Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:45:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Phantom: Place your bets. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Phantom: Place your bets.  (Read 7763 times)
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

on: March 25, 2004, 12:10:37 PM

The date of the Phantom Console "e-Commerce Launch" (read:  they'll take your money now, thanks) is still set for March 31, 2004.  The Phantom FAQ is still a 404 error, the product specifications page is still a .gif slideshow of commonly available brand name hardware, and the title list page still asks you to "Please check back to this site at a later date "  I guess maybe you should check again on the 31st just before you give them your money to see what games you'll actually get to play.

Place your bets.   My money is on Infinium pushing back the e-commerce release date sometime between now and the 31st...I'll throw out June 30th as the new date.   Theres really nothing to stop them from taking money even without a product, but so far Infinium Lab's efforts appears to be more aimed at getting the investors' money rather than that of the "customer" base.   Investors are a handful of potential lawsuits; taking money from customers and then not delivering would be a Federal crime and a potential class action lawsuit.

EDIT:  30 days in June...tho June 31st is really just as likely...

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Sloth

Email
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 12:17:08 PM

I can't wait to see what they are going to show off at E3. Or the heckling they get. I still remember the Q&A they held several months ago, when they said The Phantom will eliminate the need for shelf space. Then 3 questions later someone asked "How will players know what games are out?" and the guy responded with something like "They'll be featured on the front page of the network" to which the follow up question was "Isn't that just like shelf space?" and the guy goes "Yeah well there isn't really a way to eliminate the idea of shelf space."

To which I thought Hah, these guys got nothing.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 12:17:10 PM

Can I get odds on 'train wreck of epic proportions'?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 01:03:17 PM

Quote from: WayAbvPar
Can I get odds on 'train wreck of epic proportions'?

Not even Vegas would give you odds on that.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 01:39:43 PM

I'll give you even odds that their E3 booth will have a babe in it.

Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 01:45:37 AM

50 quatloos says they blame their inevitable doom on their Internet detractors.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 08:03:14 AM

Quote from: Alrindel
50 quatloos says they blame their inevitable doom on their Internet detractors.

Plz insert "A COMPANY IS AT STEAK!" where appropriate.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 11:33:31 AM

Before you ask:  I follow this stuff out of morbid curiousity.

Well today is the big day of the e-Commerce launch.  Infinium has decided to celebrate by making no changes to the Phantom website whatsoever.  

There is no announcement about the "e-commerce launch," not even notice of a delay.  The Phantom Pre-order link is unchanged and still doesn't work.  There is no information about hardware specs or planned titles.  A link on the page invites you to join the Phantom forum community, but you have to be a member to view the forum, and the forum is no longer accepting new users.

-Numtini
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 11:39:09 AM

It would be fun to be able to view their forums right now.  I wonder how many morons expected it to show up magically today?
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 12:22:36 PM

My bad.  There is an animated .gif slideshow of planned titles on the main page now.  Squinting and watching it over and over, I have discerned the following release titles.

Lemonade Tycoon
Chessmate
Learn to Read
ABC of Dr. Seuss
Green Eggs and Ham
I-Spy
some Clifford game.

I wonder if Green Eggs and Ham has a campaign mode.  I hope Learn to Read is multiplayer.

-Numtini
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 12:25:37 PM

Yea, I posted that list on wt.o. I think that I-Spy is infiniums nth generation mmo.
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 01, 2004, 08:13:47 AM

Perhaps the e-commerce launch is meant to describe the opening of their Cafexpress line of t-shirts, mousepads, mugs, and even a thong featuring the phantom logo.

This one is going to be fun to watch. With that portfolio of titles, this thing can't fail. Anyone up for creating a F13.net Lemonade Tycoon gaming group?

A good idea is a good idea forever.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 10:50:31 AM

I'll take you all on in a deathmatch game of "Learn to Read".  Would be a good challenge for some of us.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 11:09:54 AM

I was hoping I'd wake up today and Infinium would announce it was all an elaborate April 1st joke. Imagine my surprise when it wasn't and that rotating .gif is still there. Ugh.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 02, 2004, 05:50:40 AM

More:

The most recent bit of news about Phantom indicates that they would be at the January CES.  According to this listing of exhibitors, however, there was no Infinium Labs at the show.  Nor was there anything under "Phantom."

Anyone here who was at the show who can confirm or deny their presence?  This is getting too easy.

EDIT:  I see that it was in fact there.  At least, something looking like a Phantom was there.  It was not turned on or demonstrated in any way.

-Numtini
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 19, 2004, 10:12:48 AM

tehehehee.  

Both the infinium labs website and the phantom website have been changed to -->this.<--

It pronounces that we will all become converts, although it gives no indication why.  Maybe missing multiple release dates without explanation is some new, uncharted path into the fanboi psyche. Unsurprisingly, they've given themselves three weeks to prepare an explanation.

-Numtini
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #16 on: April 19, 2004, 10:17:03 AM

Quote from: Mesozoic
Maybe missing multiple release dates without explanation is some new, uncharted path into the fanboi psyche.

Well, it almost worked for Shadowbane and Daikatana.

daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 19, 2004, 10:18:24 AM

Quote from: Mesozoic
Unsurprisingly, they've given themselves three weeks to prepare an explanation.

It will probably take them that long to read Flash for Dummies.
Anonymous

Email
Reply #18 on: April 19, 2004, 10:47:36 AM

Well, at least I won't be their bitch.  That's something
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 19, 2004, 11:13:23 AM

Quote from: Soulflame
Well, at least I won't be their bitch.  That's something

I don't get their business model: Why would anyone buy a fugly box for parlor game subscriptions when they can get that for their PCs today?

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Phantom: Place your bets.  
Jump to: