Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:45:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 755790 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #980 on: December 08, 2012, 05:12:48 PM

Any idea how Anet is doing? They seem to be doing ok, and I guess we won't know until Q4 financials are posted. But I feel like GW2 doesn't get credit for a number of things because it's assumed to not be doing all that well yet.

Trion was smart but yea, we just don't know. Not that it matters if we know anyway I guess.

As to mouthbreathers who pitch business plans on like-WoW-but, they get what they deserve. A large amount of shipped games are not greenlit that way, though the most vocal/high profile ones generally are. It feels to me more like a perception skew than a real one.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #981 on: December 09, 2012, 01:19:14 AM

Second best is still first loser. Which is a shame, but seems to be the way it works in MMOs.

I've never understood this shit.

It seems to be unique to MMOs. Because nobody argues that all single player games except shitty console fps are failures. Or that any film that attracts fewer people than titanic is something to be ashamed of. Or that only the most profitable company on the NYSE should stay in business.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #982 on: December 09, 2012, 05:39:50 AM

It seems to me that Rift is relatively successful. There's no shame in being number 2, especially when the number 1 game is an objectively terrible baby game.  awesome, for real

I consider SWTOR a failure because EA said they would feel happy about the investment if it came out to a million subs a year for 10 years and obviously it's not anywhere close to that.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #983 on: December 09, 2012, 06:01:05 AM

Second best is still first loser. Which is a shame, but seems to be the way it works in MMOs.

I've never understood this shit.

It seems to be unique to MMOs. Because nobody argues that all single player games except shitty console fps are failures. Or that any film that attracts fewer people than titanic is something to be ashamed of. Or that only the most profitable company on the NYSE should stay in business.

It's pretty much true of all social systems. You want to be on the system that all your friends are involved with and talking about. You want to be on the biggest one that has the money to do lots of exciting things and where there's a positive buzz.

See Facebook vs Google+ for an example.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #984 on: December 09, 2012, 07:08:38 AM

So why do you post on f13?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #985 on: December 09, 2012, 07:56:58 AM

What are f13 posters a representative sample of?

- Simond
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #986 on: December 09, 2012, 07:58:30 AM

Hipster Neckbeards?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #987 on: December 09, 2012, 08:57:50 AM

-Rasix
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #988 on: December 09, 2012, 04:01:23 PM

It's pretty much true of all social systems. You want to be on the system that all your friends are involved with and talking about. You want to be on the biggest one that has the money to do lots of exciting things and where there's a positive buzz.

To me it's really just about being on the biggest one that appeals to you the most. Facebook vs Google + is a good example of convergence. But LinkedIn is a good indicator that there's more to social sharing than just Facebook. Just like the Galaxy S3 is showing the world that it's not just iPhone or crap.

Games always have top-X lists. But every genre also has multiple favorites. Rift will never be WoW, but neither are Trion's operating costs the same. CCP, Turbine and SOE are also doing fine. Same can be said on social networking games or smartphone apps.

Are business leaders pitching a new MMO because of Rift? Depends. Do they have experience in the genre? If so, Rift is likely mentioned. If not, then it's all based on "if we can just get 10% of WoW's audience - something - moneyhats", to their eventual disillusionment.

A cross section of veterans who have a lot of history watching industries evolve and converge together.

I don't think we necessarily represent shit of course. We're not a market anyone should target because aside from being relatively few, we can't even agree on what's "best"  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

But I'd rather have a diverse set of veterans with wildly different opinions they'll go all deep on expounding than the one dimensional barking on Twitter, the insular closed communities on Facebook, the temporary official game forums, and the ad support cesspool genre/ratings aggregation sites.

In short, I respect the opinions of people I've known here, in prior places, and a few others, way more than the luminary du jour they throw out on whatever ratings rag or site is popular at the moment.

Not that I tend to agree with everyone of course  Ohhhhh, I see.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #989 on: December 09, 2012, 11:45:12 PM

Certainly not the biggest social network, which is what I think Eldaec was getting at.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #990 on: December 10, 2012, 12:02:07 AM

But that was recent Blizzard, not current Blizzard (and not even all the same Blizzard wink). WoW is only going to continue to decline, who the heck knows if Titan will ever ship, and even if it does, given how D3 and SC2 went, will Titan truly be something brand new, or just an up'res'd WoW (don't care what they're saying, just care what they'll do).

WoW's decline isn't inevitable.  Blizzard is just working really hard at it, and has been since Cataclysm launched.

Daily quests as a form of progression always were a stupid idea, and now they're a huge chunk of the endgame.  A lot of classes have some rather questionable design decisions centered around random procs.  Fel Sacrifice is back.  Crowd control versus DoTs and AoEs was going to get fixed back in 3.0, and then it didn't, and still hasn't.  Elemental shamans got a really nifty glyph for Lightning Bolt that allowed it to be cast while moving and I imagine was meant to be a trial balloon, it appears to be gone now, what remains are mostly crippled variants of the same.  Stags all the way down made it into a live build.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:17:31 AM by Sheepherder »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #991 on: December 10, 2012, 11:40:15 AM

Does this even make sense at all? I want to be on the social network that has money to do exciting things? What exciting things has any social networking site done?

Facebook is a way to maintain superficial contact with a large net of people, so yes, you want to be on the Facebook equivalent that is the most popular. Google+ is just a bad Facebook and the one new interesting feature (circles) is fundamentally broken in design.

There is nothing to Facebook but the people on it. In a video game there is the actual game. While it's fun to play the game that your friends are playing it's also fun to play the better game, and the tastes of you and your friends may be different from that of the public at large.

The world only needs one WoW, sure, just like it really only needs one COD. But there's still room for a Tera or Halo. Just not for a space WoW with laser swords.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #992 on: December 10, 2012, 11:45:25 AM

That said, I know countless people who play WoW just because of the people on it, and that have explicitly said multiple times that they felt "alone" in all the other games they tried, regardless of how good they were. And not just because their circle of friends didn't care, but because it felt like SOCIETY didn't care!

I think we all agree that this is ridiculous, and still not one bit less true and widespread I'm afraid.

A lot has to do with pop culture and the need for some to be somewhat part of it, on top of it, as opposed to behind it in a niche no one else cares about but you.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #993 on: December 10, 2012, 11:58:27 AM

I think we all agree that this is ridiculous, and still not one bit less true and widespread I'm afraid.

Yeah, I mean goodness, why would anyone want to participate in the same shared experience that everyone else they know is.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #994 on: December 10, 2012, 12:35:53 PM

You chose to ignore the "And not just because their circle of friends didn't care, but because it felt like SOCIETY didn't care!" part when you wrote that comment, or you simply feel the same way?

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #995 on: December 11, 2012, 01:17:58 AM

Populations on servers would imply there is at least as much room for space wow with laser swords as there is for tera. I don't especially like that this is true, but it is.

EA threw x hundred million away developing a game that should have cost tens (voice is expensive, but not that expensive), and the f2p transition was as poorly handled as anything since the nge. But the game remains viable no matter how derivative the mechanics are.

And it is the first MMOG I can think of that genuinely leverages the IP, rather than just paying lip service. So notable for that.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #996 on: December 11, 2012, 03:41:33 PM

Does this even make sense at all? I want to be on the social network that has money to do exciting things? What exciting things has any social networking site done?

WoW has a much larger budget to play with than Rift or GW2.

- Simond
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #997 on: December 11, 2012, 04:05:45 PM

WoW has a much larger budget to play with than Rift or GW2.

But it does nothing exciting with that money.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #998 on: December 11, 2012, 04:31:01 PM

You chose to ignore the "And not just because their circle of friends didn't care, but because it felt like SOCIETY didn't care!" part when you wrote that comment, or you simply feel the same way?

If they mean by the "SOCIETY didn't care!" thing that all the zones are empty and they find it hard to find groups, then I do feel the same way. And in any case, there's something to be said for shared experiences.

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #999 on: December 11, 2012, 05:23:26 PM

Have Trion had mass lay-offs?  If no, they're in a much better spot.

Guess you spoke too soon.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/11/trion-worlds-goes-through-workforce-reduction/
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #1000 on: December 11, 2012, 06:01:00 PM

Well, shit. Merry Christmas, ex-Trion employees :(

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1001 on: December 11, 2012, 06:34:47 PM

Any idea how Anet is doing? They seem to be doing ok, and I guess we won't know until Q4 financials are posted. But I feel like GW2 doesn't get credit for a number of things because it's assumed to not be doing all that well yet.

GW2 did get voted as best game of 2012 by TIME magazine.
But FWIW, it's a great PVE game for first timers, but the shine wore off past 2nd month once you got a level 80.
Here's hoping they can pull off something nice for Xmas after the Lost Shore nonsensical event.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1002 on: December 11, 2012, 10:17:31 PM

Have Trion had mass lay-offs?  If no, they're in a much better spot.

Guess you spoke too soon.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/11/trion-worlds-goes-through-workforce-reduction/

Gama Sutra says it was about 40 people which may be up to a third of RIFT's development team.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1003 on: December 12, 2012, 11:20:50 AM

Ugh.  Damn.  Sorry Trion guys.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1004 on: December 18, 2012, 06:53:02 AM

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1005 on: December 18, 2012, 09:32:29 AM

Fucking people posting about ESO in an ESO thread.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1006 on: January 22, 2013, 07:13:48 AM

Beta signup

They also mention a new trailer, but I cant find it yet.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 07:29:48 AM by Falconeer »

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1007 on: January 22, 2013, 07:47:46 AM

It's on Massively.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/22/elder-scrolls-online-beta-signups-now-live-six-minute-cinematic/

Oh, and according to their sign-up process, my chances of gettin' into closed beta are "Excellent".

I can barely contain my excitement.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1008 on: January 22, 2013, 08:20:37 AM

The entire excellent thing is silly. Who wouldn't keep punching buttons until they got it to excellent.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1009 on: January 22, 2013, 08:31:09 AM

What's the point of asking you to type in up to 7 or so games you've tested before?  What's the point of asking which MMOs you've played before?

I bet there is a secret combination.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1010 on: January 22, 2013, 08:34:02 AM

Less CG, more in game. Please.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1011 on: January 22, 2013, 08:36:04 AM

I bet there is a secret combination.
The secret combination is "More than two titles played? Guaranteed to be at the jaded asshole stage, dump them like a hot potato".
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1012 on: January 22, 2013, 09:16:20 AM

We putting F13 down as a guild?

I am the .00000001428%
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1013 on: January 22, 2013, 09:22:02 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1014 on: January 22, 2013, 11:10:31 AM

awesome, for real
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  
Jump to: