Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:52:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Star Wars : The Clone Wars 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars : The Clone Wars  (Read 30475 times)
Reg
Terracotta Army

on: October 05, 2008, 03:26:48 AM

I saw the first two episodes last night. I liked the animation but the characters and story left me cold. Perhaps it's supposed to be purely a kid's show.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 03:30:36 AM

The one by Genndy Tartakovsky is great.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 03:47:20 AM

I'm talking about the new series that just started the other night. I had no idea there was another animated Clone Wars before this one.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 05:17:31 AM

Yea, the first set of Clone Wars animated were traditional-style animations. Those were awesome.

I haven't seen the most recent movie but did watch the two new episode from Friday. I think the show needs some time to hit its stride. It looks good imho, if you like the new art style. But the episodes felt a bit slow in pacing. Some of that I think is due to them maybe wanting to take their time and explain the new characters and plots though.

I'm not up on tween-targeted cartoons though. Are they usually a lot of dialog with a bit of action and taking-forever-to-get-to-the-point story arcs?
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 05:25:44 AM

That's got nothing to do with modern tween cartoons. It has to do with the fact they want to mimic anime. That bullshit is a direct result of Japan not letting cartoons that are hot just go their merry way. Sure, there are a few that died during their prime, Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop come to mind, but a lot of American cartoons flow like DBZ, Naruto, etc. They're unwatchable IMO. If you can't tell a story in 26 episodes, it's instafail for you (at least with me). Odd since every single Japanese live action TV show manages to somehow only be 13-26 episodes and if they SOMEHOW MAGICALLY get a second season it's a completely new story.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 02:25:58 AM

I'm enjoying it so far.  Its nothing mind blowing, but its pretty good.

And the show before it rocks all kinds of ways.

If nothing else, they will both tide me over till Spectacular Spider Man starts up again.

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 02:30:54 PM

I like parts of it.  The visuals are first rate.  I don't know how much I like the character style but it's done well, and the overall effects and settings are excellently presented.  I geeked out a little when I saw Anakin leading a strike force of Y-wings, and they were shiny new, with engine covers and everything!  I always wondered what a non-stripped one would look like.

Unfortunately, it seems that the writers feel that in order to capture that authentic "Star Wars Experience," they need to write the most cringe-worthy, awful-horrible-fuck-me-in-the-earhole dialogue.  I guess they want it to be as much like the prequels as possible, for better or for worse.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 02:53:02 PM

I attribute that to the younger target audience, along with crazy antics of those whacky droids. Except they clearly show people dying. Sort of a contradiction that.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 02:57:33 PM

I attribute that to the younger target audience, along with crazy antics of those whacky droids. Except they clearly show people dying. Sort of a contradiction that.

They're not people. They're clones.. kill all you want we'll make more!

It IS an interesting distinction from the old "You must show a parachute from every downed aircraft" of G.I. Joe.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 04:11:39 PM

They're not people. They're clones.. kill all you want we'll make more!

Actually, they're making a point of dispelling that, what with the personalities they're giving the clones. Which kinda feeds back into the question of age appropriateness in a show where Grevious' "battle hardened troops of the Federation(tm)" age like a bunch of 6 year olds on chocolate.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 09:33:24 PM

Now that episode blew me away. Maybe because I wasn't expecting more than silly kids fare, but I have to say that was pretty bad ass. Holy crap commando droids!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 10:06:28 PM

WTF with the confusing name overlap?

This is the good one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cAKqnIc4eI

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 11:30:55 PM

The one by Genndy Tartakovsky is great.
I have to agree with this.

I'm not a star wars fans by any definition of the word. I'm 23 and saw the entire trilogy for the first time about 3 years ago.

But I saw the Genndy Tartokovsky cartoon after that. Until that point, I never quite understood what my friends were talking about. They did it right and they did it right for the generation that it was released in. Animation is such a perfect and natural form for the imagination of what jedi could be to flourish in.

Old series, amazing. CG new series... why? If you strike gold, finish mining the fucking vein.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 04:55:22 PM by ashrik »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 08:48:45 AM

WTF with the confusing name overlap?

This is the good one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cAKqnIc4eI

We're sorry, this video is no longer available.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 11:06:29 AM

Wow, that was quick.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 11:18:23 AM

Worked for me.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 02:10:32 AM

Works for me too.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Belal
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 01:49:25 PM

I've only seen two episodes but I am enjoying it I was hoping my son would get it to it so I could have an excuse to watch it during the day.  He does not so I will probably only see a few more episodes.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 03:01:14 PM

Caught the first 4 episodes and the show is actually pretty decent.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 01:13:55 AM

Lasta episodie was Jar Jar! Mesa like!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 07:44:47 AM

It wasn't as bad as it could have been. I just don't like too much whacky antics in general, but for this episode the droids were toned down enough to offset Jar Jar.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 01:57:29 PM

It wasn't as bad as it could have been. I just don't like too much whacky antics in general, but for this episode the droids were toned down enough to offset Jar Jar.

Me an Sly cracked up when they killed Jar Jar... twice. After "Goldie" I don't like to underestimate the show.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 09:58:59 PM

Necroed, a TV show is at steak!

I don't know how many of you are watching the CGI Clone Wars (though if you've got the time to watch that vile new Stargate shit you should), but this week's episode was pretty good as far as showing Anakin's slide to the dark side. The CGI movie and the show in general have been doing a decent enough job, but this episode really illustrated why he would choose to do it and why he would keep going down it. I will say I look forward to Asohka's death at some point in the timeline before movie 3. Or alternately, becoming Darth Vader's apprentice.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 10:06:26 PM

Guaranteed that's not gonna happen and she'll be one of the ultimate survivors of Order 66.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 10:29:16 PM

I would normally say that her death would be the perfect, final catalyst that would set up Anakin to be willing to betray the Jedi and slaughter a room full of children to keep Padme safe, but with Lucas having the final say it probably won't happen. I mean if she were to die - especially if he could have saved her if only he'd been there - that would set up a whole recurring theme of women who are important to him dying because he couldn't protect them. Palpatine's manipulation was nowhere near enough to drive him over the edge, but if all the women he'd felt responsible for had been killed and he developed some sort of complex about it, it would make a lot more sense. Sort of like all the Naboo scenes that got cut from the second movie that helped explain the jump in his and Padme's relationship.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 06, 2009, 11:09:24 PM

Considering this is a cartoon Anakin and Asohka relationship can't help but give off the "young man in his twenties hanging out with 16 year old girl" vibe.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 12:01:14 PM

I have no problem with that.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 08:00:03 AM

My dvr randomly decided to stop recording this show which is a shame because it really seems to be getting pretty damned good for what it is.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 01:00:07 PM

Isn't this Ashoka, at around 1 min 15 secs in? I always figured they modeled Ashoka after the Random Jedi Chick from Ep 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH6DOnOTtiI

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 01:30:48 PM

Isn't this Ashoka, at around 1 min 15 secs in? I always figured they modeled Ashoka after the Random Jedi Chick from Ep 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH6DOnOTtiI

No,wrong color skin. Also looks like aTwi'lek and Ahsoka is not a Twi'lek she is a torgruta or something like that I think. If she is any of those I would guess the jedi on the speeder around 2 minutes in.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 01:51:01 PM

Ah ok, I thought Ashoka was a twi'lek. I doubt she'd be the one on the speeder cause it was over so quick. Ohcrap Ashoka's alive out there somewhere!

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 08, 2009, 02:42:30 PM

I've really enjoyed this series, moreso than I thought I would.  And put me in the camp that thought Ashoka was a twi'lek.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #32 on: December 08, 2009, 03:18:51 PM

She's a Togruta.. which looks like a twilek, but they all appear to be red skinned with dual horns AND head tails.  The Jedi Master Shaak Ti and one of the younglings were the two that you saw in the movies.  (Shaak was one of the few survivors of Genosis, you see her in the Arena battle somewhere.)

I agree that Asoka needs to die, but I also agree that it simply won't happen because Clone Wars is aimed at kids.  Perhaps if she were a major factor of the Adult-oriented show that was supposed to be released it would have happened.  As part of Clone Wars she'll live and be yet another incongruity with the abomination of the EU.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 03:20:23 PM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 08, 2009, 09:30:06 PM

Yeah, the blue-skinned twilek is Ayala Secura, who for whatever reason speaks with a thick french accent and dresses like a dance club whore in the tv show. The jedi on the speeder bike was Stass Allie, who despite looking like an alien because of her stupid hat was a human from a planet colonized by Corellians. Asohka is 14, which would make the whole 20-something hanging out with a teenager even more creepy if it weren't for the complete lack of any sort of sexual or romantic overtones, the fact that Anakin is boning the hell out of Padme and doing the worst job ever of hiding it, and they have an assigned, mandatory master/apprentice relationship. Anyway, as far as I can find her life/death is completely unaddressed one way or another.

I will say that the whole Jedi=Automatic General of a clone legion is horrible. When your general officer corps most cunning and often used stategy is charging across an open area into a hail of heavy gunfile so they can hit some robots with a sword... ugh. Nevermind.

Another thing, my 3 year old loves this show and actually sits still the whole time it's on. I'm thinking of playing the movies for him over this break. You guys think I should start with Phantom menace or show them in the order released? Unfortunately, my wife has forbid that we do the Lord of the Rings movies.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #34 on: December 09, 2009, 01:56:50 AM

Uh, you do realize that charging across an open area into a hail of heavy gunfire is a valid tactic when you can deflect that gunfire, right?

That said, start with Phantom Menace, that way the movies will seem to get better as they progress.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Star Wars : The Clone Wars  
Jump to: