Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:00:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Game On 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game On  (Read 43739 times)
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 28, 2004, 05:31:22 PM

Murg The Moderate

Warrior/necromancer

edit: it handles alt-tab well.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36 on: October 28, 2004, 05:51:02 PM

Y'all need to answer your tells.  Heh. Hat and I have crewed-up and I can't get ahold of the rest of ya.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #37 on: October 28, 2004, 05:55:36 PM

Fen Jay.

I don't much know what I'm doing either.

Witty banter not included.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 28, 2004, 06:03:59 PM

El  Gallo
fighter/necro
downloading ............... 7%...................

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #39 on: October 28, 2004, 06:05:51 PM

Hat, I'm sending ya tells I don't know if you can see 'em or not.

WayAbvPar

Reply #40 on: October 28, 2004, 06:11:03 PM

Dowloading as Antolin Reialathan, Ranger/Warrior extraordinaire. At current transfer speeds, I should be in game just in time for the retail launch =P

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 28, 2004, 06:13:46 PM

Is anyone else having graphical issues? i played the e3 beta just fine on the same computer, maybe its because im using directx 9 instead of 8.

I am the .00000001428%
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #42 on: October 28, 2004, 06:20:33 PM

My graphics are fine but I keep getting the "you are not connected to the internet" message halfway through downloading a new zone.

El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 28, 2004, 06:27:38 PM

I'm in, which way to the ph@t l3wtz?

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #44 on: October 28, 2004, 06:34:08 PM

Rasix Mifune, warrior/monk

-Rasix
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 28, 2004, 06:51:23 PM

I get disconnected and then have to redownload everything.  After downloading the same files 3 times at ~6k a sec I'm done.  Maybe I'll try the game again when they figure out how to store files locally.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 28, 2004, 07:04:59 PM

crashed and cant get in.

Rasix

Reply #47 on: October 28, 2004, 07:16:50 PM

Poison hurts.  It hurts me bad.

-Rasix
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #48 on: October 28, 2004, 07:22:55 PM

Merusk and I (and Hat for a few minutes) just finished a longer than expected instance mission.  

It was entertaining if laggy.  I think the servers aren't ready for the legion of people looking for teh free.  But it isn't debilitating, just annoying.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #49 on: October 28, 2004, 07:35:52 PM

Yeah, we had one encounter with a L17 mob that looked like it was going to be a permanent fight.  We'd damage him a good chunk, the server would pause and everyone's energy/health would reset.  I think it took us 10 mins to kill that bastard.

In all it's fairly enjoyable, but meeting-up is a pain in the ass. I reccommend sending messages instead of tells.  They'll go through and remain even if the person you're messaging has crashed/ gone offline.

Oh, and rumor is that guilds are 500 gold, not 50. I've got some funds I'll donate to whomever is setting it up.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #50 on: October 28, 2004, 08:02:15 PM

Quote from: Merusk
Yeah, we had one encounter with a L17 mob that looked like it was going to be a permanent fight.  We'd damage him a good chunk, the server would pause and everyone's energy/health would reset.  I think it took us 10 mins to kill that bastard.

In all it's fairly enjoyable, but meeting-up is a pain in the ass. I reccommend sending messages instead of tells.  They'll go through and remain even if the person you're messaging has crashed/ gone offline.

Oh, and rumor is that guilds are 500 gold, not 50. I've got some funds I'll donate to whomever is setting it up.

Did the lag clean up at all? If not, I may not play more tonight.
schild
Administrator

Reply #51 on: October 28, 2004, 08:14:03 PM

Disconnected. Can't reconnect. The bug is when you take more than one henchman into a battle instance. I don't know how their QA missed that. Someone is getting taunted tomorrow.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 28, 2004, 08:14:19 PM

The instanced missions I've gotten so far as a warrior/ranger are pretty long. I don't bother grouping with anyone I just hire the NPCs to fill up my group. The first mission I had the same problem with not being able to kill a mob. He couldn't kill us because I had a healer NPC and we wouldn't kill him because everytime we got him even close to half way down he would just heal himself.

There isn't much internet lag for me but the graphics lag like ass during a fight and it wasn't like that in the E3 client. Either that or it is the sound which lags. I turned off 3D sound so we'll see if that helped at all.

Krakrok Stoneburner if anyone cares. I couldn't remember the password for my E3 account and when I reset it the new password doesn't work so I just started a new account. Kind of wish I had taken warrior/elementalist like I did in E3 though. So far I haven't found any animals to tame with my beast magic (the pigs in the missions aren't tamable) and Ooink disappeared.

---

Edit: How's that? I took 4 NPCs into my last mission and account still works fine. But I finished the mission so maybe that was it.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #53 on: October 28, 2004, 08:48:40 PM

Quote from: Merusk

Did the up the price?  It says 50 gold on the Guild Purchase merchant.

WayAbvPar

Reply #54 on: October 28, 2004, 09:04:23 PM

Guild merchant still says 50 gold. I have almost that much already. I haven't seen any trouble with more than 1 NPC per instance; I brought 3 with me on the first mission and breezed through it (it was damned long though). I have my first 'explorable area' available; does that entail fighting without going into an instance?

Also- anyone know how to use dyes?

I am having fun so far, but I wish I had more slots for skills. I just bought a ton of them and can't fit them all. Bugger.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 28, 2004, 09:08:50 PM

Quote from: WayAbvPar

Also- anyone know how to use dyes?

Just double click it in your inventory then click on what you want dyed.

I did two of the starting quests (after the tutorial one) and got to level 16 and over 100 gold... so I bought some spells and went to the PvP arena. And guess what? All my new sh!t (levels, gold, spells, everything) is gone! Fudge! So I log out and back in, same thing. Go back Lions Gate (or whatever it is) and its still gone. Gosh damn it, 2 hours wasted there. :( My quest log shows I need to complete the quests I just did. -sigh-

They shoulda called this a stress test like WoW does. :P

- Viin
Liquidator
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 28, 2004, 09:12:05 PM

Quote from: schild
Disconnected. Can't reconnect. The bug is when you take more than one henchman into a battle instance. I don't know how their QA missed that. Someone is getting taunted tomorrow.

I was wondering where you ran off to. :)

Rasix

Reply #57 on: October 28, 2004, 09:13:35 PM

I have 60 gold, I'll register the guild.

Edit: Guild made.

-Rasix
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 28, 2004, 09:26:31 PM

Quote from: schild
The bug is when you take more than one henchman into a battle instance. I don't know how their QA missed that. Someone is getting taunted tomorrow.

J'es disagree.  I did the first mission this morning (the one where you're supposed go meet Brother thingy, and you get attacked by undead all the time) with 4 henchmen and myself, and it went fine (at least until I died coz I fucked up).  So taking multiple henchmen into instances are fine with me at least...
Lanei
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: October 28, 2004, 09:40:36 PM

I have my first 'explorable area' available; does that entail fighting without going into an instance?

Kind of.  I think its still instanced, because I've never (disclaimer, in 4 or so hours of play) seen another player in one, but its not a mission.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: October 29, 2004, 12:32:20 AM

Well I made my second character (besides the one from E3). I set out to gimp myself as much as possible so made a Necromancer Primary with Elementalist Secondary. I named him The Incarnate for maximum cheesiness.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: October 29, 2004, 12:35:23 AM

How do I contact online Bat country people(or whatever the guild name is)?
Delf
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: October 29, 2004, 12:36:38 AM

Qua Fin Ti, Monk/ranger
Rasix

Reply #63 on: October 29, 2004, 01:07:46 AM

Quote from: ahoythematey
How do I contact online Bat country people(or whatever the guild name is)?

Anyone that wants in, just leave Rasix Mifune a message and I'll guild you when I'm on. I'm not sure if officers can give invites, but I know I can just leave them out there.  Plus, once you're guilded, all of your characters are.

-Rasix
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 29, 2004, 01:18:14 AM

Ahoy the Matey, Necro/monk

Still trying to figure out the chat commands...
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 29, 2004, 01:47:44 AM

First impressions:

preface: system experience
- connecting via DSL (pppoe) (384 up/1.5 down max I think)
- despite the slow load times, I was never disconnected from the game the entire evening, two small instances of lag that lasted 5 seconds
- running a P3 1.2, 512, DX9, GF3Ti200-128 under WinXP (not SP2)  -- never a single graphical glitch, with settings all at high detail

given the above, it was much easier for me to enjoy the game than it would have been if i'd been among those who experienced considerable lag or disconnects, etc.

interface
- pretty intuitive, though some things were not; overall pretty easy for an mmorpg vet to figure out
- not really customizable, though gets the job done

towns:
-wish there was a separate local and broadcast channel -- too much new player spam
- loved the instanced areas -- Lion's Arch 87 for teh win! -- and the very easy way you simply drop down which one you want to go to and boom you're there
- the basics are here; not intended to be immersive beyond vending machine vendors, though I like the backstory provided to Firstwatch Sergio, the skills teacher.

pve missions:
- did the first two major missions, scouring every corner of the map, with 2 friends and 3 henchmen -- finally quests that felt like quests, even if the paths were ultimately pretty linear a-la-dungeon siege (in fact, a lot about this game reminds me of many aspects of dungeon siege)

overall, a fun experience -- thank God the combat is at least as fast paced as CoH; it's a bit on the too-easy side though, which I think is due to almost all the creatures except boss creatures being equal or lower level -- guessing they are sticking with the idea of pve not being a grind, more of an entertaining way to develop the character on the way to pve; then i tried the tombs solo with 4 henchman and was promptly stomped by some big ass ghouls

outdoor exploration:
- explored northern Krtya and Neb-something Terrace, found the general that sells additional skills
- nicely done, though the mobs are pretty much the same from the missions, so far
- huge kudos for being able to go back to town or to any starting point whenever you want just by clicking a dot on the map -- no more boring horse rides

crafting:
- pretty obviously not fully implemented
- not intuitive that you have to use the salvaging kits to break down loot to get the odd components for upgrades and new armor
- love the fact you go to a crafter to craft, hand him/her the ingredients and money and presto you get your gear; though some of the armor recipes are fixed, you can upgrade weapons by slotting new hafts/strings/heads, etc. I used the advanced salvage kit on a sword and got a special hilt, so I see now how you can then use this hilt on any other sword to upgrade it

pvp:
- lets just say being a mesmer/elementalist will not be a viable combo until I get access to faster casting -- good use of advanced skills helps, but in the 4-on-4 pickup groups that are in the gladitorial arena, there is little to no time to coordinate group tactics and caster types need tanks to keep the enemy tanks off of them and healers to heal; did not get to try the guild v guild pvp, which I think will be much better assuming the guild members can chat through teamspeak and know what to do -- still an adrenaline rush that rivals anything in DAOC without the hour o fwaiting just to die in 2 minutes -- at least I can get right back into another wipe-the-floor-with-me-fest without having the bother of xp debt, rez sickness, etc.

fun night -- looking forward to seeing others online tomorrow and Sat.

--Sob

ps. I also find the game really gorgeous to play in -- fast gameplay, smooth frame rate, and rich graphics -- killer combo

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 29, 2004, 02:03:51 AM

My thoughts so far:

I am more impressed than I was during E3. My E3 impressions boiled down to "meh".

Now...

Graphics: Pretty good. I'd say they're somewhere between EQ2 and WoW. I don't think they'll age as well as either though, not having WoW's artistic style or EQ2's polycount. Spell effects were underwhelming however. Also this game seems to have less customization than WoW.

Sound: is it me or is this game seriously lacking in the sound department? I got a cutscene at the end of a quest where I was made a knight and I remember thinking how it'd be so much better with sound. I had some subdued music and that was it. Combat sound is boring as well.

Controls: Easy. Casting time felt slow but the spells were kinda fun.

UI: I didn't much care for the UI. It was easy enough to use, just kind of ugly.

Gameplay: My biggest complaint would be that gameplay is too linear. I mean, I literally had to follow a set path in the 3 quests I tried. I also don't like not having a jump button. SWG taught me how necessary jumping is.

I liked the quests for the most part. They felt fast paced and fun. Combat was good and fast, almost COH fast in alot of ways. I did find it ironic that I'm a necromancer walking around with my small army of Bone Horrors and I kept being asked to defend people from undead.

I also liked being able to hire henchman rather than needing to mess with other people. I hired 1 henchman of each type and they did their jobs pretty well. I did however wish that my henchman had names. Something beyond "Warrior henchman".

Overall the game felt like a bastard child of diablo and dungeon siege to me.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #67 on: October 29, 2004, 02:27:09 AM

Quests are ok.  I didn't find them to be special or anything.  I'm not really in this game for PvE or questing, though... I just want the opportunity to kill my friends.  

I hate hate hate the UI.  

I want to jump and I don't want to be stuck on edge of the world.  I want to go where I like and I'd even accept falling damage to do it.  If I die because I fall off of a mountain, it's my own damn fault... just let me fall off, for fuck sake!

Crafting is for gurlies.

It took me 10 minutes to figure out why I couldn't buy anything.  I didn't even notice the little box on the bottom to put the item in.

I wanted to sell stuff.  I dragged the items to the proper place and then cleared it.  I dragged it all over again... 3 more times.  I got different total prices each time.  Way different.  I don't get it.

But I enjoyed it.  It's purdy.  I have big boobs.

Sorry about my post structure.  It's nearly 5:30 AM and I've been up all night craving cigarettes.  I'm tired, too.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
CassandraR
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 29, 2004, 02:35:35 AM

Im currently playing Alyson Rivers, warrior monk. And I have to say I want henchmen in all the other games too. Grouping has never been so fun as when they aren't really people..
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #69 on: October 29, 2004, 05:15:37 AM

Guild merchant still says 50 gold. I have almost that much already. I haven't seen any trouble with more than 1 NPC per instance; I brought 3 with me on the first mission and breezed through it (it was damned long though). I have my first 'explorable area' available; does that entail fighting without going into an instance?

Yeah it was just a rumor I'd seen while waiting on MrHat and Jayce.  Thought I'd post it in case someone tried and wasn't successful. I should have known better given the 'quality' of the community.

There's explorable areas off of Lion's Arena, MrHat and I ran around in one before he rerolled.  Need to be careful when fighting out there, since mobs group up and one monster that looks like he's alone might have a buddy that runs a good distance to join him.   Oh.. and don't rez anyone when they're in the middle of some mobs, it's an in-place rez.

I've got to agree on the spell effects.  Some of them are pretty nifty, like the Elementalist's Mele ward, or rain of fire but most of them are pretty lackluster.  I have a lightning bolt spell that does a single glowing vertical line as it's effect. No forks or anything cool.  The Ball lightning spell tosses a glowing sphere about the size of a baseball.  I think my default wand attack was more visible.

It's hard to get out of the MMO mindset on a few things.  Henchman completly boggled my mind for a bit, as I was leery of using them, expecting some huge penalty for not sucking it up and dying on my own.  Similarly the fact that I'm able to regen power during a fight and I don't have to be as damned conservative with it as I'm used to being.

In all I could see paying the $50 for this game and enjoying it for a month (About the attention span games get around here).  I couldn't "get into" the community and I know it'd be hell on me mentaly trying to.  Definatly a game you'd want to play with people you know.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Game On  
Jump to: