Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:56:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Game On 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game On  (Read 43749 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #70 on: October 29, 2004, 05:51:19 AM

I agree, Merusk.  This would be a great game for a group of friends.  Something to satisfy our PvP needs in this mostly PvPless MMOG world (at least the lack of PvP in any decent game).  Take a chunk of time to build up some good PvP characters and then meet every now and then for some good fun.  With no fee, there is no nagging sense that you MUST play to get your money's worth, or cancel.  If you play with a group of friends, the only time you need to pay attention to the 'community' is when you're killing them.  You'd get more longevity out of the game this way, too, I think.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #71 on: October 29, 2004, 06:03:06 AM

Lady Le Douche - Elementalist/Mez

I love this client, it's so lightweight!

AlteredOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: October 29, 2004, 06:24:01 AM

Technical -- Ran very smoothly for me, just had one 5-minute patch where I disconnected while zoning, and could not get back in for a couple of tries.  Only a few minor lag patches.  One time I accidentally dragged my window when my cat jumped on the keyboard, which caused some really funky issues, but I won't blame that on the client.

PvE -- Yes it's hard to get out of the MMO mindset, but I'm finding it a nice experience for casual play.  Get home, play a mission with the wife for 30 minutes, get some phat loot and log off for dinner.  Nobody will get addicted to this game for the PvE, but the missions are fairly fun as a team.

PvP -- I tried a few classes.  Warror/monk did so-so, I kept having to chase people who sprinted in circles.  Elementalist/monk got utterly destroyed, maybe I just don't understand how to play it.  Then I tried Mesmer/Elementalist, and OMG it was fun.  Right before I logged off, my team was undefeated for at least 15 times straight.  Mesmer/monk, mesmer/ele, warrior/monk, and warrior/ele.  I'm not bragging, I just think we somehow hit on a winning combination, and we had a couple of smart players.  Anyway, the fun of PvP seems to be experimenting with different class/skill combinations.  

Overall -- Agreed, this is a great pickup for $50 with no fee, and will be fun with friends.  I also had a good time meeting new people in the arena, added a few to my friend list.  With such rapid team turnover, you get plenty of opportunities to see who plays well with you.  This game seems to hit the magic "fun vs. addiction" spot for me.  I enjoy playing it, but I feel no special urge to call in sick.

Oh yeah, my main toon is Boarax Scrub, thus far.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: October 29, 2004, 06:26:43 AM

Played for 3 hours during the one hour I had. *whoops*

I like the game.  I will be buying the game.  I will have fun with the game.

That is all.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #74 on: October 29, 2004, 08:17:23 AM

Well, on the technical side, it runs great in high-def (720p), so it looks very nice on my system. However, a lot of interface elements are tiny and pushed to the borders of the screen and the interface windows are HUGE, though I didn't look for any customization controls for them.

But it's nice to see a game that natively supports HD, there aren't many that don't require .ini tweaking.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: October 29, 2004, 08:37:29 AM

I need to make a grief monk. Join groups for instances then leave 30 seconds later. Had that happen about 3 times last night.

Errr - Kifu Furiously Warrior/Necro (I'm not sure my vision of a shadowknight works)

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #76 on: October 29, 2004, 09:06:03 AM

Quote from: Sky
Well, on the technical side, it runs great in high-def (720p), so it looks very nice on my system. However, a lot of interface elements are tiny and pushed to the borders of the screen and the interface windows are HUGE, though I didn't look for any customization controls for them.

But it's nice to see a game that natively supports HD, there aren't many that don't require .ini tweaking.

I couldn't find an interface that would let me change the chat window.  Hitting the "Go away" button makes it so that only the last 10-15 seconds of chat show up in a smaller area without a border.  When I'm outside of the cities I'm doing this. The downside is that since it only shows for a short while you're likely to miss any tells, which is also why I advocated sending messages instead of tells/whispers.

I had to disable bloom. I was so damn shiny it hurt my eyes.  No contrast/brightness settings in the game either.  Since my system seems to like to render games darker than applications I usually have to up the gamma so I can see anything.  Instead, I'm having to adjust my monitor, which is a source of some frustration to me.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: October 29, 2004, 09:10:17 AM

One aspect of the game I've liked has been trying variations of my skill sets between missions -- and especially between pvp fights in the arena. Gave me a chance to see very quickly whether I liked using a given skill.

Hints for getting new skills:

- talk to Firstwatcher Sergio in Lion's Arch to pickup new skills; each new skill you but costs 1 more gold than the previous

- more skills are available from Capt Greywind in a village north of Lion's Arch -- to get there, head out into the explorable area of North Kyrta and head toward the beaches, then veer westward. He also sells the signet capture rings that lets you capture skills from boss creatures.

- if you want to try out skills from other professions, or even your own, go to the charm vendor in Lions Arch near the outfitter -- they're cheap to buy

Hints for getting gold

- buy a salvage kit, or expert salvage kit from the outfitter; use it to deconstruct loot you don't need; use the deconstructed stuff to buy upgrades to weapons and armor (most armor upgrades have level 17+ req, though), or sell the components to the crafting component vendor in bundles of 10 -- I sold 10 iron ingots for 70+ gold -- the price seemed to go up over time, almost as though the NPC payed more for stuff in higher demand -- the wood planks I had kept dropping in value (guessing no one is buying those)

Chat interface notes
- yeah it could stand improvement
- you can double-click a friends name or guild members name in the Friends or Guild members window and it will initiate a tell or send in the chat window
- you can double-click on the names of people in the chat window and it does the same thing

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
WayAbvPar

Reply #78 on: October 29, 2004, 09:25:02 AM

you play with a group of friends, the only time you need to pay attention to the 'community' is when you're killing them.

Heh. I feel this way about PvE games too!

I had fun last night. Wish we could start n00b characters to get a better feel for character development, but OTOH, these will be easy to max out for PvP.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #79 on: October 29, 2004, 10:36:21 AM

Saw, liked.

I will hopefully be able to convert a group of friends who still spend multiple hours a week trying to complete some stupid green set of Armor of Uselessness on Nightmare in D2.

The skill-mix strategizing seems like a plus.  There are many necro skills that involve sacrificing life, for example, and another skill that does something purty when someone else in your party sacrifices life.  Necro c-c-c-combooo.  Also, mixing curse/enchantment effects and immediate effects requires a little tacticamification.  The experienced teams are going to pwn.  It'll be interesting to see if the system gets sufficiently raped by whining bitches on the bulletin boards until all skills are equally useless.

Henchmen rule.  They're very sefless about loot, they shut up, and they don't suddenly stop and stare blankly at the countryside when I need some healing.

The PvE balance seems to need some work.  Running around with my 4 most bosom henchmen for many hours never resulted in a single battle that brought anyone below half life.  I daresay it got boring.  Then we went to the tomb and it took about 4 seconds before all of our eyesockets were packed with ghoul-peen.  Maybe there was some semi-challenging in-between area that it takes 5 hours to run to.

I have thoughts of being a primary crafter in this game, just because it seems unlikely to draw the crafting-type, thus resulting in market cornering, and it's incredibly perverse to try to be a crafter in such an instanced game.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: October 29, 2004, 01:32:12 PM

Quote from: sidereal
Then we went to the tomb and it took about 4 seconds before all of our eyesockets were packed with ghoul-peen.

"The writer's use of imagery is masterful..."

I think the tombs would be more challenging with a group of live players than bots -- if other Bat Country-Clubbers are up for wearing their guild bibs into the tombs tonight...

[guild tabards look like they are meant to keep players from getting pasta -- or maybe ghoul-peen -- on their shirts]

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #81 on: October 29, 2004, 01:51:18 PM

Quote from: Sobelius
Quote from: sidereal
Then we went to the tomb and it took about 4 seconds before all of our eyesockets were packed with ghoul-peen.

"The writer's use of imagery is masterful..."

I think the tombs would be more challenging with a group of live players than bots -- if other Bat Country-Clubbers are up for wearing their guild bibs into the tombs tonight...

[guild tabards look like they are meant to keep players from getting pasta -- or maybe ghoul-peen -- on their shirts]

I did that first part where he opens a portal w/ just some bots.  Once to portal opens it's PvP vs. another group who opened the portal.  I lost.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: October 29, 2004, 02:14:37 PM

Doh, it looks like guilds just got reset ... hopefully they'll come back.

Edit: they're back! yay!

- Viin
schmoo
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: October 29, 2004, 05:03:08 PM

The henchmen are pretty good.  I'm playing a necro/warrior, and with a bunch of reanimated dead things, me and the henchpeople kick ass.

The game runs quite fast on my wife's Celeron system with a GF5200 PCI card.  Amazing.

The music sounds like Lineage II.

I like it.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: October 29, 2004, 05:44:17 PM

Dace Harkane

Ranger / Necro

(ATM)

EDIT:  That is, if I can ever get in.  0% connecting, and holding.

EDIT EDIT:  Wow, totally unplayable.  My char just twitches when I try tyo get him to move.  After about 5 minutes I made it to Jax.  Now I can't move and I can't get him to talk.  Anyone else getting this?

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #85 on: October 29, 2004, 05:59:00 PM

Quote from: Mesozoic
EDIT:  That is, if I can ever get in.  0% connecting, and holding.

They announced at around 7:30 EST that one of their ISPs would be doing some emergency maintainence starting at 8:00 and it might affect everyone's connection. I didn't lose conn until around 8:30, so it looks like they might have started late.  Still can't connect though, so I'm done for a while tonight.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Gong
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: October 29, 2004, 06:52:37 PM

hey guys, since no one has brought it up yet, I'd like to go into a bit more detail about the Tombs of the Primeval Kings. It is pretty much "the" place to go for PvP combat. It is 8v8 arranged teams, so you pick all of your partners beforehand. Group up with your friends, grab a few random people or henchmen as you may prefer to fill out the group, and head in.

The first part is where you get attacked by ghouls. You have to protect the Ghostly hero while he opens the door. This is basically a preliminary/warmup/weedout mission, usually lasts 2-4 minutes. The purpose is basically to weed out any totally crap groups so they don't prove to be a total waste of time when the PvP starts. After the first mission, you play against other teams of players. The mission types range from team deathmatch, capture the flag, king of the hill, and various hybridizations. Sometimes there will be quirks such as having a NPC priest that will rez your whole party at 2 minute intervals. As you progress further, the game will match you up against other teams with similar winnings.

You gain Fame when you win, and the amount of fame gained doubles with each consecutive win. First win = 1 fame, second win = 2 fame, 3rd = 4 fame, etc. If I remember properly from E3, at 25 fame you gain another skill point, can't remember what the rewards were after that.

My guild and I made it to something like 12 consecutive wins last night before we got knocked out. It really is a lot of fun, and in my opinion is the probably going to be the best part of this preview event. If you have a formal guild, then there is some sort of system established for special guild vs guild matches which I believe are a bit more complex than the stuff in the Tomb of Primeval Kings, but I haven't tried it yet. If all goes well, I'll give it a shot tonight.

I put in quite a bit of time on this game in E3, and I've already dropped way too many hours on this event already, but at least I've got a pretty large working knowledge of the game. If anyone has questions, feel free to ask.
WayAbvPar

Reply #87 on: October 29, 2004, 06:56:34 PM

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask.

Can you explain skill charms and how they work?

Is there any advantage to taking a ton of skills when you can only use 8 at a time? Or does that # go up eventually?

What in the bloody hell is a cesta? I can't find a definition anywhere that doesn't include jai alai!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Gong
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: October 29, 2004, 07:43:34 PM

ok - skill charms are basically "temporary" skills. you buy/find a skillcharm, and when activate it, you gain that skill as an additional 9th slot for 24 hours.
After 24hrs, the skill will disappear and be gone forever.

however, you can find an item called a skill ring as loot from a boss. what a skill ring does is allow you to consume a skill charm, and permanently learn the skill that was contained in the charm.

the advantage to taking more skills is that you can swap them out before battles so that you have some flexibility, so you don't have to play the exact same character every time. Maybe when you're playing with one set of friends, you want skills X, Y, and Z because they are particular synergistic with the skills of your friends but are otherwise too conditional to use with a random group. It's all about letting you change your character to best fit with your group.

As for only being able to use 8 at a time, it is a balance decision. It is basically the great equalizer between high and low levels. You might be at max level, but you can't bring all 75 skills with you to a fight and totally wtfpwn some poor level 15 guy. There is a limit to the number of skills you can have in your "library", but it raises as you level. It doesn't really matter for this event though because new chars are level15 and the cap is 20.

I'll go ahead and toss in some information on skills in general. In addition to using a skillring/skillcharm method I described above, there are two other ways to learn a skill. You can talk to a trainer NPC, such as Firstwatch Sergio in Lion's Arch. The NPC has a fixed list of abilities you can learn from him, and they get incrementally more expensive as you buy more skills from him.

In case you didn't know, there is a different NPC skill trainer with a completely different list of skills than Sergio. You can find him in the coastal outpost in the free-form exploration zone (I think it is called North Khyto Province), basically you just run north to the coast once you enter the zone. You'll need to kill mobs as you go by, otherwise you'll aggro far too much if you try to run straight through. As you get near the beach, look to the west and you'll see the settlement. The captain there is the trainer.

You'll also see that the captain sells Capture Signets, which are the other way to gain skills. Basically, you put the capture signet on your skillbar, and wait until a boss (named) NPC uses a skill that you want to capture. Activate your signet ring, and it will begin capturing the last skill used by the boss. It takes 2-3 seconds, and a progress bar will be displayed on the screen so you can make sure that you're capturing the desired skill. If it's the wrong skill, just move and it will cancel the process. Once it's finished, the capture signet will be permanently replaced with the captured skill and you now permanently have the spell.

You can tell what profession a boss NPC is by the aura around him. Yellow is warrior, different shades of green are necro and ranger, blue is monk, and purple is mesmer.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #89 on: October 29, 2004, 09:04:40 PM

See, once in awhile I trump up a game that isn't utter crap.

schild
Administrator

Reply #90 on: October 29, 2004, 09:36:01 PM

Quote from: geldonyetich
See, once in awhile I trump up a game that isn't utter crap.

Meh, I was trumping it up so long before you that I'm pretty sure no one noticed you. But ya know - call them as you see them. Yes, I'm tooting my own horn. It feels good.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: October 29, 2004, 11:09:42 PM

I think it's clever of them to let people have very restricted access. 2-3 days with a very narrow level range, good way to let people appreciate the shiny without being able to test the depth.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Azhrarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: October 30, 2004, 02:02:47 AM

I'm playing as Azhriaz Vanashta - Necro/Mesmer

Fun so far, but this is coming off of soemone who was way to addicted to Diablo 2.  From what I've seen so far, it's enough to warrant purchasing for me.  Woo.

Already in a small guild with friends from real life, but will be happy to team up with any of you if you drop me a line.  I'm usually on in the early morning hours.

I came here to be drugged, electrocuted, and probed.  Not insulted! - H.S.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #93 on: October 30, 2004, 08:00:33 AM

I'm on as Xilren Twinson War/Elem.  Currently at lvl 17 but not overly thrilled with the skill sets a hammer user can pick up (visited both skill trainers).  Nice to see the missions getting a little harder though.  The third one has wiped out my group 3 different times.  The centaur like warrior immediately target healers so my npc monk keeps getting owned.

Peformance has been generally good, coupla huge lag spikes and fell through a bridge to get stuck in geometry once, but nothing major.

With no monthly fee, there no reason not to pick this up.

I sent Rasix a message for the BC hookup.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: October 30, 2004, 10:00:32 AM

One of their 5 million autopatchs fixed the sound/battle lag I was having.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: October 30, 2004, 10:33:27 AM

Does anyone know if the random 4v4s are balanced for levels, or just numbers?  I have a suspicion that I'm not really helping with my 15 R/Mo with crap gear.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: October 30, 2004, 10:40:03 AM

Would have been nice to play, but the graphics on my system are seriously fucked up. I can create a character, but once I enter the game the screen can't refresh, and if I try to move it looks like an abstract painting getting smeared all over the screen. I've monkeyed with all the graphics settings, including refresh rates and resolution, and nothing seems to fix it. And I am certainly NOT going to sift through the vomit-inducing Vault boards to see if there is a solution.

So ... 2 observations from what I was able to get to work:

1) Character creation is quick and easy, and the avatars are pretty decent looking. Here's hoping they add some creature races in later patches.

2) The chick in the loading splash screen looks a lot like Winona Ryder.

Um, never mind.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: October 30, 2004, 11:36:22 AM

I had the exact same problem as you Ardent.  I rolled my nvidia drivers back to 56.72, and now the game is running absolutely perfectly.
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #98 on: October 30, 2004, 11:56:11 AM

Blood Rosette - 15 Elementalist/Mesmer

And uh, long time no see.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #99 on: October 30, 2004, 11:56:55 AM

Quote from: Daydreamer
Blood Rosette - 15 Elementalist/Mesmer

And uh, long time no see.

You're still alive?!
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: October 30, 2004, 05:08:39 PM

Quote from: trias_e
I had the exact same problem as you Ardent.  I rolled my nvidia drivers back to 56.72, and now the game is running absolutely perfectly.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

See, I knew posting here would be the most productive solution.

Um, never mind.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: October 30, 2004, 08:09:18 PM

OK -- have seriously played until it feels like my eyes are bleeding -- in a good way.

Am about level 19.5 or so. The mission in the Bloodstone Fen has a tough final fight. Pick them off bit by bit and you can get through it.

Biggest difficulty I've seen has been crafting damn near anything. Not in the crafting but in the acquisition of the base materials. Wheeling and dealing can be fun but not amid nauseating spam. I don't mind having to work for materials; and I don't even mind farming for stuff -- but supposedly "common" materials -- cloth -- are insanely rare. It's far easier to make linen -- a supposedly rare item -- than cloth. Also, some kind of trivial loot code must kick in at higher levels -- can't replay lower level missions and expect to get much in the way of drops. I solo'd the whole Wilds mission with 4 henchmen and still came up short on stuff. Oh well. At least I finally got to make a "Rogues Attire" armor suit that would look cool if it weren't for the guild bib.

Made my best deals in the Farmers Market -- a hidden crafter station/area you find by exploring in the western part of North Kryta. Got wiped in the Cursed Lands -- nasty undead in an exploration area west of the Farmer's Market -- and haven't been back.

Would really like to try the Tombs with a guild group -- looks like it would be great fun.

--Sob

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: October 31, 2004, 09:05:25 AM

Quote from: Sobelius
OK -- have seriously played until it feels like my eyes are bleeding -- in a good way.

Am about level 19.5 or so. The mission in the Bloodstone Fen has a tough final fight. Pick them off bit by bit and you can get through it.

--Sob

We did that and managed to get Hablion alone, he then proceeded to wipe the floor with my party a few times.

I am the .00000001428%
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: October 31, 2004, 11:55:13 AM

On loot drops: My experience is they you get all the loot doing solo missions with henchmen, a ton more drops when you have a 6 man real player team. Missions where I was used to chests dropping 1 or 0 loot with a henchman team suddenly dropped 3 items with a full 6 man real player group. Same with bosses. After the first couple of hours when the game opened Thursday I never once saw a yellow rare drop with the henchmen group, but did when I had a real player group, so it looks like they tune drops to the presence of real players.

I agree the aquisition of crafting items and even good weapons seems a bit harsh at the moment. It sucks seeing stacks of 8 hides drop and be assigned to another player in your party too when you dont see one hide drop in 3 missions.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #104 on: October 31, 2004, 12:18:57 PM

Quote from: Phred
On loot drops: My experience is they you get all the loot doing solo missions with henchmen, a ton more drops when you have a 6 man real player team. Missions where I was used to chests dropping 1 or 0 loot with a henchman team suddenly dropped 3 items with a full 6 man real player group. Same with bosses. After the first couple of hours when the game opened Thursday I never once saw a yellow rare drop with the henchmen group, but did when I had a real player group, so it looks like they tune drops to the presence of real players.

I agree the aquisition of crafting items and even good weapons seems a bit harsh at the moment. It sucks seeing stacks of 8 hides drop and be assigned to another player in your party too when you dont see one hide drop in 3 missions.

Actually it just splits it up the way it would in a 6 man PC group.

In a six man PC group you get 1 out of every 6 drops.  But you get to see all these items drop.  In a henchmen group, the drop rate is 1/6 of normal, but you get all the items.  It balances out.  I did a little solo'ing w/out henchmen and every kill dropped an item.

-Hat
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Game On  
Jump to: