Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:37:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2008/2009 Football (Soccer) Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008/2009 Football (Soccer) Thread  (Read 213541 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: August 22, 2008, 09:22:43 AM

So the seasons have started for most (except the Spainish) and it's time for another thread in which we all talk out of our asses about the football season.

English Premier League
Liverpool will win the title!!!!

Ok, so seriously, I don't know that Liverpool has enough. They pissed around with the Gareth Barry shit way too long. While I think he's a very good, versatile player, I'm still not sure he's what they need. They need some genuine natural wide players and Rafa just never seems to bother to look for more than squad players in those positions. I think Keane was a great signing even though they overpaid, but I would have rather they get a cheaper, younger striker they can develop and get a proven winger for either the right or left side. Kuyt is just not a winger and playing 2 strikers up top means someone's going to have to play the wings - I just hope Rafa doesn't try to stick Gerrard out there again. I see this team struggling to break down some teams because everybody on the wings will naturally drift inside. The new fullbacks are an interesting pair, though.

I think Man. U. and Chelsea will fight it out for the title again, and I give Chelsea the edge because of United's strikers woes. IF they get Berbatov and Rondldo comes back soon, maybe. I do look forward to seeing Frazier Campbell play more though - he is a fantastic young talent and I just wish Hull had been able to buy him.

I think Everton will struggle to stay 5th this year, probably dropping a few places. Not doing bupkiss to improve their squad in the transfer window is going to hurt them when Yakubu decides he doesn't want to play Merseyside anymore. I think Villa will easily take 5th place and maybe 4th - that team just has some serious young guns with Young and Agbonlahor. They should keep Barry as he really completes that squad. Portsmouth SHOULD be improved but they have problems on the wings. Redknapp has some strange fascination with playing Pappa Bouba Diop no matter what, and I just don't understand it. He's not that good at really anything. He'd make a great Championship holding midfielder, but that's about it. If Blackburn keep Santa Cruz, they should maintain their top-10 finish.

The relegation battle will be interesting. I think Sunderland stays up, and I believe Hull actually has the stomach to stay up as well. I haven't seen Stoke play yet. I'm not sure West Brom has the defense to stay up, but they got a good keeper in Scott Carson. I think Fulham will finally do the drop - their game against Hull was ugly. Their back line is absolutely abysmal. My gut feeling is that Wigan's number is up as well.

Championship

My first impulse is that Birmingham and Reading will go back up. I think Wolves, Palace, Bristol City and maybe Watford will make the playoffs with Wolves finally busting through.

I haven't seen enough of the other leagues to discuss yet.

WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 10:01:02 AM

I think Man U will be ok when Rooney and Ronaldo get fit. They looked pretty dreadful against Newcastle, but that was definitely not their A squad. Chelsea is good though, and has to be bitter about the way the Champions League final ended, so they have something to prove.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 05:38:01 PM

arsenal was horrible last night. They're in for a bad season if they continue on like this. After that Hull city false start, Fulham is looking better and better, Arsenal was just clumsy with wasted possessions and giving away throw ins with no pressure on them.

Liverpool....wow what can I say, I resigned myself to losing my combination wager when there were 5 minutes left, even a draw would mean bye-bye to my twenty bucks, trust captain marvel to turn things around. It remains to be seen if they can actually beat the top 3 regularly to challenge for the title.

Liverpool winning the title? Uh...I don't know about that, too early to say but most of the time, Liverpool can't seem to decide whether they want to win cups or the title. They probably won't have to worry about Champions League qualification spot with the way Arsenal is playing at the moment.

Tonight, Man United will take their first 3 points.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 09:25:47 PM

Liverpool... they look way too ordinary to challenge for the title. If they'd played the way they played the first two games against Chelsea or Man. U., they'd have been beaten 3-0. They need someone on the wings so damn bad. And I've no idea what they are going to do when Macherano gets back. You can't play both Alonso and him in the central midfield AND play Keane and Torres up top unless you move Gerrard to the wing and he does not need to be on the wing.

Spurs are just as bad. I watched them get beat by Sunderland and they have way too much talent to play that mediocre. Of course, what kind of retard sells Robbie Keane and doesn't make Berbatov happy enough to stay? I mean shit, if you were going to have to get rid of one of them, get rid of the pissy one (Berba) and keep Keane so that you'd at least have 2 good strikers. Now it looks like Berbatov is a sure bet to go to Man. U. and Spurs will have days to find some kind of replacement striker. Very bad front office work there.

The Villa-Stoke game was a fun game to watch, and I'll be damned if Stoke didn't look a side that can stay up. That strike by Ricardo Fuller for the second goal was Premier League quaity. Of course, Villa looked very ordinary today.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 11:29:54 PM

Chelsea this week will give us a fair idea I think. If they win convincingly again, and get Robinho (sp) then they will have a great chance.

Man Utd needs their A side fit asap. Half of it being out is not going to help catching Chelsea and we cant afford to slip too far behind.

Liverpool and the Gunners, same old, same old.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 11:45:30 PM

I'm going to be in Barcelona when FC Barcelona plays Villarreal and am thinking about trying to go just to witness the craziness.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 07:40:46 AM

hahaha chelsea gave me heartattack. Take that Heskey! /vengeance  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 12:25:48 PM

Keane had been quieter but he'd wanted to test the waters of the champions league while he still had his best years in front of him.

Berbatov thought He'd be in Champions league by now and be considered :the: reason they were there.  You're good but not that good Berbie.

The skittery crafty guile  isn't currently working in the premiership for Spurs, But it's still early.

But they did look fucking dreadful.

Good show for Fullham. And Bravo to Hull City. I don't think they can keep it up, but get enough  points  of the energized start and hanging on to for another season might not be a bad way to go.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 02:09:40 PM

I'm going to be in Barcelona when FC Barcelona plays Villarreal and am thinking about trying to go just to witness the craziness.

If you do not go to the game, you should be beaten severely by Spainish soccer hooligans. Seriously, dude, I'd kill for that chance.

EDIT: Berbatov is quite good, but anyone who watched them knew that Spurs offense was so good because Keane and Berbie worked well together. The chemistry between the two is what made them both great and neither can carry a team like Torres did for Liverpool last year (and really he had Gerrard playing the Keane role). But Spurs should totally have given Berbie tons of hookers or something to get him to stay, or sold him earlier and bring someone else in with time to build a partnership with Bent.

I really think Hull have the tenacity to stay up, to grind out some results when they need it. Stoke and West Brom I'm not so sure about.

I was also really impressed with Boro. Yes, Liverpool were ordinary, but Boro came out and attacked and actually were a threat. Shit, they should have won that game. If it hadn't been for that lucky break deflection on the first goal, it would have been a draw at worst. Not many teams come to Anfield and attack. Boro may actually finish top 10 this year if they stay healthy. More likely around the low teens, but they'll be better than last year.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 02:14:33 PM by HaemishM »

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 01:43:38 AM

I was also really impressed with Boro. Yes, Liverpool were ordinary, but Boro came out and attacked and actually were a threat. Shit, they should have won that game. If it hadn't been for that lucky break deflection on the first goal, it would have been a draw at worst. Not many teams come to Anfield and attack. Boro may actually finish top 10 this year if they stay healthy. More likely around the low teens, but they'll be better than last year.

Boro always take points off the top 4 though, so I think it's still too early to tell. They might just be doing their usual "big efforts in big games, rubbish everywhere else" act.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 09:03:05 PM

Just saw the Arsenal score... seriously... FULHAM? I realize that Fabregas is hurt but damn. FULHAM? With THAT back line? Even Hull City put 2 in on Fulham. They better get Fabregas back soon or it's going to be a long season for the Gunners.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 10:00:37 AM

Pavlyuchenko will join Spurs

So yeah... another striker. Berba's on the way out. Remains to be seen whether Paylyuchenko is as good as his Euro '08 form would suggest.

Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 10:53:02 AM

EDIT: Berbatov is quite good, but anyone who watched them knew that Spurs offense was so good because Keane and Berbie worked well together. The chemistry between the two is what made them both great and neither can carry a team like Torres did for Liverpool last year (and really he had Gerrard playing the Keane role). But Spurs should totally have given Berbie tons of hookers or something to get him to stay, or sold him earlier and bring someone else in with time to build a partnership with Bent.

Berbatov is a fantastic player, much much better than Keane. No one in the league has a better first touch than him. His problem (and Spurs) is that the rest of the team is fucking shit. No one other than Keane was able to read his passes, or know where to move around him. You get a half decent team around him, and he's going to flourish. I'm excited about him coming to Man U. And honestly.... Rooney could use someone to compete for his spot. I'd probably play Tevez and Berbatov at the start for awhile, because Rooney is serially underperforming, and has been for more than a year.
WayAbvPar

Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 11:50:50 AM

Rooney doesn't look like the same player the past year or so...I wonder if he is hurt more seriously than has been reported. His first touch on the ball seems much wilder. He really needs to have a partner up front who understands his game and can play off of him. I can't count the number of failed connections with Rooney involved in both the England v Czech game and the ManU v Newcastle game I saw- Rooney either playing a ball into space with no runner, or making a run only to see the ball played elsewhere (or just fumbled away). If he plays with someone who can handle the ball on first touch and then distribute/shoot immediately (RvN type) his production will skyrocket. He is also deadly playing the ball in from the wing if they choose to use him that way.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 05:04:57 PM

Sorry that's entirely wrong. The reason RvN left Utd is because he can't play well with Rooney and Ronaldo.

I've said it a lot, but the type of player who Rooney would play best with is Torres (who turned Utd down a number of times--Fergie knows what he needs, just couldn't get it). A fast skilled forward who can finish. Rooney has great strength vision and industry and works really well when he has someone else fast running forward when he drops back and gets the ball, or drops wide and crosses it, because that gives him space to work (because the defenders have to mark the runs of the other players) and/or gives him an outlet for some of his excellent passes (if the runs are not carefully marked).

It's why he plays so well with Ronaldo; because Ronaldo is the things he is not; fast and selfish, a good header and finisher.

Berbatov is a better player than Tevez and will do well for Utd, but he's not the answer. We need Ronaldo back because we don't have anyone fast and incisive enough without him. Berba is a good finisher and a great creative partner (where as Tevez is more like a Rooney-lite: less creativity but with solid industry and a decent finish) and he is taller too, but I don't think he's fast enough to really make the most of Rooney's skills.

People like to hang shit on Rooney but he was excellent last year despite not reaching his peak and is a great team player. His ability to work hard and hold the ball while still being creative is a vital part of the Utd team. There are few if players in the world who have the strength and industry of Rooney, but there are none who combine it with his creative powers.

Saha is the type Utd wants--though he's not Torres level. But unfortunatly he cannot get fit and has lost a lot of which made him so damaging since he's come to Utd.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 05:09:46 PM by lamaros »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 12:09:09 PM

Champions League Group Draws are Out

Probable teams to move on (IMO) are in bold.

Group A
Chelsea
AS Roma

Bordeaux
Cluj

Group B
Inter Milan
Werder Bremen

Panathinaikos
Anorthosis Famagusta

Group C
Barcelona
Sporting Lisbon

Basle
Shakhtar Donetsk

Group D
Liverpool
Atletico Madrid

PSV Eindhoven
Marseille

Group E
Man. U
Celtic

Villarreal
Aalborg

Group F
Lyon
Bayern Munich
Steaua Bucharest
Fiorentina

Group H
Real Madrid
Juventus

Zenit St Petersburg
Bate Borisov

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 04:32:37 PM

I've seen people talking about how Man Utd has a 'hard' group in some places. What? Give me E over F or H any day.

I think Liverpool has the hardest group out of the English teams. Though they'll probably manage to scrape through again.

Also: Group G: ARSENAL, Porto, Fenerbahce, Dynamo Kiev.

My predictions at this early stage (1st, 2nd):

A: Chelsea, Roma
B: Inter, Werder
C: Barca, Sporting
D: Atletico, Liverpool
E: Utd, Villarreal
F: Bayern, Lyon
G: Arsenal, Fenerbahce
H: Real, Juve

Possible upsets in:

A - Bordeaux have been good under Blanc, but they probably wont pip Roma.
B - Panathinaikos might be better than Bremen if Werder are poor, but unlikely.
C - Unlikely that Shaktar or Basle will do much.
D - I think everyone in this group might sneak through if lucky, or miss if not. But Marseille have to be favourites for 4th.
E - Celtic might get up, but I expect not.
F - Fiorentina? Who knows. I don't think they have the experience (Who loses to rangers?) But they have to think they've got a good chance.
G - Porto might sneak through, but probably not.
H - Zenit will need solid home form if they are to be a chance. Anything can happen in Russia though.

Oh, and the full name of the team: Borisov Automobile and Tractor Electrical Equipment.  awesome, for real
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 10:11:34 PM

I can't see Bremen not making it through the group stages. They just added Pizarro, Diego will be back and they've actually got decent scoring options up front without any real superstar. Their problem lately has been (as always) keeping the goals out. I also just don't have any faith in any of the French sides. It's been a while since they did much in Europe.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 05:47:41 PM

Man, what the fuck is wrong with Everton? Pompey sliced them up and that is not one of the better Pompey midfields. Maybe it's all the injuries, but holy shit, they are getting punched in the dick.

Liverpool continues to be boring and listless. Granted, without Torres and Gerrard, one would expect them to lose a little something. But holy shit, Rafa continues to make moves that make no sense. He pulls off Keane in the 70th minute... who the fuck else is going to score goals? He'd already taken Kuyt out to replace him with a back. Why no Babel? He loved Babel last year and now the kid can barely get a look in. I just don't get it.

Also, Roofles Chelsea, good job Spurs.

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 06:10:35 PM

Everton never added anything to their squad, if anything they are significantly weaker. It's not that surprising for them to lack goals, but to lose 3-0 and missing penalty at home is quite a big question mark about the team's strength.

Luxor
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 05:21:04 AM

As usual the last day of the transfer window throws up some immense panic buying. Everton spend £15m on a 20 year old no-one has heard of, Man U get dicked out of an extra £5m for Berbatov, Liverpool pay £8m for some guy who wasn't good enough for the premiership 2 years ago and Man City fans woke up yesterday morning fearing that their club was in freefall - what with their owner wanted in his homeland, his assets frozen and other directors having to put in their own money to get the tea-lady paid. By the end of the day they were quite possibly the richest club in the world, had bid £100m on players and had gazumped Chelski to the signing of Robinho from Madrid. Bizarre

Reports are today that the Newcastle manager will resign and be the first casualty of the day as he was fed up with the lack of transfer targets aquired. Keegan has previous for walking out on clubs when he throws a strop though, get your money on him being the first premiership manager to leave his club this season.
Luxor
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 09:01:45 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 09:56:45 AM

I know very little about Riera, but fuck, at least he's a natural wide player. Liverpool need that like noboby's business. They also shipped off Voronin and Finnan. Not sure the second was a good idea, but I am liking Dossena.

Good on Man City for fucking Chelsea out of Robinho. That City side might actually make a few waves. Even better for Tottenham, they got rid of Bitchy Bear and picked up Frazier Campbell. Berbatov is very good, but I think Campbell has got a lot better upside for Spurs considering he's young and has the drive and ability to be a star and probably won't hate playing there. I hate that he didn't get to go back to Hull though. Fuck Man. U. for sending him to a rich club and not Hull.

WayAbvPar

Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 11:07:26 AM

ManU needed Berbatov, or someone. They have looked utterly ordinary so far. The first 60 minutes against Zenit were just horrifying.

Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 01:25:59 PM

So what will happen to Ronaldo?  Hasn't he been sitting every EPL game so far and the cup play as well?

As a Spurs fan I hate to lose him (Berb) but I think I'll continue pulling for him even at ManU... he's that beautiful to watch (when he's of a mood to be arsed).

COME ON YOU SPURS!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 02:15:46 PM

Ronaldo is still recovering from ankle(?) surgery. Lacking his playmaking skills, with Rooney lacking a second experienced striking partner (I think Tevez is hurt too), they've just been average.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 03:16:08 PM

Spurs and Man City squads look really good this season I liked Spurs line up on Saturday if they can gel they might get into Europe at last this season.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
WayAbvPar

Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 04:31:04 PM

Ronaldo is still recovering from ankle(?) surgery. Lacking his playmaking skills, with Rooney lacking a second experienced striking partner (I think Tevez is hurt too), they've just been average.

Tevez played Friday and was an absolute ANIMAL. He may have worked his way into being one of my favorite players. Having both him and Rooney up top seems really redundant- they both play similar (at least in my limited viewings), and both are too small to be any sort of aerial target. Would love to see Rooney moved to MF so he can roam to his heart's content.

Also- LMAO at ManCity- that new ownership group is going to be fun to watch.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 06:13:44 PM

Yeh Rooney maybe deemed as a more adventurous replacement for Paul Scholes down the line and you're right about Tevez he is one of the strongest players I've seen since Maradona even big players just bounce off him due to his low centre of gravity (short legs and a long torso). Pity he doesn't have Maradonas finesse but he ain't bad technique wise either, he keeps sticking it to spurs fans singing "He's a shit Maradona". But Berbatov is on another level he doesn't have the tenacity of the other two he's just a class act in the mould of Eric Cantona something United have missed in recent times good addition.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Bokonon
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 13, 2008, 01:13:00 PM

I love the Fulham Hate. They are like the Rays and Cubs all rolled into one, and I hope they stay up this year, without the drama of the last couple.

And yes, I started following them because of Dempsey (former NE Revs season ticket holder), but if all Dempsey gets are some starts in the Carling Cup, so be it.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 13, 2008, 02:34:22 PM

Does anyone know a way to see more EPL games on digital cable without shelling out a ton of cash? I find that I really want to get into the different leagues and whatnot, but I can only watch a game a week on FSN.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #31 on: September 14, 2008, 10:02:31 AM

If you have Directv, you can get Setanta Sports for $14.99 a month. You will generally get 4-5 EPL games each weekend, 1-2 Scottish Premier League games a week, 2 English Championship games a week, plus Carling Cup, FA Cup and Champions League games. Or, see if your provider gets either Fox Soccer Channel (4-5 EPL games a week, Italian Serie A, plus MLS, Argentina, Colombia and other Latin American games) or GolTV which has Spanish La Liga, German Bundesliga and some Italian leagues, with a bunch of other Latin American games as well.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 14, 2008, 12:43:34 PM

Grats to pool yesterday played us off the park and even threw in a couple of jammy goals just to play with our minds. But yeh Riera looks handy enough needs to get attuned to the pace of Premier League and he could be good. Also Berba looks like a great addition but the midfield was pisspoor and he got little good service Scholes was a non starter & all fell apart when Carrick went off. Not taking anything away from Pool but it was a shambolic performance in the second half.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #33 on: September 14, 2008, 01:50:41 PM

LIIIIIII-VER-POOOOOOOLLL!!!!!

Yeah, just had to say it. Game should probably have been a draw, but that shitty, fumbling own goal by Wes Brown was the clincher. Riera played his ass off and I can't wait to see him on the pitch with Gerrard, Keane, Torres and Babel. I hope Rafa starts playing Babel on the right wing. Man. U. midfield was pretty crap most of the day - you guys really miss Ronaldo. Had he been in there, game would have been completely different. I'm still not sure why Sir Alex played Rooney on the right instead of Nani. It isn't that he didn't do well there (though he disappeared the second half), but I think Nani is more suited to the role.

Either way, a beautiful, edge of your seat game.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 14, 2008, 07:35:44 PM

We missed Carrick mostly. Needed a central midfielder who could hold the ball and pass.

Still, if it wasn't for that brain fade from VDS I still think Utd could have won.

No great worries, though it was still annoying to concede the two stupid goals like that, and when the team is full firing with Berbatov settled, Ronaldo back, and Nani and Carrick on top of their game I think we could see some amazing perfomances this year.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2008/2009 Football (Soccer) Thread  
Jump to: