Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:16:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MMA  (Read 265570 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: January 31, 2010, 05:34:39 PM

Manhoef was probably the most impressive of the lot, even though he lost.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: February 01, 2010, 07:01:49 PM

Manhoef was probably the most impressive of the lot, even though he lost.

Yah, he looked really good until he dropped his hands and got caught.  You can tell he's got great speed and that he's a great athlete, but I think he's one of those high-strung guys...  the Melvin Guillard, Vitor Belfort, or Paul Daley types.  When they're on, they look unstoppable.  When they aren't, it's a mess.

The fact that SF bumped Jay Heiron and Joe Riggs to the undercard was a travesty.  Heiron is a solid fighter and probably the number one contender, but they put both Lashley and Walker on the main card. 

Riggs is another guy that either looks like a beast or a joke.

UFC this weekend.  Despite a weak main event, should be solid.

Main card (televised):

205 lbs.: Mark Coleman vs. Randy Couture
185 lbs.: Nate Marquardt vs. Chael Sonnen
170 lbs.: Paulo Thiago vs. Mike Swick
185 lbs.: Demian Maia vs. Dan Miller
170 lbs.: Matt Serra vs. Frank Trigg

Under card:

155 lbs.: Mac Danzig vs. Justin Buchholz (Spike Broadcast)
155 lbs.: Melvin Guillard vs. Ronnys Torres (Spike Broadcast)
155 lbs.: Rob Emerson vs. Phillipe Nover
205 lbs.: Brian Stann vs. Phil Davis
265 lbs.: Tim Hague vs. Chris Tuchscherer
265 lbs.: Rolles Gracie vs. Mostapha Al Turk

All of the main card fights are interesting. 
- Coleman vs. Couture isn't main event worthy, but it's a good match. 
- Marquardt vs Sonnen is definitely for next crack at Silva.  Sonnen isn't an exciting fighter, and he's been uneven, but he still has wins over Filho and Okami.
- Thiago vs. Swick.  Should be a solid fight.
- Maia vs. Miller.  This should be nice.  Maia and Miller are both trying to prove that they're legit.
- Serra vs. Trigg.  Guilty pleasure.  Should be an even match between guys in a similar point of their careers.

Hopefully we'll get most of the undercard broadcast as well.  I'd like to see Gracie, Stann, and Nover fight.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #317 on: February 02, 2010, 12:09:11 AM

Once again you are underestimating Dream fighters, Diaz dominated besides getting hit with one punch against a really good striker in the Dream grand prix winner.  The great thing about the Diaz brothers is they will take a punch and recover so goddamn fast.   There is absolutely no shame in that win, that guy would rape Heiron who really doesn't have any kind of pedigree he lost to Brad Blackburn and Chris Wilson, two IFL fighters who UFC picked up.

They need to pick someone up to fight Diaz but apparently they can't be bothered.  Diaz has already come out and said he isn't excited to fight Heiron or Sakurai.

The Manhoef fight was a clinic in leg kicks but yeah idiot drops his hands, not sure why you would compare him to Daley unless you've seen some of his pre ufc fights, all he's ever done in ufc is wreck people.

Every other fight was trash, couldn't give less of a shit about any of them.  Also Fedor v Werdum is a joke, what a horrible fight.

UFC, bleh its a solid card thanks to the decent undercard but I'm not going to pay for something that has two gimmick fights on the overcard one being the main event.  I don't give a fuck about Trigg, Serra, Coleman or Couture.  I don't think Sonnen has anything for Marquardt tbh either I expect Nate the Great to walk right through him.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 12:12:19 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #318 on: February 02, 2010, 08:27:10 PM

Sonnen is the most boring fighter on the planet.  Hopefully, he'll have less luck in keeping Nate on the ground while he throws ineffective strikes or maybe Nate will wreck him as Sonnen dances around the cage throwing happy love taps for maximum pointage. 

-Rasix
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: February 02, 2010, 09:18:42 PM

Once again you are underestimating Dream fighters, Diaz dominated besides getting hit with one punch against a really good striker in the Dream grand prix winner.  The great thing about the Diaz brothers is they will take a punch and recover so goddamn fast.   There is absolutely no shame in that win, that guy would rape Heiron who really doesn't have any kind of pedigree he lost to Brad Blackburn and Chris Wilson, two IFL fighters who UFC picked up.

They need to pick someone up to fight Diaz but apparently they can't be bothered.  Diaz has already come out and said he isn't excited to fight Heiron or Sakurai.

Dream has solid MWs and LWs, but....  Zaromskis has no big wins himself.  The UFC just has a deathgrip on all of the top WWs....  something like 8 of the top 10 are in the UFC, and most of the top 11-20. 

Heiron/Riggs should have been on the main card because those are the top two WWs in their roster, besides Diaz.  Yah, they're both journeymen.  You need to set up Diaz's next match.  Otherwise you're just bringing in some guy that none of the US fans is familiar with to lose to the champ. 

Sakurai is the only other guy I've heard of.

I'd love to see some of the Dream LWs in the UFC, though.  They have a great stable of LWs, and it would shake up a division of wrestlers and maybe give BJ a legit opponent.

The Manhoef fight was a clinic in leg kicks but yeah idiot drops his hands, not sure why you would compare him to Daley unless you've seen some of his pre ufc fights, all he's ever done in ufc is wreck people.

I caught some of Daley's earlier fights in EliteXC or SF...  he can look terrible.  I mean, he's a great striker but his ground game is pretty blah. 

Every other fight was trash, couldn't give less of a shit about any of them.  Also Fedor v Werdum is a joke, what a horrible fight.

Fedor should win pretty easily, but Werdum is a legit opponent with some good wins and a great ground game.  SF and Dream's HW stable is really thin.  Bigfoot Silva, Rogers, Overeem (who hasn't fought in SF in 2 years).  Even the free agents are sparse.  Barnett has another steroid suspension so he won't be able to fight in the US for a while, which leaves.....  Monson?  An Arlovski or Sylvia rematch?

When Fedor squashes Werdum, who is he going to fight?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: February 03, 2010, 08:37:41 AM

When Fedor squashes Werdum, who is he going to fight?

Hershel Walker?  Maybe Bobby Lashey?

Seriously though, you're right.  Going to SF was a fucking retarded thing for him to do.  I think I've said it before in this thread, but I think he's afraid of some real competition tarnishing his legend.  He is not interested in fighting the best anymore.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: February 03, 2010, 05:57:54 PM

Just to throw it out there:

The least offensive MMA forum I've found in the past couple years is www.mmaforum.com

Some decent discussion topics, a fairly educated base, no Vault level nonsense posts, and most posters can at least fake functional literacy.  They have fairly active boards for the major mma orgs, and it's not Sherdog.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #322 on: February 08, 2010, 01:05:12 PM

There were some really great fights on that ufc card, I wish they would stop with the gimmick fights though.  Trigg, Coleman and Gracie looked like such ass it really took a lot of the fun out of it.

Everything not involving those three fighters was top notch.  Even though there were two fights where the fighters were mostly stymied (Guillard v Torres) & (Maia v Miller) I'd like to see all four of those guys again against strong opposition it was mostly a card of really good fights.  What the fuck was the ufc thinking showing Gracie just gas out and lie down at the end?  That was goddamn sad and left such a bad taste in my mouth after watching Coleman be a fucking old man and get beat up for it.

I hope ufc keeps Nover for another fight, if despite ring rust and incredible pressure he 50-50'd with a solid Emerson I'd like to see him stick around maybe a fight with Danzig who won on this card but didn't really wow me?

I also hope somebody mentions to the ufc's commentators that calling every black fighter "an athlete" is getting sort of racist at this point.  It is partially true but its just kind of off putting to hear it all the time.  Phil Davis looked great in his ufc debut admittedly it was a fight with a very one dimensional opponent and he wouldn't have it anywhere near that easy against a bunch of other fighters but if he works hard and improves his strikes and subs he could be something good down the line.

I don't know if they should bother keeping Stann around or not, you aren't much of a gatekeeper if a newcomer wipes the floor with you.  I personally couldn't stand the guy back in the WEC so not having to see him anymore wouldn't bug me in the slightest.

On ufc.com they are talking about Couture being in title contention at 205 now, which seems fairly hasty but ok I'll buy it.  In musing about who he could fight while waiting for Rua v Machida the names Griffin and Kimbo were dropped.  Yuck.  This is the type of shitty fight I don't want to see.  Now putting Couture against somebody he is going to have to actually fight really well against or get killed?  That I want to see.  Especially if this is his match to prove he deserves a title shot.  I'm thinking Little Nog (who was supposed to fight Vera @ 109 but got hurt and I think is available), Thiago Silva or even Luis Cane would make for much better fights then Griffin whose sloppy style plays right into Couture's hands.  Of course I expect them to book the Griffin fight, the Kimbo fight is just too fucking gimmicky but any of those other three?  I'm buying that ppv card unless everything else on it is shit.

If Coleman fights Tito or Chuck that will be more of the same sad fucking shit.  Hope they don't do that.  Its bad enough they are letting Tito and Chuck fight again, I could not give less of a shit.

I could keep going and talk about wtf Sonnen, where does this leave Nate the Great?  What a goddamn shocker, I still think Nate is better but Sonnen went old school on his ass and as a massive Anderson Silva fan I'm worried.  Could that jump on you, grind you down stuff work on Anderson?  Everything else has been tried and failed, who knows.  Not that I'm looking past Belfort, I haven't been so hyped for a fight since I thought BJ would actually have something for GSP.  Might they rematch Nate against Maia?  I don't think Maia's stand up is good enough yet so I  hope Maia gets another fight or two before that but ufc is really short on 185'ers that can compete.  I'd like to see Nate v Miller I guess but I don't know who that leaves for Maia to fight.

....  I was going to stop this post a long time ago but what the hell.

Paulo fucking Thiago.  Fuck yeah.  God I hate AKA fighters.  Swick trying to just out point, only counter punch, going for that bs point takedown at the end of round 1.  I was enraged.  Swick was clearly fighting for a decision win first so when Thiago tagged his bitch ass and took him out I couldn't have  been more happy.  He deserves a break from fighting against those AKA guys now, fuck them.  It also makes the 170 division a little more interesting though sadly Alves and Fitch are already booked and that means he could fight Hardy after he losses or a winner from the Daley v Kos or Alves v Fitch match ups but those would be a bit of a wait for somebody who didn't take any damage in his win.  I like him versus Hardy the most of those fights.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 01:16:39 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: February 08, 2010, 04:19:15 PM

Good post!  Not too long at all.  I'll post some thoughts when I get home from work....  fucking tax season.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: February 08, 2010, 07:07:14 PM

There were some really great fights on that ufc card, I wish they would stop with the gimmick fights though.  Trigg, Coleman and Gracie looked like such ass it really took a lot of the fun out of it.

Everything not involving those three fighters was top notch.  Even though there were two fights where the fighters were mostly stymied (Guillard v Torres) & (Maia v Miller) I'd like to see all four of those guys again against strong opposition it was mostly a card of really good fights.  What the fuck was the ufc thinking showing Gracie just gas out and lie down at the end?  That was goddamn sad and left such a bad taste in my mouth after watching Coleman be a fucking old man and get beat up for it.

Coleman looked bad.  Just old, stiff, and creaky.  Randy looks fucking amazing for a man his age that has been as active and been in the wars that he has been in.

It's a taste thing, but I like Serra.  Very stereotypical NY Italian, but he says what he means and wears his heart on his sleeve.  If he stays healthy, he can be a solid mid-carder for the UFC....  He had a great fight with Hughes, and has held his own with prime Karo and young BJ Penn.  Trigg isn't a bad fighter, but he may be at the end of his rope. 

I think the UFC is grooming both these guys to a bit for post-fighting work.  Trigg has commented and has Emceed MMA radio shows, and Serra has some real flair.

If you want to keep your sanity, Hoax, don't look up what Serra brought in purse wise for that.  The disclosed amount was.... large.

I hope ufc keeps Nover for another fight, if despite ring rust and incredible pressure he 50-50'd with a solid Emerson I'd like to see him stick around maybe a fight with Danzig who won on this card but didn't really wow me?

Emerson is another solid mid-carder.  I enjoy his fights solely because he was the butt of an internet joke that grew a life of its own....  A certain MMA forum decided to pick a random noob fighter, and always talk him up as if he was the greatest fighter ever.  And then he started winning.

I also hope somebody mentions to the ufc's commentators that calling every black fighter "an athlete" is getting sort of racist at this point.  It is partially true but its just kind of off putting to hear it all the time.  Phil Davis looked great in his ufc debut admittedly it was a fight with a very one dimensional opponent and he wouldn't have it anywhere near that easy against a bunch of other fighters but if he works hard and improves his strikes and subs he could be something good down the line.

I don't know if they should bother keeping Stann around or not, you aren't much of a gatekeeper if a newcomer wipes the floor with you.  I personally couldn't stand the guy back in the WEC so not having to see him anymore wouldn't bug me in the slightest.

Stann will get another shot or two.  Between looking like the epitome of white-bread America, a war record, and leaving the Marines as a Captain there is no way the UFC will pass on that PR opportunity.  He makes a great gate-keeper to feed hot prospects to.  You can just tell sometimes when the UFC is salivating at a mediocre fighter with PR opportunities.... 

Marcus Jones from the last TUF, for instance.  Former NFL player, self-avowed geek (quoted as playing D&D when he was a teen), came across as the sweetest man on the planet till he got angry.

Totally agree on the "athlete" thing.  Rogan especially needs to watch the stereotyping.

On ufc.com they are talking about Couture being in title contention at 205 now, which seems fairly hasty but ok I'll buy it.  In musing about who he could fight while waiting for Rua v Machida the names Griffin and Kimbo were dropped.  Yuck.  This is the type of shitty fight I don't want to see.  Now putting Couture against somebody he is going to have to actually fight really well against or get killed?  That I want to see.  Especially if this is his match to prove he deserves a title shot.  I'm thinking Little Nog (who was supposed to fight Vera @ 109 but got hurt and I think is available), Thiago Silva or even Luis Cane would make for much better fights then Griffin whose sloppy style plays right into Couture's hands.  Of course I expect them to book the Griffin fight, the Kimbo fight is just too fucking gimmicky but any of those other three?  I'm buying that ppv card unless everything else on it is shit.

Lil Nog is slated to fight Forrest next.  Thiago Silva and Cane should be available, and both those guys have the power to ruin Randy's day.  I actually thing Randy has a good shot of beating Shogun...  Shogun has looked weak to freestyle wrestling and he's a small LHW, tends to get wild and give up the easy takedowns.  Machida is even a better matchup than Cane, Silva, or Lil Nog if Randy can close the distance and tie him up.

Really seems like the matchmakers are setting up Rashad/Rampage and Lil Nog/Forrest for the next title shots, giving them coverage if there is an injury in there.  I'd be surprised if Randy can bump the line with another win, but....  he's done it before.

I could keep going and talk about wtf Sonnen, where does this leave Nate the Great?  What a goddamn shocker, I still think Nate is better but Sonnen went old school on his ass and as a massive Anderson Silva fan I'm worried.  Could that jump on you, grind you down stuff work on Anderson?  Everything else has been tried and failed, who knows.  Not that I'm looking past Belfort, I haven't been so hyped for a fight since I thought BJ would actually have something for GSP.  Might they rematch Nate against Maia?  I don't think Maia's stand up is good enough yet so I  hope Maia gets another fight or two before that but ufc is really short on 185'ers that can compete.  I'd like to see Nate v Miller I guess but I don't know who that leaves for Maia to fight.

Sonnen seems like he has a good matchup against Anderson.  World-class freestyle wrestling, with good takedowns, and always busy.  His big weakness is subs (specifically guillitone and armbars) from the bottom, and when was the last time we saw Anderson bust those out?  If anything, the UFC MW division is really weak on the elite freestyle wrestlers. 

Hendo is a world-class grappler, but he tends to stick to Greco (which plays into Anderson's Muay Thai clinch) and he is pretty easily suckered into brawling.  Can't think of another great wrestler in the division....  besides Okami.

This version of Sonnen is basically a bigger, better pedigreed version of GSP with much worse striking.  Which is fine, because you have to have brain damage to go out and stand with Anderson.

Poor Nate.  After his loss to Anderson, he really turned it on and he's a fighter I love watching.  The Gouviea video game combo finish was awesome.  I still don't think his style matches up well with Anderson, though.

....  I was going to stop this post a long time ago but what the hell.

Paulo fucking Thiago.  Fuck yeah.  God I hate AKA fighters.  Swick trying to just out point, only counter punch, going for that bs point takedown at the end of round 1.  I was enraged.  Swick was clearly fighting for a decision win first so when Thiago tagged his bitch ass and took him out I couldn't have  been more happy.  He deserves a break from fighting against those AKA guys now, fuck them.  It also makes the 170 division a little more interesting though sadly Alves and Fitch are already booked and that means he could fight Hardy after he losses or a winner from the Daley v Kos or Alves v Fitch match ups but those would be a bit of a wait for somebody who didn't take any damage in his win.  I like him versus Hardy the most of those fights.

I dislike Swick.  He's been overhyped for years, despite never beating an A-level fighter.  It's time everyone recognizes that he's a solid midcarder, and he should pull a Chris Lytle and just go out there to put on entertaining fights.  He's never going to catch a whiff of the title.  He had lots of success (and hype) beating the shit out of guys that got cut from the UFC, but he has problems with even mediocre fighters.

Thiago is a badass.  I noticed, before Rogan said anything, that he obviously has stepped up his physical workout regime.  His striking has obviously improved in each of his fights....  He just had power against Koscheck, but his countering and technique has really stepped up.  It's the complete opposite of Swick whose physique has declined while his striking game has stagnated.

The fact he's a police commando in Brazil?  Yah.  Really goes to mental toughness.  No way he's going to be intimidated by anyone in the ring.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: February 08, 2010, 09:52:16 PM

Yeah Swick has never been anything special. He often looks tentative and has no power. I think he got exposed a while back in his fight with David "The Crow" Leauso. (Hey I gave the spelling a shot) In that fight he was fighting for a decision and got mauled in the third round when David opened up on him.

As far as future Silva fights, keep in mind that Travis Lutter did ok against Silva.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #326 on: February 09, 2010, 09:56:33 AM

Sonnen by default is the worst style match up for Anderson, he's killed every other style there is at this point.  Can Sonnen close to clinch without eating something devastating?  You suspect that he can get Anderson on his back and from there what happens is anybody's guess.  I mean I've never seen Anderson get beat up, it would be something different if Sonnen could get on top of him.  I do think that Anderson has some subs and more importantly knows how to throw switches and maintain guard.

There is also the possibility that Anderson would KTFO this guy as he tries to close and end all debate that nobody can really stop him and he might as well just retire.

That talk is really premature though, Belfort is a crazy dude, he's fast as fuck with power.  I think that fight is going to be over really fast and I think Anderson wins but I'm really excited to see it because if somebody will bring out the best in Silva's amazing fucking striking it just might be Belfort.  I'm so damn hyped for that fight.

-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: February 10, 2010, 05:31:37 PM

Sonnen by default is the worst style match up for Anderson, he's killed every other style there is at this point.  Can Sonnen close to clinch without eating something devastating?  You suspect that he can get Anderson on his back and from there what happens is anybody's guess.  I mean I've never seen Anderson get beat up, it would be something different if Sonnen could get on top of him.  I do think that Anderson has some subs and more importantly knows how to throw switches and maintain guard.

There is also the possibility that Anderson would KTFO this guy as he tries to close and end all debate that nobody can really stop him and he might as well just retire.

That talk is really premature though, Belfort is a crazy dude, he's fast as fuck with power.  I think that fight is going to be over really fast and I think Anderson wins but I'm really excited to see it because if somebody will bring out the best in Silva's amazing fucking striking it just might be Belfort.  I'm so damn hyped for that fight.

The two guys that have done best against Anderson are Lutter and Hendo, both because they got him to the ground.  Lutter gassed, and Hendo tried to brawl and they both lost.  Sonnen has good cardio, and he's not dumb enough to try and trade with Silva.

The Belfort/Silva fight looks insane, though.  A mentally prepared Vitor Belfort could take this in amazing fashion.  That card is looking sick as hell when you add BJ vs. Edgar and Hughes vs. Renzo Gracie to the mix.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: February 11, 2010, 09:53:00 AM

The Belfort/Silva fight looks insane, though.  A mentally prepared Vitor Belfort could take this in amazing fashion.  That card is looking sick as hell when you add BJ vs. Edgar and Hughes vs. Renzo Gracie to the mix.

Damn, is that for 110?  I usually only buy the really good ones, and this sounds like one of them.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: February 11, 2010, 10:00:27 AM

Damn, is that for 110?  I usually only buy the really good ones, and this sounds like one of them.

It's the Abu Dhabi card, which is 112.

The next three cards are pretty solid:

UFC 110 - Big Nog vs. Velasquez, Wanderlei Silva vs. Bisping, Crocop vs Rothwell, Bader vs Jardine;  Lytle vs Brian Foster is on the undercard and should be fan-fucking-tastic, if it gets shown...  hoping it's one of the Spike free prelims.
UFC 111 - GSP vs. Hardy, Mir vs. Carwin, Fitch vs. Alves, and a bunch of interesting fighters on the undercard
UFC 112 - Anderson Silva vs. Belfort, BJ vs. Edgar, Hughes vs. Renzo Gracie (Hughes should win, then I want to see Serra/Renzo)

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: February 11, 2010, 10:06:52 AM

Gotcha.  Looks like I'll be getting both 111 and 112 then.  110 doesn't quite do it for me.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #331 on: February 11, 2010, 05:55:47 PM

That's exactly where I'm at as well.  Any Wanderlei or Crocop fight is a gimmick fight and I hate fucking gimmick fights.

-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: February 11, 2010, 07:48:41 PM

Ugh.  Vitor Belfort is out of UFC 112 with a shoulder injury.

Edit:

There are also rumors of Couture vs. Franklin late Spring or early Summer.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 08:19:44 PM by Johny Cee »
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #333 on: February 13, 2010, 08:52:26 AM

Maia v Anderson because Sonnen is not allowed to fight due to damage sustained in his fight w/ Nate.

I like Maia, I think he's a tough guy who is doing the right things to improve his game and has some of the nastiest bjj in the ufc.  BUT this is too early, he needs 2 more fights at least improving his striking before he can maybe stay alive long enough to find somewhere to threaten Anderson.  Also I don't think bjj experts will ever really threaten Anderson unless they have insane power takedowns or something to go with it.  I'm still stoked for the card but this still sucks balls.  I was more excited for Anderson v Belfort then I have been for any fight in 3-4 years I've been following the ufc.

-William Gibson
harmonicker
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: February 21, 2010, 02:33:00 AM

UFC 113 MACHIDA vs. SHOGUN 2 - May-8-2010

Can Rua win his belt back?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: February 21, 2010, 08:11:31 AM

That was an event with real highs and lows....

- Stevenson vs. Sotiroupoulos was a great fight.  George was on fire.  I like the guy, but I wasn't convinced he was particularly good.  Awesome ground fighting!  George may have launched himself into the top 5 or 10 of that division with the win.

- For whatever reason, Jardine puts me to sleep.  He goes out every time generally trying to play it safe and outpoint the other guy.  Bader is working on his standup, but he also can be a tad unexciting when he falls back on sitting in the guard and relying on mediocre ground and pound.  Good KO.

- Cain just vaulted himself up the HW ranks by taking apart Nog, and looking completely dominant in the performance.

- Wandy/Bisping was alright.  Both guys played it conservative.  Wandy could have taken apart quickly if he was more aggressive.

- Lytle's fight made the broadcast.  More action in the two minutes of that fight then the 15 minutes of a couple of the other fights.  Good back and forth, and great roll into a sub.  Unfortunately, Foster could be done as I think his knee was wrecked. 
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #336 on: February 22, 2010, 07:17:39 PM

Which is really too bad because Foster looked good up to that point, real good.

It was a good event but none of the fights coming out of it really excite me.  Thank god for the Stevenson v George fight, that saved an otherwise fairly boring event though thats mostly because Cain is too beast for Nog to try to handle.  Really though I can't see Sotiroupoulos earning a title shot, you sort of have to assume he needs to go through Maynard to get there and I wouldn't like his chances enough in that fight to get excited for it.  As for Cain, he's amazing but I hate AKA and I really don't care much for heavyweight MMA as a rule.

The next ppv though...  Oh god that is such a goddamn good card.  The most boring fight on the overcard is a Jim Miller fight?  Yes please.  

GSP > Hardy -- I don't think Hardy deserved this title shot and he's a total dickhead Brit who I can't wait to see get manhandled by GSP's speed + wrestling and then punched in the face on his back until he hopefully taps like a bitch.

Mir > Carwin -- I'm looking forward to the Vegas line on this fight, I can see it going either way.  Its just hard when Mir was always such a smart fighter and he suddenly gives a shit.  I really like Mir these days and I think he has a few more ways to win.  I sorta expect Carwin to just KTFO him though because he's a goddamn human wrecking machine.  I'm more excited for this fight then the GSP fight on paper by a wide margin.  

Saunders v Ellenberger -- I really like Killa B Saunders, those knees are just so damn mean and violent.  Let me see if I can get my hands on the unaired prelims for 108 and see this Ellenberger guy fight though before I try to pick this one.

Fitch > Pitbull Alves -- I want to see Thiago win this but I expect Fitch to have a outpoint strategy in place and I think Thiago's game has holes and its a little too one dimensional at this point.  I predict this fight will piss me off the most.

Jim Miller > Bocek -- This seems like a big step up for Bocek and against a guy who will not be easy to submit I don't figure he has much of a chance.

Undercard is worth picking because it has GREAT FIGHTS TOO, holy hell, I'm almost annoyed at how stacked this card is.

Nate Diaz > Markham -- War Diaz, hope he comes out angry and looking to keep the judges the hell out of this one.  He got played pretty hard against Maynard.

Matt Brown > Almeida -- I think Matt Brown can keep this standing for most of the fight and is too tough on his feet for Almeida.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 01:08:00 PM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: February 22, 2010, 08:48:02 PM

Which is really too bad because Foster looked good up to that point, real good.

Yes, completely.  Foster had a great showing before getting caught in his debut, and looked like a beast against Larson.  I really hope that the injury wasn't serious, but....  it looked bad.

I love me some Lytle, though.  Every one of that guy's fights after the Hughes fight is worth a watch....  In every fight, he has either won KO of the night, Sub of the night, or Fight of the night.  Even the Koscheck fight, where he got mauled for a bit, you could tell Koscheck was starting to get really intimidated because Lytle would just get up and start winging giant punches.

It's easy to forget that Lytle has a decent amateur boxing background, with a fair amount of pro fights, and has been a BJJ black belt for years.  Well, easy to forget until he rolls into a beautiful knee bar.

It was a good event but none of the fights coming out of it really excite me.  Thank god for the Stevenson v George fight, that saved an otherwise fairly boring event though thats mostly because Cain is too beast for Nog to try to handle.  Really though I can't see Sotiroupoulos earning a title shot, you sort of have to assume he needs to go through Maynard to get there and I wouldn't like his chances enough in that fight to get excited for it.  As for Cain, he's amazing but I hate AKA and I really don't care much for heavyweight MMA as a rule.

Feel the same way, though I like the "Cain maturing as a fighter" storyline more.  Really shows how stacked the UFC HW division is getting.

One of the forums I check, people loved this event.  Fuck if I know why.  It was solid but not particularly great.

Edit:

The Diaz/Markham fight and the Almeida/Brown fight are both set to be on the free Spike prelims.   Both should be excellent!  Markham goes for the KO and neglects defense, so this should be dramatic either way.  Brown is a scrapper, and Almeida is a solid to potentially great fighter (win over Marquardt in Pancrase, fought Cote for the title shot at Anderson Silva).

With any luck, the Diaz/Markham fight won't make it out of round 1 and we get a third prelim.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:56:48 PM by Johny Cee »
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: March 04, 2010, 09:53:03 AM

There's been some head-scratching MMA news lately:

It appears that M-1 Global and Strikeforce are having some kind of major disagreement.  Fedor is off the CBS card in April now, but may be on the May Showtime card.  There are some weird rumors, from "Fedor doesn't feel Werdum is worth the effort" to money disagreements.

The CBS card, despite Fedor's match being dropped, is looking really good though:
- King Mo vs. Mousasi, LHW title.  Should be interesting, as Mo is a top prospect, but seems really early in his career to fight a legit LHW in Mousasi.
- Hendo vs. Shields, MW title.  Die, Jake, die.
- Gilbert Melendez vs. Aoki.  Not sure if this is for the LW title or not, but this should be good.  Melendez has been looking strong, and Aoki is a top LW from Japan.

Arlovski just signed with SF, and he's supposed to be fighting Bigfoot Silva either in April or May.
Overeem and Rogers is rumored for the May card.
Some combination of Lawler, Smith, and Jacare should be coming up, as well.

The UFC has a couple of stacked free cards on Versus and Spike later this month, including Jon Jones vs. Vera and Florian vs. Gomi. 

The UFC has also signed retired boxer James Toney to a multifight deal.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: March 04, 2010, 10:47:24 AM

The UFC has a couple of stacked free cards on Versus and Spike later this month, including Jon Jones vs. Vera and Florian vs. Gomi. 

The UFC has also signed retired boxer James Toney to a multifight deal.

The Toney signing is...strange...but I sure as hell like the thought of a Jones vs. Vera fight.  For free!

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: March 04, 2010, 06:12:06 PM

The UFC Live show on Versus, on Sunday March 21st:

Main card:

205 lbs.: Jon Jones vs. Brandon Vera
265 lbs.: Junior Dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
265 lbs.: Cheick Kongo vs. Paul Buentello

Under card:

155 lbs.: Clay Guida vs. Shannon Gugerty
155 lbs.: Spencer Fisher vs. Duane Ludwig
170 lbs.: John Howard vs. Daniel Roberts
205 lbs.: Eliot Marshall vs. Vladimir Matyushenko
185 lbs.: Alessio Sakara vs. James Irvin
265 lbs.: Chase Gormley vs. Brendan Schaub
170 lbs.: Mike Pierce vs. Rob Kimmons
205 lbs.: Eric Schafer vs. Jason Brilz

Main card is siiiick.  Could be Jones coming out party as a top tier fighter.  JDS should add another respectable win to set himself up as a title contender.  Kongo vs Buentello should be fun.  I'd imagine we'll get a couple of the undercard fights as well.

UFC Fight Night: Florian vs Gomi
March 31st, live on Spike

Main card:

155 lbs.: Kenny Florian vs. Takanori Gomi
265 lbs.: Roy Nelson vs. Stefan Struve
185 lbs.: Nate Quarry vs. Jorge Rivera
155 lbs.: Ross Pearson vs. Dennis Siver

Under card:

155 lbs.: Cole Miller vs. Andre Winner
155 lbs.: Gleison Tibau vs. Caol Uno
155 lbs.: Jacob Volkmann vs. Ronnys Torres
185 lbs.: Lucio Linhares vs. Yushin Okami
170 lbs.: Charlie Brenneman vs. Jason High

Solid main card.  Florian vs Gomi should be good.  Nelson/Struve is interesting, as Struve is a good prospect and Roy has massive amounts of experience.  Quarry/Rivera should be entertaining.  Pearson has been getting alot of hype as a LW prospect.

The undercard has some solid fights as well.  Miller has been on a tear, Tibau should kill a fool, etc.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #341 on: March 04, 2010, 07:01:16 PM

Toney is a fat 40+ year old ex-middleweight who's been bumming around the heavyweights for years because he just loves food too much. His last noteworthy victory was a TKO win over the time-ravaged shell of Holyfield back in like 2003. I have no idea what he thinks he'll be doing in MMA.

Maybe someone will be dumb enough to stand up with him. So-called "striker" Tim Sylvia getting one-punched by the almost fifty year old husk of Ray Mercer was pretty hilarious.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: March 05, 2010, 09:34:43 AM

Toney is a fat 40+ year old ex-middleweight who's been bumming around the heavyweights for years because he just loves food too much. His last noteworthy victory was a TKO win over the time-ravaged shell of Holyfield back in like 2003. I have no idea what he thinks he'll be doing in MMA.

It's definitely a PR/spectacle signing.  Probably Toney will kill some brawlers, then get creamed by a few good wrestlers/BJJ guys.  Randy has already asked for this fight, by the way, which would be very bad for Toney as a first fight.

Maybe someone will be dumb enough to stand up with him. So-called "striker" Tim Sylvia getting one-punched by the almost fifty year old husk of Ray Mercer was pretty hilarious.

Everybody loved Sylvia getting creamed.  He basically had huge success because the HW was weak, and he's naturally a giant man without any particular athletic gifts.  I think he came into the Mercer fight bloated up to 320+ lbs.

Randy Couture nearly KOed Sylvia in their match in the first 10 seconds.  At the time, Randy was 44 and never known as a particularly great striker.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #343 on: March 05, 2010, 11:30:06 PM

I'd pick Toney over anyone in MMA in a stand-up fight, but he's way too old and fat and lazy to pick up any serious groundfighting skills. Rumor is he might fight Kimbo. I wouldn't be surprised if Kimbo submits him.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: March 25, 2010, 05:41:00 AM

Nobody going to talk about the Versus event?  I will!

For some reason, that is the first Dos Santos match I've ever seen.  Dang, that guy is dangerous.

Kongo vs Buentello - I guess that was fairly predictable, but I was surprised to see Paul tap out like that.

I've never been much of a Brandon Vera fan, but I'm sure becoming a Jon Jones fan.  He tore through Vera, and then basically broke his damn face.  Wow.  After seeing this and what he did to Hamill (despite the stupid DQ), this guy is going to scare some people.

And of course, a big one coming up this weekend.  Pretty sure I'm going to have to buy it.  It's almost a guarantee that GSP is going to win, but the Carwin vs Mir match is seriously intriguing.  I have no idea how to call that one.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #345 on: March 25, 2010, 11:32:03 AM

Jon Jones' elbows are scary.  He just caved in the side of Vera's face.  Watching that, it looked like a competent BJJ guy might be able to sub him from guard. That's if one of his elbows doesn't destroy their face first.  Initial thoughts are that he'd get the Evans/Rampage loser, which might not be a bad fight for him,  but may test his chin.  Guy is just fun to watch.

Gonzaga looked like a sloth out there against Dos Santos, who looked like a large light heavyweight. Have to wonder how he'd do against some of the behemoths in the division.  They're saying Velasquez may be next for him.  Not sure that's the best way to get the most out of these two guys.

Although Carwin's had a year between fights to work on his game, I'm thinking Mir's going to knock him silly.  He took a lot of solid shots from Gonzaga and was in some trouble before dropping him in a single shot.  You have to think that Mir hits harder than Gonzaga and his chin is probably a bit better.  Plus he's still at the puffed up weight he fought Kongo at.

edit: Going to move this to sports forum. Yah, finally. Shaddup.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:46:49 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: March 25, 2010, 12:03:15 PM

Jon Jones' elbows are scary.  He just caved in the side of Vera's face.  Watching that, it looked like a competent BJJ guy might be able to sub him from guard. That's if one of his elbows doesn't destroy their face first.  Initial thoughts are that he'd get the Evans/Rampage loser, which might not be a bad fight for him,  but may test his chin.  Guy is just fun to watch.

I think Jones trains with Evans...so while it's no certainty, I'm guessing they wouldn't fight each other.  I'd love to see him fight Rampage, though.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #347 on: March 25, 2010, 01:06:45 PM

The Alves v Fitch fight is off due to irregular cat scan on Alves.  Losing that fight would destroy any other card but this one was so good that its still a must buy.  I'm hugely disappointed though that they are moving a local guy fight even if it is Batman onto the main card and not the heavier Nate Diaz debut or the Matt Brown v Almeida fight.

My picks are in this post
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 01:09:18 PM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: March 25, 2010, 08:27:50 PM

On the Versus card:

- JDS is a monster.  He's KOed Gonzaga, Yvel (who was a decent midcarder in Japan), Crocop, Werdum (at the time, Werdum was getting heat as one win from a title shot), and Struve (good young prospect.  The only potential hole in Dos Santos game is his wrestling/TDD and his work off his back, though the fact he's been training with the Nog brothers for years probably means he's alright.

Word right now is he's in line for the title challenge after the winner of Mir/Carwin, then Cain.  He may even be benched just in case to keep a potential challenger open in case of injuries.

- Jon Jones is pretty much the top young prospect in the UFC.  If you can find it, try to watch his first bout with Stephan Bonnar.  Three rounds of exciting domination that includes spinning back elbows, trips, throws, and a suplex.  He's looked amazing taking out four very experienced guys in O'brien (boring wrestler, but still a bunch of UFC wins at HW and LHW), Bonnar, Hammil, and Vera. 

This guy is a BJ Penn/Machida level of prodigy, especially since he's only 22!  And he's already said he might have to move to HW since his frame is still bulking up and he is finding the cut to LHW more and more difficult.

Most of the rumors seem to point to Jones getting either Lil Nog or Forrest after their fight.  I think we'll see a slow buildup to a title shot in a year for him.  I think the UFC will want to make him a poster boy, and it gives them time to sort out the Machida/Shogun/Rampage/winner of Forrest & Lil Nog situation.

- Kongo schooled Buentello.  Slightly dirty, but all of Kongo's fights are slightly dirty.  Kongo and Gonzaga make great gatekeepers for the top level of HW fighter.  I think Buentello will get another shot, but he's going to be moved down to fighting UFC newcomers like Hardonk.

The card this weekend:
- Ben Saunders has replaced Alves so Fitch has an opponent.  I was looking forward to Ellenburger/Saunders, too.
- I'm really not excited for the Pellegrino fight.
- At this point, I hope GSP murders Hardy in the ring.  Hardy better hope he flukes out and wins, too....  the other AKA boys are looking to avenge Swick's loss.  Fitch would maul him, though he has a chance if the Koscheck that brawls shows up.

There has been some noise that BJ will make the move up to WW again, full time, since he will have pretty much cleaned out LW after the Edgar fight.  Really, the only fights that look interesting there would be Gomi (if Gomi dominates Kenny) or Maynard (who is on a 7 fight streak).  If he makes the jump, it won't be an instant title fight situation and will probably be situational on GSP moving to MW.

BJ vs. any combination of Thiago/Alves/Fitch/Koscheck/etc would all be interesting fights.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #349 on: March 28, 2010, 09:49:25 AM

The night wasn't that great fight wise and sure wasn't surprising.  The prelims became a saving grace of the event Diaz beasted and you have to tip your hat to Big Dog for his win, I totally did not see that coming though Vegas did (+130 for Brown).  If they stick Nate Diaz on the undercard again its going to be painfully obvious that UFC just doesn't like him.

GSP is done, the division is cleaned out, unless the two potential challengers can prove themselves.  There is nobody left in the UFC (or outside of it, I don't think Nick Diaz has been working hard enough) who is good enough right now to fight GSP and not been seen as being thrown to a wolf.  Paulo Thiago needs to win one more fight and Paul Daley needs to be actually put in danger in a fight before either of them should be given a shot.

If the winner of Koscheck v Daley (UFC 113 in May) is the next contender then once GSP wins that fight its really over.  Doubly so if Kampmann beats Paulo (UFC 115).  Either way though this all means we probably only see GSP twice in 2010 and we'll still be completely out of compelling fights.

My biggest hope is that Thiago Alves' brain is ok and he takes that loss and runs with it improving by big leaps and then maybe I could get excited for a rematch.  There isn't much reason to imagine Paul Daley v GSP would go any different than the fight last night, Daley is even stronger and scarier but what makes anyone think he'll get to hit GSP?

I feel really bad for Frank Mir but honestly he needed a better plan, the clinch was not where he wanted to be with that fucking monster.  The Carwin v Lesnar fight is really almost disturbing, they are both such giant meat head animals.

-William Gibson
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA  
Jump to: