Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:02:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: I am stuck in EU. Let my Bazooko out 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I am stuck in EU. Let my Bazooko out  (Read 12163 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: September 01, 2008, 04:15:32 AM

I live in EU and Warhammer will come out very europeized, with translated clients even in Italian (something that happened so far just with DAoC, which was managed by GOA too) so definitely not good for NA servers.

As I'd really wish to take part in the upcoming Circus, I'd need a pious cynic here willing to accept my Paypal money wire and get a NA box (with included ununused CD-key, you know) for me. I will pay now, and you will PM me the key later.

I'll pay for the full amount of the box, but you can keep it in case you need something to light a bonfire of sorts, so no shipping hassles or costs involved. I just need the cd-key and no need to specify I'd like to have it on day zero, or -1 that is.

Anyone willing to help me on this?

schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 04:46:59 AM

We MIGHT want to wait a little closer to release on this, EA might do a direct download solution, so things would be beyond easy on your end, just have to get someone to set up an online account for you and make the INITIAL purchase. If that's the case, I'll figure something out with you.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 11:43:05 AM

Because of Mythic's unfortunate attitude to non-US players they signed a contract before EA bought them, and it is unlikely that the EA store will be able to knowlingly let you download WAR in europe. But there are plenty of import websites you can order from.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 01:33:42 PM

Import websites require shipping time. Worst case, like he said, someone here who has access to a guaranteed copy on day 1 can just get him a key. He already has the beta client.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 04:01:27 PM

Direct2drive is selling Warhammer.  If that helps any.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 04:10:25 PM

Direct2drive is selling Warhammer.  If that helps any.
Nope. Only to NA and Canada.

I'm attempting workarounds but even by proxy they block the CC.

I don't care enough for the game to import the box, wait a week and pay taxes+shipment. So if I find a workaround good, if not they can do without me.

I also worry that they'll block the CC to pay the subscription as well.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 04:13:15 PM

I don't care enough for the game to import the box

lol

liar

this is the most important game of the century for you

Seriously.
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 04:16:22 PM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 04:30:12 PM

So if I find a workaround good, if not they can do without me.

"They" being your NA friends/guild?
Because if "they" is referred to EA/Mythic, isn't a good workaround to just pickup an EU copy?

schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 04:43:27 PM

Falconeer, we'll keep this short and simple - HRose and Mythic have a history. Hell, even without Mythic, HRose has a history. There's a reason when you came here and we found out you were Italian - mind you, the only other open one - we assumes you were just bugfuck crazy.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 05:07:36 PM

So none of that made any sense to me.

Either way, I do have a friend in Europe that would like to play. If I buy two accounts and two boxes, I assume they can play on one of them, right?

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 06:47:06 PM

He should be able to, he'd just have to dl and install the open beta, and then use one of the accounts you set up.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 06:51:22 PM

lol

liar

this is the most important game of the century for you
No, Shild, I'm not giving you my credit card number ;)

Despite the game made a surprising nice impression on me for the little time I was in the beta, playing it is pretty low in my priority list.

If I can without too much hassle, I will. If not, I'll pass.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 11:35:27 PM

We've had this exact same problem in our crew. We've got two Brits, a Russian and an Irish Samoan (yes you read that right) and all of em are having to import hard copies. I'll ask em where they usually get their copies imported from and let ya know what they say about time and price. Nevermind, saw you were trying to avoid shipping costs.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 12:38:27 AM

You don't like GOA, do you?

HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 04:38:06 AM

Never played there. I hated the italian direction at that time before it passed to GOA and that's why a mere week after launch I moved to the US servers.

The are various reasons why I would still play in the US. First because the activity is better distributed, while in EU, with the localization, there are much higher and shorter population peaks and I don't want to worry about that. Second, if I play I'd probably try to join that "bloggers" guild they were making. Third, third-party management ultimately feels like you are second-hand citizen, even if the service is good. Fourth, localization usually sucks BAD (if I end playing on an italian server). There are a lot more that now I can't fix.

No particular hate toward GOA, I have only my US account even in WoW's case.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 11:04:41 AM

Update: I just noticed that plenty of gold sellers sites also sell CD-keys.

I never, ever thought I would consider giving money to them.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 11:33:52 AM

My international guild [US/Canada based, but with people from Denmark, Hungary, UK, Norway, Malaysia, etc] basically has one person buy a ton of extra boxes, mail out the codes to our euro members [myself included], and we just paypal them the $, and download the client from somewhere. We did this with WOW too, and they even had to pay the first month with their CC [back then you could only pay for US WOW subs with US credit cards, but you could switch to a foreign CC after the initial payment for some reason].

I'm about 98% sure the open beta client will be patchable to live, how else are people supposed to play during early access? :p

-- Z.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 11:35:24 AM by Zetor »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 12:09:53 PM

My international guild [US/Canada based, but with people from Denmark, Hungary, UK, Norway, Malaysia, etc] basically has one person buy a ton of extra boxes, mail out the codes to our euro members [myself included], and we just paypal them the $, and download the client from somewhere.

That's exactly what I was asking in the OP. I already received a very very sweet and unexpected PM about it, and I am confident someone will eventually do this for me when release will be closer. I'll repay with (money, and) the usual hospitality "when in Rome...". I know you are not going to use it, but I really mean it. Everyone here has the f13 (Rome Chapter) All Access Pass.

Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 07:58:00 AM

I'm apparently denser than usual today... Why can't a guy with an Italian client play with a guy with a German client? Or are there special Italian servers separate from the German servers, etc?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 08:57:37 AM

Not sure if Italians will be able to play with Germans, but I guess so. Translation should not affect the client dramatically.

Italians can't play with Americans though according to EA/Mythic, and that's why I made this thread.
I guess server restrictions are artificially superimposed, clients can't be that different after all.

Finally no Italian servers are announced that I know of, and that is very unfortunate... for non-italian speakers. People here will invade a random server making it inferno for whoever doesn't speak Dante's language. I suggest Europeans to check for the Italian blob's destination and then pick any other server. That's what I usually do.

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 01:26:13 AM

He should be able to, he'd just have to dl and install the open beta, and then use one of the accounts you set up.

Where should the client be downloaded?

This official torrent is godawful. Might get downloaded by the time the beta is over. Maybe.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 02:22:45 AM

Fileplanet... it's like the Open Beta dl or something.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 07:59:52 AM

Apparently to download the client from Fileplanet we need an open beta key. Which we can't have.. cause it's NA only. So EU can't even get to the download page.   swamp poop

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 07, 2008, 04:34:12 AM

Finally no Italian servers are announced that I know of, and that is very unfortunate... for non-italian speakers. People here will invade a random server making it inferno for whoever doesn't speak Dante's language. I suggest Europeans to check for the Italian blob's destination and then pick any other server. That's what I usually do.

For daoc there was a seperate company running Italy as the rest of Europe, they started later but were able to localise patches much quicker, and generally had a better rep than GOA - though that may simply be a case of grass always looking greener. So an italian server may pop up in a few months if they follow the same pattern.

To be honest, the 'Italian blob' worry isn't something people will worry about. Just like daoc and like global games, non-english speakers will coalesce into spanish/italian/russian/whatever alliances on english servers, and there are usually enough multi-lingual diplomats to keep the realm community functioning.

It is interesting to observe just how few people usually benefit from mmog localisation. If you aren't french or german, it is a lot of fuss over not much. Most mmogs cope ok without it, and yet are perfectly playable in EU peak time (see EvE, or anything published by SOE)

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 07, 2008, 06:08:32 AM

From what I'm reading in the SA WARHAM ONLINE thread - after today's utter fuckups, nobody likes GOA.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Xeyi
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 07, 2008, 08:16:28 AM

From what I'm reading in the SA WARHAM ONLINE thread - after today's utter fuckups, nobody likes GOA.
It's definitely been a huge cock-up so far today.  Who'd have thought that putting in a major new account system (that everyone with a beta key had to use) just a few hours before the beta started was going to turn out so badly?  awesome, for real

Also, hohoho.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 07, 2008, 08:57:08 AM

Fileplanet... it's like the Open Beta dl or something.

Well, I'm not sure how the fuck anyone managed to download this client off of Fileplanet. I should have started the download a week ago, clearly.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 07, 2008, 09:37:45 AM

Fileplanet says I am 2343 in queue (I was 800 last night  awesome, for real ). Queue ETA: 823 minutes.

Xeyi
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 07, 2008, 09:43:41 AM

There is also a torrent for the client, available here.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 07, 2008, 09:45:49 AM

That is the torrent for the EU client. This thread is about the Bazooko (US) client. I know, it's my fault. I confuse.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 07, 2008, 09:46:38 AM

Gee, GOA fucking up, how unusual. Who could ever have predicted that?

Ohhhhh, I see.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #32 on: September 07, 2008, 09:59:42 AM

For daoc there was a seperate company running Italy as the rest of Europe, they started later but were able to localise patches much quicker, and generally had a better rep than GOA - though that may simply be a case of grass always looking greener. So an italian server may pop up in a few months if they follow the same pattern.

There are Itialian servers. We've had an italian beta server since the beginning of closed beta so all localisation has been going on for some time.

The 'separate company that ran DAoC in Italy was CTO. They went bankrupt and we took over the server. At the time we were rolling out the Catacombs expansion to the other EU servers and the Italian server hadn't been updated since Shrouded Isles.

Today has been a rough day for us, we knew we were going to get hammered and we did. We knew that everything that went wrong was going to cause a disproportionate backlash just because of our name. We've had literally millions of people battering our site and we've been continually working to make it happen. Despite all the problems, the system has held up and people have created accounts and logged into the game. We're still working to ease the way for the rest. The main thing is that we will not have these sort of issues for Headstart or live due to the trial by fire the sytem recieved today.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 10:08:45 AM

We knew that everything that went wrong was going to cause a disproportionate backlash just because of our name.

To be fair, it is more than just because of the name, it is also because we're talking about problems with that website which people have been pointing out is awful for years (100% flash? really? in 2008?), and because of problems related to connectivity, which people have moaning about for years (whether it is the fault of opentransit, server location, goa or whatever).

These aren't new things that european players are complaining about.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 10:22:07 AM

Account registration and Open Beta key authentication is currently unavailable. We took down the servers in order to be able to process the queues more efficiently and will bring them back online as soon we're finished with this work.

We are currently letting people in wave after wave. At the time of this post we have 5154 players on the European servers. As you surely understand and as has been explained by Mark Jacobs and other developer earlier, it is important not to swamp the starting zones completely.

-Magnus
Minor detail: Five of their beta servers are empty. Iain, can't you persuade Magnus to tell slightly more plausible lies? Or even just tell the truth: "We are not ready for the beta and probably won't be ready for the early starters or the actual launch either. Come back in a year or so when you're bored of WotLK"

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: I am stuck in EU. Let my Bazooko out  
Jump to: