Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:46:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Darkfall "Released" 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Darkfall "Released"  (Read 938138 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3465 on: April 16, 2013, 07:37:23 PM

Too little, too late.  I had a bit of fun with this game but the ship has sailed as far as I am concerned.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3466 on: April 17, 2013, 02:15:58 AM

Honestly, I only played around with it for a bit, and I must say that this borders with scam. Maybe I'm being too harsh, but this doesn't feel half as finished as Darkfall did when it came out. Or maybe it is "as" finished as Darkfall was when it came out. In 2009.

It really feels like they really had no resources or talent to make another game, but they decided to wrap this and cash some extra money from the crazies and let it implode after a few months cause whatever.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #3467 on: April 17, 2013, 04:04:30 AM

I hadn't realised that this is officially a different game to the one the original post is about. People who bought the original Darkfalll get this at a discount but they do have to pay a second time if they want to keep on playing (for the game, never mind the monthly fee). Of course, it's no longer possible to play the original Darkfall as the servers have closed. I'm surprised they have any customers at all.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #3468 on: April 17, 2013, 06:26:32 AM

I thought the people who were still playing the old version got the new one for free?  I guess when they turned the servers on everyone had to redownload the game all the sudden, so people couldn't actually play.  It was faster to get through bittorrents than the official site.  This is in a game where the first people in get to claim cities and such so it's pretty important that everyone be allowed in at the same time, I imagine most of the guild leaders and such took the day off only to stare at patching screens.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #3469 on: April 17, 2013, 06:48:54 AM

from what I hear from DF1 vets it's actually pretty good.

I might try it again in a month or so when things settle down.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3470 on: April 17, 2013, 06:50:41 AM

Already happened, just a quick look at the forums, one guild finished one download then drove the client to other users and have already ground out 50000 "domination" points or some such thing.

Kinda funny.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #3471 on: April 17, 2013, 07:34:42 AM

I thought the people who were still playing the old version got the new one for free?

Nope. They get the new game for $14.95 rather than the full price of $29.95 but they had to pay. http://www.darkfallonline.com/news/pre-order-promo-ends-april-12th

Buying the game does give you the traditional 30-days play time so I guess you could look at it that way but it's actually a fee for the new game.

Also, if you bought old game and failed to buy the new one before April 12 (see that link) it looks like you're simply treated like a brand new customer and have to pay the full $29.95.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #3472 on: April 17, 2013, 09:36:46 AM

lol well screw that then I bought their game and subscribed to it for almost 2 years while they witheld content updates for this new one and now they won't give me a deal anymore. I'll stick with playing warband which has better combat anyway.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3473 on: April 24, 2013, 06:36:55 AM

This is a guide, not a review, but it tells you all you need to know about the game.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3474 on: April 24, 2013, 10:09:32 AM

from what I hear from DF1 vets it's actually pretty good.

I might try it again in a month or so when things settle down.

Hah.  We never hear that games are pretty good after one month.  Wait three to four months.  Then you'll have the real measure.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #3475 on: April 24, 2013, 12:05:05 PM

This is a guide, not a review, but it tells you all you need to know about the game.

Somehow they managed to make UI worse. LOL
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #3476 on: April 25, 2013, 09:26:29 AM

Darkfall Unholy Wars to be launch title of new Steam service: Subscription Plans

April 25, 2013 -- Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Dota 2 and Half-Life) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source,) today announced the addition of Subscription Plans to its offering of services.

With Subscription Plans, Steam offers gamers the ability to sign up and manage payments for subscription-based games on Steam. The launch title for the new service is Darkfall Unholy Wars, with additional subscription-based games to follow.

Steam customers may now sign-up for, manage, cancel or renew game Subscription Plans at any time, online directly through Steam.

Visit Steam Support for more information about Steam Subscription Plans.

So they still want a sub for this game?   why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3477 on: April 25, 2013, 10:02:01 AM

Makes sense to me that they do.
Didn't we agree in the Camelot thread that the only MMOs still asking for a subscription are the ones older than ten years? Darkfall and this 'sequel' fit in perfectly, regardless of the publishing date.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #3478 on: April 25, 2013, 10:42:20 PM

Being the first sub MMO on Steam might actually help keep Darkfall alive.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3479 on: April 26, 2013, 08:27:19 AM

Rift is on Steam.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #3480 on: April 26, 2013, 10:43:48 AM

Yes, but Darkfall is the first to be made available through Steam's service, which will bring it some attention for a bit.

A big question will be about how much the deal puts in Valve's pocket - Trion may prefer not to go on Steam if there's too much of a fee in using it for subs collection.

Rake
Terracotta Army

Reply #3481 on: June 23, 2013, 11:01:37 AM

Just a heads up on Steam's renewal policy.

If you stop your subscription and then decide to resub, you will have to pony up the full price for the game again.
Interesting policy they have here
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #3482 on: June 23, 2013, 11:40:26 AM

That either can't be right or would be bone jarringly stupid.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #3483 on: June 23, 2013, 12:15:18 PM

It's a bug that cropped up around Memorial Day weekend.  Some people still have a problem with it but no, you should not have to re-buy the game.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Rake
Terracotta Army

Reply #3484 on: June 23, 2013, 01:26:55 PM

Not a bug it's Policy. By the way there was no violation, just the subscription didn't auto renew for some reason and I didn't fill in the card info before they terminated the license.

C. Termination by Valve.

Valve may cancel your Account or any particular Subscription(s) at any time. In the event that your Account or a particular Subscription is terminated or cancelled by Valve for a violation of this Agreement or improper or illegal activity, no refund, including of any Subscription fees, will be granted.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3485 on: June 23, 2013, 02:09:19 PM

That seems to indicate they won't refund you for a game you've been banned from.
Rake
Terracotta Army

Reply #3486 on: June 23, 2013, 02:26:23 PM

Wasn't banned from the game, but my account got hacked when Aventurine had their computers hacked.
Was suspended for a few days while they "made sure my account was secure". I was cleared to play again, minus all my pixels, just before the subscription was due for renewal.

There were no violations on my side, and I imagine the hackers were so busy looting all the other victims to be spending much time creating a nuisance with my character.
Rake
Terracotta Army

Reply #3487 on: June 24, 2013, 08:41:38 AM

Update.

As Bzalthek said, maybe it was a bug as the link that was redirecting me to the store to buy the game at full price, changed to allowing me to resub at the monthly price.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3488 on: June 24, 2013, 12:38:18 PM

It was obviously a bug...

I am the .00000001428%
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #3489 on: August 12, 2013, 07:46:05 AM

They put in the best patch yet this morning. The "everyone is an admin" patch was live for about 10 - 15 minutes before they realized it.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #3490 on: August 12, 2013, 08:21:42 AM

These guys are pro

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #3491 on: August 12, 2013, 08:48:05 AM

They put in the best patch yet this morning. The "everyone is an admin" patch was live for about 10 - 15 minutes before they realized it.
DRILLING AND MANLINESS ok, this beats CCS' boot.ini thing.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3492 on: August 28, 2013, 06:34:20 PM

This is on sale now through Steam.  50% off makes it $20.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3493 on: August 29, 2013, 06:02:48 AM

Mortal online also got green lit, if you hate yourself.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #3494 on: August 29, 2013, 11:58:22 AM

As I continue to wait for this to go F2P, what is the current state.  It is hard to tell from posts two pages back.  Anyone still playing?
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #3495 on: September 18, 2013, 05:06:07 AM

As I continue to wait for this to go F2P, what is the current state.  It is hard to tell from posts two pages back.  Anyone still playing?

I still play. The game's population has dropped significantly. It's not as low as it was when I quit the first one, but it's getting there. I would guess that it still has around 1-1.5k active subs and around 400-500 players online during peak times. Around 20% of that is probably gold farmers from China.

The game is currently overrun with radars, aimbots, and stickyback hacks. There was an email leaked to the forums by a leader of the Kholesh alliance. It was a message from the devs to the gms.  The sender of the email admitted that they have no method of detecting hacks, and asked the GMs to just start banning suspicious players without posting the names on their public ban website. All players listed in the email were banned, but no names were posted.

At least my alliance is still doing well.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 05:13:22 AM by LC »
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #3496 on: September 18, 2013, 05:11:54 AM

double posted by accident
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #3497 on: September 19, 2013, 09:16:10 AM

As I continue to wait for this to go F2P, what is the current state.  It is hard to tell from posts two pages back.  Anyone still playing?

At least my alliance is still doing well.
It's weird the sense of finality that people have. Talking about X group quitting the game or "Last significant siege".
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #3498 on: September 20, 2013, 12:47:02 AM

It's weird the sense of finality that people have. Talking about X group quitting the game or "Last significant siege".

It happens. I have seen too many clans completely quit the game already.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 08:32:11 PM by LC »
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #3499 on: November 10, 2013, 09:38:45 PM

Interesting things in the world of darkfail. The end might finally be near.

They lost their offices, they did not relocate to a permanent spot because they don't have the funds for it.  The information I got was they are sharing with another place and using a very small room & the rest are working from home etc.  I'm not sure what work they are doing because there hasn't been any updates besides the MVP forums...

I don't post in the MVP forums because I feel I would just turn my posts negative.  If you saw some of the names that are in there it would make you sick.  Some of them even got banned from DF 1.0 for cheating.  Nobody is really missing anything on this forum because there is not much being posted anyway.

This would be dismissed as a rumor normally, but it's darkfail, and rumors never seem to remain rumors. After the rumor of them losing their office started circulating, we were treated to an interesting twitch.tv drama hosted by Claus Grovdal the former/current (depending on which rumor you believe) lead designer. He got really drunk/high and started spilling everything on his stream. The most interesting bits were that the company is broke, they are developing yet another mmorpg, and they need double the amount of current subscribers just to break even. He also mentioned that his contract with the company expires in four months. 
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Darkfall "Released"  
Jump to: