Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:19:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Blade & Soul In-Engine Footage (PS3/PC NCSoft MMOG) CLICK HERE. 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blade & Soul In-Engine Footage (PS3/PC NCSoft MMOG) CLICK HERE.  (Read 179342 times)
schild
Administrator

on: August 01, 2008, 10:40:18 AM

My god, it's full of stars.

Like, seriously. CLICK THAT LINK. CLICK IT. CLICK IT NOW.

Will it be good? Who knows. BUT HOLY CRAP.

Edit: Screenshots, in-game.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:44:54 AM by schild »
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 10:49:45 AM

I have absolutely no clue who this is, but I translated the text below the picture.

Q: What can you tell us about the design inspiration for the females in-game?

A: "Hyung-Tae Kim is amazing. It may come as a shock, but I've never known a woman's touch, but his drawings come to life in a way I've never seen. It's as if your face is just buried in tits. Left, right, up, down, tits. It's a constant motorboat of awesome. God, I love that man more than anything else on this earth."
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:05:57 AM

Are random panty shots just required for any images from asianesque games?
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 11:07:05 AM

Are random panty shots just required for any images from asianesque games?

No. Don't be that guy. We have enough of those here. They are, however, requirements for anything involving art by Hyung-Tae Kim.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 11:12:33 AM

Just struck me on the video panning. I have NO idea how this thing would play, but it visually made me think of a Too Human gameplay video with nicer graphics and zoom.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 11:14:07 AM

You can only hope it's as actiony as Too Human (who's controls I hated on the 360 controller), as it's an NCSoft MMOG.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 11:17:00 AM

It may come as a shock, but I've never known a woman's touch..."

It was no shock at all. 

The trailer/video has taught me a very important lesson.  My tastes are very different from those of the current gaming generation.  This just didn't appeal to me in any way, shape, or form.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 11:18:34 AM

It was no shock at all. 

The trailer/video has taught me a very important lesson.  My tastes are very different from those of the current gaming generation.  This just didn't appeal to me in any way, shape, or form.

Ditto.

I am the .00000001428%
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 11:18:58 AM

Or maybe your tastes aren't broad enough! Man, I've been saying that a lot lately. ^_^
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 11:23:04 AM

Or maybe your tastes aren't broad enough! Man, I've been saying that a lot lately. ^_^

I think I have pretty broad tastes.  The japanese/korean fighting style games have just never captured my interest.  I'm not a mortal combat or final fantasy fan and that's what this first struck me as.  I don't like the art.  I especially don't like the pre-pubescent, scantily clad, and disproportionate female bodies. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 11:24:16 AM

It was no shock at all. 

I think you may be jumping to conclusions if you think that the current gaming generation would play this game, at least in this country.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 11:24:30 AM

Swords aren't big enough to be final fantasy. Unless we're just seeing low level content and the game goes all WoW shoulderpads on us.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 11:27:00 AM

This style of art just completely turns me away from the game and any game that looks like it. I also can't stand anime, so that probably pretty much says it all.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 11:28:34 AM

Well, yes, that's Hyung-Tae Kim for you. You should see his previous works, they're even more disproportionate. Just horribly so.

Gametrailers version: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/247181.html

Anyway, what I was getting at, is while I enjoy playing games where the art style appeals to me. It doesn't keep me from playing anything. Basically, Fun still more important. Who knows if this will be fun. I just wanted to link to those disproportionate women getting faceslammed by an ogre. Lots of times. And then an effeminate dude getting wrecked by one of those freaky women.

I think you may be jumping to conclusions if you think that the current gaming generation would play this game, at least in this country.

So. How's that going? What you ask? Not being in touch with gamers, like, at all. Magna Carta - same artist - was, until Persona 3, the best selling Atlus game. What is Magna Carta?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 11:32:29 AM

Anyway, what I was getting at, is while I enjoy playing games where the art style appeals to me. It doesn't keep me from playing anything. Basically, Fun still more important. Who knows if this will be fun. I just wanted to link to those disproportionate women getting faceslammed by an ogre. Lots of times. And then an effeminate dude getting wrecked by one of those freaky women.

That's a very good point and one that I should take to heart.  I'll try not to be so judgemental based on the look alone.  That creaky sound is me attempting to open my mind.

-  Mark Twain
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 11:39:31 AM

Hmm, NCsoft portfolio is basically advancing toward another phase:

- Aion   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
- Blade & Soul  this guy looks legit
- Carbine Studios' MMOG  awesome, for real
- Lum's MMOG  ACK!
- Arena Net's Guild Wars 2  Heart

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 11:44:59 AM

What kind of gussed up tarty weebo whore child of Street Fighter and Final Fantasy is this?  ACK!  ACK! There were more upskirt shots in that video than a webcammed bathroom. Is this some kind of PVE massively multiplayer fighting game? It's pretty, I'll give it that. But for a gameplay video, it tells me stunningly little about the game.

schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 11:48:55 AM

it tells me stunningly little about the game.

Addressed that!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 12:09:36 PM

Ill look at the video when i get home.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 12:12:17 PM

I'm all about boobs, don't get me wrong. I'm also about sexily clad women doing combat. But its the child's face on the buxom woman's body that's creepy. Anyone that digs that shit is a bit bent, in my not so humble opinion.

Also, the sword-fighting-in-a-nightie strains suspension of disbelief to the breaking point.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 12:31:33 PM

Well, yes, that's Hyung-Tae Kim for you. You should see his previous works, they're even more disproportionate. Just horribly so.

Gametrailers version: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/247181.html

So. How's that going? What you ask? Not being in touch with gamers, like, at all. Magna Carta - same artist - was, until Persona 3, the best selling Atlus game. What is Magna Carta?

How did it sell in the US? And how did it stack up against the market as a whole, not just other ones from the same company?

And remember we're talking about an MMO here, right? The realities of that market are a bit different than those of console boob fighters and Asian RPGs.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 12:36:36 PM by Ingmar »

schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 12:39:35 PM

I'm talking about Atlus America. Not Atlus Japan. Magna Carta was a korean game localized by Atlus America for America. Hyung-Tae Kim, as you can tell by his name, is a Korean artist. And huge over there.

And yea, I know we're not talking about an MMOG. But even Blizzard puts revealing armor on their 8 polygon female models.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 01:06:54 PM

Well I think it looks awesome, but I'm automatically suspicious of any Korean mmo.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 01:08:13 PM

So wait a minute - your basis for this being something that every teenage gamer in America will clamor for the minute they hear about it is that some other game with the same artist was briefly the best-selling game by a subsidiary publishing arm of a medium sized third party developer?

swamp poop

EDIT: Can someone explain to me why poking at Schild is so entertaining? I can't stop. :(
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 01:10:35 PM by Ingmar »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 02:19:08 PM

I'm impressed, the freedom of movements , and many other things, makes me believe its not an MMO. Thats not knocking the game footage.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 04:14:10 PM

Granado espada had similar well done combat animation. Still a grindfest, tho.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #26 on: August 02, 2008, 12:35:21 AM

Yea, finally an MMORPG with an arcade fighting game-style combat look to it.

Don't really like the oddly proportioned female models, though. Granado Espada had similar "busty" female models but the GE ones look a lot better.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #27 on: August 02, 2008, 06:52:50 AM

I'm interested enough to watch this title.

Apparently the character classes are "large muscular male, underdressed" and "tiny pneumatic female, underdressed".

tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 02, 2008, 09:15:42 AM

Q: What can you tell us about the design inspiration for the females in-game?

A: "Hyung-Tae Kim is amazing. It may come as a shock, but I've never known a woman's touch, but his drawings come to life in a way I've never seen. It's as if your face is just buried in tits. Left, right, up, down, tits. It's a constant motorboat of awesome. God, I love that man more than anything else on this earth."

Tell me that you're joking. You just forgot the green. I mean, that has got to be a mistranslation. No way a game developer could say such a thing.

Although, it might explain a thing or two...
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 09:16:15 AM

I don't do green. It's the most annoying thing on the goddamn site. People need to learn how to read.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #30 on: August 02, 2008, 09:47:14 AM

Yea, finally an MMORPG with an arcade fighting game-style combat look to it.
Didn't really see anything different from current MMOs there. So a character performs half a dozen of kicks when i use the skill instead of half dozen sword swings... same old shit with floating damage numbers.

Oh and that's hardly gameplay video with the UI permanently off, the camera permanently spinning around and the whole thing being nothing but mix of cutscenes and fight sequences (edited for extra pace feel). With this approach one could make even LotRO trailer look all shiny.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 09:49:50 AM by tmp »
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 02, 2008, 09:55:56 AM

Oh and that's hardly gameplay video with the UI permanently off, the camera permanently spinning around and the whole thing being nothing but mix of cutscenes and fight sequences (edited for extra pace feel). With this approach one could make even LotRO look trailer all shiny.
Which is why LotRO, WoW, AoC, and (for example) WAR ought to do gameplay videos this way. The point of a gameplay video isn't to accurately reflect what the screen looks like while you play... it's to show you how, ideally, you should feel while playing. When you're in the groove you forget the UI, ignore the stupid mechanics, and feel like the badass your character can be.

Like several other people here, the art turns me off and I imagine it'll be a grindfest without fun quests or much character customization... but in terms of making something that seems to play like a fighting game? Yeah, I think they did that. I also like the dynamics of the fights with large monsters... seems there's a lot of running around involved, which always felt more epic to me than tanking the big guy next to wall.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 02, 2008, 10:01:25 AM

The point of a gameplay video isn't to accurately reflect what the screen looks like while you play... it's to show you how, ideally, you should feel while playing. When you're in the groove you forget the UI, ignore the stupid mechanics, and feel like the badass your character can be.
Sure, as long as the clunky UI and the stupid mechanics don't prevent you from getting in that groove in the first place. And that is rather hard to tell when both are conveniently hidden from you.

Heck, with this approach they could've made that trailed just full of tits and panning panty shots. That'd put lot of people in the groove too, and would tell as much about the actual game.

edit: point being, if even the alleged snoozefest like LotRO could be made look all slick and epic using approach from that 'gameplay' trailer ... then at the moment there's no way to tell if actual gameplay of this new product isn't equally grindy snoozefest. And so i'd rather refrain from getting excited about it based on this footage alone.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 10:10:21 AM by tmp »
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: August 02, 2008, 10:02:16 AM

Remember guys, being designed for the PS3. I imagine core gameplay will be at least SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT than standard fare. SLIGHTLY.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 02, 2008, 10:16:55 AM

Remember guys, being designed for the PS3. I imagine core gameplay will be at least SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT than standard fare. SLIGHTLY.
Final Fantasy XI is console-oriented game, too... now granted, FF is its own kettle of fish, just... a point of sorts it doesn't have to amount to much, i guess.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Blade & Soul In-Engine Footage (PS3/PC NCSoft MMOG) CLICK HERE.  
Jump to: