Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:29:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2071356 times)
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

on: October 22, 2008, 12:54:54 PM

I haven't really been following this too closely, but I also havent' seen the announcment posted here:

It’s a very exciting time at BioWare as today we are announcing one of the most anticipated Massive Multiplayer Role Playing Games (MMORPG), Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

http://www.swtor.com/

Edit: damn, it was buried in the other thread.  Den me!
edit: ok don't den me.  Also link fixed thanks to EWSpider
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 03:41:53 PM by Jayce »

Witty banter not included.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 01:07:44 PM

Needs a new thread anyway.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 01:10:19 PM

Needs a new thread anyway.

I kind of thought the same.
fatboy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 01:23:09 PM

agreed.

wish I could go to the link, but alas, I am at work    Tantrum

If you don't want to hear the answer -- don't ask the question.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 01:23:56 PM

That link didn't work for me, try this one:

http://www.swtor.com/

The game looks really bland and uninteresting from what I've seen so far, but I'm more interested in whether or not they used the Hero Engine and how that's working out for them.

most often known as Drevik
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 01:25:08 PM

Here's what we know so far:

1) No combat details
2) No class progression details beyond it being personal story arcs at first/for awhile (implication is AoC Tortage)
3) NPC henchmen are in. You can socialize with them in various forms including furry stuff romance.
4) Graphics are way early but not inspiring. Example 1. Example 2.
5) No idea on schedule.
6) No idea on beta.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 01:30:00 PM

I don't know what a "story-based MMO" entails, but that doesn't sound very fun.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 01:37:17 PM

from Darn's good list and the opinions in the other thread it sounds very very GW-like.  Which is very surprising and disappointing.

This is EA and they are not big on risk.  But they could've given WoW a run for its money if was a full MMO, not just a hub&spoke online story board.

But wait and see. 
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 02:12:40 PM

Unless its voiced over, it means more text to skip and hit "Accept".

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 02:16:51 PM

You know those unskippable cutscenes whenever you make a new character in WAR?

It'll be like that after every quest.
Tige
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 02:27:36 PM

Options/Sound/Disable Voice Overs

I learned that after one trip through town in eq2.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 02:40:09 PM

hub&spoke online story board.

That's a cool way of saying it. I may need to steal it smiley
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 02:42:21 PM

Not even worth speculating or talking about at this stage. Really. Think of all the shit that other MMOs promise at that initial press release to be part of the game at launch. Hero classes? (WoW) Dogs of War to balance RvR? (WAR) etfuckingcetera.

Expect one part KOTOR and two parts WoW with less polish than the latter and a minimum 6-month-release pushback. Wake me this time next year. Or in 2010.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
AngryGumball
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 03:05:08 PM

Dogs of War to balance RvR? (WAR) etfuckingcetera.

Yeah that one really had me sold on WAR something I was interested in I was suckered.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 03:59:23 PM

They should have called it SWOTR instead: Secret Weapons Of The Republic! SWotR is a much more snappy acronym.

So, we get ANOTHER Star Wars game, that has no starship combat.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 04:23:52 PM

I wouldn't bet on that.  They know it was idiotic of SWG to ship without space, and I rember a job posting in the other thread about them looking for people who have worked on space sims.  It was one of the earliest clues this was going to be Star Wars.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 04:25:48 PM

There better be some F13 exclusive beta invites...

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Checkers
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 04:48:06 PM

Ugh.  Again with two factions . . .
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 05:12:33 PM

Well, it *is* Star Wars. You're either with Yoda or against the wall when the furry wookie revolution comes.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 05:24:24 PM

I want to be excited, but I'll be damned if I can summon any interest.  Maybe when they have something playable, and it doesn't turn out to be another boring grindfest full of amateur hour cock-ups at every turn.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 05:26:55 PM

Bioware saved Star Wars for me once already, so it will take a lot of disappointing news and schedule slips and feature cuts and the like to burn through their buffer of  Heart Heart Heart.

Given that this is an early MMO announcement though, I won't rule it out.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 05:28:13 PM

One of the factions is the Sith, whom there was only ever supposed to be two of.

After I post this, I am forgetting this game exists.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 05:44:23 PM

This is EA and they are not big on risk.  But they could've given WoW a run for its money if was a full MMO, not just a hub&spoke online story board.
I thought they started this pre-EA?
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 05:46:26 PM

One of the factions is the Sith, whom there was only ever supposed to be two of.

After I post this, I am forgetting this game exists.

Oh no you din't.  Anyone want to take this one? 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 06:08:13 PM

I'll do it. I suppose it's only right.

The Sith Order only instituted the "Rule of Two" in the aftermath of the Seventh Battle of Ruusan, when Darth Bane betrayed and annhilated the existing Brotherhood of Darkness, about 3000 years after the KOTOR era and 1000 before the movie era. Prior to this, the Sith had numbers roughly equal to the Jedi. While the Jedi have always basically been the same, the Sith have gone through a number of die-offs and resurgences, with the title "Darth" dropping in and out of use and the structure changing drastically more than once.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle. This message brought to you by the f13 resident Star Wars dork.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 06:23:24 PM

Not even worth speculating or talking about at this stage. Really. Think of all the shit that other MMOs promise at that initial press release to be part of the game at launch. Hero classes? (WoW) Dogs of War to balance RvR? (WAR) etfuckingcetera.

Have they even reached that stage in development where they overreach and overpromise ground breaking features yet?  Cause I don't see it based on the announcements so far.  While it's fun to snicker when OMG GREAT STUFF gets scaled back or cut entirely until the game is eventually released as a dessicated clone of a 10 year old game this announcement seems kind of conservative and meh-worthy.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 06:33:32 PM

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Wrong IP!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 22, 2008, 06:57:52 PM

Those lightsaber hilts are freaking huge.  It's like they're holding champagne bottles with beams coming out of them.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 08:19:23 PM

They should have called it SWOTR instead: Secret Weapons Of The Republic! SWotR is a much more snappy acronym.

Star Wars Battlefront.

Republic Commando. (? Did they have space pew pew in that? I only played like the first few levels.)

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Taonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 10:51:40 PM

By the 2 screenshots posted, it looks like there going for subscriptions rather then graphics.

It looks like the WoW engine, but with starwars models.

Crap graphics + simple gameplay seems to be the way forward in the MMO gaming market.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 23, 2008, 01:41:16 AM

How dare they chase those pesky subscriptions. awesome, for real
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 23, 2008, 01:46:42 AM

Star Wars Battlefront.

Republic Commando. (? Did they have space pew pew in that? I only played like the first few levels.)

Battlefront didn't. Battlefront II did but it was pretty arcadey and not so much on the X-W:A sim side.

Republic Commando didn't. On the other hand, it did have big explosions.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 23, 2008, 02:04:45 AM

Flash site. For the sake of humanity, just stop. I can't browse it even if I wanted to.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 23, 2008, 02:12:41 AM

Star Wars Battlefront.

Battlefront didn't. Battlefront II did but it was pretty arcadey and not so much on the X-W:A sim side.

Republic Commando didn't. On the other hand, it did have big explosions.

Mah point is that while I like Star Wars space (when it's done good) it's not necessary for a good SW game.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 23, 2008, 02:15:24 AM

I'll do it. I suppose it's only right.

The Sith Order only instituted the "Rule of Two" in the aftermath of the Seventh Battle of Ruusan, when Darth Bane betrayed and annhilated the existing Brotherhood of Darkness, about 3000 years after the KOTOR era and 1000 before the movie era. Prior to this, the Sith had numbers roughly equal to the Jedi. While the Jedi have always basically been the same, the Sith have gone through a number of die-offs and resurgences, with the title "Darth" dropping in and out of use and the structure changing drastically more than once.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle. This message brought to you by the f13 resident Star Wars dork.

We appreciate you geeking out so we don't have to.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: