Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:23:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Saints Row 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Saints Row 2  (Read 25609 times)
LanTheWarder
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: November 04, 2008, 01:11:27 PM

I love this game, but damnit if they didn't fix the random freeze issues that the first one suffered from.

At least they added auto-save so you don't have to worry about erasing two hours of play time with a freeze, which coincidentally is why I stopped playing the first one.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: November 04, 2008, 04:16:19 PM

I'm all up for Co-Op after I finish Fallout 3 and assuming no other bombs drop...

...shit. Bombs be dropping every day this month. Shit.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #37 on: November 04, 2008, 04:39:38 PM

Yes, 3 freezes, made me learn  to save as soon as I complete a mission. Also made me hate them for not putting an autosave function, like GTA.
Uh, it does have autosave. Actually, the game autosaves after you complete anything in the game. Looks like you either disabled it or somehow you're missing the very obvious "Autosave" at the top of the load list.

Indeed, saw that today. Makes me wonder how the fuck i managed to lose progress after a freeze.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #38 on: November 04, 2008, 05:06:49 PM

It may have been that you were doing one of the longer missions which have way points. The game doesn't save those way points, so you would have to restart that entire mission.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #39 on: November 04, 2008, 09:33:45 PM

Roomie and I just finished the game and so far this has been the greatest co-op experience I've ever had in a video game. THQ/Volition set out to make a game solely for the purpose of being fun and nothing else. They weren't trying to be too serious, realistic or mind blowing. They set out to go back to games that didn't take themselves too seriously and made every attempt to provide you with hours of fun. Maybe it was that we played co-op through the entire game, but of course the content did weigh in on how or when we had fun. Overall, for me, this beats GTA4 hands down.

Oh, just before we shut the game down after we beat the hidden mission and got our completion achievement, we started shooting at each other. My roomie dropped off the bridge to get me as I ran under and died on impact. I was laughing hysterically at his misfortune when out of no where came a car that was speeding because of our fire fight. Slams into me and kills me. It was the perfect way to end the game and reminded me why co-op makes games just that awesome.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 04, 2008, 11:20:33 PM

I've heard that 360 users experiencing freezes can correct the problem by clearing the HDD cache - YMMV, however.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 04, 2008, 11:37:51 PM

Overall, for me, this beats GTA4 hands down.

No contest. For pure fun factor SR2 is on another level - and factoring in the coop, a whole other league. Which totally went against my *expectations*, after enjoying GTA4, SR2 seemed a blatant copycat trying to be "X-treme GTA" - how wrong I was. Turns out Volition had the better gameplan by quite a bit.

As far as freezes, I've had exactly one. After it happened I took a look at my disc - and it had a weird spotty film on it, took a cloth and wiped it down, haven't had a freeze after that in quite a few hours of gameplay. No idea if this is what's affecting others, just my experience.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 11:40:23 PM by AcidCat »
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #42 on: November 22, 2008, 08:31:05 PM

Pretty sure freezes are because of a software bug, not a disc thing. I've installed to HDD and have still had a freeze now.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 22, 2008, 11:35:13 PM

With the GTA4-VC deal on Steam this weekend, I was debating whether to get it or wait for SR2 next year. All I had to recommend SR were happy memories of the FreeSpaces (and the untapped potential in Red Faction 1), and the knowledge that Eliza Dushku did some VA.

This thread has convinced me to wait. For now I will remain the only gamer in North America to have never touched a GTA title. Thanks for the discussion - I'm looking forward to playing.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #44 on: November 23, 2008, 12:43:52 AM

If you have a 360, I also recommend playing through SR1 first.

Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: November 23, 2008, 11:12:56 AM

I love this game.  I have 42x respect, all but 2 missions done, and most of the activities I can be bothered to complete.  Co-Op is all love.  Me and a buddy have been playing LAN style with me bringing my ps3.  Fun shit.

GOTY contender for me.

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #46 on: November 23, 2008, 12:48:25 PM

Maxed out my respect now, by doing most of the side missions. Just have Insurance Fraud (need to try that dump truck thing), Trail Blazing (both difficult and Not Fun, Mayhem (seems much harder than in SR1) and the races to go I think. Don't know if I'll bother with the Crazy Taxi and Crazy Ambulance and Crazy Fire Truck side-side missions or not.

Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 23, 2008, 04:13:08 PM

Mayhem is easier Co-op.  You can chain combos with satchel charges for huge points.  I think we have a top combo score of $1.7m now.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #48 on: November 24, 2008, 10:39:59 AM

So, after all of this mention about co-op, would this be a good title for the single player alone?  Trying to pad my Christmas list some and I'm really not a co-op gamer. 

Also, PS3 or 360 version, either version have problems?

-Rasix
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 24, 2008, 11:16:53 AM

I played through the entire story solo and it was good fun - good enough to basically replay the entire game with my brother in co-op.

I've had a couple of lockups to date (PS3 version), but nothing that would put me off recommending it to anyone.  360 users are reporting similar infrequent lockups as well.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #50 on: November 25, 2008, 04:20:03 AM

Nod. Just played it in SP for about 3-4 hours, and while I'm sick of the side missions/distractions to the point where I'll probably just say "fuck it" to finishing them, the main story is quite a lot of fun. I may come back to some of it in co-op once I've finished it and taken a break.

LanTheWarder
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: November 25, 2008, 09:28:12 AM

I rented the game and played through it in a couple of weeks then sent it back. I think it's a great game but I don't see much reason to buy it.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: November 25, 2008, 10:09:31 AM

Oops! Looks like I spoke too soon.

I don't reward publishers for shoving ads in my face. No exceptions.

- Henry Cobb
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: November 25, 2008, 10:12:23 AM

They are so bad that I haven't even noticed them after 34 hours of play!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 10:23:55 AM by Moaner »

Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: November 25, 2008, 10:22:42 AM

As far as I'm concerned, putting ads for real products in games set in 'present' times, in places where said ads make sense, is entirely fine.  So in Saint's Row 2, ads are fine with me as long as they're designed as part of the game world.

Now if you try to tell me that Orc Warriors drink Coca-Cola, that's different.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: November 25, 2008, 12:45:27 PM

As far as I'm concerned, putting ads for real products in games set in 'present' times, in places where said ads make sense, is entirely fine.

I agree with that in principle, actually. But I also believe that the more tolerance gamers show towards in-game ads, the more places publishers will try to cram them in. Since THQ has a long term contract with Massive, my zero-tolerance here is to preempt the possibility of Coke ads on the sides of Eldar buildings in Dawn of War II.

I know I'm being unreasonable. But it's principled unreason!

- Henry Cobb
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #56 on: November 25, 2008, 12:58:40 PM

This thread has convinced me to wait. For now I will remain the only gamer in North America to have never touched a GTA title.

Since you are boycotting SR2... Currently you can get GTA San Andreas on XBL for about $20. If they put it on steam for that price I would recommend trying it, as it was much more fun than GTAIV.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: November 25, 2008, 01:01:23 PM

If there was advertising in SR2, I sure didn't notice it.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: November 25, 2008, 01:10:37 PM

Well, the article is dated yesterday and cites the 24th as the date the agreement was reached/signed, so there's probably going to be a bit of ramp-up time before you start seeing ads in anything.  I'd be unsurprised to see ad support rolled into a future update for the game though, hopefully along with something else like new guns or missions or something.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #59 on: November 25, 2008, 04:00:35 PM

If it makes sense and fits in with the game, it doesn't worry me, and can even ad to immersion. IE a Coke billboard in SR2, or the buckets of KFC lying around in the background of GHWT, or the billboards in any racing or sports game being covered in sponsorship shit. Coke ads in Dead Space might not work as well though.

Ads don't affect me anyway.

Might pick up some KFC for diinner tonight on the way home, though. And have a nice, cool can of coke from the work fridge with my lunch...

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #60 on: December 10, 2008, 11:45:00 AM

I got the game finally. For me the coop is everything that GTA4's should have been. I love it.

While not a fan of the Thug Lyfe, its so over the top that I can deal. Also, being able to customize your gang's style is a great touch.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: December 10, 2008, 12:52:53 PM

I also finally got the game.

While not a fan at all of the Thug Lyfe, it's so over the top that I can deal.  Also, being able to customize your character, all your vehicles and your gang's style is a great touch.  I'm a Customization Whore.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Isn't there supposed to be some downloadable content for this game at some point, too?

Over and out.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #62 on: December 10, 2008, 03:23:14 PM

Also, being able to customize your character, all your vehicles and your gang's style is a great touch.  I'm a Customization Whore.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I only listed Gang Style, because you could do all that other stuff in the first one.

One thing I always liked about SR was that if you stored a car in your garage, it was yours forever. In GTA I always would store the good cars, but then never use them, "cause I might need it later". In SR, if you ditch a car it goes back to your garage, and if you total it, you can pay to have it repaired back in your garage. I love that.

Also, Cruise Control is a good send, it makes shooting people while driving so much easer.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #63 on: December 11, 2008, 06:29:02 AM

I'm in love with this game now, but holy crap is the Mall mission for the Sons a pain. Checkpoint my ass.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #64 on: April 05, 2009, 11:50:17 PM

So anyone from f13 with a 360 keen to do some co-op in this thing? I've got some time off work so that means I'll be online when you guys usually are.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #65 on: April 06, 2009, 09:35:40 AM

So anyone from f13 with a 360 keen to do some co-op in this thing? I've got some time off work so that means I'll be online when you guys usually are.

I am pretty much always down for some coop. I love this game. Add me as a friend and send me an invite when you see me online.

Xbox Live Name: rup3t
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: April 06, 2009, 11:29:49 AM

So anyone from f13 with a 360 keen to do some co-op in this thing?
I am pretty much always down for some coop. I love this game. Add me as a friend and send me an invite when you see me online.
Xbox Live Name: rup3t

Same, just finished the game co-op but would love to work on achievements/strong arm, etc.
Gamertag: binfuser
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #67 on: April 06, 2009, 05:42:54 PM

added!

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #68 on: April 07, 2009, 03:28:28 AM

Had a ball doing some co-op with fuser this afternoon, and finally finished the game today.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Now I'm ready for Tara Patrick, Microbiologist.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
I should now also go back and finish Just Cause, I guess.  swamp poop

Still up for some co-op achievement whoring though. Send me a message if I'm playing something else (except the music games - if one of them is on it means my wife is playing the 360).

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: April 07, 2009, 05:51:19 AM

Still up for some co-op achievement whoring though. Send me a message if I'm playing something else (except the music games - if one of them is on it means my wife is playing the 360).

http://www.msxbox-world.com/features/Saints-Row-2/stilwater.php

There's the map of all the jumps/cd's/spray/barnstorm locations. It's a real PITA as it "resets"/reloads everytime you mark something as complete. Click on the icon's for better detail/pic's of the locations.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Saints Row 2  
Jump to: