Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:51:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2071737 times)
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #560 on: March 31, 2009, 11:43:18 AM

Bioware is new to the MMO scene, but I have the utmost faith in that company.

Statements like this have an awesome track record when it comes to MMOs.  awesome, for real

I wouldn't make that statement if this was their first gaming product. Like Blizzard, they developed several major games prior to taking on an MMO. So they go into this with a lot more experience than many others.

Yeah I'm a Bioware fanb0i, where's my fucking lightsaber?!

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #561 on: March 31, 2009, 11:54:09 AM

Like Blizzard, they developed several major games prior to taking on an MMO. So they go into this with a lot more experience than many others.

Yeah I'm a Bioware fanb0i, where's my fucking lightsaber?!

KOTOR - Very good game
KOTOR 2- Sucked, especially the rushed/unfinished ending.
Mass Effect - Hey lets have a hundred side quests that involve running around the same goddamn ugly ass terrain to assault bases with the exact same maps!

Aren't they also responsible for the abortion that is/was Neverwinter Nights 2?  I love D&D and I can't bring myslef to play that game because the controls/interface are so terrible.

Now Bioware+Black Isle... thts some classic stuff.  But since the Torment/BG game era they have been pretty meh.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #562 on: March 31, 2009, 12:01:56 PM

KotOR2 and NWN2 were made by Obsidian.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #563 on: March 31, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

They have never developed a shitty product

I assume you've never played Neverwinter Nights?

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
schild
Administrator

Reply #564 on: March 31, 2009, 01:36:21 PM

You sonofa. You're gonna make me repeat myself again, aren't you? Just because you don't want to read the thread.

As retired gaming press, you should really be more informed.

Edit: Look, this is how it is, unfortunately. Right now, Bioware Austin is like a bunch of griefers who got their names changed in an MMOG to avoid being noticed on sight as griefers. Now, they may or may not have changed and they may or may not have gotten themselves together, but until they PROVE otherwise, they are not "new to the MMO scene" or deserving of any amount of "faith." Remember, people don't really change, companies even less so.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 01:40:48 PM by schild »
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #565 on: March 31, 2009, 02:53:13 PM

Bioware Austin as a company name is new to the MMO scene, sure.  The people that make up Bioware Austin and are tasked with lead positions, however, are not.  Look at the names I posted a page or so ago:

Gordon Walton - Studio head (SWG (tanked), The Sims Online (tanked), UO (successful because of lack of competition and being a forefather of MMOs?))
Rich Vogel - Vice President (SWG (see above), UO (see above), M59 (tanked))
Damion Schubert - Lead Combat Designer (M95 (see above), Shadowbane (to quote Haemish - sb.exe, pigfuckers), The Sims Online (see above))
Dallas Dickinson - Lead Content Designer (SWG (see above), EQ (see UO))

I'd argue that EQ and UO were successful in spite of themselves because they were new and no one knew what to expect and didn't know any better.

But nevertheless, zebras don't change their stripes.  You can't honestly say that they've all had some eureka moment in that 'Hey!  Now I get how to make non sucky MMGs!!!.   The only person that gets somewhat of a pass is Walton, who came into SWG and tried to rescue it after the fact - then bolted in '04 after *possibly* seeing how lost of a cause it was.  Looking back on it, SWG was doomed from the beginning and no amount of patching was going to slow the sinking ship.

The one name that I really kinda laugh at is Dallas Dickinson as the Lead Content Designer.  Just how much content did SWG have while he was there?  Pretty much none.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #566 on: March 31, 2009, 02:55:57 PM

I heard MDK2 was pretty good - so this should be too.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 02:58:01 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #567 on: March 31, 2009, 07:01:34 PM

You sonofa. You're gonna make me repeat myself again, aren't you? Just because you don't want to read the thread.

I had a good laugh. I was about ready to invoke EDMONTON for ya, but realized I was a page behind  awesome, for real

No new infoz at all. Anyone expect anything at E3? Anyone care?
schild
Administrator

Reply #568 on: March 31, 2009, 07:03:34 PM

Bioware Austin as a company name is new to the MMO scene, sure.  The people that make up Bioware Austin and are tasked with lead positions, however, are not.  Look at the names I posted a page or so ago:

Gordon Walton - Studio head (SWG (tanked), The Sims Online (tanked), UO (successful because of lack of competition and being a forefather of MMOs?))
Rich Vogel - Vice President (SWG (see above), UO (see above), M59 (tanked))
Damion Schubert - Lead Combat Designer (M95 (see above), Shadowbane (to quote Haemish - sb.exe, pigfuckers), The Sims Online (see above))
Dallas Dickinson - Lead Content Designer (SWG (see above), EQ (see UO))

I'd argue that EQ and UO were successful in spite of themselves because they were new and no one knew what to expect and didn't know any better.

But nevertheless, zebras don't change their stripes.  You can't honestly say that they've all had some eureka moment in that 'Hey!  Now I get how to make non sucky MMGs!!!.   The only person that gets somewhat of a pass is Walton, who came into SWG and tried to rescue it after the fact - then bolted in '04 after *possibly* seeing how lost of a cause it was.  Looking back on it, SWG was doomed from the beginning and no amount of patching was going to slow the sinking ship.

The one name that I really kinda laugh at is Dallas Dickinson as the Lead Content Designer.  Just how much content did SWG have while he was there?  Pretty much none.

I'm almost tempted to take a picture of this and turn it into a giant emote called :austinware: or :zebras:
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: April 01, 2009, 06:32:09 AM

As retired gaming press, you should really be more informed.

This thread is 17 pages long, and I've read it and seen the arguments. I'm not saying your point of view is wrong, but in this case I think its one of those "in the eye of the beholder" perspectives.  I've played most Bioware games, and they were all great. Bioware has never produced a massive MMO where thousands of people are on the same server playing together, but neither had Blizzard when they made WoW.  But both companies had a good track record of making good games prior to jumping into MMO's.

They could very well release their MMO and its plagued with all sorts of problems. But since I'm 99% jaded towards all other dev studios, I like to hold out that 1% ray of hope for Bioware. 

Now I've seen the arguments about whether this game is going to be GW/Diablo, LotRo, etc but it doesn't really sound like anyone truly knows. All we know is that the game will have individual story arcs, there's going to be some multi-play component, and no one really knows much about the community component. The more details I get the more happy or skeptical I will get as well, but thus far I haven't seen anything that would make me lose faith in this company.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #570 on: April 01, 2009, 07:04:17 AM

The point is look who's in charge of making the game.   Ohhhhh, I see.
schild
Administrator

Reply #571 on: April 01, 2009, 07:15:28 AM

but in this case I think its one of those "in the eye of the beholder" perspectives.

But it's not. What the hell are you talking about?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #572 on: April 01, 2009, 07:24:08 AM

I think waylander has lost his mind. 99% jaded by other devs? Bioware Austin /ARE/ those other devs! It's more like if Blizzard had hired McQuaid to make WoW. You can't QA your way out of a shitsack.

Now, if Bioware had made an in-house mmo (I don't consider austinware in-house, really, they're mercs), using the team that made BG2, I'd love it. It would be heavily story-based, fully instanced and awesome. And mmogtards would hate it for not being enough of an mmo (as if that ever really makes a game better).

So SWTOR will probably be just enough of a compromise between what Austinware wants to do and what Bioware advises them to do, that it will suck for both folks like me and also the mmogtards. You've got to embrace the niche from the design doc and funding stages or you fail.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #573 on: April 01, 2009, 08:31:22 AM

Mmmm throwing the argument of faction imbalance to a friend of mine about the usual 'too many sith, too little jedi players'. He mused 'maybe that problem wouldn't crop up if the Sith are allowed to backstab each other just like how it turned out in KOTOR1'

Perhaps it's worth considering, but I'm still doubtful.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #574 on: April 01, 2009, 08:56:26 AM

Now, if Bioware had made an in-house mmo (I don't consider austinware in-house, really, they're mercs), using the team that made BG2, I'd love it. It would be heavily story-based, fully instanced and awesome. And mmogtards would hate it for not being enough of an mmo (as if that ever really makes a game better).

Well, regarding the quoted paragraph, lead designer is James Olhen, who was Director of Writing and Design of Baldur's Gate I, II and Knights of the Old Republic I; dunno if it was mentioned in here, but supposedly Karpyshyn, lead writer of Mass Effect, has temporarily joined the project as well.

So, at least on the story/lore/writing side of the project (which should be a prominent aspect, in their words), we should expect something of decent value; now, regarding the overall design/fun value...heh Head scratch

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #575 on: April 01, 2009, 08:59:12 AM

Mmmm throwing the argument of faction imbalance to a friend of mine about the usual 'too many sith, too little jedi players'. He mused 'maybe that problem wouldn't crop up if the Sith are allowed to backstab each other just like how it turned out in KOTOR1'

Perhaps it's worth considering, but I'm still doubtful.

Heh, so Sith are FFApvp but Jedi are Between-Realm only PVP? That'd be interesting.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #576 on: April 01, 2009, 09:00:13 AM

So, at least on the story/lore/writing side of the project

Story in MMOG...

The truth points to itself. Even LotRO with its vast amount of stories has to rely on a decent game (which it wasn't at release).

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #577 on: April 01, 2009, 09:01:25 AM

supposedly Karpyshyn, lead writer of Mass Effect, has temporarily joined the project as well.

Permanently; his last day here is Friday.

He was also the lead writer of ME2, and was the guy who let you Force-persuade Zalbaar to kill Mission.

- Henry Cobb
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #578 on: April 01, 2009, 09:02:22 AM

Then buy that man a beer from me. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: April 01, 2009, 09:29:39 AM

Permanently; his last day here is Friday.

He was also the lead writer of ME2, and was the guy who let you Force-persuade Zalbaar to kill Mission.
So...not only will the mmo feature crappy mmo gameplay from "experienced" mmo vets, but it'll clear out the talent from the good arm of Bioware, too? Fuck.

Hate to sound so negative, because I srsly love Bioware, but I have a baaad feeling about this...
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #580 on: April 01, 2009, 11:00:03 AM

KotOR2 and NWN2 were made by Obsidian.

So they sub-licensed their valuable and successful IP to a developer who turned out shit-on-a-stick.  This does not fill me with confidence.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #581 on: April 01, 2009, 01:14:35 PM

After which they proceeded to make other successful games using their own IP rather than licensed IP.  Seems like a solid decision.

Also, it's reasonably likely that Obsidian would have done a good job with KOTOR2 had Lucasarts not pushed them to release a title that was in development for less than a year, if I remember correctly.  Not that I'll defend KOTOR2, it's a half-finished game at best, but the blame definitely lies with LA, because it's clear that the parts of the game that got reasonably well done rather shine.  These are, after all, many of the old Black Isle people.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
DayDream
Terracotta Army

Reply #582 on: April 01, 2009, 01:18:52 PM

hey, does anyone know who exactly is in charge of NWN1's online component?  I seem to remember Blizzard getting some practice for WoW on the technical front by running battle.net.  It still went nuclear at launch for popular servers, but it was technically sound, as I remember it.

Not that that will save a game from poor design and worse execution, but it may shade the level of failure it one direction or another.
Zane0
Terracotta Army

Reply #583 on: April 01, 2009, 02:06:15 PM

KOTOR 2 is both an unfinished piece of shit and the best thing to come out of the Star Wars property since JK2.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #584 on: April 01, 2009, 04:05:34 PM

What's up with all the bashing?  Relax, it's made by Bioware.  If any company can pull this off, it's them!

edit : bah. no one bite  Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 07:10:09 PM by Aez »
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #585 on: April 01, 2009, 04:06:42 PM

but in this case I think its one of those "in the eye of the beholder" perspectives.

But it's not. What the hell are you talking about?

But schild, they've made so many mistakes they have to get it right this time, right?  RIGHT?!

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #586 on: April 01, 2009, 05:13:58 PM

After which they proceeded to make other successful games using their own IP rather than licensed IP.  Seems like a solid decision.

"Hey guys, instead of continuing to develop:

A.  the most popular science fiction franchise in the history of the universe and
B.  the most popular role playing system in the history of the universe.
C.  Both of  which were amazingly successful, have an enormous audience and could have built a franchise that would have lasted for a decade.   

Instead, let's go over here and ride bikes/make generic fantasy and sci-fi settings of our own.  Surely they will be as popular as these beloved classics."

Viva jade empire!!!!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #587 on: April 01, 2009, 06:03:55 PM

Considering the title and subject of this thread: perhaps not.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #588 on: April 01, 2009, 06:07:46 PM

it'll clear out the talent from the good arm of Bioware, too? Fuck.

Of course not!

I'm still here.

¬_¬

- Henry Cobb
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #589 on: April 02, 2009, 07:04:52 AM

I'm still here.
LOOOK OUT, BEHIND YOU!

IT'S AN MMO!
Kovacs
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: April 02, 2009, 10:56:16 AM

...it's a half-finished game at best, but the blame definitely lies with LA, because it's clear that the parts of the game that got reasonably well done rather shine...

hmm....

And is there a list somewhere of MMO's that haven't {Tanked} or {Succeeded despite itself}?  Is it a list of one?  I just ask, A. because I'm curious if there's a decent MMO I should be playing and 2. I'd wonder if that would mean that every developer that didn't work on that title would be at best, DevX (MMOY {Tanked}) but did some decent work, or you know, Hartsmann.   He sucks, it sucked, seems to be the universal theme and given the number of new titles being announced/pre-reviewed it seems I would have come across at least one "Holy christ that guys awesome, this new title's going to be grrrrreat!" Yes Tony the Tiger, no I'm unapologetic.

Anyway, I really don't have any skin in this game as I'm pretty sure that SWTOR, the new Massive Single Player Online Game (rushed out of the studio by LucasArts half done X3 TM) is probably not going to get my money, just curious really.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: April 02, 2009, 11:09:55 AM

We're missing the obvious here. Star Wars fucking sucks. It's objectively terrible. Hence, a game based on Star Wars is doomed to suck goat nuts.
schild
Administrator

Reply #592 on: April 02, 2009, 11:12:21 AM

We're missing the obvious here.

No one is missing that. The few good SW games have been outliers. And the people that like the movies are being nostalgic. I've tried going back and watching them, but even the first 3 are pretty cringeworthy most of the time.

The problem is that most sci-fi is even worse than Star Wars, so we're left with slim pickings.
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #593 on: April 02, 2009, 11:13:16 AM

...it's a half-finished game at best, but the blame definitely lies with LA, because it's clear that the parts of the game that got reasonably well done rather shine...

hmm....

And is there a list somewhere of MMO's that haven't {Tanked} or {Succeeded despite itself}?  Is it a list of one?  I just ask, A. because I'm curious if there's a decent MMO I should be playing and 2. I'd wonder if that would mean that every developer that didn't work on that title would be at best, DevX (MMOY {Tanked}) but did some decent work, or you know, Hartsmann.   He sucks, it sucked, seems to be the universal theme and given the number of new titles being announced/pre-reviewed it seems I would have come across at least one "Holy christ that guys awesome, this new title's going to be grrrrreat!" Yes Tony the Tiger, no I'm unapologetic.

Anyway, I really don't have any skin in this game as I'm pretty sure that SWTOR, the new Massive Single Player Online Game (rushed out of the studio by LucasArts half done X3 TM) is probably not going to get my money, just curious really.
You should try Warhammer Online, it's pretty good and is generally looked at as the way to do MMO gaming "right".
schild
Administrator

Reply #594 on: April 02, 2009, 11:20:46 AM

Not even in sarcasm should one be baited to "trying" WAR with the grind it has. It is, in fact, the definition of doing gaming wrong. MMO gaming is just a mess and should only be addressed as such.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: