Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:02:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Where's the "This Game Sucks" thread? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where's the "This Game Sucks" thread?  (Read 114943 times)
Register
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 21, 2008, 08:08:08 PM

The game runs choppy on my Core2D 2GB RAM Geforce 8800 rig. Tried toning down settings, but it still stutters when you go into heavily populated zones - bad.

The UI drives me nuts, especially the chat box - I can't display both chat and combat messages at the same time, and you can hover your pointer over the chat tabs but frequently the tab just won't appear - bad. Also not easy to move the chat box - you need to know where precisely to click or it ain't moving. No swap back to default option on the chatbox in the event you screw up either.

Combat / animation lag - it's been reported so far, it's there and it's irritating - you cast a spell and you are not sure its been cast or not and you spam buttons, you chain melee moves and are told the move is not ready etc. It's fine and dandy when you are doing PVE grinding, but in PVP everything falls apart because everything is fast and furious and you need to know if your action fired off correctly.

Leveling speed is somewhat too slow it seems. Features like auctions and mailboxes are not easily found/accessible at lower levels. I get heaps of drops I can't use, and I can't find an AH to sell it; bag space is also limited, and have no idea how to increase the bag space or find a banker to put items either.

Scenarios currently allow players to join at level 1, and bumps them up a few token levels up in Core servers. It doesn't make any diff because a level 1-4 player simply does not have enough stats/skills make any significant difference vs someone entering the scenario at rank 7+. It's bloody irritating to lose because more than half of your side is woefully underleveled. Either close the level gap for scenarios or bump the lower chars more so that they can make a diff.

Overall, I'm disappointed in the game. Alot of the above are tolerable, but the bits about the game running choppy on a decent rig, and the animation/action lags and the crappy chat UI is leaving a really bad taste in the mouth. At this rate, I'm unlikely continue after the free month runs out.  Heartbreak

« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 08:30:11 PM by Register »
schild
Administrator

Reply #36 on: September 21, 2008, 09:03:15 PM

The UI drives me nuts, especially the chat box - I can't display both chat and combat messages at the same time, and you can hover your pointer over the chat tabs but frequently the tab just won't appear - bad. Also not easy to move the chat box - you need to know where precisely to click or it ain't moving. No swap back to default option on the chatbox in the event you screw up either.

You can set it to show whatever you want. Right Click Tab -> Tab Options -> Filter.

Leveling speed is somewhat too slow it seems. Features like auctions and mailboxes are not easily found/accessible at lower levels. I get heaps of drops I can't use, and I can't find an AH to sell it; bag space is also limited, and have no idea how to increase the bag space or find a banker to put items either.

This is due to a lack of knowledge about the game.

Scenarios currently allow players to join at level 1, and bumps them up a few token levels up in Core servers. It doesn't make any diff because a level 1-4 player simply does not have enough stats/skills make any significant difference vs someone entering the scenario at rank 7+. It's bloody irritating to lose because more than half of your side is woefully underleveled. Either close the level gap for scenarios or bump the lower chars more so that they can make a diff.

You're either not grouping with anyone, grouping with useless people, or just bad. Take your pick.

Overall, I'm disappointed in the game. Alot of the above are tolerable, but the bits about the game running choppy on a decent rig, and the animation/action lags and the crappy chat UI is leaving a really bad taste in the mouth. At this rate, I'm unlikely continue after the free month runs out.  Heartbreak

Combat lag is a slight problem, not bad on a  healer/almost none. You can get used to it on a melee class, my shadow warrior has almost none.

I do not know why your game is choppy. What speed is your C2D? Also, 2GB Ram? Running XP32 I assume?

Just saying. There's lots of shit to complain about, but it's nothing like AoC and you need to group with better people. A group of non's friends and Rattran and I were grouping up at level 1 and raping face because we're uhhhhh good?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #37 on: September 21, 2008, 09:04:17 PM

Honestly, I wrote this game off long before release because of the animations. Just seemed bad... Like indie bad.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 21, 2008, 10:25:16 PM

Honestly, I wrote this game off long before release because of the animations. Just seemed bad... Like indie bad.

They are very bad, me having worked with animations doesn't exactly help the case. I never really liked Warhammer Online ever since I joined the beta back in May 07, but I guess that's just me. Combat has always been sluggish, sure its somewhat better now, but the animation and combat system just killed it for me. Not enough diversity and its just boring to play and it feels premade. Though I want them to do good and seems lots of people like it, which is great, but as my friend said while asking him what he thought : "Dude, WAR makes WoW interesting again". Couldn't have said it better myself.

I think I'll stop applying for betas and start enjoying "finished" products instead, if there is such a thing in MMOs.

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
schild
Administrator

Reply #39 on: September 21, 2008, 10:37:44 PM

I think I'll stop applying for betas and start enjoying "finished" products instead

I get into _every_ beta very early, and this ^^

I don't play beta anymore. It's mostly just bad marketing.
Register
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: September 21, 2008, 11:10:38 PM

You can set it to show whatever you want. Right Click Tab -> Tab Options -> Filter.

I know I can customize what the tab shows. But I like to have two tabs - one to show conversations, one for combat messages. It don't seem to be doable in warhammer, and it doesn't have a quick reset to default if you screw the things up.

This is due to a lack of knowledge about the game.

One can certainly get about much better if one is familiar with the game and the zones, but my point is that the design in some aspects are not quite as user friendly as it could be.

Having said that, the tome of knowledge / zone maps are nice. It's just that that the rest of the design is not quite as good.

You're either not grouping with anyone, grouping with useless people, or just bad. Take your pick.

It does not change the fact that lower levels are much much underpowered vs someone 5 ranks higher - much more than the current bloster buff can add. If we compare apples vs apples, a premade group of rank 1s vs a premade group of rank 7+ will have their ass handed over to them in seconds, just as a group of skilled rank 7+ will eat a equally skilled group of rank 1s.

Combat lag is a slight problem, not bad on a  healer/almost none. You can get used to it on a melee class, my shadow warrior has almost none.

I find the lag an issue on my healer because I end up over spamming heals on people being beat upon - you tend to spam when you are not sure if the heal is being fired off, and the hp of your teammate is dropping from focus fire. End result - loss of much action points to over spamming.

I do not know why your game is choppy. What speed is your C2D? Also, 2GB Ram? Running XP32 I assume?

Just saying. There's lots of shit to complain about, but it's nothing like AoC and you need to group with better people. A group of non's friends and Rattran and I were grouping up at level 1 and raping face because we're uhhhhh good?

Not sure of the processor speeds, but yea its 2GB RAM on XP pro 32 bit.

The losing in pvp part does not irk me as much as its because your side have too many rank 1s joining in as solo - just like the level 61-64s joining the 61-70 AV bgs in WOW.

But game breaking issues with me is how the game stutters, how action/animation lags, and how I generally hate the War UI.

schild
Administrator

Reply #41 on: September 22, 2008, 12:05:34 AM

I know I can customize what the tab shows. But I like to have two tabs - one to show conversations, one for combat messages. It don't seem to be doable in warhammer, and it doesn't have a quick reset to default if you screw the things up.

That's how it is by default awesome, for real
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #42 on: September 22, 2008, 12:06:19 AM

The game is clunky. I will say that with no stretches. However, I expect the clunkiness to improve itself as the game matures, and I will forgive a bit of polish for more content. WoW took the polish>speed things waaaaaaay too far for me. I will play both, but they will serve completely different needs.

WoW needs to steal WAR's ideas immediately in regards to their mapping. A lot of MMOG players don't like finding quest mobs in an entire zone or reading directions. They like big flashy signs that point you at shit. The WAR map is probably the best improvement I've seen in the questing system of these types of games.

Also, the classes work. Tanks and healer combos are powerful in many situations. Ranged can nuke the crap out of stuff and have good stuns, but they don't root and destroy like other versions I've played in the past. Melee is viable in many situations. Healing is probably overpowered, but that's fine given what it takes to get ppl rolling healers.

Overall, it's not a polished game at all. If ppl were looking for a PvE, soloing experience, I have no idea why they even bothered leaving WoW to look. If they were looking for group PvP with friends and others, this is going to be much better than the system WoW tried to shoehorn in after release.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 12:08:19 AM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 22, 2008, 12:09:09 AM

They REALLY REALLY need the fix the low level scenarios. I have been playing for almost ten hours today. I have won O N E scenario in that time.

Every game the order side has a level advantage. And as has been stated. A level 3 boosted to 8 has no hope against a real level 8-11 player.

Mind you I'm just pubbing because I am a masochist and don't want to play order with Bat Country, but this is stupid.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: September 22, 2008, 12:17:26 AM

You should really play Order with Bat Country. Six organized people on vent can make all the difference in the world, particularly with healers.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 22, 2008, 01:08:22 AM

Its a team focused game that will weed out all the inveterate soloers pretty quickly.  That pug scenario teams will be steamrolled constantly vs premades will be one of the main things limiting the appeal of this game.
Register
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: September 22, 2008, 01:14:04 AM

I mean both tabs visible at the same time...

What I see in my War chat box is one tab for chat, one tab for combat messages - you have to choose between them. Alternatively you can display everything on a tab, but it will scroll insanely and you will have to constantly scroll back to read.

In Wow I just drag out the combat messages so I have 2 windows. Is there a way to do this in War?
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: September 22, 2008, 01:16:08 AM

I mean both tabs visible at the same time...

What I see in my War chat box is one tab for chat, one tab for combat messages - you have to choose between them. Alternatively you can display everything on a tab, but it will scroll insanely and you will have to constantly scroll back to read.

In Wow I just drag out the combat messages so I have 2 windows. Is there a way to do this in War?

Yeah you click on the tab and drag it to where you want the window.
Register
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 22, 2008, 01:23:50 AM

Its a team focused game that will weed out all the inveterate soloers pretty quickly.  That pug scenario teams will be steamrolled constantly vs premades will be one of the main things limiting the appeal of this game.

That's pretty much my experience in DAOC - if you don't have a balanced regular RVR team you pretty much give up as you will get steamrolled most of the time. Or you could be playing the stealther's mini game - but that's another story.

Either you have the full team with buffs, heals, CC and dps or you are going to be fodder. And War could be shaping up to be the same thing again. /shrug.
Register
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: September 22, 2008, 01:25:16 AM

Hrm... I could have sworn I did that and it did not work.  ACK!

Well, will try that when I am back home.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: September 22, 2008, 01:27:07 AM

"Solo'ers" should be latching onto the Zerg. That's what the Zerg is for!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
schild
Administrator

Reply #51 on: September 22, 2008, 01:31:29 AM

We've got some zerg guilds on our server. Or The Six Mouths, which isn't quite a zerg, more like a byproduct of being huge, they're good at 12v12 also.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: September 22, 2008, 02:19:47 AM

Hrm... I could have sworn I did that and it did not work.  ACK!

Well, will try that when I am back home.

Heres where I would post a SS of my UI except none of the Image Hosting sites are working this morning. It can be done, modifying the UI to the way I like it took maybe 10 minutes.

schild
Administrator

Reply #53 on: September 22, 2008, 02:29:28 AM

Dropbox, pal!
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #54 on: September 22, 2008, 06:18:20 AM

To address some pvp concerns of how 10 v 10 isn't really 'fair' to you guys.
Well what do you expect? You cannot possibly blame Mythic for that. The only problem I see on later tiers is that the power scale on each class differs, hence you'll see certain classes wtfpwning at certain levels while others take a longer time to mature. I hope the devs can rebalance it a bit. I try not to feel too down with 10 v 10s.

If you find a scenario sucking badly, try to scream, beg, plead and communicate. I was soloing Nordenwatch on my Swordmaster before Rattran manage to invite me to Bat Country and the whole time I just screamed at everyone to take Lighthouse, take the Fortress and hold it there. Ignore everything else, have one guy cap the lighthouse and the other 9 charge for Fort. if we lose the fort flag, pull back and regroup in between Lighthouse & Barracks. When some Chaos start attacking the Lighthouse, make a mad charge with 5-6 other people for the Fort flag which is hopefully undefended. Hold the flag for points. The more points you get, the more EXP you receive. You just gotta accept that sort of simple 'zerging' is the only way to win a 'random' Nordenwatch with pick up groups.

If you find the above is not what you envision to be, go back to Battlefield or Counterstrike or find a guild that grp for PvP.
It works both ways you know, you could be the pre-made while facing a bunch of lv 3-5s in scenarios and vice versa.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #55 on: September 22, 2008, 07:42:53 AM

I won't go that deep into it, but I am seriously shocked people here is liking Warhammer so much.

I am tempted to say it'll wear off soon, but I said the same thing for World of Warcraft 4 years ago, so boo me.

This is an ok game with lots of quick and juicy features, and charming colours. Its longevity has yet to be proved. I am surprised it shaked the jadedness off so many of you though.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: September 22, 2008, 07:49:10 AM

I love that I didn't have to "earn" the right to PVP by leveling up to some arbitrary level.  While my bolstered level one couldn't do much more than look around and die horribly, as I gained levels I started to be able to contribute more, and now that I've reached level 9 I'm actually doing serious amounts of damage and racking up good kill numbers.  It isn't perfect but it beats the hell out of pveing for a week or more just to earn the privilege of being PVP fodder.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: September 22, 2008, 07:58:58 AM

I like it a lot.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: September 22, 2008, 08:01:18 AM

Wrong Thread.
schild
Administrator

Reply #59 on: September 22, 2008, 08:03:17 AM

This thread is for bitches that can't enjoy fun while it lasts.

I'm not 17 years old anymore, I'll take the fun wherever I can get it these days. Just wish I could get some on the Wii. Thing is turning grey with dust.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: September 22, 2008, 08:08:30 AM

I won't go that deep into it, but I am seriously shocked people here is liking Warhammer so much.

I am tempted to say it'll wear off soon, but I said the same thing for World of Warcraft 4 years ago, so boo me.

This is an ok game with lots of quick and juicy features, and charming colours. Its longevity has yet to be proved. I am surprised it shaked the jadedness off so many of you though.

I happen to agree with you about longevity.  For now, the game is fun and accessible.  That's its strength.  It's easy to log on and do something fun.  I think that will be the draw.  

Will the "fun" still be fun in 6 months?  I don't know and think that I likely won't last that long.  It's not a deep game, but I must say that it is well worth the box cost even if you only play for the free month.  I think that most of us here have seen/done most of what there is to do in an online game and we won't last.  The truth is that it IS fun now.  That's a bargain for my $50.  

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: September 22, 2008, 08:38:05 AM

I happen to agree with you about longevity.  For now, the game is fun and accessible.  That's its strength.  It's easy to log on and do something fun.  I think that will be the draw. 

Will the "fun" still be fun in 6 months?  I don't know and think that I likely won't last that long.  It's not a deep game, but I must say that it is well worth the box cost even if you only play for the free month.  I think that most of us here have seen/done most of what there is to do in an online game and we won't last.  The truth is that it IS fun now.  That's a bargain for my $50. 
Here we are again, discussing depth of a game that hasn't been out the door four days. wink While I sort of agree and am concerned about the future renewal of players, I do wonder why this is said. It's not like games which have proven to have enormous stickiness appear any better at a glance - heroic dungeon/raid grind and BGs (and just a few of them) (I don't think the crafting is keeping anyone attached) don't exactly seem to have the longevity that would be required to keep people invested. But still it does, somehow.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: September 22, 2008, 08:55:24 AM

There is nothing really bad enough about this game to trash it, so I don't think you'll find a lot of negativity on the interwebs. For me there just wasn't enough about it that was better or different to make me switch from WoW. But I think for those who didn't care for it or weren't interested it's more of a "meh and move on" than any active hatred.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #63 on: September 22, 2008, 09:05:00 AM

I think it's great. I already know I'll be hitting max level, I haven't enjoyed an online game as much since COD2.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #64 on: September 22, 2008, 09:06:23 AM

There is nothing really bad enough about this game to trash it, so I don't think you'll find a lot of negativity on the interwebs. For me there just wasn't enough about it that was better or different to make me switch from WoW. But I think for those who didn't care for it or weren't interested it's more of a "meh and move on" than any active hatred.

Ultimately this is how I feel.  I've got an unopened CE on my desk.  I'm thinking of returning it or e-baying it instead of cracking it open. The game's loads of fun with other people, but only "meh" otherwise.  I can't see the PVP keeping anyone's interest more than the lastest FPS shooter or other coop game of the week.  It's not bad, but it's not fantastic.. so I'll stick with the one I'm already with.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #65 on: September 22, 2008, 09:06:28 AM

Yes Nebu, I agree with you.
To me 15 days of fun are well worth my 50 bucks so who cares?

It's just that there's lot of positivity here and that kinda surprises me. You can enjoy the game (the way I am doing, and you, and many others) without ignoring the mediocrity of a game.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: September 22, 2008, 09:25:18 AM

Here we are again, discussing depth of a game that hasn't been out the door four days. wink

Some of us have been playing this game for months prior to release.  wink

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: September 22, 2008, 09:25:36 AM

I don't really feel that it's mediocre.  I mean, I guess that's all relative to your expectations, but I definitely feel that it's the most solid post-WoW MMO, by far.  Course I don't think WoW is mediocre either, and lots do, so your mileage may vary.

(that said, I'm not saying it's robot jesus or anything.  I like it a lot, but I wouldn't say I'm quite at the holy-shit-overwhelmed stage yet.)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: September 22, 2008, 09:27:42 AM

You can enjoy the game (the way I am doing, and you, and many others) without ignoring the mediocrity of a game.

You stated WoW as an example of this.  WoW (in my opinion) is a prime example of polished mediocrity.  It's making money hats.  If a game is viscerally fun, it's easy to overlook other aspects.  In WAR's case, I can tolerate the imbalance and frequent ctd's due to the fun factor. 

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #69 on: September 22, 2008, 09:45:40 AM

I'm not sure this game will grab me or that I'll be able to give it the same attention I've given other games.  There are a lot of secondary factors including the fact that I just got a PS3 for my birthday, and I have less time to game due to work issues.  MMOs don't work well in my past experience for someone that plays very sporadically. Primarily though, I may not be the target audience or in a weird time situation that places me outside of it.

I've started a week late ( awesome, for real I know) and I only play around 10pm PST.  I've noticed a major lack of participation in lower level PQs and scenarios at this time frame.  At the dwarf/greenskin chapter 2/3 PQs there wasn't a single person doing them.  Perhaps things will get better when I can catch up a bit in levels, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to.  The ghost town aspect I've been seeing at low levels when I'm playing isn't going to help me catch up.

Only really major issues I've had with the game are some lag and slow downs during scenarios when folks get packed together.  This could get really nasty in RVR I imagine.  I really haven't fiddled with my video options at all. 

I do have concerns.  One major concern being the feeling that this game is currently balanced for shit, but I don't know how this is going to play out at higher levels. Right now, however, it appears to be the typical Mythic clownshoes attempt at balance that I got to hear my friends bitch about for years.  I know I need to give it more time, but some stuff I'm seeing is disheartening.

Anyhow, still getting the hang of this game.  I'll have more complaints once I can actually dig in (if I can).  A game's problems present themselves over time and I haven't put much time in since a about a month or two before release. 

-Rasix
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Where's the "This Game Sucks" thread?  
Jump to: