt, a force sensitive bisexual blue titted twi'lek cheese crafter, have to pick up combat skills to get to her partner's house?

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2064 on: August 01, 2009, 08:02:37 PM

Will my alt, a force sensitive bisexual blue titted twi'lek cheese crafter, have to pick up combat skills to get to her partner's house?

Undoubtedly.  If there's any one thing that MMOs all manage to disappoint me with, it's tying everything non-combat into combat.  With the sad, sad exception of pre-revamp Horizons.

The lightsaber color comment, yeah, it's even more likely in my mind now that we will see something like DDO Unlimited.  If it's not that, it will be World of Star Wars.  If it somehow turns out to be a good game... I'll really wish it wasn't Star Wars.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: