Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:39:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Tip of the Day! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tip of the Day!  (Read 43219 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #70 on: June 08, 2008, 01:50:43 PM

Oh wow. That explains a LOT.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: June 08, 2008, 02:54:24 PM

If you delete a toon, and make another with the same name, any mail sent to you goes away.

So, don't mail stuff to rattran in game.  ACK!

Uh, shit, mailing stuff to any of the Sten* characters might be dangerous too.  That is a fairly sucky bug.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #72 on: June 08, 2008, 03:39:57 PM

I've had an issue with making a toon with the same name after deleting the original. I tried immediately thereafter, and no go, and then a few minutes later, and then a day later. It was a potentially popular name, so I can't swear that it wasn't taken within a few hours, but has anyone succesfully deleted a toon and taken the same name right away?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: June 08, 2008, 03:51:57 PM

I was able to do it Engels, yeah.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #74 on: June 08, 2008, 04:24:57 PM

I've had an issue with making a toon with the same name after deleting the original. I tried immediately thereafter, and no go, and then a few minutes later, and then a day later. It was a potentially popular name, so I can't swear that it wasn't taken within a few hours, but has anyone succesfully deleted a toon and taken the same name right away?

Yep.  Of course, that new character was unable to be added to the guild because the old one couldn't be removed.  swamp poop

-Rasix
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #75 on: June 08, 2008, 07:40:52 PM

Oh by the way you can make a .bat and stick it in the AoC file to delete the shaders and start the patcher, just put this in there:
del shader.cache
del shader.cache.local
start conanpatcher.exe

Then you can just make it a shortcut and give it an AoC icon.

photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: June 09, 2008, 04:14:53 AM

Here is a great tool called AoC Quick Start. It does as advertised and a little more :

Current features:
- skip all intro movies
- adjust Windows scheduler timer settings to improve framerates (FPS boost)
- delete local shader caches before startup
- adjust process priorities and enable dynamic thread boosts
- adjust Age of Conan's processor affinities

Planned for next versions:
- "Ultra Quick Start" modus to start client without having to start the patcher first

http://www.conanmods.com/?p=mod&m=22

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #77 on: June 09, 2008, 04:23:29 AM

Does it work (they fps boosting and whatnot)?

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #78 on: June 09, 2008, 06:19:19 AM

If that is an executeable I would be very worried about keyloggers etc.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: June 09, 2008, 06:34:55 AM

Its only an installer. After that you run the AoC icon.

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #80 on: June 09, 2008, 07:20:12 AM

Its only an installer. After that you run the AoC icon.

Is it installing a batch file? If so it would probably be safer to just post the batch file (which is just a text file). Installers have trojans too.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: June 09, 2008, 11:12:12 AM

Checked with two apps, no trojans / keyloggers found. Only was a "Debugger entry in aoclaunch.exe", but that is probably:

Windows NT based systems offer the possibility to assign a debugger to any application you want. If you define such a debugger for an application whenever the given application is started, the debugger is started instead. Age of Conan Quick Start assigns kind of a mini debugger to the Age of Conan client. As soon as the ConanPatcher tries to start the Age of Conan client (ageofconan.exe) this mini debugger is launched instead. The mini debugger is able to modify the command line with which the Age of Conan client is started. You can find more information about the used technique here: http://blogs.msdn.com/junfeng/archive/2004/04/28/121871.aspx

No batch file though. Seems legit!

Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #82 on: June 09, 2008, 12:41:51 PM

Uh... that actually DOES tweak my warning bells. It's launching the client (not the launcher) in debug mode, which basically opens it wide to whatever you'd want to do (data collection, etc).  Absolutely hazardous. Sorry. :P I'd caution against using it until/unless they release it in source code format.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 12:44:16 PM by Lum »
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #83 on: June 09, 2008, 12:48:53 PM

Discussion on the AoC forums.

Says that people have used it with packet sniffers to ensure it's not phoning home with passwords.

Of course if I were a black hat, I'd wait 3 weeks, then have them all sent to me at once. But surely no one would be as sneaky as I.

There is an earlier version of it (sans gui) with source posted online. If you want I can compile it for you. I promise I won't take your passwords!  this guy looks legit

Also, apparently all it does is launch a part of Windows Media Player in the background. Apparently something mysterious in WMP makes DirectX apps run faster. No one knows why. It is a mystery. But you can get the same effect just by running WMP in the background.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 12:52:58 PM by Lum »
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: June 09, 2008, 12:52:14 PM

Was just gonna post that. I did check it cause I have ZERO interest in encountering Funcom support squad and didn't find anything in the files that can be malicious / hazardous though.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #85 on: June 09, 2008, 01:34:03 PM

Since it was brought up here - I'm still not finding the mysterious light meter anywhere on the UI.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: June 09, 2008, 01:34:37 PM

Since it was brought up here - I'm still not finding the mysterious light meter anywhere on the UI.

The diamond / crystal right below the minimap.

Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #87 on: June 09, 2008, 03:29:07 PM

Just as a followup, the AOC Quickstart download from Curse includes full Borland Delphi source. I actually own Delphi (what can I say I prefer Pascal to C) and I'm not seeing any now-I-gotcher-password code.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #88 on: June 09, 2008, 06:04:27 PM

It doesn't work for me. Double click exe and not even an hourglass shows up.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: June 10, 2008, 03:19:43 AM

It doesn't work for me. Double click exe and not even an hourglass shows up.

First you install the tool. Then you run the AoC quick start config tool and select your options. Save and run your normal AoC icon, not the one that is in the same folder as AoC quick start config tool.

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: June 10, 2008, 05:40:03 AM

Also, apparently all it does is launch a part of Windows Media Player in the background. Apparently something mysterious in WMP makes DirectX apps run faster. No one knows why. It is a mystery. But you can get the same effect just by running WMP in the background.

From reading about it its MCSS. It basically will allow you to boost your thread priority to cpu/network IO resources.

Mark Russinovich's technical blog article on testing it out.

Note: I haven't sat down and done any testing so it could be totally hogwash. BUT from wiki it *should* only work on Vista.
schild
Administrator

Reply #91 on: June 11, 2008, 04:52:45 AM

More than any of the chat channels. More than the whole of the specific boards. The PVP/Class Specific boards are the single worst place I've ever been to in my entire life. They need to nuke it from orbit. And if you have a single toon on a PVP server, your account should suddenly lose posting rights. Fuck, why does PVP attract incoherent lazy fuckwits who think their opinion matters? Goddamn. Just fucking terrible. I swear to god half of them post more than they play. There are more goddamn PVP posts about this game than there are PvE posts and the server ratio should point to the opposite. What a bunch of depressing fucks. Sure, you can't make everyone happy all the time, but you can't make a PvP type happy ever. EVER.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: June 11, 2008, 05:23:25 AM

I've long been a proponent of nuking all oboards. I'm glad Mythic didn't have them for DAoC. I have yet to see anything positive come from them that wasn't coming in a more professional form from well-managed fan sites.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: June 11, 2008, 06:23:31 AM

I'm requesting a Tip of the Day instead of providing one - where's the best place to go at level 36? For the first time I'm almost dry on quests.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: June 11, 2008, 06:44:19 AM

I'm requesting a Tip of the Day instead of providing one - where's the best place to go at level 36? For the first time I'm almost dry on quests.

Wild Lands / Sanctum instance running. Its awesome XP and there are several quests you get from Zelata that will boost you there.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #95 on: June 11, 2008, 10:36:02 AM

Have you done the Outflow tunnels/Pyramid solo instances? There's some lvl 38 quests in Wildlands with the Nemedians.

-Rasix
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: June 11, 2008, 12:28:07 PM

I did a couple quests in the tunnels last night, but I haven't checked out the pyramid or sanctum. Thanks for the tips.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #97 on: June 11, 2008, 12:40:43 PM

You can't really do sanctum, what saved me was the Noble Old Tarantia district.  It's broken up into different parts so you have to run from place to place to get all the quests but it's worth it.

Yeah killing groups of two or three mobs three levels above you.

photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: June 11, 2008, 03:41:55 PM

Leaping of cliffs / dying as a traveling method is perfectly fine. The death penalty debuff is removed once a quest is delivered. That works for multiple debuffs / turning in multiple quests too.

photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: June 15, 2008, 04:38:54 PM

Clicking on your own unit frame / enemy unit frame displays / hides precentage / HP / Mana numbers.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: June 18, 2008, 11:09:58 AM

How to get rid of the fading splash screens when loading:

It also gets rid of the iritating loading screens between death/resing (if there is nothing to load of course).

Finding the file.

For Windows XP on default install dir:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Funcom\Conan\Prefs\USERNAME

For Windows Vista on default install dir: (Thanks Olib)

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Funcom\Conan\ Prefs\USERNAME\

You will have a file called

Prefs_2.xml

Now open it in a notepad and CTRL+F to find the string of text and copy/paste in the line below

<Value name="SplashScreenFadeInTime" value=

Now hit Find next

There are 2 strings , Fade in time and Fade out time, you need to change the number for both strings

Change the number between the " " to 0 , it should now look like this

<Value name="SplashScreenFadeInTime" value="0" />
<Value name="SplashScreenFadeOutTime" value="0" />

Now save/close it and load the game up and bingo, no more bloody fading splash screens.

I haven't tried this yet, but from all reports it works and will be damn nice on the PVP server imo

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #101 on: June 19, 2008, 10:27:36 AM

The villas in Noble District are now repeatable so if you want to grind some stuff out with a few quests you can do that.  They become available again after a certain number of hours, most seem to think eight hours.  They scale 40-80 so you can do them whenever.  I will probably just run them once a day and slowly get from 71 to 80 while harvesting for my guild's city.  Don't forget the two quests you get from the inn, you will need 380 climbing for one of them.
vex
Terracotta Army

Smock, turban, latex gloves and rubber slippers.

Reply #102 on: June 19, 2008, 11:16:50 AM

The villas in Noble District are now repeatable so if you want to grind some stuff out with a few quests you can do that.  They become available again after a certain number of hours, most seem to think eight hours.  They scale 40-80 so you can do them whenever.  I will probably just run them once a day and slowly get from 71 to 80 while harvesting for my guild's city.  Don't forget the two quests you get from the inn, you will need 380 climbing for one of them.

Nice.  I know it's more for grinding but does the actually quest exp scale at all or is it still 3K or so?

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: June 19, 2008, 11:21:36 AM

What's the highest I need to take my climbing? Seems silly to have such a skill like that which you'd drop in a moment's notice to do anything combat-wise.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #104 on: June 19, 2008, 11:26:01 AM

Nice.  I know it's more for grinding but does the actually quest exp scale at all or is it still 3K or so?

I think they raised the xp last patch, last night I got 12k for each turn in at level 47.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Tip of the Day!  
Jump to: