Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 09:28:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Live and learn: gimped myself during WPE 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live and learn: gimped myself during WPE  (Read 4302 times)
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

on: November 03, 2004, 06:50:33 PM

After reading threads on a number of boards regarding Mesmers, I discovered I totally missed the boat on the main attraction of mesmers: fast casting. I didn't put any points into this Attribute because it looked as though there was only 1 skill that took advantage of it and I could never find that skill.

By pumping attribute points into fast casting, a mesmer can reduce the time it takes to cast a spell. So, for example, I might have been able to get off Mesemer spells like Backfire (or any of my Elementalist spells) before an opponent could cast or finish their skill.

This would have helped in many situations where tanks or other casters got in my face -- I might have had more of a chance to "cast and run" or otherwise respond more swiftly. Live and learn. Now I'm looking forward to the Beta event even more so to see if I can do it better this next time...

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 07:18:16 PM

That only applies to spells right, not skills?

Sounds like a Mesmer would be better paired with another casting class as opposed to a physical attack class - probably one of the reasons my ranger/mesmer didn't seem like a good combo.

It'll be fun to start at level 1 this weekend and see how that goes.

- Viin
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 08:21:16 PM

Here's the skill description for Fast Casting:

Fast Casting [Primary Only]: Fast Casting increases the speed of which skills can be activated, the more attribute points spent upon it; the more rapid the Mesmer's skill delivery will be.

It's any "skill" -- but you have to have Mesmer as your primary profession.

Here are the specials for other professions:

Necromancer:      Soul Reaping [Primary Only]: The Necromancer gains energy points whenever a creature dies. The more points allocated into this attribute, the more energy given.

Warrior: Strength [Primary Only]: Improves the effectiveness of linked skills. Typically related to the increase of the Warrior's health or resistance.

Ranger: no information, but I think it used to be called Stealth and now is "Expertise"  Lowers attack skill cost by 4% per point.

Elementalist: Energy Storage: Increases the maximum amount of energy available to the Elementalist. 3 extra energy is allocated per point spent into the attribute. Also improves the effectiveness of linked skills.

Monk:  Divine Favor [Primary Only]: Improves the effectiveness of Divine Favor linked skills.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 10:22:37 PM

Mesmer also gets a spell that sets the skill use timer for the skill the current target is using to ~29 seconds. So that healing sig the fighter keeps firing off? Blast him with the spell and his healing sig doesn't refresh for 30 seconds. I think it was expencive though (like 15 energy?).
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 10:28:51 PM

Quote from: Krakrok
Mesmer also gets a spell that sets the skill use timer for the skill the current target is using to ~29 seconds. So that healing sig the fighter keeps firing off? Blast him with the spell and his healing sig doesn't refresh for 30 seconds. I think it was expencive though (like 15 energy?).

It's called Diversion (a hex) and costs about 10 or 15 to use. With my Mes/Elem combo, I almost never went without a glyph of lesser energy, which makes the next skill used cost 15 less energy. I found it very necessary for energy management for a mesmer -- a guaranteed 15 energy savings per use, as opposed to energy taps, etc. However, with my new knowledge of Fast Casting, I may try using Energy Tap much more often, combined with the Glyph of renewal (next skill recharges 2x as fast) -- so i could fire the glyph, which last about 15-20 seconds or until a spell is cast -- energy tap, then energy tap again a few moments later -- hopefully draining a lot of spellcasting power or skill power from a foe while boosting my own energy pool.

So many combos to think of....

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 03:06:46 AM

I played primarily a necro/war combo that I found pretty effective both in the E3 weekend and the past event. I'd usually hang back at the start and set up life drains on 2 or 3 ppl on the opposite team then look around for low life people my team had on the run and run in and whack them down with 100 blows or hamstring. With 7 or 8 in my sword skill my damage was pretty good and with the life drains up and running I was hard to kill except when I got caught in those damn firestorms.

Next I'm thinking of trying a monk/mesmer combo. I figure with the monk's immobilization spells and the mezmer's life drains and other debilitating skills I might be a nasty target, as most teams go for monks first.

A RL friend is thinking of a monk/war combo, to improve mana regen. I don't think it will be as effective as the war/monk currently is but it could be interesting.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Live and learn: gimped myself during WPE  
Jump to: