Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:33:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: N00b needs help badly 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: N00b needs help badly  (Read 10293 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: May 21, 2008, 06:54:38 PM

Okay I just started playing a few hours ago and things were going fine on my this guy looks legit Shaman until I hit level 9 and now it's like ZOMG WTF PWN'D ACK! anytime I have a 2 on 1 (or more). 1 on 1s I can handle fine even against things slightly higher than me. Is that just the way things are at this level or is my class gimped or am I doing something wrong?

For the combat itself, are you supposed to be blocking and futzing with your shields or does it really not matter this early on?
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 06:56:19 PM

I can't speak to the shaman much, but as for the shields, no, don't bother futzing with them.  I think that's probably only for more high-end stuff, or if you are an extreme badass in pvp and can predict what combos your opponent will use.  I haven't changed them once thus far in 27 levels.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 06:58:07 PM

HOLY SHIT TRIPPY IS PLAYING.

I haven't played a Shaman, but it's pretty awesome you're playing. That's all.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 07:12:23 PM

Okay I just started playing a few hours ago and things were going fine on my this guy looks legit Shaman until I hit level 9 and now it's like ZOMG WTF PWN'D ACK! anytime I have a 2 on 1 (or more). 1 on 1s I can handle fine even against things slightly higher than me. Is that just the way things are at this level or is my class gimped or am I doing something wrong?

For the combat itself, are you supposed to be blocking and futzing with your shields or does it really not matter this early on?

your gimped tell about 20

keep your heals up while fighting, you should have 2 by now.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:04:45 PM

I'm not sure why you are so surprised I'm playing. I've played every major NA subscription MMORPG in beta or release except for Lineage II.

Okay thanks. I'm 10 right now and only have one small HoT so far.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 08:09:32 PM

Trippy, bear shamans are super hard to play until 20. Do not quit. You get a minor break at 15 or 16. Spend as much time as possible in night time.

They get amazingly good at 20 and only get better from that point on. They are one of the strongest classes 50+.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 08:10:06 PM

I'm not sure why you are so surprised I'm playing. I've played every major NA subscription MMORPG in beta or release except for Lineage II.

Okay thanks. I'm 10 right now and only have one small HoT so far.

The is one that puts a HoT on your group on after your next melee attack, I usually put that up before I go into a fight and the other is called blood wave or some such and I wait tell I've hit something to cast it because the feats I took. Later you get a direct group heal that is good in a pinch. Itemization seems kinda lackluster for us atm, most quest reward weapons were useless. The Archsomething Ruins is a good place to get a decent weapon, pictish war club that I was using tell I got a blue quest reward.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 08:17:47 PM

Trippy, bear shamans are super hard to play until 20. Do not quit. You get a minor break at 15 or 16. Spend as much time as possible in night time.
Phooey. Why couldn't I have picked an Easy Mode class? Night time is when I got stuck. I entered it early (like 5 or 6) and it was going fine until I got to the volcano mission (with the fucking DT) and had to try and fight pairs of 9s at level 9 and gave up after dying 5 or 6 times. Now I'm back in daytime doing the various quests so I can level up and go back in.

They get amazingly good at 20 and only get better from that point on. They are one of the strongest classes 50+.
Well that's something to look forward to.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 05:56:09 AM

Phooey. Why couldn't I have picked an Easy Mode class? Night time is when I got stuck. I entered it early (like 5 or 6) and it was going fine until I got to the volcano mission (with the fucking DT) and had to try and fight pairs of 9s at level 9 and gave up after dying 5 or 6 times. Now I'm back in daytime doing the various quests so I can level up and go back in.

Well that's something to look forward to.

Night time scales to your level. sad

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 06:12:38 AM

It does? When I went back in at 13 the Volcano stuff was still at 9 and I was finally able to finish that part so at least that part didn't rescale itself. The next mission had double 12s which were a fricking pain in the ass even at 14 and the cellar had 2 or 3 12s or 13s (and the occassionally minion) per wave which was also a fricking PITA. So those were both close to my level. I've never died so much in an MMORPG before.
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 06:15:47 AM

I don't remember it scaling either.

I remember it being hard and coming back later at a few points.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 06:18:09 AM

It does? When I went back in at 13 the Volcano stuff was still at 9 and I was finally able to finish that part so at least that part didn't rescale itself. The next mission had double 12s which were a fricking pain in the ass even at 14 and the cellar had 2 or 3 12s or 13s (and the occassionally minion) per wave which was also a fricking PITA. So those were both close to my level. I've never died so much in an MMORPG before.

Perhaps its because you already stated the instance. I just know i didn't start mine till about 13, and all the mobs were 13. Even went back to it again for another part (whole different quest, same chain, night time stuff) and the mobs were now my level, only exceptions were groups of two were slightly bellow me, and groups of 4 were 3 to 4 levels bellow me.....but there were 4 of them.

Most instance in the game seem to scale to your level.. But once you enter an instance....its "bound" to that state. It takes a bit to learn the combat system, and just about every encounter i have been in has been a challenge. But its seems casters of any type just have it worse than Melee...for now that is. To many damage types and what not for it to say that way.

I can somewhat confirm all this, because when i went into the night time in OB, everything was level 6ish, like i was.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 06:19:45 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 07:00:58 AM

In the line of dumb questions, I am a Priestess of Mithra and I get the white thingies are the opponent shielding, but suddenly yellow ones have started to flash on and off. What are those? I don't have any combos that I'm aware of and I'm certainly not hitting any intentionally.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 07:02:15 AM

Are they your shields?
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 07:22:18 AM

The yellow shields flashing around your own character indicates on which side the opponents are hitting you, I believe.

Oh, and here's another tip: There's an "Master/Apprentice"-system in the game. If you're a few levels short of joining your friends on a dungeon rump or whatever, get one of them to right-click on your healthbar and take you on as an apprentice (while grouped, I think). You'll get your level boosted to within 1 level of theirs, and your hitpoints and stats are boosted. You won't get any new abilities from this temporary boost in level, but your existing ones will scale up somewhat and you'll still do a reasonable amount of damage.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 07:31:45 AM

In the line of dumb questions, I am a Priestess of Mithra and I get the white thingies are the opponent shielding, but suddenly yellow ones have started to flash on and off. What are those? I don't have any combos that I'm aware of and I'm certainly not hitting any intentionally.

They are your shields, or directions of protection. They can be changed by holding CTRL, and hitting 1,2, or 3.

Basically press the one you want to move (1,2,3) then where you want to move it (1,2,3). While holding CTRL.

EXAMPLE: you want 3 all on the right. you would hit CTRL - 1 then 3, 2 then 3 = all 3 on the right.

I believe that the yellow flash is an indicator that your shield has mitigated damage on that side, not that you necessarily got hit on that side.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 07:36:24 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 07:38:09 AM

Help this noob too:

What the HELL is Defense Proficiency? And WHY you can't see your Def Prof total anywhere?

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 07:41:10 AM

Also, learn to use your double taps.

If in melee, double tap forward and you'll get a short 'momentum' buff that increases your next attack to do its damage/effect + stun.  Double tapping left, right, or backwards gives you a short evasion buff that increases your defense.  Keep in mind that these double taps use up stamina.

Another point of interest is the 'active blocking' using 'X'.  Keep stocked on foods, drink, and potions for health and stamina.  

But yeah, as mentioned BS is fairly weak up until 20.  The volcano was pretty much an exercise in futility for me as a caster (Demo), compounded by the fact my minion did fuck all for damage.  Took me some perserverance but got through it.  Getting a ToS and Demo to 20 took some time, and pretty much reinforced the fact I play better as a strict melee prof (Barbarian).
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 07:43:30 AM

Help this noob too:

What the HELL is Defense Proficiency? And WHY you can't see your Def Prof total anywhere?

I think its directly linked to the effectiveness of the shields. (not hand shields but the ones in my previous post).

Thats completely theoretic on my part. But there is defense, as base "armor" class like number. This leads me to think that the defense proficiency is related to the shield system, due to the shields do not 100% mitigate damage.

ADD:
They only blip yellow some times. Up your defense proficiency, and they will blip more.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 07:50:42 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 07:46:02 AM

It's 1998 all over again if we have to figure all that shit out by ourselves. I like it. FUNCOM iz Old Skool!

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 10:31:56 AM

While it is a pain in the ass to learn new things, it does build and bind the community quickly.

I have never played WoW.
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 10:33:25 AM

I like making Nerf earn his own way. No twinking from Schild.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 10:38:38 AM

It's 1998 all over again if we have to figure all that shit out by ourselves. I like it. FUNCOM iz Old Skool!

Every third msg in ooc is "how do i add someone to my friends list".

I am the .00000001428%
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 10:40:14 AM

Yeah, everyone skipped the UI tutorial posted in the log in screen. I don't blame funcom for this one.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 22, 2008, 11:36:39 AM

In early beta, none of the quest giving NPCs had !s over their heads or were highlighted on the minimap.

Quest goal locations (where to find the monsters or the meat cleaver and shit) weren't marked on the map either. In fact the map was awful.

9/10 posts on the forum were complaining about these things, so it all changed.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008, 11:39:13 AM

Or climb.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: N00b needs help badly  
Jump to: