Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:03:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2008-2009 Pregame Talk/News 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2008-2009 Pregame Talk/News  (Read 25892 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #35 on: August 12, 2008, 02:31:13 PM

Well, the NFC West is and will continue to be awful, so Seattle will take that one easily again. I think the NFC South will surprise a lot of people this year, with the Bucs and Panthers both contending for playoff spots. I'd say the Panthers probably win that division. The NFC North will have a solid battle between the Vikings and the Bears, but unless the Bears solve the QB issues early, they won't make it. Green Bay isn't going to do well this year with the new QB, and Detroit always has problems.

This leaves us the NFC East, which is the strongest again. I think the Eagles will rebound and have a much better season this year, getting a wildcard spot. I think the Giants will falter because of their defensive problems against the run, and their average secondary. I think the Redskins have an outside shot, but I don't count on them pulling out the 3 very close wins they had last year again. Dallas is obviously the frontrunner in my book and will win again.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: August 12, 2008, 04:15:31 PM

Well, the NFC West is and will continue to be awful, so Seattle will take that one easily again.

Doesn't look to change any time either as my 49ers have unofficially chosen J.T. O'Sulivan as the starting quarterback.  I think the coaching staff is just going through the motions of the year and expect to get fired at the end.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 12, 2008, 04:27:45 PM

I don't mean the Giants didn't earn it. You can still earn it and be a fluke team. The Bucs in 2002-03 are a good example. They went 12-4 and win the Super Bowl, then can't even finish better than 3rd in their division in the next two seasons. In the past few years they've been knocked out in the wildcard games when they made it to the playoffs. They were a fluke. They aren't going to win the Super Bowl again anytime soon.

Paelos, it's flame time. I let your TE/WR stuff slide, but it's time to go.

It's like I focus on the Yankees during the 80s and conclude that they suck goat balls as a franchise. The Bucs went to the playoffs every year for four or five years straight before they won the Super Bowl. I'm sorry that you are a master at taking things out of context, but really, your post is full of dumbfuckery. Perhaps you should remember the Bucs last year lost to the EVENTUAL SUPER BOWL CHAMPION.

Also, you forget that the Bucs have great running backs and an amazing offensive line. The QB is solid, and their receiver core is pretty good. Clayton has underperformed the last few seasons, but Hilliard and Galloway are pretty damn good. Joey might be older than my grandma, but he still runs fast as hell.  Also, the defense was among the top 5 in the NFL last year. I'm sorry TB isn't the greatest football market, but our football team is good. I know we're not the Pats and we don't get huge media coverage, but really, do some fucking reading before you unload your crocks of shit around here.

I'm done. I just had to get that off my chest.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #38 on: August 12, 2008, 04:52:36 PM

The only thing I find strange is that the Giants played better when Shockey was out. Maybe that was the difference....even if he is their best player.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 12, 2008, 04:53:12 PM

Kevin Boss is really good, don't forget that. You'll know him by the end of the season, for sure.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #40 on: August 12, 2008, 06:11:25 PM

I doubt I'll remember him. I'll be paying too much attention to Witten, sorry.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 12, 2008, 06:38:52 PM

No doubt, but the point I'm making is that the Giants really didn't lose much by losing Shockey, imo.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #42 on: August 13, 2008, 06:38:55 AM

I don't mean the Giants didn't earn it. You can still earn it and be a fluke team. The Bucs in 2002-03 are a good example. They went 12-4 and win the Super Bowl, then can't even finish better than 3rd in their division in the next two seasons. In the past few years they've been knocked out in the wildcard games when they made it to the playoffs. They were a fluke. They aren't going to win the Super Bowl again anytime soon.

Paelos, it's flame time. I let your TE/WR stuff slide, but it's time to go.

It's like I focus on the Yankees during the 80s and conclude that they suck goat balls as a franchise. The Bucs went to the playoffs every year for four or five years straight before they won the Super Bowl. I'm sorry that you are a master at taking things out of context, but really, your post is full of dumbfuckery. Perhaps you should remember the Bucs last year lost to the EVENTUAL SUPER BOWL CHAMPION.

Also, you forget that the Bucs have great running backs and an amazing offensive line. The QB is solid, and their receiver core is pretty good. Clayton has underperformed the last few seasons, but Hilliard and Galloway are pretty damn good. Joey might be older than my grandma, but he still runs fast as hell.  Also, the defense was among the top 5 in the NFL last year. I'm sorry TB isn't the greatest football market, but our football team is good. I know we're not the Pats and we don't get huge media coverage, but really, do some fucking reading before you unload your crocks of shit around here.

I'm done. I just had to get that off my chest.

What? I'm not saying your football team sucks. I'm saying them winning a Super Bowl and then crashing and burning over the next five seasons made that one Super Bowl win a fluke. I'm sorry you're in Tampa Bay and get no real coverage, but your division mostly sucks ass. That doesn't mean you still won't probably win the damn thing. Who's going to stop you? Atlanta? Not likely. Carolina? Perhaps, but I'm not 100% sold on that program. The Saints? Always an emotional favorite, but they don't really have the 16 game staying power to win.

The Bucs can roam freely in that type of division, similar to the West, until conditions improve. I fully expect them to make the playoffs. I also fully expect them to lose early.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 13, 2008, 07:56:07 AM

Well, the NFC West is and will continue to be awful, so Seattle will take that one easily again. I think the NFC South will surprise a lot of people this year, with the Bucs and Panthers both contending for playoff spots. I'd say the Panthers probably win that division. The NFC North will have a solid battle between the Vikings and the Bears, but unless the Bears solve the QB issues early, they won't make it. Green Bay isn't going to do well this year with the new QB, and Detroit always has problems.

This leaves us the NFC East, which is the strongest again. I think the Eagles will rebound and have a much better season this year, getting a wildcard spot. I think the Giants will falter because of their defensive problems against the run, and their average secondary. I think the Redskins have an outside shot, but I don't count on them pulling out the 3 very close wins they had last year again. Dallas is obviously the frontrunner in my book and will win again.

What team do you root for?  Maybe if I knew that it would help me place your perspective.

Anyway, the only assessment I agree with is the West.  The panthers are not the team to watch in the south, their QB is coming of Tommy John surgery and their #1 WR threat is out for the 1st two games.  The teams to watch in the South are the Bucs and the Saints.  I would say the Saints win it because the Bucs only WR is 55 and if Garcia makes it through the season he'll be lucky.

In the North, the Pack will take it only because their defense is pretty damn good. I would say top 3 in the NFC easily, but the Vikings are close, but call me when they get a real QB and WR (No Berrian is not a good #1). 

In the East, I agree the Cowboys are still paper champs.  I would pick them to win the division also.  However I think the Eagles arn't going anywhere without any WRs to note.  The Skins are shaky due to a new coaching staff.  Lets see how they play in real games.  We have no idea how that staff will operate in a real game environment, but they have a decent squad, but their only problem is that they have no depth.  Their D-Line is shallow, their secondary is a mixture of old and young players, more old than young though, and they're still waiting for McIntosh to show up.

The Giants still have a consistent squad from the last few years.  If you can give me a few reasons that the Giants will fall this year, be my guess, but their only loss is Strahan.  They are still stout against the run, and they can still kill the QB so we'll see.

Also calling the Bucs a fluke is idiotic as well.  Lets look at some facts here buddy.

Code:
1997 	10 	6 	0 	2nd NFC Central 	Won Wild Card Playoff (Lions)
                                                                Lost Divisional Playoff (Packers)
1998 8 8 0 3rd NFC Central --
1999 11 5 0 1st NFC Central Won Wild Card Playoff (Redskins)
                                                                Lost Conference Championship (Rams)
2000 10 6 0 2nd NFC Central Lost Wild Card Playoff (Eagles)
2001 9 7 0 3rd NFC Central Lost Wild Card Playoff (Eagles)
2002 12 4 0 1st NFC South Won Divisional Playoff (49ers)
                                                               Won Conference Championship (Eagles)
                                                               Won Super Bowl XXXVII (Raiders)

Doesn't look like a Fluke to me.  They also won the division twice after that.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #44 on: August 13, 2008, 08:47:02 AM

Bucs definitely weren't a fluke. Dungy's defensive schemes were easily understood after the fact (and adopted elsewhere), but it was no accident that they won games with it.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: August 13, 2008, 05:01:01 PM

I know I'm a Bucs fan, but I call out bullshit when I see it. That was in fact, bullshit.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #46 on: August 13, 2008, 05:19:08 PM

I know I'm a Bucs fan, but I call out bullshit when I see it. That was in fact, bullshit.

Yes, we get it.  Need a golf clap smiley.

I don't think the Buccs will do much this year than maybe lose a first round playoff game.  Receivers are getting old. QB is getting old, cranky, and injury prone.  Ernest Graham isn't any sort of proven commodity.  I see a possibly decent to potentially trainwreck offense. 

Defense will be good.  Probably enough to win them games in a really weak division.  I'm not sold on Carolina (QB situation is still shakey) and New Orleans is a coin flip. You never know when the Aints are going to be the Aints.  Atlanta will be terrible.

That offense will get them nowhere in the playoffs if Garcia is even ambulatory that late into the season. 

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #47 on: August 13, 2008, 05:30:16 PM

Ok then, forget the fluke part. Call me when they are probable Super bowl contenders sometime in the next decade. They can win a shitty South division, maybe. I don't see them as a real threat in the playoffs for a while. YMMV.

Personally, I've been a Cowboys fan since we had season tickets in '89-'99. For those that remember, '89 was that awful 1-15 season where they didn't win a home game. It was a rough start but it paid off in the long run.

I think we can win the East this year, but I'm not sure we can do shit in the playoffs either. I think our problem is that our coach isn't a solid playoffs coach. I don't think he can mentally prep the team for an all-or-nothing matchup environment that is so much different than the regular season. The Cowboys have cruised through regular season games, got too far ahead, got lazy, and then got their asses handed to them because of horrible preperation. That's 100% the fault of coaching, and until that improves I don't see them as Champs.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #48 on: August 13, 2008, 05:51:20 PM

I'd blame Garrett before anyone. Not to say that he's bad at what he does (he certainly isn't). It's just that he's biased towards the passing game.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 14, 2008, 10:54:34 AM

Oh you're a Cowboys fan, that explains everything.

Carry on.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #50 on: August 14, 2008, 11:40:45 AM

The Bucs are a mediocre team at best, that might be carried by their defense. Their running game might be good if it's healty... but that's the if. Garcia? Yes, he's better than Sims, but really who can he throw to? Clayton will never be a #2 threat, Galloway will break down eventually and Hilliard is also getting up there.

I see the entire NFC being a big muddle. The class is obviously the Cowboys, but Romo has to "prove he can win the big game." Which I think he will eventually, but I don't know if it'll be while TO is there. The Giants weren't a fluke but they certainly aren't the best team in that division, much less the NFC. I don't think the Packers will be bad this year (I think Rodgers has got it), but they won't be the runaway hits of last year. Minnesota? Yeah, when they get a real QB. They'll win on running and defense. Chicago is a fucking mess. No QB and a defense living on past glory. Detroit still has the Lions' curse to deal with and an aging Kitna at QB.

The Saints will be better, but are still an unproven team. The Panthers have so many question marks, especially at QB, and their running backs can't stay healthy long enough to provide a threat. Atlanta will suck goats like champion goat suckers. Seattle is inconsistent and needs a new running game, the 49ers can't even anoint their heir apparent QB and the Rams have never convinced me Bulger is a division-winner much less a playoff contender. The Cardinals might surprise everyone this year if they can stay healthy and get a running game going.

The AFC is a bit more up in the air, but really... the East is a lock for New England. Favre might help the Jets get to the playoffs, but he needs to go talk to Emmet Smith about switching to rebuilding teams when past your prime. Buffalo and Miami will improve but not enough. Cincy is in a fucking mess, the Ravens are rebuilding, and the Browns and the Steelers should fight over that division. While the AFC South is probably the new black-n-blue division, Indy will win it hands down. The Jags, Texans and Titans should all compete for a wild-card spot, but only one will get it. The West is all San Diego, though. Denver still can't convince me Cutler's the man, KC needs to make sure Larry Johnson plays like Larry Johnson while also getting a QB and Oakland is still shit.

Pre-season predictions:

NFC Playoffs
Cowboys
Packers
Saints
Seahawks
Giants
Cardinals (My sleeper pick)

AFC Playoffs
Patriots
Steelers
Colts
Chargers
Jets
Browns

Patriots/Cowboys Super Bowl with the Pats coming out on top.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #51 on: August 15, 2008, 09:05:28 AM

Is it me or did the Bills actually look good? I'm not sure the rookie CB is all that hot, but he did get smoked by Hines Ward, so I guess you gotta give him a little slack. And he did run back a kickoff, so the depth there is nice.
WayAbvPar

Reply #52 on: August 15, 2008, 09:37:32 AM

As long as the Bills return to their bed-shitting ways for week 1 of the regular season, all is good. Hell, they can win 15 straight after that for all I care. Actually that would be awesome since it would mean that they beat the Patriots twice.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #53 on: August 15, 2008, 10:04:40 AM

One of my favorite jokes to tell my Bills-loving buddy: How do you know OJ was innocent? The killer used a knife and the Bills are chokers.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #54 on: August 15, 2008, 10:49:17 AM

X-Files quote:

[Smoking Man]: They (the Buffalo Bills) will never win the Super Bowl.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 15, 2008, 11:10:05 AM

X-Files quote:

Looks like Buffalo may get the last laugh over the McGahee situation.  Fucker is slacking HARD this year - didn't do offseason camps, came into camp out of shape,  and has banged up his knee now.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #56 on: August 15, 2008, 11:26:26 AM

Ah yes, the Bills. I remember that MNF game last year against the Cowboys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-qd_Rpq_-U

My parents turned off the game when they missed the 2pt conversion. I remember calling them back and screaming into the phone that we had won it.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #57 on: August 15, 2008, 06:19:09 PM

X-Files quote:

Ha! That was a great episode.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: August 18, 2008, 07:25:29 AM

Nice post Haemish, except that I think the Bucs are better than mediocre. They arn't great, but they are decent.  Their only weaknesses are an aging QB and WR corps.  Everything else is pretty good.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #59 on: August 18, 2008, 11:27:53 AM

You missed the injury prone running backs.

Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #60 on: August 18, 2008, 11:40:19 AM

Everyone who points at the Chicago QBs as the problem probably doesn't realize that the OL is so bad that it doesn't matter.  Undrafted rookie Caleb Hanie from Colorado State will probably be forced into action at some point this season after Orton and then Grossman are taken off the field on a stretcher.

Matt Forte looks like the real deal, but again, there might not be many holes to run through. 

Looking forward to another exciting year of losing 10-3, and the occasional 10-7 victory.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: August 18, 2008, 01:02:18 PM

You missed the injury prone running backs.

Graham is a decent enough back with Warrick Dunn to back him up.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 19, 2008, 10:07:08 AM

BUCS BUCS BUCS!

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 20, 2008, 08:24:25 AM

Call me "optimistic", but I really think the Pats will be the negative surprise of the upcoming season.

They'll still make it to the playoffs, but only on the backs of rebuilding Division Rivals and no QB in Buffalo.
Their Defense just won't be able to hold their level of last year- and signing another silverback to bolster a crushed secondary won't help. I had my reasons when getting Mayo on my FF team- he WILL record most tackles on that team b/c no one else has young enough feet to get to action as fast as he will.

On another note- Browns vs Steelers won't be nearly as close as people think.
Browns D is still the Browns D, and even if the Steelers D won't be as good as in past years, it's still enough to hold most opponents down to a point, where one of the best game-managing, bomb-armed QBs and a packed backfield will be able to outscore them.

I really expect big surprises from the Titans and the Bucs this season. I really think they are where there must be to take it to the next level.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #64 on: August 20, 2008, 09:03:32 AM

I may be a UT fan, but I still think Vince Young isn't going to be doing anything special in the NFL...yet.

Also, he's on the new cover of Madden. Which immediately disqualifies him of a successful season.  Ohhhhh, I see. awesome, for real

I will call you "optimistic". Pats will still kick much ass.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: August 20, 2008, 09:37:59 AM

I may be a UT fan, but I still think Vince Young isn't going to be doing anything special in the NFL...yet.

Also, he's on the new cover of Madden. Which immediately disqualifies him of a successful season.  Ohhhhh, I see. awesome, for real

I will call you "optimistic". Pats will still kick much ass.

Well, I forgot about their cake- schedule...

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: August 20, 2008, 01:53:45 PM

Picture from my new Giant Season tickets from Monday Night.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2008-2009 Pregame Talk/News  
Jump to: