Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:14:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Classes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Classes  (Read 63478 times)
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 20, 2008, 12:21:17 PM

Given the number of things I've killed and the number of rare drops I've gotten, I'd say the loot system is still shitty. I've just gotten lucky with the VERY few drops I've gotten I guess.

I've gotten blues from quests only, have you gotten blue drops?  I usually ignore all looted armor since I havn't seen anything good yet.

There is a merchant by the docks in Tortage that sells blue chestpieces and various green weapons and armor for cheap. Level 10 stuff though.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #36 on: May 20, 2008, 01:09:25 PM

Err... I got a green lvl 50 weapon (I think?!), and it was only in the intro, killing those picts. Is that normal?

This game feels like dungeon seige a little... with a wow interface. It runs like fuck, even windowed.

Anyways, I'm playing a PoM at the moment. I one and two shot everything. Strange.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 20, 2008, 02:34:22 PM

Yeah, so I think I figured out the bizarre level requirements thing.  When it says "requires level 50" it means that for YOU it requires level 50.  So a dagger might give your priest of mitra a level 50 requirement, because that's when a priest of mitra learns the dagger skill.  But that same weapon will appear to have no requirement for an assassin.

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure that's what's going on.
schild
Administrator

Reply #38 on: May 20, 2008, 02:34:53 PM

You nailed it. Figured that out about an hour ago. >_>
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 20, 2008, 07:33:13 PM

My new weapons!  Badass.
schild
Administrator

Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 07:43:34 PM

Yea, I decided to go poison instead of unholy and I'm killing a lot faster now. Where did you get those from?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 20, 2008, 09:00:24 PM

Lotus tree is great.  Take vile poisons over rot.

Those are off the 2nd to last boss in Sanctum of the Souls in the wildlands.   level 38-40 dungeon.
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: May 20, 2008, 09:03:04 PM

He drops two of them? Or I have to run it twice?

I'm doing flesh rot AND vile. I mean, why not.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #43 on: May 21, 2008, 08:54:07 AM

I don't know if it's just due to my computer running so shitty, but I like range better in this game. Right now, my only range class is priest of mistra. Not the most ideal caster of course... But even so, I kill faster with him than my conqueror. I might just roll a full blown caster or ranger later...

Also playing herald of xotli. It's a little bugged -- everytime I get out of demon form, my character is bald. Also, the fire effects from some of my spells occassionally linger on me until I log off or zone out.

As for the class, I'm still a noob, but the demon form rocks. Otherwise, it's a very squishy class for melee. You get some close range dot spells and stuff like that, but they're pretty slow to cast. The conqueror can tear through shit in half the time.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 21, 2008, 09:01:00 AM

I don't know if it's just due to my computer running so shitty, but I like range better in this game. Right now, my only range class is priest of mistra. Not the most ideal caster of course... But even so, I kill faster with him than my conqueror. I might just roll a full blown caster or ranger later...

Also playing herald of xotli. It's a little bugged -- everytime I get out of demon form, my character is bald. Also, the fire effects from some of my spells occassionally linger on me until I log off or zone out.

As for the class, I'm still a noob, but the demon form rocks. Otherwise, it's a very squishy class for melee. You get some close range dot spells and stuff like that, but they're pretty slow to cast. The conqueror can tear through shit in half the time.

Like with all classes, the trick is to go in and out of combat. Don't just stand there like in other games. Keep moving. Step back when in a grouped and take a breath (in combat healing is NOT pointless in this game, and you will recover rather fast). The demon form is really about a lot of damage quickly, then get the hell out.

Not saying you didn't know, or are not doing this, just trying to give tips.

Random thoughts: I fear a lot of people (i know first hand) are approaching this game like other MMO's and suffering for it. I sat and watched a friends GF play last night, she grew up on wow (as far as MMO "career") and she would die very very quickly, because she had been so indoctrinated to "stand and spam" gameplay.

Movement, position, and situational awareness matter with all the classes.

EDIT: oh, and potions. Use'em, love'em.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 09:04:04 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Vanifae
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 21, 2008, 09:01:24 AM

I tried Conqueror very fun class but a little too squishy for my tastes so I went back to Guardian, in my heart I love tanking and wearing big bulky armor and beating my enemies with my shield.  So hopefully I get some sweet shield bashing in soon enough!

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 21, 2008, 09:03:00 AM

I tried Conqueror very fun class but a little too squishy for my tastes so I went back to Guardian, in my heart I love tanking and wearing big bulky armor and beating my enemies with my shield.  So hopefully I get some sweet shield bashing in soon enough!

The knock arounds on that class are really fun in PvP. Really fun.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #47 on: May 21, 2008, 09:03:58 AM

Like with all classes, the trick is to go in and out of combat. Don't just stand there like in other games. Keep moving. Step back when in a grouped and take a breath (in combat healing is NOT pointless in this game, and you will recover rather fast). The demon form is really about a lot of damage quickly, then get the hell out.

Not saying you didn't know, or are not doing this, just trying to give tips. I fear alot of people (i know first hand) are approaching this game like other MMO's and suffering for it. I sat and watched a friends GF play last night, she grew up on wow (as far as MMO "career") and she would die very very quickly, because she had been so indoctrinated to "stand and spam" gameplay.

Movement, position, and situational awareness matter with all the classes.

EDIT: oh, and potions. Use'em, love'em.

Oh, I'm not dying too much...Yet. It's just that in comparison with Conqueror, he's nothing. And as a caster, even my priest would kick his ass.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

As for knockarounds, the PoM gets a cool AoE one.

I'm not playing this like an mmo (hell, I try not to even play mmo's like mmo's).... It's got (kind of) an action rpg feel to it. I made a comparison to dungeon seige (or diablo or titan quest) yesterday. It feels more like that than WoW (although the interface is totally stripped from WoW).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 09:07:01 AM by Stray »
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 21, 2008, 11:02:00 AM

Guardians have AOE knockdowns with both 1H/Shield AND Polearms (forgot what level you get them, you'll have them both by 20).

Since you can switch weapons in combat, you can run in with Polearm, knockdown, AOE them while they are on the ground, switch to 1H/Shield when they get up, knock them down again, then finish them off.

All attacks seem to be cone-area-of-effect based, so even with 1 hand attacks you can hit 2+ mobs at the same time depending on where you are facing when you swing. I use mouselook to face directly between 2 mobs (sticky camera during combat keeps forcing me to look at targeted mob) this way ensuring I usually hit both mobs with each swing.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #49 on: May 21, 2008, 11:19:43 AM

You can click off auto target select in the options.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #50 on: May 21, 2008, 11:34:10 AM

Auto target is nice, I think your thinking of Autoface target, which can also be turned off.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #51 on: May 21, 2008, 11:39:37 AM

Yeah that's what I meant.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #52 on: May 21, 2008, 11:58:25 AM

I need some help from the higher level guys.

I cant decide what class to play, and its driving me insane. Right now its a toss up between Dark Templar, Barbarian and HoX.

I played a Barb in beta, and had fun with him even though they where gimped. They are now fixed, but almost to strong I hear, and probably have a nerf incoming. Plus I dont really like the look of the light armor they get from the few pictures I saw, but I did want to use a h2.

The Dark Templar is cool with all the life taps and stuff, but I hear they are really bad in PVP, and I want to do some PVP. But I love the look of the class, and the "evil" feel.

As for the HoX, it has the 2h weapon that I like, and the evil feel of the DT, I just dont know much about the class as to if it would fit my play style.

Can anyone give me any input on these 3 classes.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 12:22:06 PM

One of the things I learned while playing SWG .. it doesn't really matter *what* class you play, they are all nerfed or overpowered at random intervals throughout the game's life. Just pick something you enjoy and hope that class doesn't get nerfed or gets buffed as the case may be.

- Viin
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #54 on: May 21, 2008, 12:23:35 PM

I need some help from the higher level guys.

I cant decide what class to play, and its driving me insane. Right now its a toss up between Dark Templar, Barbarian and HoX.

I played a Barb in beta, and had fun with him even though they where gimped. They are now fixed, but almost to strong I hear, and probably have a nerf incoming. Plus I dont really like the look of the light armor they get from the few pictures I saw, but I did want to use a h2.

The Dark Templar is cool with all the life taps and stuff, but I hear they are really bad in PVP, and I want to do some PVP. But I love the look of the class, and the "evil" feel.

As for the HoX, it has the 2h weapon that I like, and the evil feel of the DT, I just dont know much about the class as to if it would fit my play style.

Can anyone give me any input on these 3 classes.

I think I'm just going to reroll my Conq to Barb (again). Fug it if they're going to get nerfed. Probably won't happen any time soon.. I'm sure Funcom has more to worry about right now.

[edit] I'm still a noob HoX, but basically, it's a cloth wearing 2 hand (preferably) fighter with dots. While fighting minions, you'll be going down on health just a little more than the average melee class. When you encounter bosses and their groups, you get into demon mode for insane 25 sec burst damage.

So far, I'm not really liking it myself. The demon mode is cool, but rest of the spellls feel like a chore when playing melee. I know this game is all about hybrids, but I want to minimize hybridization as much as possible (for that reason, I'lll probably be moving from Conq to Barb too).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 12:36:58 PM by Stray »
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #55 on: May 21, 2008, 12:36:51 PM

All attacks seem to be cone-area-of-effect based, so even with 1 hand attacks you can hit 2+ mobs at the same time depending on where you are facing when you swing.

Fuck. That right there might sell me. I dream of a game with no lock on targeting.

I have never played WoW.
schild
Administrator

Reply #56 on: May 21, 2008, 12:38:37 PM

All attacks seem to be cone-area-of-effect based, so even with 1 hand attacks you can hit 2+ mobs at the same time depending on where you are facing when you swing.

Fuck. That right there might sell me. I dream of a game with no lock on targeting.

Some attacks, VERY FEW, have one target, like a crossbow/arrow attack (duh?). But swinging your sword will hit everything in that swing range. Also, I've fatalitied more than one person at once, gutting 2 people in a row in one move, etc.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 21, 2008, 12:43:19 PM

He drops two of them? Or I have to run it twice?

I'm doing flesh rot AND vile. I mean, why not.

We ran it twice.  Mostly the same loot drops each time.

I tested out flesh rot.  With a stack of 5 debuffs, and grim corruption and the feat being 5/5 I was doing 31 damage a tick (yawn).
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 21, 2008, 12:44:30 PM

Some attacks, VERY FEW, have one target, like a crossbow/arrow attack (duh?). But swinging your sword will hit everything in that swing range. Also, I've fatalitied more than one person at once, gutting 2 people in a row in one move, etc.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Heart
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #59 on: May 21, 2008, 12:45:36 PM

What is the HP scale like in this game? How long does a face to face melee fight last in PvE against equal level mob? Fuckity fuck fuck I didn't want to buy this.

I have never played WoW.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 21, 2008, 12:47:35 PM

Assassins are still gimp in pvp.  I couldn't out dps a Bear Shaman's HOTs last night.  It made me very sad.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: May 21, 2008, 12:49:08 PM

What is the HP scale like in this game? How long does a face to face melee fight last in PvE against equal level mob? Fuckity fuck fuck I didn't want to buy this.

Are you familiar with WOW?  We 3-man the first group dungeon twice in about 2.5 hours.   PVE is fast and fun.  It's soooo good.  I'm turning into a fanboy real quick, but it actually feels like youre in the game due to the fact you control everything your character does.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #62 on: May 21, 2008, 12:51:54 PM

Conq (lvl 7 now): Hmmm. Could be a cool class, I haven't logged him in since I found you could distribute skill points (LOL I know I fail). Pretty fun, but hard to tell how he will turn out this early on.

Tempest of Set (level 13): I'm good with my root and scoot tactics but I get overpowered semi easily by a 2-3 mobs. I have learned to sprint my ass off out of fights, cause I'm pretty much paper (as to be expected). I'm guessing when I get a touch more CC I'll be pretty sick, but I'm just not sure yet. Doesn't feel OP. The healing is pretty weak...but as long as you have time to prep the HoT before a tougher fight, it helps a bit. The other heal I have is pretty sub par. My guess is once I get a lot specced into Lightning I'm going to be an AoE death machine.

I like the fact that I can use a polearm on my ToS. Those things can lay some decent hurt. Sword and shield can help for tougher fights as well.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 21, 2008, 01:10:26 PM

this guy looks legit Shaman is fun so far. I'm not totally over the top overpowered like a lot of the caster classes seem to be, it has similarities to a eq1 shaman except with melee instead of doting. at 19 I have a group hot that is activated on my next attack, 15 second cd. A cone HoT that lasts 30 seconds(I have a feat that gives this one a direct heal at the end if I'm attacking something when I cast it) and a group direct heal that puts a weakened soul type effect on anyone healed by it. For attacks I have a bleed effect, 2 knock back effects, a few generic combo attacks. I also have a taunt ability, that says I should be able to tank in a limited fashion. Of the 3 buffs I have one Increases hp the other two have damage reduction effects with a procs that can further reduce damage.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #64 on: May 21, 2008, 01:15:57 PM

Hah,  Pedo Shaman made me laugh.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 21, 2008, 03:42:36 PM

Is there an allakhazam/thottbot/wowhead/uostratics-type place I can go to see spells, skills, feats, classes etc in some detail? I need to plot out my joyless number-crunching while I am downloading this uberpatch. It's my biggest joy in any game.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: May 21, 2008, 03:47:16 PM

Is there an allakhazam/thottbot/wowhead/uostratics-type place I can go to see spells, skills, feats, classes etc in some detail? I need to plot out my joyless number-crunching while I am downloading this uberpatch. It's my biggest joy in any game.

http://www.wikiaoc.com/The-Age-of-Conan-Wiki

Best we have so far. The catasses haven't got around to parsing combat logs yet so no detailed info yet.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: May 21, 2008, 03:56:03 PM

http://www.wikiaoc.com/The-Age-of-Conan-Wiki

Best we have so far. The catasses haven't got around to parsing combat logs yet so no detailed info yet.

BUT WHAT IF MY STAT ALLOCATION MEANS I DO 3% FEWER DPS!!!??! /cut /cut

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: May 21, 2008, 09:08:15 PM

Conqueror's rule.  Me and the wife are putzing around in White Sands and we get overwhelmed by like 6 gorillas. She's a Priest of Mitra, I'm a Conqueror. I try to keep her alive but a couple of gorillas smack her down. I pop a potion and try to take down as many as I can when she goes "woah". All of a sudden she's back up and healing me.

Turns out Conquerors have a passive ability called Furious Inspiration that acts as a passive heal or rez on a proc chance. That was just 100% pure Colombian awesome.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #69 on: May 22, 2008, 03:24:36 AM

Tempest of Set (level 13): I'm good with my root and scoot tactics but I get overpowered semi easily by a 2-3 mobs. I have learned to sprint my ass off out of fights, cause I'm pretty much paper (as to be expected). I'm guessing when I get a touch more CC I'll be pretty sick, but I'm just not sure yet. Doesn't feel OP. The healing is pretty weak...but as long as you have time to prep the HoT before a tougher fight, it helps a bit. The other heal I have is pretty sub par. My guess is once I get a lot specced into Lightning I'm going to be an AoE death machine.

I like the fact that I can use a polearm on my ToS. Those things can lay some decent hurt. Sword and shield can help for tougher fights as well.

Quoting this to update on my ToS experience:
I am 37 now and the Tempest of Set feels more OP with every new batch of spell upgrades I get. When I thought I was a powerhouse, I got a new uberpowerful trick. Maybe it's me, used to crappy classes in other games, but the ToS keeps giving me plenty of satisfaction as I can mow through waves and adds of mobs 3 levels higher than me with no problem (and lots of XP). Surprise: right now (but I guess that will change back somwhere in the future with more feat points spent on it), I am not even using lighting strike anymore, and I still rule over the masses. Great, powerful and fun class.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Classes  
Jump to: