Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:13:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Prison Break 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prison Break  (Read 14784 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 01:07:06 AM

Same actors does not require a continuation. It can be a reboot. Crossover with OITNB for the win.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 02:30:56 AM

Its the "John Snow" problem. Risk adverse studio Execs don't want to risk a show without their sexy stars, so they to keep the stars they know work, and would have aneurysms about a show with a totally untried cast every season. Also it makes it easier to sell merch if you have the same faces.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #37 on: August 10, 2015, 04:42:48 AM

While I agree with your point, how is that tied to Jon Snow or Game of Thrones?  GoT/HBO has shown many times over that it doesn't matter how popular a character is, they're perfectly willing to kill them, and usually in the most brutal fashion possible.  The fact that Jon Snow is returning in some form doesn't have anything to do with risk aversion or HBO execs getting squeamish.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: August 10, 2015, 07:58:05 AM

... and then there is True Detective, American Horror Story, Fargo, The traditional tv model is evolving. They've had successful shows with casts that changed every episode in the past, too (Twilight Zone). The big networks are usually slowest to change, but they sometimes take big leaps... every few years or so.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #39 on: August 10, 2015, 10:47:10 AM

While I agree with your point, how is that tied to Jon Snow or Game of Thrones?  GoT/HBO has shown many times over that it doesn't matter how popular a character is, they're perfectly willing to kill them, and usually in the most brutal fashion possible.  The fact that Jon Snow is returning in some form doesn't have anything to do with risk aversion or HBO execs getting squeamish.

Yeah that was written into the books and storyline from the start. Diehard book-readers knew Jon wasn't dead, we were just surprised he got stabbed and there's going to be some sort of twisted convolution to get him alive again.  Which, in retrospect makes perfect sense. Jon needs to not be an oathbreaker and his vow was to stand on the wall until he died - which he did.

None of his resurrection has anything to do with being a popular character and everything to do with who he is meant to be in the over-arching plot, which gets super spoilery.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #40 on: August 10, 2015, 10:59:17 AM

And Melisandre seems to have a thing for him, blood magic users seem to have that power.

"Me am play gods"
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 10, 2015, 03:48:02 PM

Well really it was due to a conversation I had with a friend of mine and my sisters who were surprised that they had let Jon Snow die as he was a popular character, and that they might find a way to bring the character back. My sisters had read the books too.

Hic sunt dracones.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: August 11, 2015, 07:28:12 AM

They don't have to "find a way" to bring him back. The exact way to bring him back was already established with Beric Dondarrion.

You have a fresh corpse and a Red Priest. You also have a Woman with a prophecy and a possible target for said prophecy.

You really can't have much more foreshadowing since we first met Thoros of Myr without it being too much on the nose.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 11, 2015, 09:23:40 AM

They don't have to "find a way" to bring him back. The exact way to bring him back was already established with Beric Dondarrion.

You have a fresh corpse and a Red Priest with exceptional tits. You also have a Woman with a prophecy and a possible target for said prophecy.

You really can't have much more foreshadowing since we first met Thoros of Myr without it being too much on the nose.

Just thought I should clarify some points.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 10, 2017, 02:35:59 PM

Anyone watching the revival? Any good?

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #45 on: April 10, 2017, 09:40:46 PM

Anyone watching the revival? Any good?

Wikipedia says: On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the season has an approval rating of 52% based on 21 reviews, with an average score of 6.6/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Prison Break recaptures some of its old urgency in its return, but familiar faces and frenetic action aren't enough to make up for a plot that manages to bore while beggaring belief." On Metacritic, the season has a score of 48 out of 100, based on 18 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".

Not inspired to give it a look. The previous final two seasons were terrible and I only just made it through ("bore while beggaring belief" would describe those too, and a slide in the acting quality). With Netflix and its competitors to choose from these days, and everything else that's on demand, there's no way I would watch those seasons now.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Prison Break  
Jump to: