Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:56:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Was Official Roster - now derailed - feel free to go on 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was Official Roster - now derailed - feel free to go on  (Read 16931 times)
schild
Administrator

on: March 27, 2004, 05:54:59 PM

Name: Decoy

Skillsets:
- Science Scrapper
- Claws or Katana
- Regeneration
- Hover at 6
- Teleport at 10.
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 08:27:25 AM

Bo-ring.  I think you shoud be required to write your entire origin story.
koboshi
Contributor

Camping is a legitimate strategy.

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 10:55:52 AM

OK, what's yours?

-We must teach them Max!
Hey, where do you keep that gun?
-None of your damn business, Sam.
-Shall we dance?
-Lets!
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 11:04:45 AM

If they ever get my beta CD here Ill be on as the Hottzor Dark Dryad.

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
Kyper
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 06:29:49 PM

I have a longer version somewhere.  But here's the short take:

Jake Kilroy, a veteran of the 1991 Persian Gulf War, is possessed by the ghost of a World War I soldier... a doughboy. This mystical presence grants him otherworldly fighting powers. It's also turned his previously brown hair to shocking white.

He appropriately goes by the crime fighting nickname of "The Doughboy".

The ghostly possession has also affected Jake's personality. He's suddenly taken a liking to expensive French wines (of a certain vintage) and can be heard humming George M. Cohen songs while patrolling the streets of Paragon City.

Magic Scrapper
Dark Melee
Flight (eventually)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 11:57:25 PM

I've been working on a few character concepts, not that I plan on really role playing, but just as a comic book fan I though it would be fun to have some idea as to who my characters are.  So far I'm looking at something like this for my main:

Disco Inferno

Mutant Blaster
Primary Set:  Fire Blast
Secondary:  Undecided (I heard the choice of Blaster secondaries has changed somewhat in the beta).

Disco Inferno retired in embarassment just when his crime fighting career was getting started.  The backlash against Disco music was so harsh, that even when he was saving lives people would openly mock him.  Feeling humiliated, Disco Inferno chose to fade into obscurity rather than create a less dated look for himself.  Even when the Ritki invaded Paragon City, he chose to let other heroes handle the problem, assuming they had the situation in hand.  When most of the cities heroes died fighting off the invasion, Disco Inferno became wracked with guilt, and decided to come out of retirement to help rebuild the city.
WayAbvPar

Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 09:48:40 AM

Can you skin your character with embarrassingly tight polyester bell bottoms?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 12:12:06 PM

I am still undecided.

I want to try out all ideas before I settle on any one for sure yet.  Most of them are really gag characters and maybe not that fun to play.

I hate reading FAQs, but the preorder box implies it will be a SCS game.  The box states that you can "Play multiple heroes on different servers"  I know in the beta it is MCS, but I have not confirmed what the full game will be yet.  Mainly because I am too lazy to check and I HATE beta forums.  Almost as much as I hate live forums.
Anonymous

Email
Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 05:20:22 PM

Quote from: WayAbvPar
Can you skin your character with embarrassingly tight polyester bell bottoms?

I do believe you can.   Disco Inferno should be able to look appropriately ridiculous.  

Quote from: Alluvian
I know in the beta it is MCS, but I have not confirmed what the full game will be yet.

I'd be surprised if it is not MCS.
Kyper
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 05:21:10 PM

That last post was mine.  Board forgot who I was.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: March 30, 2004, 05:37:54 PM

I suspect it will be MCS, solely because eventually they will add PVP and villians. And when they do, they probably want a system in place so players can start another toon when it arrives. Easier to do it now than later.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #11 on: March 30, 2004, 09:09:09 PM

Quote from: schild
I suspect it will be MCS, solely because eventually they will add PVP and villians. And when they do, they probably want a system in place so players can start another toon when it arrives. Easier to do it now than later.

PvP and villians are definitely going in or is it one of those "we hope to add it" kind of things?

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: March 30, 2004, 09:21:02 PM

buzz is that it's going to be the first pay-for expansion. I suspect the first big free patch in 1-3 months will be Hero HQ's and Capes/Flowing cloth
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 06:51:51 AM

The Jade Flashlight

All powerful except againt Orange Bunnies.

I am eagerly awaiting my beta invite.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #14 on: April 02, 2004, 02:44:07 AM

Btw, if anyone runs into Disco Inferno in the beta it isn't me.  Apparently someone beat me to the name.  On the plus side I had ideas for about a couple dozen other characters.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 02, 2004, 02:57:32 PM

Did they register Disco Inferno for the launch or can you steal it back from them for live?  It sounds like a fun character for a blaster.  Get your groove on in melee and some pyrothechnic ranged attacks.

Meh, I was about to say one of my ideas for post launch based on a power set that won't be in the launch but has been verified to be 'in progress' for post launch but that would break NDA.  The name would be a sarcastic EQ reference, but I doubt even 10% would get it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #16 on: April 03, 2004, 12:18:19 AM

I don't know if it's in their first character slot or not (which is what determines if the name is reserved for launch).  I just know the name is unavailable right now.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #17 on: April 07, 2004, 11:33:47 AM

Character Name: Whipcrack

Natural Scrapper Martial Artists with Storm Kick

Beware my feets of fury.

Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 07, 2004, 05:02:38 PM

Name: Recon
Natural scrapper with katana.

Seriously, Slice rocks. The world needs more caffeine free orange beverages.
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: April 07, 2004, 05:10:42 PM

Name: Function 13
Origin: Technology
Type: Scrapper
Powers: Claws & Reflexes
Power Pools: Jumping and Teleportation

Because Jesus was a scrapper.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #20 on: April 07, 2004, 07:01:12 PM

Seems like every one is a Scrapper. Overpowered or lots of Wolverine fetishits?
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: April 07, 2004, 07:12:29 PM

Only rogue-type class. They'll be the gankage when PVP is introduced.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 08, 2004, 05:15:20 AM

Name: Geisha
Currently: Magic Scrapper

I'll be remaking the character for sure now that I'm getting the hang of things, but the name will remain the same.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #23 on: April 08, 2004, 07:08:58 AM

Dark Dryad
Mutant Scrapper
Claws, Dark Armor, Teleporting

At Lvl 6 as of last night  gimme a yell and Ill teleport you guys in for some death dealin fun.

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 08, 2004, 07:11:25 AM

So many scappers.  I agree.  Where are the Defenders?  The Controllers?  The Blasters?  Those are the most fun to me.

I've got a Science Blaster (Fire/Fire)
AutumnFyre (yeah, stupid name, was a name I used as an elf lastname so it was in my head)

Was going for a normal human look with a robotic flamethrower arm.  Had to keep a hand on the end of the arm, but I like the look for the arm.  Has a hose going into it from my back and everything.  The rest of the outfit was meant to be logically practical.  Fireproof black flak jacket, skintight orange/black blended leggings, black wraparound sunglasses, bald (burned hair off a long time ago).

I know I should have gone Tech as the origin, but science could be easily explained as well.  Cyber augments, but does not create fire effect, blah blah.

Going for super speed when I can get it (level 14).  The fire trail left behind is fitting.  And DAMN it is fast.  I know hover/flight is probably more useful for a blaster, but I want the speed.  Plus the double refresh rate for powers ability on the way that I have at level 6 is a HUGE boon to my normally slow attacks.  Lets me mow down 4-5 even con thugs if I use some fancy footwork and positioning.

Pleased with the characer's looks.  Not nearly as flashy as most out there, but I like that.

To all you scrappers new to the game, try out a controller or defender.  They are not purely support/boring characters.  controllers take a decent amount of skill to use, but everyone can do damage.  Some just more than others.  Scrapper is a decent 'get to know the game' character though.
Aslan
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 08, 2004, 07:13:38 AM

I just got in with the last stream of invites last night.  I plan on playing some kind of blaster, once I figure out what the hell I am doing.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #26 on: April 08, 2004, 08:50:51 AM

I took scrapper because I wanted a Daredevil type of character, and tanker just doesn't fit that. I wanted a martial artists; hopefully I can get a bo staff later on.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #27 on: April 09, 2004, 01:07:10 AM

Ok, I got in.

Morphiend or Morfiend.

What server is every one on? I have been on ummm.. Pride? I think.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 09, 2004, 07:00:43 AM

Think you mean prime.  Most everyone is on prime.  The day the preorders flooded in was a day that only prime was up.  It was sort of a 'launch day test' for them and it was pretty painful, but still playable.

Now they have three listed, but prime seems to be the one consistently up.  Justice is another that goes up and down, I forget the name of the third.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #29 on: April 09, 2004, 09:41:18 AM

Do the trams take you back and forth between the two starting towns, and if so, how much does it cost?

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #30 on: April 09, 2004, 11:40:56 AM

Quote from: angry.bob
Do the trams take you back and forth between the two starting towns, and if so, how much does it cost?

Just hop on the monorail at the station and it give you a choice of where to go.  No cost that I know of (unless it lowered my prestige when i wasn;t looking)

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: April 09, 2004, 11:42:26 AM

Quote from: Xilren's Twin
Quote from: angry.bob

Just hop on the monorail at the station and it give you a choice of where to go.  No cost that I know of (unless it lowered my prestige when i wasn;t looking)

Xilren

There's no costs. A game without a player economy doesn't need money sinks.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 09, 2004, 11:50:07 AM

There are two tramlines, they link different zones together.  Not sure if there is a zone with both lines in it, all the lower level ones are on the same line though.  They are all free and take you to anywhere else on the line.  Even another copy of the section you are in.  There is also no wait.  Just a momentary wait to quickly animate the next tram arriving and people piling in.  They literally come about one every 5-10 seconds.

And as schild stated, no cost.  Painfully easy transportation.  From there you activate your sprint and dash off at a very respectable speed to wherever you want to go. If you are like me you jump over every fence and car on the way.
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: April 09, 2004, 11:56:28 AM

Quote from: Alluvian
There are two tramlines, they link different zones together.  Not sure if there is a zone with both lines in it, all the lower level ones are on the same line though.

A few weeks ago Skyway City and Steel Canyon had both tram lines in them, and from the looks of the maps they still do.

Something to note: No one in beta has fought in Founder's Falls or Eden yet. Or so it seems. That is level 40 endgame shit. I'm sure we wont get there in beta, but I suspect by the end of the first month of live some of us will.

(Fun) Catass to victory! But we can see they are already adding another 10 levels worth of content, 3 new villain groups and a few new areas right after launch. Sigh, Cryptic is doing everything right. </fanboi>
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 09, 2004, 12:16:01 PM

Lets hope launch goes well.

Launch SHOULD go well.  Hell, wednesday should have been a nightmare with all the remaining preorders getting in at the same time they went down to one server only.  It was PAINFUL, but better than most launchdays I have been in.  At least you could still play.  If cussing every other word, hehe.  

The unknown is how many non-preorders will be coming in on the 28th?  I suspect the preorder launch won't be TOO bad.  These people have already been playing at least 3 weeks.   They will probably charge in to catass to the top and maybe to reserve extra names, but I don't see that being a deathknell to the servers.

Opening on the 28th may be ugly if a ton of non-preorders decide to join.  I think this will be a sleeper that slowly sneaks into public knowledge though.

Billing servers are as usual the great unknown though.  I would hope NCsoft and the PlayNC is going to handle all of that.  They should be big enough to take an opening day rush.

I hope this game all the success in the world.  This game financially winning it big will send out very positive messages.  Fun sells, and the little guy can make a successful project.  Although Mythic also showed that.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Was Official Roster - now derailed - feel free to go on  
Jump to: