Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:24:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MMA  (Read 265580 times)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: November 22, 2009, 09:21:16 AM

UFC 106 overall was a great card.

- Amir and Phil Baroni was entertaining.  Baroni came out hard and gassed, and then Amir teed off on him for 2 rounds with a bunch of unorthodox strikes.
- Lil Nog destroyed Cane.  Lil Nog had one of the most intimidating corners you can imagine, what with Big Nog and Anderson Silva there.
- Ben Foster was an animal, despite getting fouled twice.
- Koscheck/Johnson had the weird eyepokes and illegal shots, but a satisfying ending.
- Saunders demolished Marcus Davis with brutal knees.
- Tito/Forrest was a solid fight with lots of back and forth until the third, where Forrest took it to him hard.
- Even the Paulo Thiago vs. new_guy fight was pretty decent.  Some good back and forth grappling.

Tito needs to learn to keep his giant mouth shut.  Cracked skull?  Really?
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: November 24, 2009, 02:32:17 AM

Good on Forrest, Tito's career is pretty much over now. My dislike of Koscheck grows each time I see that douche.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #282 on: November 25, 2009, 01:44:57 PM

UFC 106 overall was a great card.

- Amir and Phil Baroni was entertaining.  Baroni came out hard and gassed, and then Amir teed off on him for 2 rounds with a bunch of unorthodox strikes.
- Lil Nog destroyed Cane.  Lil Nog had one of the most intimidating corners you can imagine, what with Big Nog and Anderson Silva there.
- Ben Foster was an animal, despite getting fouled twice.
- Koscheck/Johnson had the weird eyepokes and illegal shots, but a satisfying ending.
- Saunders demolished Marcus Davis with brutal knees.
- Tito/Forrest was a solid fight with lots of back and forth until the third, where Forrest took it to him hard.
- Even the Paulo Thiago vs. new_guy fight was pretty decent.  Some good back and forth grappling.

Tito needs to learn to keep his giant mouth shut.  Cracked skull?  Really?

That was satisfying to you?  I hated that card. ESPECIALLY Koscheck pulling some shit out of his ass w/ that OMG my eye that didn't get touched shit.  Then poking him in the eye twice, one of which didn't look accidental at all.  Little Nog was scary, but Cane may just be another Thiago Silva which is dissapointing, I was high on both guys until they got taken apart.

I liked seeing the Aussie win, he's such a cool old guy.  Saunders knees are vicious but we'll see if he is learning fast enough, he's going to earn himself some very tough fights quickly.

The Baroni fight was so lame, why did they even bring him back, iare they having that much of a hard time filling all these shitty cards?  

I will say that the undercard bailed them out big time, it had some good fights and interesting matchups, but the main card just had 2 destructions (Saunders and Little Nog) no enjoyable fights.

*edit missing f, the computer labs at my school don't like this forum*
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 06:03:50 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: November 25, 2009, 02:35:17 PM

So Shane McMahon (son of WWE Vince McMahon) recently quit the WWE.  He's now in talks with UFC to buy an interest in the company.  Personally I think this is a great idea.  Shane could help alot with the marketing of UFC. 
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: November 26, 2009, 09:06:51 PM

That was satisfying to you?  I hated that card. ESPECIALLY Koscheck pulling some shit out of his ass w/ that OMG my eye that didn't get touched shit.  Then poking him in the eye twice, one of which didn't look accidental at all.  Little Nog was scary, but Cane may just be another Thiago Silva which is dissapointing, I was high on both guys until they got taken apart.

Koscheck was poked in the eye.  Johnson got him in the left eye with his thumb right before the giant illegal knee.  There are actually stills of it floating around since people were grumbling about Koscheck's acting.  I didn't see the eye poke by Johnson either at the time, but that was a blatantly illegal knee.  Josh would have gotten 5 minutes to recover anyway.

For Koscheck, that was a solid finish on a much hyped up and comer.  More than likely, that fight alone will set up for number one contender status after Hardy/GSP.

Cane has three solid wins in the UFC:  Cantwell, Sokoudjo, and Lambert.  Looked like a wrecking machine in each fight.  The only loss on his record before Nog tooled him was the DQ loss in the Irvin fight.  Cane is a solid up and comer.  I agree that he might have been getting too much hype now, but in three or four years he should be in the thick of the top of the division.

Thiago Silva is another young fighter who has a huge amount of potential.  He was way overhyped, especially since his wins were over less impressive fighters,  though the dominant win over Jardine after the Machida fight was good for him.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: November 27, 2009, 12:05:32 PM

So I'm looking at the UFC 107 card, and find that I'm more psyched by the KenFlo/Guida match than either Penn or Mir.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: November 27, 2009, 04:02:12 PM

Random question. Any reason this is not in the sports forum?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #287 on: November 28, 2009, 07:03:34 PM

Because you didn't use the magic word.

-Rasix
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: December 11, 2009, 12:26:19 PM

Pretty good card coming up, I may have to buy it.  Penn is probably my favorite fighter, and I also like Diego and his craziness...I don't think Diego has the power to take out BJ (which may be wrong, considering he used to be a middleweight) and BJ certainly has the better ground game.

Mir and Kongo looks fun, and I'd look to see Mir finish it on the ground.

Florian and Guida - don't even care who wins, Guida's fights are always fun to watch.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: December 11, 2009, 01:16:26 PM

Pretty good card coming up, I may have to buy it.  Penn is probably my favorite fighter, and I also like Diego and his craziness...I don't think Diego has the power to take out BJ (which may be wrong, considering he used to be a middleweight) and BJ certainly has the better ground game.

Mir and Kongo looks fun, and I'd look to see Mir finish it on the ground.

Florian and Guida - don't even care who wins, Guida's fights are always fun to watch.

Looks like a great card.

Also:
Return of Paul Buentello vs. Stefan Struve (the giant skinny Euro guy)
Belcher vs. Gouveia

Matt Wiman, Rousimar Palharras, and Jon Fitch are also on the card.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #290 on: December 11, 2009, 03:05:55 PM

Its really an ok card to me, better then alot of the cards UFC has done lately.

Here are my picks and thoughts.

Penn v Sanchez -- Penn
I'm rooting for Diego I've been a fan of his for a long time and he's obviously the underdog.  There is no area where Diego is better except take down execution and that is meaningless against BJ 95% of the time.  So I just can't see a way for him to win this fight besides out working him for 3+ rounds and BJ wearing out to the point where he becomes human.

Mir v Kongo -- Mir
Who cares about this fight?  I liked Mir until he got his face raped by Lesnar, he's a smart fighter but he's also one of those guys that mean nothing until they make a 235 pound division.  Kongo is a gatekeeper with a poor overall game.  I don't get what the matchmaker is thinking with this one.

Fitch v Pierce -- Fitch
This is only happening because 2 better opponents got hurt, I'll be pulling for Pierce because I hate all those AKA guys, fuck them but Fitch is just so damn good I can't see him losing to some new guy who has never fought someone at this level.

Florian v Guida -- Florian
Guida doesn't fight very smart, Florian will fight to outpoint him.  Guida needs to get on top to win, Florian is hella dangerous of his back with elbows and submissions.  This fight could be fun but again I don't get the match making.  I'd rather see both of these guys fighting young rising stars.

Buentello v Struve -- I don't know enough about Struve to make a call on this.  I don't remember his last 3 fights even though I think I saw them all.
This is a real, who gives a fuck why is this on the maincard type of fight for me.  Buentello shouldn't even be in the UFC.

Belcher v Gouveia -- Gouveia
NOW THIS is a fight with seemingly no title implications but at least its quite balanced and hard to call.  I mean Wilson has looked much better in his last 4 fights and Belcher's should have been a win versus Akiyama and win over a pathetic Kang mean nothing to me.  On the flip side I think Belcher has the power to put Gouveia to sleep and that is a big threat.  I'm usually too high on Brazilian fighters but I'd still pick Gouveia if forced to.

Wiman v Nelson -- Wiman
I'm a huge Wiman fan and I think Nelson sucks so this is a no brainer.  If Wiman has been improving during this camp he should get this victory no problem.  He's had some really erratic performances though so you never know.

The rest of the card looks interesting, a bunch of first timers against people who have limited exposure but who have impressed during those limited windows.  I wish I could pay to see the under card + title fight instead.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: December 12, 2009, 12:22:52 PM

Its really an ok card to me, better then alot of the cards UFC has done lately.

Here are my picks and thoughts.

Penn v Sanchez -- Penn
I'm rooting for Diego I've been a fan of his for a long time and he's obviously the underdog.  There is no area where Diego is better except take down execution and that is meaningless against BJ 95% of the time.  So I just can't see a way for him to win this fight besides out working him for 3+ rounds and BJ wearing out to the point where he becomes human.

I find every one of BJs fights to be fun to watch.  The fact that he's the kind of freakishly gifted talent that comes along once in every great while adds to that.  Diego is a high energy fighter that will go for the kill.  Decent submission game, great chin, good wrestling, and good striking. 

I think Diego eats BJs jab for a couple rounds, until Penn decides it's time to finish him.

Mir v Kongo -- Mir
Who cares about this fight?  I liked Mir until he got his face raped by Lesnar, he's a smart fighter but he's also one of those guys that mean nothing until they make a 235 pound division.  Kongo is a gatekeeper with a poor overall game.  I don't get what the matchmaker is thinking with this one.

Kongo is a solid midcarder with a lacking ground game.  It's solid matchmaking to build Mir up for a fight against one of the top tier guys in the division after Lesner ate his lunch. 

A Mir win sets him up to fight Velasquez (who I think Mir can beat), a rematch with a healthy Nog (Nog was riddled with a staph infection last fight), or a guy like Junior Dos Santos (who is a small HW, but has world class kickbocking).

Fitch v Pierce -- Fitch
This is only happening because 2 better opponents got hurt, I'll be pulling for Pierce because I hate all those AKA guys, fuck them but Fitch is just so damn good I can't see him losing to some new guy who has never fought someone at this level.

Yah, injuries killed this bout.  Fitch is probably the best WW not named GSP, and this is another tune up fight to get Fitch ready for the rematch.

Florian v Guida -- Florian
Guida doesn't fight very smart, Florian will fight to outpoint him.  Guida needs to get on top to win, Florian is hella dangerous of his back with elbows and submissions.  This fight could be fun but again I don't get the match making.  I'd rather see both of these guys fighting young rising stars.

I like Kenny when he isn't fighting...  He does a decent job as an announcer and color personality.  I dislike him as a fighter.  I think Clay will keep this an active fight.

There's just something you gotta love about the heart and enthusiasm of Clay Guida. 

Buentello v Struve -- I don't know enough about Struve to make a call on this.  I don't remember his last 3 fights even though I think I saw them all.
This is a real, who gives a fuck why is this on the maincard type of fight for me.  Buentello shouldn't even be in the UFC.

How can you not remember Struve?  He's a 6'10" skinny guy!  Struve is a submissions guy, Buentello a brawler.  Buentello isn't a top HW, but he's another solid midcarder addition to the likes of Gonzaga and Kongo.

This fight is up in the air.  Either Struve pulls out a wicked sub, or Buentello knocks his head off.

Belcher v Gouveia -- Gouveia
NOW THIS is a fight with seemingly no title implications but at least its quite balanced and hard to call.  I mean Wilson has looked much better in his last 4 fights and Belcher's should have been a win versus Akiyama and win over a pathetic Kang mean nothing to me.  On the flip side I think Belcher has the power to put Gouveia to sleep and that is a big threat.  I'm usually too high on Brazilian fighters but I'd still pick Gouveia if forced to.

Both these dudes are young, pretty talented, but massively erratic.  Belcher beat Jorge Santiago (who has been in and out of the top 10 at MW), Kang (who was a top 10 fighter at the time), and should have beaten Sexyama (who is barely in the top 10 now).  On the other hand, he's dropped awful losses to the likes of Kalib Starnes and Kendall Grove.

Gouveia has had a pretty good run in the UFC.  Except for the Marquardt bout, his losses have been competitive.  The Marquardt fight was the one where Nate pulled out the fucking video game combo finish on him.

His wins are usually pretty impressive.  There were websites putting Gouveia in the top 10 right before the Reljic loss at LHW... 

Both Belcher and Gouveia are guys that could be great fighters, if they can put together the last couple pieces of their fight games.

Wiman v Nelson -- Wiman
I'm a huge Wiman fan and I think Nelson sucks so this is a no brainer.  If Wiman has been improving during this camp he should get this victory no problem.  He's had some really erratic performances though so you never know.

The rest of the card looks interesting, a bunch of first timers against people who have limited exposure but who have impressed during those limited windows.  I wish I could pay to see the under card + title fight instead.

I like Wiman.  Before one of the Miller brothers ate his lunch, he was looking like a world beater.  Palhares is another guy to watch....  he's supposed to be an amazing BJJ phenom, and had some solid wins before Hendo decisioned him.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: December 12, 2009, 05:39:51 PM

I like Mir. After his motorcycle accident he was a total zombie in the ring, his comeback from that has been amazing. And he has a fairly unique fight style for a heavyweight in the UFC.

Guida is awesome. He's lost his last 3 or 4 fights but each was close. He definitely fights dumb sometimes, with some proper coaching he would be a hell of a lot better considering he's apparently made out of some rubber/iron combination.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: December 12, 2009, 10:28:31 PM

Mir came in at 264.5 lbs, and looked far more cut than at any time in the past.  Made short work of Kongo.  Mir is obviously stepping up his workout regime to get ready for Lesner, Carwin, and the rest of the giants.

Struve is a solid HW prospect.  He's 6'10", looks rail thin but still weighs in above 240, moves pretty well for a big guy, and he's only 22.  Depending on how his training comes along, and how he fills out, he could be a monster in a couple years.

BJ Penn is just a frightening fighter at LW.  He took Diego apart.  The early rumbling is that the UFC will try to bribe away one of the Dream/Japanese lightweights to give him a fresh face to maul fight.  Other than that, Gray Maynard is probably the next contender if he has an impressive performance against Nate Diaz...

Maynard would honestly be a pretty good fight.  Great wrestler, large for the weight class, improved striking.  Maynard has said in the past, though, that BJ is a friend and he would never fight Penn.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: December 12, 2009, 11:57:46 PM

I like when Diego is all "this is going to be war - CRAAAZY FACE!!" and then becomes tentative when he runs into someone better. (Penn, Koscheck)

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #295 on: December 13, 2009, 08:49:10 AM

Got all my picks right except Gouveia, which I should have stayed away from because a) he's a lazy piece of shit and b) it was fucking catch weight.

How boring though because I don't think any underdogs accomplished anything.  The only real "don't miss this" moment was that idiot in the undercard getting all hyped then knocked on his ass and then fucking dude up w/ the upkick to triangle.

-William Gibson
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: December 13, 2009, 02:39:11 PM

I like when Diego is all "this is going to be war - CRAAAZY FACE!!" and then becomes tentative when he runs into someone better. (Penn, Koscheck)

Well he did almost get knocked out in the first 15 seconds. Rather impressive how fresh BJ was after the 5 round ass stomping he was dealing out. He wasn't even winded.

http://www.fightmetric.com/fights/Penn-Sanchez.html
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: December 14, 2009, 06:24:08 AM

I about fell off the sofa when BJ threw that leg kick.  Fucking cracked him and ripped him open!  I can't even remember seeing him ever throw one before.  He was just showing off at that point.  Amazing.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: December 19, 2009, 11:18:17 AM

There's actually a pretty good Strikeforce card on Showtime tonight:

Strikeforce: Evolution

* Middleweight bout: Cung Le vs. Scott Smith
    * Lightweight Championship bout: Josh Thomson (c) vs.  Gilbert Melendez (ic)
    * Middleweight bout: Ronaldo Souza vs.  Matt Lindland
    * Heavyweight bout: Muhammed Lawal vs.  Mike Whitehead

Cung Le makes his return from movies.  I'm not sure how good Cung Le is, but he can really destroy brawlers and definitely puts on exciting shows.  Scott Smith is Scott Smith...  a mediocre brawler who is sure to stand with Cung and get kicked to death.

Thomson and Melendez are both decent fighters who should put on an interesting and high speed fight.

Lindland was considered the top MW in the world for a while, before Anderson Silva really got started wrecking fools.  Has quite a few losses in recent years, but those were all waaaay above his natural weightclass except for Belfort demolishing him.  Shit, he took Rampage to a close decision and did alright against Fedor which is pretty impressive.

Whitehead is a scrub.  Lawal, or King Mo, is considered a hot LHW prospect.  This is a tune up fight for him to set up the title match with Gegard Mousasi, probably.

There's also WEC show tonight, I think. 
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #299 on: December 19, 2009, 12:59:21 PM

Call him Jacare, I had no idea who Souza was.

I'm excited to see Jacare and Lawal put on big shows, dominate lame opposition and hopefully get the ufc's attention.

-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: December 19, 2009, 01:20:03 PM

Call him Jacare, I had no idea who Souza was.

I'm excited to see Jacare and Lawal put on big shows, dominate lame opposition and hopefully get the ufc's attention.

I don't think I had actually ever heard of Jacare before I looked up the show.  Somehow.  A few of the online sites have him as the favorite.  Seems to have a decent sized hype train.

Honestly, for me, this card is worlds better than the usual Strikeforce showing.  I just don't give a shit about Nick Diaz (Captain inconsistent), Jake Sheilds (zzzzzzzz), or Frank Shamrock (washed up).  Lawler is alright, but he's obviously a B fighter.  Here we have a couple of intriguing matchups and future contenders.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: December 20, 2009, 01:52:09 PM

I like to bag on Strikeforce, but that event last night was really good.  Good fights, camera work is much improved, production was better.

Melendez and Thomson is a Fight of the Year candidate.  Great 5 round fight, with some good back and forth.  Melendez on his feet looked like he's been watching alot of BJ Penn tape.  Thomson had a couple good rounds, but got sucked into throwing down at point blank range with Melendez in the second and got caught by the heavier handed fighter.  Never looked the same the last three rounds.

Cung Le vs. Scott Smith was a tribute to Le's mad kicking skills and Smith's endurance and heart.  Cung knocked Smith down over and over with wild kicks (including a spinning back heel kick...  it was awesome), while Smith just got up and continued to fight.  In the third, Cung gassed a bit and Smith connected with a short punch inside.

All she wrote.  Smith is literally Homer from that episode of the Simpson's where Homer becomes a boxer.

Jacare schooled Lindland, who is looking increasingly washed up.  Great win to establish Jacare in the division.  I didn't realize Lindland is 39.

Honestly, it looks like Jake Shields' days are numbered as Middleweight Champ.  Both Hendo and Jacare should pound the shit out of him, as they have better ground/grappling  games than the one dimensional Shields.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #302 on: December 20, 2009, 03:09:35 PM

You have to realize that Jacare should have been the grand prix winner in Dream, he's a sick submission guy.

-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: December 20, 2009, 05:44:06 PM

You have to realize that Jacare should have been the grand prix winner in Dream, he's a sick submission guy.

Dream is the one major org I just don't know much about.  I know they have some good MWs and LWs, and they have a talent sharing agreement in place with Strikeforce...  Is that the org that broadcasts in the US on HDnet?  I don't think I even get that channel.

I wonder, in the long run, how the talent sharing agreement will treat Strikeforce.  So far, it seems like its sucked some of the bigger name guys from SF over to fight in Japan more like Overeem and Babalu.

Early word is the CBS card is going to have Fedor vs Werdum, which should be an interesting match.  Of course, Fedor will maul Werdum who has mediocre standup and is a slow starter.  Overeem is still recovering from the hand infection he received last summer, after beating up 5 bouncers in a club in Amsterdam.  Hendo is set, but no word of an opponent yet.  A match against Jake Sheilds would be good. 
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: December 20, 2009, 07:25:18 PM

Yeah that was a pretty good event overall. The one kick from Le that slammed Smith into the cage was awesome, unfortunately even in the second round Cung was noticeably slowing.

Pretty good fights all around with a variety of lengths and finishes.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #305 on: January 05, 2010, 06:54:35 PM

Dream is the one international org you should follow the fight quality isn't all there but the grand prix fights are good and the spectacle is quite fun.

Did anyone see UFC 108?  Fucked up card due to injuries and also a  bunch of really screwy fights.  The main event was a mess.  Semtex is a fucking beast, if we see him stuff a good wrestler then I want to see him versus GSP once the garbage brit who doesn't deserve the title shot gets his ass kicked.  Nothing else of consequence happened.  Dos Santos looked good, Kampman will make a decent gatekeeper for 170 I suppose, I'd like to see him against the AKA guys but it doesn't look like he's title shot material.

-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: January 05, 2010, 08:19:17 PM

Dream is the one international org you should follow the fight quality isn't all there but the grand prix fights are good and the spectacle is quite fun.

Did anyone see UFC 108?  Fucked up card due to injuries and also a  bunch of really screwy fights.  The main event was a mess.  Semtex is a fucking beast, if we see him stuff a good wrestler then I want to see him versus GSP once the garbage brit who doesn't deserve the title shot gets his ass kicked.  Nothing else of consequence happened.  Dos Santos looked good, Kampman will make a decent gatekeeper for 170 I suppose, I'd like to see him against the AKA guys but it doesn't look like he's title shot material.

I caught it, though I was going to pass on the card till my weekend plans fell through.  Really a pretty decent card.  The next UFC PPV, despite having the battle of the geriatrics, has a very intriguing undercard:  Marquardt/Sonnen, Swick/Paulo Thiago, Maia/Miller, and Serra/Trigg all look like they could be entertaining.  Also a Gracie on the undercard.

Unfortunately, GSP is talking about relinquishing his belt to go to wrestling full-time in a bid to make the Canadian Olympic Team... 
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #307 on: January 06, 2010, 08:26:14 AM

If the Evans v Silva fight brings us two better fighters it was all worth it.  Thiago needs to diversify his game and improve his cardio.  Rashad needs to learn how to do something with a takedown, he wasn't even employing effective ground and pound.  You have to imagine that Rashad is thinking if he can take Rampage down at will that he has that fight won, but its going to be boring as shit if he can't pound him out or sub him.  If the vegas line is close though thanks to Silva tagging him at the end I may have to throw down on that fight because I doubt Rampage will have a good focused camp and come up with a strategy to stop a wrestle first Rashad.

I hope the UFC gives Thiago Little Nog next not Cane, even Forrest Griffin would be better.  Cane will let him fight and win in his comfort zone and frankly after the Rua rematch if Machida wins there isn't anyone deserving of a shot unless Anderson Silva decides he wants to get paid.

I'm more excited for the upcoming Fight Night then UFC 109, if Maynard wins his match with Diaz which I suspect he will then he gets BJ and that fight has some potential.

The 109 fights you listed:
Marquardt v Sonnen, I don't see Sonnen having any chance if he wins that is amazing and I guess I know nothing.
Swick v Thiago, we've seen this fight several times before the AKA guys are masters of gameplanning on how to out point a fighter who has beaten one of them.  Swick is going to be fighting for a decision win the whole way.
Maia v Miller, this has the most potential but I could see Miller just being too tough and violent for Maia.

-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: January 11, 2010, 09:22:23 AM

UFN 21 tonight....  just remembered.  Free on Spike at 9 PM.

Think the main card is:

Gray Maynard (No. 6 LW) vs. Nate Diaz
Efrain Escudero vs. Evan Dunham
Aaron Simpson vs. Tom Lawlor
Amir Sadollah vs. Brad Blackburn
Chris Leben vs. Jay Silva

It should actually be a decent card.  The Maynard/Diaz match might turn into a hug fest, but if Maynard wins convincingly he can guarantee a shot at the LW title.

Diaz has shown a weakness to good wrestlers not dumb enough to sit in his guard and try to GnP him.  He has limited sweeps, and largely just throws up triangles and goes for kimuras.

Efrain is a high energy fighter.  Sadollah/Blackburn should be an interesting fight.  Leben is a brawler.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #309 on: January 13, 2010, 10:15:02 AM

It was enjoyable, but another fight that should have been called a draw rather then a bullshit who knows why split decision.  Also how Lawlor didn't get a 10-8 on that first round is beyond me.

-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: January 13, 2010, 08:32:09 PM

It was enjoyable, but another fight that should have been called a draw rather then a bullshit who knows why split decision.  Also how Lawlor didn't get a 10-8 on that first round is beyond me.

The biggest problem with MMA scoring is judges are really averse to giving a 10-8, and almost never give a 10-7, round.  The only 10-7 I can remember is, I think, the Quarry/Starnes fight where Starnes ran from Quarry for 3 rounds while putting out zero offense.

Lawlor should have had a 10-8 first round.  He had Simpson on jelly legs for most of that round, and I'm not sure how Simpson survived.  The second seemed to be close, with Simpson coming on strong in the third.  Not a terrible decision.

The Diaz/Maynard fight was just odd, and really depends on how you personally score things.  Maynard landed lots of power shots, and defended well.  Diaz connected with more shots but had little steam on them, or the shots were blocked/slipped.

I've seen people scoring it on points (basically just how many times connected) and giving it to Diaz all three rounds.  The only round I thought went decisively to one fighter was Maynard in the second,  but I've seen people score that round for Diaz based on times connected.

If Maynard had stopped being an idiot and just grabbed a takedown near the end of every round he would have walked away with a much more convincing win.

Maynard successfully gave Edgar the next title shot, supposedly in April on a card in Abu Dhabi.  Edgar is going to get wrecked. 

Diaz has made noises about moving up a weight class, which actually might be a really good thing.  Nick looks alot better at a higher weightclass, and I think Nate will too if he uses it as a chance to put on some muscle.  Both the Diaz boys don't have frames for 160/155. 

They are still smack talking jackasses though.

Spike is premiering a "Best of Pride" show on Friday, which should be fun.  Same setup as Unleashed, but all the old Pride fights.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: January 28, 2010, 05:41:30 PM

Strikeforce card this weekend!

Strikeforce: Miami
Saturday, January 30th, 10PM on Showtime

170 lbs. (WW championship): Nick Diaz vs. Marius Zaromskis
145 lbs. (Women's LW championship): Cristiane Santos vs. Marloes Coenen
185 lbs.: Melvin Manhoef vs. Robbie Lawler
205 lbs.: Herschel Walker vs. Greg Nagy
265 lbs.: Bobby Lashley vs. Wes Simms

A couple of engaging fights, a couple of stompings, and a freakshow fight:
- Zaromskis is supposed to be a solid fighter, so will be interesting to see if Nate pisses away another shot at a major belt. 
- Cyborg will stomp a fool.
- Manhoef and Lawler should be good.  Heard of Manhoef, but I've never seen him in action.
- Herschel Walker will try to beat up a can. 
- Lashley makes his SF debut against Wes Simms, recently of the last season of TUF.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #312 on: January 28, 2010, 08:38:54 PM

Yeah its a typical Strikeforce card, should make great tv but as someone who watches a ton of mma I could never pay for it, its just too trashy.

-William Gibson
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: January 31, 2010, 12:26:31 AM

Strikeforce was a pretty terrible event from start to finish.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: January 31, 2010, 10:22:33 AM

Strikeforce was a pretty terrible event from start to finish.

It was a typical SF card.  A bunch of bad match-ups and guys more concerned with putting on a spectacle than fighting a technical fight.

Don't get me wrong, a fun brawl is a good way to start an event and warm up the crowd.  I just don't want to see the guys who are supposed to be the talent going out and flurrying punches with no defense.

Lawler and Diaz won, but in a way that opens up questions on their skills.  Both were in serious trouble in their matches.  Lawler was getting picked apart before getting off the Hail Mary punch.  Diaz looked like he was done when he got dropped, but pulled it out against a guy who was looking sloppy as hell.

Herschel Walker fought a guy with two professional bouts. 

Lashley fought a guy who:
1. Isn't very good.
2. Looked like he's been sitting around eating ice cream since TUF 10.
3. And took the fight on a week's notice.

Cyborg's opponent wasn't bad, but it's obvious she is a 135 lber and it's obvious that Cyborg has to cut weight to make 45.  Cyborg was huge compared to her.

The April CBS card should be pretty damn solid, though.  Fedor/Werdum, Hendo/Shields, and probably some combination of Lashley (hopefully against a decent opponent), Mousasi, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA  
Jump to: