Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:14:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: heroic defence/attack/magic rating, best idea to keep raid gear in check yet? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: heroic defence/attack/magic rating, best idea to keep raid gear in check yet?  (Read 6645 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

on: July 06, 2008, 07:01:05 AM

For those who don't know how it actually works heroic stats help you match regular stats when your value is lower.  For example if you have 250 attack rating and attack a mob with 300 defense rating you will do less than normal damage, but if you have 100 heroic attack rating on top of that it becomes 300 vs 300.  It lets you catch up but not surpass the stat its being compared against.  So far from what i've seen from tier 1 and a few pieces of tier 2 raid gear this stats are the main difference between epic gear and regular stuff.  This allows them to substantially increase the difficulty in their pve encounters without overpowering the gear in any way since those stats don't do anything in pvp.  Not only that but it also means lower tier encounters never become completely trivial because you outgear them.  My GM has a bad ass epic 2h sword (looks exactly like the one conan uses and like the one on the cover), the dps on it is only 2-3 higher than my quested blue sword, the main difference is it adds heroic attack rating making it better in raiding only.

I am the .00000001428%
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 07:21:51 AM

It's an interesting idea certainly, though I think it was a huge mistake to put the stat on gear so early.  Its use is so special-case and technical that shoving it in the faces of people just starting out in the game is pretty dumb.

The PvP side of it isn't really relevant from what I understand, since no kind of attack rating/defense rating has any effect in PvP.  So I guess it comes down to whether one thinks it's important enough to keep older raid content non-trivial to warrant adding complexity in the form of two new stats.  It CERTAINLY isn't worth adding that complexity at the start of the game, but I suppose one could argue it's worth it in the endgame.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 09:54:20 AM

It may be me but it sounds awful to have stats that may or may not do anything depending on the mob. A large part of the charm of gearing up is the feeling of ripping through mobs you previously struggled with. With twice as good gear I seriously want to deal twice the damage against any relevant mob. Having PvE-only stats is fine and a good idea I think, but scaling PvE stats is bad in an Oblivion-level-scaling-awkwardness kind of way.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 08:36:04 PM

I like the concept.  I'm not at a level to really see how it works in practice though.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 12:28:56 PM

I believe that as your rating gets higher than the more your attacking you do more damage.  I can attack and defend much better against a mob 5 levels under me than one equal level.  This is because my attack and defense ratings are higher.  Now once I can't level any more, this rating is basically helping you "outlevel" old content. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 01:07:07 PM

I believe that as your rating gets higher than the more your attacking you do more damage.  I can attack and defend much better against a mob 5 levels under me than one equal level.  This is because my attack and defense ratings are higher.  Now once I can't level any more, this rating is basically helping you "outlevel" old content. 

Actually no, regular attack rating and defence rating work the way you describe and they are capped but heroic only works when your regular rating is lower.  It only helps you against higher content, not lower.

I am the .00000001428%
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 01:15:59 PM

Honestly, while its cool, perhaps innovative.

It's confusing to the end user and in application, and that matters.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 01:56:59 PM

It's confusing to the end user and in application, and that matters.

It only affects raiders for the most part.  And raiders exist to do nothing but min/max all day while pretending to work so they can go home and raid.  Confusing is probably a good thing, it will give people hours and hours and hours of theorycrafting fodder.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 04:51:27 PM

It only affects raiders for the most part.  And raiders exist to do nothing but min/max all day while pretending to work so they can go home and raid.  Confusing is probably a good thing, it will give people hours and hours and hours of theorycrafting fodder.

That's true, but it's exposed to people right at the start of the game, so it still confuses them.  I think it was a mistake to put it on gear so early.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 08:50:18 AM

That's true, but it's exposed to people right at the start of the game, so it still confuses them.  I think it was a mistake to put it on gear so early.

Not necessarily. Stacking a bit of heroic rating can help you take on monsters a few levels above you more easily, thus helping levelling. The only problem is that they should have explained the mechanic beforehand.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 09:54:07 AM

Itemization in this game is almost as bad as EQ2s however.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 11:08:07 AM

Yeah theres no reason for .01 stat shit to ever exist.

I am the .00000001428%
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 11:23:11 AM

Ah, so its not itemization thats the problem, its the stat system, and power increases/gaps.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 11:52:52 AM

Ah, so its not itemization thats the problem, its the stat system, and power increases/gaps.

Oh, yeah pretty much.  By itemization people mean stats like dex and str do almost nothing and you have lower level gear with .01 slashing inmunity which means if you get hit for 10k damage it absorbs 1.  The problem was never that there were no items, its just confusing and they don't do much unless you stack specific things like pure +damage gear.  An item with +10 str is about as common as one with +10 damage, but the 10 str gives only .2 damage.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: heroic defence/attack/magic rating, best idea to keep raid gear in check yet?  
Jump to: