Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:54:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Let's be MORE Useful! Things you don't like! 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's be MORE Useful! Things you don't like!  (Read 127124 times)
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: May 24, 2008, 10:27:37 AM

Waggling the mouse to use somthing? The gear icon appears just above your hotbar if you get close to somthing you can use.

Yes, the problem is it doesn't appear and I'm waggling the mouse around to find the sweet spot where it does.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: May 24, 2008, 11:07:50 AM

I had that too.  Even clicking on the loot bag with the mouse only workled sporadicly.

Not exactly game breaking but really annoying.

Hic sunt dracones.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #177 on: May 24, 2008, 11:11:25 AM

If an item I'm supposed to find doesn't have a glow or wavy lines or something, I tend to miss it.  Targeting them is difficult too, sometimes.  Once in a while I turn in a certain direction and get the symbol at the bottom of my screen and can use the U button, but that doesn't always happen.  It's all very inconsistent and I agree it needs more attention to detail and polish.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: May 24, 2008, 01:53:15 PM

The jumping is kind of annoying, it is one of the few graphical aspects of the game that does feel unpolished. Several times I've tried to jump over a relatively low wall right in front of me and got an odd "hanging in the air" glitched animation, where if I go back a few feet I can clear it easily. Small fences of the same height I can jump over in some situations but can't seem to in others.

Of course it is a very minor nitpick. After upgrading my video card I've been extremely impressed with the graphics. I'd say the animation is just fine on average too.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #179 on: May 24, 2008, 02:37:59 PM

an odd "hanging in the air" glitched animation

I get that!  I thought I was just awesome!   Ohhhhh, I see.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #180 on: May 24, 2008, 03:21:18 PM

This is going to a long list, but I do like the game.  To me, it is lacking a lot of polish.  Part of the problem is that I'm coming from a game that launched with a great deal of polish and continually added more over the past what.. 3 years?   Game generally feels like it's out of beta about 2-3 months too soon.

Minor quibbles:
- "/" does not go automatically to chat.
- Lack of combat log filtering.  I have yet to see how to do this, but I want to just see what I'm doing, not what everyone else is doing.
- Jumping animation is crap.  I'm one of those jacktards that likes to pogo stick around.
- Beginning (level 10-20) armor looks pretty crappy.  Most of my character look like hobos. 
- Non glowing quest ground spawns.  Yikes.  Hard to find.  Luckily I've only seen this a few times.

Greater annoyances:
-Broken quests in the Tortage night.  Renton quest I had to bypass completely. This is annoying because you miss out on a good chunk of exp and likely a nicer looking item.
-Some classes feel extremely gimpy early on.  Most cloth classes have terribly survivability due to a number of factors.  HoX must be hell to play and I hear leveling a Bearshaman to 20 is pure pain..  A lack of early variety and spell upgrades can hurt.    A lot of this could be the complete reworking of a commoner -> more specialized -> even more specialized early game.
-As a Demonologist, your beginning spells do not scale very well as you level up.  You go from one shotting everything to having to hit an even con with your main nuke 7 times to drown it.
-THE PERFORMANCE.  Good god, I do not have a bad computer.  8800GT 512MB, 2 gigs ram, and a Pentium D (dual core) 3.0Ghz. Processor and HD are likely my weakest link, but this machine even ran The Witcher well (ram upgrades and vid card upgrades prompted by the game).  I've had to turn a lot of stuff completey off and down.  Texture cache is maxed and view quality at 0 so most effects look like dog crap. 

This will be the deal breaker for me.  I can go play WoW and get 60 frames in a 25 man raid.  This game just sputters.  I get these damn hitches every so often that bring my 30-50 FPS down to low teen or single digits for a moment.  Incredibly annoying and the game has gone from looking pretty good to looking somewhat bland.  The character models still look great, but I've had to really turn off a lot of what made the game world look great.

Updating drivers and defragging, but I think this needs Funcom to further optimize their client or I'll be done before the first month is up.   

- I really looks like there's going to be a lack of healers and tanks.  They are not sexy classes at all. Whether or not this becomes a problem remains to be seen, but you pretty much need the tank/healer for most higher end PVP, because for the most part MMO designers can't get beyond this paradigm.  I've played healing classes pretty much exclusively in WoW (not always as a healer) but I don't find the PoS or PoM interesting at all.   They should likely give healing spells to one of the clothies.

- My pet is pretty fucking useless so far as demo. Long ass cast times, terrible damage, terrible buff,  and as ranged, I don't see how it can be an effective tank at all.  I know this is going to sound less than heterosexual, but can we put some undies on it? My wife isn't going to be too pleased the first time she sees my tittie demon pet.

There is other shit they need to fix.  But the real only huge enjoyment dampener is the client performance.  Otherwise, I can see me putting WoW on hold until the expansion for this game. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 03:37:07 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #181 on: May 24, 2008, 03:30:00 PM

I'll agree on most of that, but I happen to like the beginning armor. Hobos have never looked better. I like all of the armor. That's just how conan stuff looks (i.e. a mixture of bronze age as well as high fantasy styling).
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #182 on: May 24, 2008, 03:35:59 PM

When you are in a group of six and need to burn twenty tents and someone burns one it should count for everyone damn it.  Having six people desperately running around as the tents come back is completely absurd.

I also just found out that if you die on a "kill so and so" quest you don't get credit, even if you don't release.  Insanity.

- My pet is pretty fucking useless so far as demo. Long ass cast times, terrible damage, terrible buff,  and as ranged, I don't see how it can be an effective tank at all.  I know this is going to sound less than heterosexual, but can we put some undies on it? My wife isn't going to be too pleased the first time she sees my tittie demon pet.
It is my understanding that pets are mostly for buffs and don't really serve much of a purpose themselves.  The early buffs are pretty sucky.  Once in a while a necro can randomly get a good dps pet but it goes away I think.  The stupid things also can't cross water, follow through zone changes etc.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: May 24, 2008, 03:36:23 PM

All of the priests are healers, but only 1 of them focuses on healing. As a ToS my mail spells are damage but I have a couple of party healing spells too... so really it's a mage/healer hybrid.

- Viin
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #184 on: May 24, 2008, 03:48:53 PM

PoM can dish it out too (well, they could). I think everything in here is pretty much a hybrid, except Assassin, Guard, and Barb.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #185 on: May 24, 2008, 04:48:36 PM

PoM seems to dish out better than heal.  I'm not finding it great.  I didn't like barbarian much, either.  I'll get my PoM to 20, just to do it, and then I'll try something else.

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #186 on: May 24, 2008, 04:58:14 PM

- "/" does not go automatically to chat.
Which / ? The only straightforward / key on my Norwegian keyboard is on the numpad, and it takes me into chat automatically.
- Lack of combat log filtering.  I have yet to see how to do this, but I want to just see what I'm doing, not what everyone else is doing.
Create a new chat-window specifically for combat, right click it, select "Subscribe Channels" then select which combat messages to display. Also, remove them from main chat window if they're not automatically done when creating the combat channel.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Rasix

Reply #187 on: May 24, 2008, 06:40:33 PM

Create a new chat-window specifically for combat, right click it, select "Subscribe Channels" then select which combat messages to display. Also, remove them from main chat window if they're not automatically done when creating the combat channel.

Just saw that today.  Guess I just didn't know where to look to adjust the filtering.

The "/" in question is the one that shares space with "?" (? is shift /).  The numpad one works, but I've tradionally used the keyboard does not.

-Rasix
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: May 24, 2008, 07:39:55 PM

This will be the deal breaker for me.  I can go play WoW and get 60 frames in a 25 man raid.  This game just sputters.  I get these damn hitches every so often that bring my 30-50 FPS down to low teen or single digits for a moment.  Incredibly annoying and the game has gone from looking pretty good to looking somewhat bland.  The character models still look great, but I've had to really turn off a lot of what made the game world look great.

Did you try rebooting right before you play? That is a perfect description of the problems I've had. Pretty much, I can't run anything that invokes 3d whatsoever or it does this. Reboot and it's fine again.

On level 20, there was something that once you'd done it, you didn't have to do it again and again. Is that the case or was that something that disappeared.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Rasix

Reply #189 on: May 25, 2008, 12:28:08 AM

Did you try rebooting right before you play? That is a perfect description of the problems I've had. Pretty much, I can't run anything that invokes 3d whatsoever or it does this. Reboot and it's fine again.

Rebooting did zip.

20 FPS in Khopesh.  WTF.  At least the non sputtering parts of Tortage were 30-50 FPS.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #190 on: May 25, 2008, 01:18:21 AM

My lowest FPS comes in Khopesh. On both the old and new card.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: May 25, 2008, 03:50:45 AM

All of the priests are healers, but only 1 of them focuses on healing. As a ToS my mail spells are damage but I have a couple of party healing spells too... so really it's a mage/healer hybrid.

I didn't have a problem solo healing the level 40 instanced we 4 manned last night as a bear shaman.
Hound
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: May 25, 2008, 04:19:53 AM

too much zoning
very linear with not a lot of freedom as far as movement or game play

the game reminds me of CoX with swords and sorcery. That is not a bad thing I suppose, however I doubt it will retain me past the free 30

Given the number of failures we've seen in MMORPGs, designers need to learn it's hard enough just to make a fun game without getting distracted by unnecessary drivel.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: May 25, 2008, 10:47:22 AM

Tortage. Oh, my God, what horrible first experience. The day quests feel like filler just to get you levelled up enough to get the night quests done. I don't think I'll ever roll an alt in this game.

Compartmentalisation. I get why (I don't, really, I just wrote that to seem understanding), but it's still not fun. Especially not as you get ganked near the spawn points, then the ganker jumps to another instance of the zone and you have no idea which.

Exploration. This game has seemingly none.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #194 on: May 25, 2008, 11:16:37 AM

Unpolished as in:

- Client is shit-ptimezed. Works great for many, stutters like hell for lots of people with far better machines. That can be a deal breaker as no one likes stuttering and low fps anymore, especially when your machine is a beast.

- Equipment is a joke. Stat-wise AND look wise. Believe it or not but at lev 49 I am wearing the same identical sandals I got at level 5 (only they are level 46), same identical skirt (only this is level 44) and a blood-curdled shirt which looks like a level 1 piece of garment. Up to level 47 I had a shirt identical to level 1 kind (only with a level 46 min. req.).
On the weapon department I have a blue hammer which has the identical model/texture of a level 18 quest reward (and a many other 1h hammer I looted later), or I can switch to a polearm which is just a lance identical to the level 16 kind. It doesn't matter what level you are, up to level 50 you keep wearing the same shit with slightly different stats. Not sure if it changes later. Five years in development and it looks like they didn't have the time/money to add enough equipment variety. Miserable.

- Also, lots of clipping on the player character and their equipment, like long weapons touching the grounds and melting with it when they are rested on your back, or shields becoming part of your back with parts of your shirts coming out of it. I know nothing about polygons and models but I don't like it and it sounds to me like the opposite of "polished". It's not my job to make it as shit like this doesn't happen.

- The amount of bugged quests is scary.

- City building features not in yet. Nothing says so though. You and your friends invest lots of money in it and then fuck nothing happens. You have to go look on the boards to find out someone who was told by a GM that the feature is not completed yet. A joke.

- Crafting extremely bugged, to the point of game-breaking.

- Trader, personal bank and auction house still not working, not in the game. You can carry 24 items (28 with the cheap bag) and that's it. You can't bank anything. Just sell or trash.

- Incredible amount of random crashes, some of which requires GM intervention (Lacheish Plains, Field of the Dead).

This things are all serious to me, and if you can't say a game in this state is unpolished then Schild is right, I don't know what "polished" means. It says a lot that it took me 7 weeks EDIT: days to notice. I was having LOTS of fun and I am still having it, but looks like they did their best to hide the dirt under the carpet. The game is in an atrocious state and when the novelty starts to wear off and you venture further on in the game world and start to explore the game features well a putrid black hole suddenly appears.

As someone else said, the paint really starts to peel off after some time, and while I am still having fun I am at the same time worried about what's coming next. Funcom communication is ridiculous to say the least, and basically none of my (not just mine) concerns has been addressed at all officially. At least not on the European boards, and I can't see the US boards.

P.S: I petitioned to have my crafting quest deleted, nothing fancy. I was 83 yesterday night. 24 hours later I am 50. Now it says that the /Pet (the Petition bot) is offline. Weeeeee  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 11:28:42 AM by Falconeer »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: May 25, 2008, 11:39:02 AM

Almost forgot:

- lots of broken items. Many have 0.1 or 0.2 stats at level 1 and/or at level 46. Working as intended? Wow, cool then. So what about a pendant which casts a Rune of Immunity every 20 seconds with a 15 seconds auto recast? I am permanently immune... to what? And what about a cloak with a magnificent bonus of 0.01 immunity? Immunity to what? What will be 0.01 immunized by the cloak? Crom knows (maybe). Not very polished.

This happens a lot. Whoever was in charge of itemization simply put did a poor job.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #196 on: May 25, 2008, 11:44:20 AM

The loot totally confuses me.  Why would I bother upgrading from a level 1 armour item to a level 20, if their stats are both the same?  It's not as if any of seems to be special looking... quite the contrary. 

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #197 on: May 25, 2008, 11:48:40 AM

Seattle area folks may be SOL if they want to pick up a retail copy. Fry's, Best Buy, EBGames in both Northgate and Pacific Place are all sold out. Best Buy says they have pre-orders noone has picked up that they can release on Tuesday, so if you want to go camp spawn it Tuesday morning, be my guest.

I suspect that come the 27th, Funcom will suspend my account till my pre-order for the CE edition from Amazon comes. Which if logic serves in this case, can't possibly happened, since there simply aren't any CEs left.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #198 on: May 25, 2008, 12:01:40 PM

Gonna keep this list short, because it's the 3 things that need to be addressed for me to last a Long Time in this game:

1. Player cities - specifically PvE ones. They are totally fucked.
2. Crafting - it's totally fucked.
3. Itemization - Just needs some time and creativity and it's fixed. Also, throw loot tables on mobs from level 1-40. Post 40 it gets  a lot better. Also, make the stats make some fucking sense.

Basically, these are 3 things I suspect are first on the list to get fixed/finished, so I'm not particularly worried. For me, the 1-40 levels are more than adequate enough that I'm gonna take 5-6 toons to level 40 over the next couple weeks and see what happens with Funcom from there. After that, well, it's really up to them. I like the core of the game long enough that writing out a long list of gripes about little piddly shit here and there just isn't worth my time.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #199 on: May 25, 2008, 12:13:37 PM

I feel about the same.  If they fix the things that I'm interested in, mainly crafting, city building and sieging, I'm happy to fiddle around with the 1 - 40 game for a bit.  Like you said, it's up to them.  If they take too long and I get weary of the first half of the game, then I'm off.  Eventually I'm off anyway, because that just who I am.  I can always come back when they tidy up the game.  Unless I forget.  Then oh well. 

I'm babbling.

Anyway, if you don't get the CE, Engels, I have the one Amazon sent me the day after I bitched at them.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  If yours is canceled, you can buy this one if you like.  I was planning to return it, anyway.  Or maybe they'll have the regular one... the CE isn't really worth the price, in my opinion.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: May 25, 2008, 01:36:42 PM

This things are all serious to me, and if you can't say a game in this state is unpolished then Schild is right, I don't know what "polished" means. It says a lot that it took me 7 weeks EDIT: days to notice. I was having LOTS of fun and I am still having it, but looks like they did their best to hide the dirt under the carpet. The game is in an atrocious state and when the novelty starts to wear off and you venture further on in the game world and start to explore the game features well a putrid black hole suddenly appears.

Told you so.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #201 on: May 25, 2008, 01:43:52 PM

Almost forgot:

- lots of broken items. Many have 0.1 or 0.2 stats at level 1 and/or at level 46. Working as intended? Wow, cool then. So what about a pendant which casts a Rune of Immunity every 20 seconds with a 15 seconds auto recast? I am permanently immune... to what? And what about a cloak with a magnificent bonus of 0.01 immunity? Immunity to what? What will be 0.01 immunized by the cloak? Crom knows (maybe). Not very polished.

This happens a lot. Whoever was in charge of itemization simply put did a poor job.
The stats are complete gibberish.  A few days ago they changed that defence proficiency, which is always a decimal for some reason, into "heroic defence" or some nonsense.  Still have no idea what it does.  I like watching the mid twenty level dual wielders running around with that dagger on their hip that actually has the graphic of a bow...  How the hell does that get by even the most rudimentary of testing?

My extra complaint:  Terrible community relations.  They have a huge number of bugs, many of which are royally screwing people and they haven't said a word about them.  Will people get their gold back, have the talents that were wrongly removed reset, get the city structures that failed put up, get fixes for their destiny quests?  How about an update on the fucking trader or at least telling us why it's down?  As I spend more time playing this the number of bugs and problems is really starting to wear me down.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #202 on: May 25, 2008, 02:12:15 PM

Anyway, if you don't get the CE, Engels, I have the one Amazon sent me the day after I bitched at them.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  If yours is canceled, you can buy this one if you like.  I was planning to return it, anyway.  Or maybe they'll have the regular one... the CE isn't really worth the price, in my opinion.

Thanks Signe, depending on how it goes, I may just take you up on that.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #203 on: May 25, 2008, 05:59:26 PM

No sense quoting the whole thing, but Falconeer's post 194 hits the nail on the head for me. 

I can forgive little things being wrong, but not having guild cities, traders, banks and crafting working at launch is bullpucky. 

It's not game-breaking, but the bait and switch that is the DX10 fiasco is a prime example of how either clueless or underhanded Funcom is to me.  We were told both DX9 and DX10 versions were shipping.  It even says DX10 supported on the back of the game box.  And the *day before* launch they tell their investors (and subsequently players) it's not in at launch.  That's sheisty. 

Don't get me wrong.  Right now I'm having fun.  But the new car smell is fading and I fear I might have a lemon.  It smells of a flagshipping. 

What's really, really sad is that this game makes me miss EQ1.  :(

schild
Administrator

Reply #204 on: May 25, 2008, 06:22:07 PM

This game is nothing like EQ1.

Anyway, some of the DX10 stuff works, we have a machine here running it in dx10 and the water, fog effects and things like that are hugely different.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: May 25, 2008, 10:59:17 PM

Don't get me wrong.  Right now I'm having fun.  But the new car smell is fading and I fear I might have a lemon. 

I'm getting a similar feeling, but with the "right now I'm having fun" part I don't feel too much like complaining. I've been waiting for the loot to get better and the stats to start making sense but so far they really haven't and from the sounds of many folks' comments that doesn't really change. It's a shame because I do like loot and getting noticably better stuff that has a variety of visual appearances but so far that just isn't happening. I do still enjoy combat and the ambiance of the environments but I'm sure those things will only last me so long. I also can't imagine making any progress with alts because the 1-20 experience really started to bog down towards the end.

And as much as I'm enjoying the game I have not yet cancelled my WoW subscription. I guess that says something right there.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: May 25, 2008, 11:58:11 PM

Today's patch does nothing other than nerf fix some kind of Demonologist exploit.

No bank fixes, no crafting fixes, no items love, no client stability nor performance improvements. *sigh*

Rasix

Reply #207 on: May 26, 2008, 12:34:07 AM

And as much as I'm enjoying the game I have not yet cancelled my WoW subscription. I guess that says something right there.

This.

I haven't played a game this compulsively in a while, but the client issues and overall vibe this that game has months before it's working as intended are starting to wear on me.   undecided

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #208 on: May 26, 2008, 01:21:36 AM

Scratch everything I said about not liking anything. I'm patient and can take a bunch of classes up to 40 while waiting for shit to get patched in. Rather, I want to beat the ever living fuck out of their PR and Community Relation folks. Hard. In the eyes.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: May 26, 2008, 04:03:27 AM

Official forum (EU). No idea if it's on the US forums too.

Things to come.

http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=10589

Greetings,

There are some points you, our community, would like to get some information about. Or even better have them fixed as soon as possible. While the following is not a real schedule or promise, we would still like to tell you where our focus in regard of fixing open issues lies at the moment. Some of these updates and fixes might come earlier than others But we are working on them and will try to have solutions for them as soon as possible. Some of those points are:

- Tradepost NPCs
- Field of the Dead performance improvment
- UI changes
- Chat colors and fixes
- Various technical issues with hardware configurations

There are of course also other topics we work on but the above mentioned ones are those we feel have to be fixed as soon as possible while still making sure they are fixed correctly and in a persistent manner.

So, I hope that helps to give you a rough overview how things are. Please rest assured that we are indeed listening to your feedback and that it is very important to us to hear what our customers think. Even if you might not always get a direct answer to your questions in a post doesn't mean that we don't notice and forward them to the right people.

We are very much looking forward to the weeks, months and years to come. The launch of an MMO is always just the beginning of an exciting journey. The first step has been made now.

Thank you,

Some additional issues have been reported by players and this is to confirm that we have gathered that feedback and sent it on so they can be looked at as soon as possible:

* Playercity buildings being destroyable at the moment
    * Exploits concerning different classes
    * Getting stuck in some playfields and unable to log back in with that character
    * Download of additonal big patches
    * Parts of the Destiny Quests which can not be finished correctly

As soon as we have additional information on these and other issues we will inform you of course.

Again. Thanks for your feedback and input. We hear you and do forward those points to the departments in charge.

We are also looking into the following issues:

* Quest Log getting full
    * /claim not getting all the pre-order items
    * Socketed Items raise problems with other items

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Let's be MORE Useful! Things you don't like!  
Jump to: