Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:15:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Little-known tips/facts for Guild Wars 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Little-known tips/facts for Guild Wars  (Read 13332 times)
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

on: November 03, 2004, 10:18:59 PM

Tips and little-known things I've picked up by spending way too much time  scanning sites and boards:

To take a screenshot without the UI: press SHIFT+[mapped screencap key]. Default is SHIFT+printscreen

To call out your target to your group, CTRL+Click the target -- this sends out a message stating the name of the target and causes the bell to sound. [Other players can then press 't' to select the same target, but I don't think this was working during the WPE].

SHIFT+click a target will select it without launching an autoattack or sending an NPC henchman to attack the target.

Most skills that say "target ally' will target you if you do not have an ally selected.

You can mix dye colors to make new colors by double-clicking a dye then placing it on another dye.

You can invert the mouse look and disable mouse-click movement -- use the two checkboxes below the list of keyboard mappings (Controls box).

Use expert salavge kits on items to get upgrades for weapons and armor -- the item you are salvaging must already have some kind of special power for this to even have a chance to produce an upgrade component.

If you want to trade with someone and you don't know where they are, use the Target Next key to cycle through people and then double click the Trade button at the top of the window when you have them selected -- in most cases you will start running directly to that person and the trade wilndow will open when you get there. [you can also squint really hard to see which dot has a circle around it in the radar screen and try running to it...]

You can whisper to someone by clicking on their name in the chat window -- where their name appears next to something they've said. Their name will be placed in the chat field automatically.

Double-tap the foward key to autorun.

You can drag around the zoomed-in world map by right-click+dragging

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Azhrarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 01:56:04 AM

Hold down control to bring up all player and important NPC names in an area, great for finding teammates in a crowded/large town area.  As you can click their name to do stuff with them.  Alt does similiar with items, and seems to show certain other NPCs (like the vendors?).

Double pressing back does a 180 with your char.

The press T to target definitely did work when I was playing.  You have to be within a certain range of the target though, but not necessarily in line of sight.

Pinging the minimap by clicking on it is decent and makes a sound on the other people's clients.  Drawing is more usefull.  Draw straight lines from the center to the outside rim all around in a circle (like a pizza) to get someone far away to find your location (since they can't pan the map).

Any mission where you are holding something like a seed, or altar crystal, you will draw a TON of aggro.  Besides not having your hand items equipped.  Drop it if you get in a fight.

Running away from mobs is effective right now, they seemed to drop aggro fairly fast.

Always stand in water, at least from what I saw here, it adds +1 to your HP regen.  Don't run through most "mud", it will poison or slow you for a bit.

You can't sell customized items (most people probably saw this pretty quick).

A lot of missions seem to have a secondary goal, which is the "shield" on the right I believe.  I didn't run back through all the missions, the only one I outright noticed (but don't know how/why in may have constituted a goal) is if you run to the gate on the left at the end of the tutorial mission before you run to the one on the right, you get both shields.

In the tomb mission, if you have a good party, you can kill the huge guardians in the distance after the second/third wave if you are fast, and they almost always seem to drop a decent item.  Usually mission ends soon after, so be quick if it's yours.

I came here to be drugged, electrocuted, and probed.  Not insulted! - H.S.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 08:46:00 AM

In the tutorial mission, you get the shield on the right by taking the pig, Oink, to the farmer.

In the Bloodstone Fen mission, the bonus mission is to awaken the Druids (it leads into the next mission). I was never able to do this one as you have to not attack some tree guardians (though they attack you) and my pet or henchmen always attacked back.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 10:44:11 AM

Man I really would have liked to known that double tap foward and double tap backwards stuff...thanks for this thread, will make this weekend a bit better for me.
AlteredOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 10:46:09 AM

Autofollow seems to be accomplished by shift-clicking on another player.  I discovered this about 1 hour before the end of last weekend's trial LOL.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 04:08:18 PM

Autofollow!? Damn wish I knew about that, I'll have to try it this weekend.

Another tip: If you Ctrl-Click a spell or skill you will say a message like "I am casting Resurrection on Bob the Slob". That way you can show your teammates you are casting resurrection and someone won't start casting it on the same guy.

I haven't tried this with Ctrl-<number>, I'll do that this weekend.

Edit: stupid fingers

- Viin
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 04:30:42 PM

Quote from: Sobelius
You can invert the mouse look and disable mouse-click movement -- use the two checkboxes below the list of keyboard mappings (Controls box).

Disabling mouse-click movement (which is incredibly annoying) prevents you from looting, or at least it did early on in the WPE (I never tried it again after that).
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 04:33:05 PM

Quote from: AlteredOne
Autofollow seems to be accomplished by shift-clicking on another player.  I discovered this about 1 hour before the end of last weekend's trial LOL.

You can also auto follow by selecting a party member and pressing the space bar (way to overloaded the function of the space bar ArenaNet). However, auto follow turns off once the party member you are following stops moving drastically reducing its usefulness.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 04:38:24 PM

Quote from: Trippy

Disabling mouse-click movement (which is incredibly annoying) prevents you from looting, or at least it did early on in the WPE (I never tried it again after that).

Actually I think the wording is more: "use mouse-click for selection only" -- to prevent you from moving when you click, but allowing you to select creatures/people/things. It prevents auto-looting in the sense that you don't auto-run to the item and take it -- you can still select it and then hit space bar (or whatever key you mapped to the "do it" function).

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 04:42:32 PM

Quote from: Trippy
Quote from: AlteredOne

You can also auto follow by selecting a party member and pressing the space bar (way to overloaded the function of the space bar ArenaNet). However, auto follow turns off once the party member you are following stops moving drastically reducing its usefulness.

I think the idea here is to prevent someone from sticking to you in PvP -- fortunately, touch skills and melee attacks will run you to the target, but it still gives casting classes a chance to run away and not have someone autofollow them step for step.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 05:21:22 PM

Actually I think the wording is more: "use mouse-click for selection only" -- to prevent you from moving when you click, but allowing you to select creatures/people/things. It prevents auto-looting in the sense that you don't auto-run to the item and take it -- you can still select it and then hit space bar (or whatever key you mapped to the "do it" function).

It didn't work even if you were standing right on top of the object. Next time I'll try hitting space.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 08:01:48 PM

Turning off mouse movement is absolutely essential.  Nothing worse than trying to target with the mouse and accidentaly moving.  Spacebar works for everything that clicking normally would I believe.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 05, 2004, 11:10:15 AM

Heres a question:  Do GW chars advance in any manner aside from skill selection and gear?  Do they get more HP, mana, better basic resistances, or anything?  

In other words, if a level 10 fights an identically-equipped level 20, does the 20 have an immediate advantage, aside from a bigger skill library?

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 05, 2004, 11:27:50 AM

From reading the review he will be better at using those skills...remember you can only have 8 skills/spells? at a time.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 05, 2004, 11:41:52 AM

Better how?  

I know about the 8-skill limit; thats what I meant when I said "library." (all the skills you have even the ones you can't use at the moment).

I guess the better way to ask is this:

What do you get when you gain a level?

-Numtini
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #15 on: November 05, 2004, 11:51:10 AM

More skill choices.  More ability points.  Gear.

Skill choices gives you a greater variety of skills. You become a better Swiss Army Knife.

Ability points allow you to increase the effectiveness of certain skill types.  Like strength for a warrior or energy storage for an elementalist.  Having a higher ability rating means all skills for that ability will work better, cause more damage, etc.  Also some have other side effects I believe like strength increases a warrior's HP and energy storage increases the amount of energy for an elementalist.

All crafted gear is level restriced. Some gear is ability restricted.  Like you must have 6 tactics to wield a certain shield.

So basically, when you level up, you'll have more skills, those skills will be more effective, and you'll be able to wear better equipment.

-Rasix
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 05, 2004, 12:42:00 PM

Leveling definitely has an impact, but since the max is 20 it shouldn't be a big deal.  I definitely hope they don't raise that cap with expansions though, or slow down leveling speed.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 05, 2004, 01:27:59 PM

Got it now.  Thanks.

-Numtini
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: November 05, 2004, 01:35:14 PM

Quote from: trias_e
Leveling definitely has an impact, but since the max is 20 it shouldn't be a big deal.  I definitely hope they don't raise that cap with expansions though, or slow down leveling speed.

They'll probably raise the cap, but I'd love it to be only 3-5 levels an expansion that would just rock. One level a month? Fuck yea.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 05, 2004, 01:50:21 PM

I hope they rarely if ever raise the level cap. I'd much rather they bring in new skills and pve and pvp maps and such. They say they're also adding new professions in expansions -- I'd MUCH rather play a new class and know I could get to 20 with it fairly quickly than play the same class for yet another 20 levels. CoH should have taken this route, IMHO. IMagine if CoH had the skill selection done the way GW does it -- you have access to all kinds of powers, but are limited to a set of 8 for any given mission...

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 05, 2004, 01:57:45 PM

Read a review at grimwell that said it would be 1 to 50 levels at release? Did I read it wrong or was the info incorrect?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: November 05, 2004, 02:20:31 PM

Info at Grimwells is incorrect. Never believe a fake news site over the REAL, OFFICIAL web site. (For the record, yes, we too are fake news, much like the daily show - with less funneh and more hate). Though that may change after this election.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 05, 2004, 04:02:56 PM

-Numtini
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: November 05, 2004, 06:35:49 PM

Don't link to shit like that. It makes me not want to play the game.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Little-known tips/facts for Guild Wars  
Jump to: