Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:00:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Family Guy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Family Guy  (Read 32480 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #70 on: October 04, 2010, 02:21:42 PM

They did indeed replace Diane with the blonde chick. Also, the Rush Limbaugh episode was complete crap and painfully unfunny. They really REALLY need to stay out of political stuff because it comes off as ham-fisted schlock rather than witty or incisive indictments of American politics. When we get to "messages" the comedy gets tossed out the window.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #71 on: October 04, 2010, 03:05:10 PM

Also, it broke continuity.  It's already been established in the Family Guy universe (and it is known to the Griffins) that Rush Limbaugh is Fred Savage.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #72 on: October 04, 2010, 04:31:35 PM

Also, it broke continuity.  It's already been established in the Family Guy universe (and it is known to the Griffins) that Rush Limbaugh is Fred Savage.

Yeah and they brought it up that anything on Fox News must be a lie, even if it's true.  Ohhhhh, I see.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: October 04, 2010, 04:54:55 PM

I managed to see this episode and thought how it was an arena that Family Guy should have stayed the fuck out of. I kept trying to figure out what it was they were trying to say since it was clear to me they wanted to say something, but all I got was "putting a positive spin on Rush in time for the mid-terms."

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #74 on: October 05, 2010, 07:00:11 AM

I managed to see this episode and thought how it was an arena that Family Guy should have stayed the fuck out of. I kept trying to figure out what it was they were trying to say since it was clear to me they wanted to say something, but all I got was "putting a positive spin on Rush in time for the mid-terms."

Essentially, this is the same feel I got. I was pissed first because it wasn't funny, but I was also pissed because the timing was so obvious and it was completely transparant that they were trying to make a point. I totally agree with you as well that whatever point they tried to make was lost. I also don't think for a second that Seth could stop his own politics from dominating the episode, which killed the comedy.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: October 05, 2010, 12:20:31 PM

This is what happens when Family Guy strays too far from manatee gags and the Chicken and Peter fighting for 15 minutes straight.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #76 on: October 05, 2010, 02:43:14 PM

This is what happens when Family Guy strays too far from manatee gags and the Chicken and Peter fighting for 15 minutes straight.

The sad part was they even included a song, which is usually gold, but this one was just vanilla.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #77 on: October 05, 2010, 03:24:33 PM

My take on it was Mr. Murdoch caught an episode and said "Wtf is this bullshit.  This isn't in-line with what I want on our networks. GIVE ME WHAT I WANT."  So they did a throw-away episode to counter all the left-sided stuff that the show usually does and let Rupert go back to ignoring them while reaping the profits.    (I'm still waiting for them to catch on that Stewey's homosexual imaginary friend & teddybear is named the same as the chariman of the board.)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: October 06, 2010, 03:33:35 AM

I've switched to watching Rubicon.   I've watched FG since it started but it's just ran out of gas.  The mystery episode got ONE good laugh out of me (the Jew in Texas).  One laugh an hour isn't worth my time.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: October 06, 2010, 04:26:58 PM

While it is getting stale, my biggest gripe w/ FG is when they drag gags out way too long.  Like Peter and the Chicken fighting. 

Speaking of Peter.  I know he's supposed to be a bumbling dumbass, but it's to the point where it's so obnoxious that I just want to punch McFarlane.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: October 06, 2010, 09:40:18 PM

Speaking of Peter.  I know he's supposed to be a bumbling dumbass, but it's to the point where it's so obnoxious that I just want to punch McFarlane.
They did the same thing to Homer Simpson too.  He went from being a bumbling guy who at least tried (but usually failed) to such a drooling idiot you wonder how he remembers to breath.  I see Peter moving this direction too and it's not that thrilling to me.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #81 on: October 11, 2010, 11:53:34 AM

While it is getting stale, my biggest gripe w/ FG is when they drag gags out way too long.  Like Peter and the Chicken fighting. 

I thought the last episode where he finds out Carter is having an affair had some funny moments. The attempt to blackmail him by treating his hot tub as a toilet, the stab at French police sirens sounding like a gay threesome, and Peter trying to develop catchphrases were all really funny.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: October 11, 2010, 06:23:40 PM

I thought the last episode where he finds out Carter is having an affair had some funny moments. The attempt to blackmail him by treating his hot tub as a toilet, the stab at French police sirens sounding like a gay threesome, and Peter trying to develop catchphrases were all really funny.

I liked it more than the last two. Got some laughs out of me.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #83 on: October 12, 2010, 07:03:17 AM

Oh and I forgot about him singing a toned down version of Bird is the Word while holding the jukebox over his head to reconcile Carter and Babs. That was awesome.

WayAbvPar

Reply #84 on: October 12, 2010, 11:22:08 AM

Caught the Limbaugh ep last night on Adult Swim. Mostly unfunny, but there were a couple of laughs. Also, I was wrong about Diane- She is 'DEAD!', according to Ollie.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #85 on: November 08, 2010, 08:10:59 AM

Halloween episode was predictable and not good. I was very on board with the idea since I've loved all the FOX animated takes on Halloween over the years, but this one fell on it's face.

Funniest moment, Stewie firing wildly into the crowd of trick-or-treaters with a machine gun before he figures out that they are not under attack by real monsters.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: November 24, 2013, 10:02:14 PM

Dragging this thread back from the dead because....

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #87 on: November 25, 2013, 10:20:58 AM

I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop... and then it didn't. 

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: November 25, 2013, 04:00:45 PM

I think they run with it for a half season or so before they go the time travel route...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #89 on: November 25, 2013, 04:17:38 PM

They explicitly broke the time machine with no way of fixing it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #90 on: November 25, 2013, 04:40:25 PM

Many a blogger is speculating this is McFarlane sabotaging the show so he can move on.  He's made it known he's tired of it and wants to do other things, and I'll admit I had the same thought when I realized this was 'for realz.'   It'd be incredibly stupid of him since all his other endeavors have been flops, but hey, everyone makes rash decisions.

Given the angst and rage and whining I've seen around it, this certainly could be the final nail in the coffin.  I said earlier in this thread it felt like he was doing more and more to flip the viewer the bird with the random non-narrative tangents.  (i.e. the whole Conway Twitty number, later followed by the entire "Dancing in the Streets" vid)

None of those did anything but strengthen the remaining viewers, though.  This doesn't seem to be getting the same 'ha ha, way to break TV expectations' forgiveness.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #91 on: November 25, 2013, 04:51:02 PM

Vinny is a complete Italian stereotype, too. He's a legitimate bit player character, like Quagmire, but as a full time family member? I would need more depth that didn't come off well in the first episode.

If this is Seth sabatoging the show, it's an odd way to do it. If that's what he's doing, it's also very strange that he would kill off the character that actually holds his real voice, almost like he's killing a part of himself.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #92 on: November 25, 2013, 05:00:49 PM

Q&A about this with executive producer Steve Callaghan:

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: November 25, 2013, 07:03:17 PM

Vinny is a complete Italian stereotype, too. He's a legitimate bit player character, like Quagmire, but as a full time family member? I would need more depth that didn't come off well in the first episode.

If this is Seth sabatoging the show, it's an odd way to do it. If that's what he's doing, it's also very strange that he would kill off the character that actually holds his real voice, almost like he's killing a part of himself.

Meh, he's got another new show coming to Fox next year.  I doubt Seth is tired of all the wheelbarrows of money that he's making, that he'd intentionally kill off Family Guy. 
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #94 on: November 25, 2013, 08:49:48 PM

It'd be incredibly stupid of him since all his other endeavors have been flops, but hey, everyone makes rash decisions.

Ted was the exact opposite of a flop.  A budget of $50,000,000 and a US box office of over $200,000,000.  That's not counting DVD or international. 

American Dad is also on its ninth season, and he has Bordertown about to premier.  He's also currently directing/acting/writing in his second feature film.

He isn't sabotaging anything.  Even with Family Guy he's been able to do all of the above and more.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: November 25, 2013, 08:52:05 PM

It got enough attention to resurrect a 3 year old thread!

Over and out.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: November 26, 2013, 08:14:27 AM

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #97 on: December 15, 2013, 06:28:25 PM

Welp, Merry Christmas Brian.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #98 on: December 17, 2013, 10:50:55 AM

Did nobody else see this? I thought it was very funny. The Christmas Story Chinese Guys were one of the best parts of the gags.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #99 on: December 17, 2013, 11:09:57 AM

Sorry, I was watching The Good, The Bad, and The Randy. why so serious?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Family Guy  
Jump to: