Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:07:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Council of Stellar Management Voting Active 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Council of Stellar Management Voting Active  (Read 142023 times)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #35 on: May 12, 2008, 02:24:32 PM

Well, the clearly goes without saying, doesn't it?  I hear they're missing a few battleships now.
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 12, 2008, 02:38:08 PM

Don't think it's particularly remarkable that ship(the closest analogue to "class") balance gets people excited in a pvp mmo like no other issue.  What do the empire players in particular want that you could base an interesting manifesto on?  More missions and so forth?  I saw a bunch of candidates talking about no insurance for suicide ganks - which won't solve the "issue" but that's besides the point.

I'm under no illusions the CSM will actually accomplish anything though - but it'd be nice to see the Anti-Capitals Online candidates win if only for symbolic purposes.
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 13, 2008, 12:53:24 AM

Well, the anti-capitals (even basic dreads & carriers) might ring some bell for the new people. Being part of a small casual alliance in low sec one of our annoyances is that we can't setup a POS anywhere. Whenever we put one up a 15+ cap fleet will arrive in few days at most and blow it up. We just don't have the numbers to defend stuff against that. Even if we did on one timezone, the buggers can just do it while we all sleep. POS in hi sec is a pain to setup because of the corp standings. Joining a bigger alliance is not really a solution because "I want to play with my friends". It's kinda hard to get into carebear action like manufacturing when you can't research your BPOs. Maybe a hi sec POS will become more viable with the faction warfare *shrug*

As for missions, maybe not more of them but make them more interesting. Add more levels, they're too easy. Add fleet missions and gang missions (it's always more fun to fly together). Make missions for covops ships where you need to fly some course and avoid detection. Add nano ship NPCs and other tech 2 opponents to missions, stealth bombers, and spider tank NPCs. Add 'healer missions' (eww) where you need to rep a gang in combat etc. You could make missions more like actual PVP so it would be like practice for the 'real thing' and you'd need to think a bit how to engage and take stuff down.

I could see myself capable of voting for someone who would have a manifesto based entirely on mission running. As for mining, I couldn't care less but a lot of other people probably would. Then again, maybe the hardcore PVPers are once again the vocal minority that by being active on the forums gets to dictate how the rest should play the game. Or maybe they're not a minority in EVE, dunno.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 15, 2008, 05:46:23 AM

What was it, 75% of the players stay in empire? Are there any candidates that would appeal to the majority (i.e. people not in 0.0)?

WoW. Even in Eve if that number is true, the devs are taking a big risk bringing the war to Empire with the next expansion. I guess CCP is used to surviving on minimal subscription numbers though.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 15, 2008, 05:49:30 AM

Don't think it's particularly remarkable that ship(the closest analogue to "class") balance gets people excited in a pvp mmo like no other issue.  What do the empire players in particular want that you could base an interesting manifesto on?  More missions and so forth?  I saw a bunch of candidates talking about no insurance for suicide ganks - which won't solve the "issue" but that's besides the point.

I'm under no illusions the CSM will actually accomplish anything though - but it'd be nice to see the Anti-Capitals Online candidates win if only for symbolic purposes.

I saw at least one(can't remember the name now) putting forth the proposition that mission payouts should be lowered. His premise was that there was too much money in the game now, ruining the economy. Someone should tell him about game card sales I think. I'd bet that's bringing way more money into most people's hands than mission payouts. He had some other flaky claims about the economy that were shot full of holes by a real economist too. :)

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #40 on: May 15, 2008, 06:04:05 AM

What was it, 75% of the players stay in empire? Are there any candidates that would appeal to the majority (i.e. people not in 0.0)?

WoW. Even in Eve if that number is true, the devs are taking a big risk bringing the war to Empire with the next expansion. I guess CCP is used to surviving on minimal subscription numbers though.

Minimal sub numbers? These guys been holding strong/gaining for a long time now. As much or more than any non-WoW MMO. The reason for that? They keep their game gritty.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 15, 2008, 07:04:35 AM

I saw at least one(can't remember the name now) putting forth the proposition that mission payouts should be lowered. His premise was that there was too much money in the game now, ruining the economy. Someone should tell him about game card sales I think. I'd bet that's bringing way more money into most people's hands than mission payouts. He had some other flaky claims about the economy that were shot full of holes by a real economist too. :)

This doesn't bring any extra money into the game, it only transfers money from one player to another. Now, if the game itself let you sell it a GTC for money, then yah.

I do agree that industrial characters may need more money sinks, as only pvp'ers really spend a lot of cash (on replacing ships).

There are only two ways to get money from the game itself: Missions, and NPC Rats. (Plus some NPC commodity trading I suppose - did I miss any others?).

However, there are a lot of ways to "pay" the game: War fees, skill books, etc.

Anything outside of those don't increase or decrease the overall money in player wallets. (Of curiosity, as more players join the game I wonder if the average wallet size gets smaller or bigger).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 07:06:52 AM by Viin »

- Viin
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #42 on: May 15, 2008, 07:17:41 AM

Minimal sub numbers? These guys been holding strong/gaining for a long time now. As much or more than any non-WoW MMO. The reason for that? They keep their game gritty.
While EvE may offer "grit",  it's undeniable the bulk of the players aren't taking advantage of it.  And if they try to strong arm people into pvp, they'll lose subs.

"Me am play gods"
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 15, 2008, 08:25:31 AM

Of course, if it wasn't for us "gritty" EVE players, all those carebears might as well be playing Freelancer.

Even if they don't participate directly, they are involved indirectly and that's part of the appeal.

- Viin
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 15, 2008, 08:35:46 AM

While EvE may offer "grit",  it's undeniable the bulk of the players aren't taking advantage of it.  And if they try to strong arm people into pvp, they'll lose subs.

All the factional warfare stuff is optional right - you actually have to choose to participate in the missions or go to the warfare areas?  A little direction and lower entry barriers for PVP can only be a good thing.  As it stands way too many leave after their free trial muttering "mining simulator".
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #45 on: May 21, 2008, 10:39:35 AM

Results are in.

The Roleplayer wins and two Goons are up there too. This should prove... interesting.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 21, 2008, 10:52:12 AM

Yuck....

I guess thats all I have to say.  NDA

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Hakeldaima
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 21, 2008, 10:55:04 AM

Wewt, Jade won!

The Goon vote-splitting strategy worked well - shame about Goumingdong not making it though  awesome, for real

Edit: Three role-players (i.e. in specific RP corps/alliances - perhaps Darius RP's the roof off in GS alliance channels, but I have no way of knowing) on the council, Jade, Hardin and Inanna. The GS dudes are the only candidates from a big alliance on the council (not sure though if there were candidates from other big'uns in the running).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 10:59:13 AM by Hakeldaima »
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #48 on: May 21, 2008, 11:00:55 AM

Ha, they should make them come to Iceland in February.

"Me am play gods"
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 21, 2008, 12:34:45 PM

Yay, my rp guy got in.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 21, 2008, 12:53:00 PM

What's going to be hilarious is the first time Jade posts a thesis on "Why 0.0 space should work the way I demand it to" and CCP turning around and saying "nop, sry".  awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #51 on: May 21, 2008, 01:13:19 PM

I used to LARP with Andy Cruse....

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #52 on: May 21, 2008, 02:26:33 PM

Isn't Serenity Steele someone?  I swear that name sounds familiar.

Grats to Jade, I figure if nothing else he'll try hard and take it seriously, probably too seriously.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 02:30:57 PM

It'll be interesting, one way or the other.  CCP says they want them to be legit but than makes them sound like secretaries.

"Me am play gods"
Hakeldaima
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 21, 2008, 05:40:56 PM

Serenity Steele ran the ISS, the Outpost alert and made the map book.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 22, 2008, 06:38:54 AM

Its not in Empire it's in low sec so there's more PvP for those who dare and the carebears can still hang out in Empire.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #56 on: May 22, 2008, 07:00:57 AM

Its not in Empire it's in low sec so there's more PvP for those who dare and the carebears can still hang out in Empire.

Non-sequitur much?
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 22, 2008, 07:28:37 AM

Non-sequitur much?

I was too lazy to quote, here this statement.

Its not in Empire it's in low sec so there's more PvP for those who dare and the carebears can still hang out in Empire.  tongue
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 07:31:58 AM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 22, 2008, 08:30:01 AM

The CSM is off to a dramalicious start; Goons demanding a no confidence vote and bitching about a supposed promise to step down from the chair - Jade threatening to disenfranchise a goon council member and flat out stating he'll ignore goon viewpoints - tons of bickering.  It's more fun than the primaries thread!
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 22, 2008, 09:16:23 AM

Thread is in the CSM forums, and it's been moderated quite a bit, apparently.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 09:26:51 AM by ajax34i »
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #60 on: May 22, 2008, 09:23:37 AM

By the way:

Jade Constantine:

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #61 on: May 22, 2008, 09:31:44 AM

Fuck the Goons tbh.  Taking anything anyone who flies Goonswarm seriously when it comes to something like GSM is so assbackwards retarded that it hurts to think about it.  It was hilarious reading a thread in MD started by some Goon who wanted to run an IPO.  Everyone basically told him to piss off or make an alt for his scam.

You can't have your alliance mission statement be "to ruin the game" then expect anyone to care that now that your a superpower you want to fix some of the problems with supercaps.   Give me a fucking break.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: May 22, 2008, 09:33:15 AM

Thread is in the CSM forums, and it's been moderated quite a bit, apparently.

Mostly page 11 on in Jade's campaigning thread: http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=759968&page=11
But the sniping is all over.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 09:35:55 AM by Sparky »
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 22, 2008, 09:48:34 AM

They have added two forums to the CSM section of the EVE-O forums, one where we can discuss issues and vote to support (you do that by posting and checking a box before submitting your comments) and one that looks reserved for the CSM reps to post their reports.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 22, 2008, 09:54:25 AM

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 08:11:31 AM by Amarr HM »

Hakeldaima
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 22, 2008, 10:01:04 AM

What's the point of posting the picture? Is it simply "omg jade is a dewd!!!" or what?
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: May 22, 2008, 11:04:18 AM

Hence comes the term "To do a jade."
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #67 on: May 22, 2008, 11:17:17 AM

My personal judgement is that this is going to be a clusterfuck of monumental proportions.  My professional judgement is that it's going to be a fascinating experiment in the dynamics of player governance.  The difference between the two is that as a professional, someone else's monumental clusterfuck is my learning opportunity.

The fact that Jade Constantine has been elected Chairman on a platform of essentially taking over the game design from CCP is not that surprising.  The fact that he's a gender-bending roleplayer and the Goons are in the mix as well....  It should be interesting.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: May 22, 2008, 11:55:27 AM

What's the point of posting the picture? Is it simply "omg jade is a dewd!!!" or what?

If we're going to be honest here - and I suspect you know the answer yourself -  I think the picture was posted because he looks funny, Hakel.  If a guy gets elected, goes back on his first campaign "promise" within minutes then within only a few hours starts on a crusade fuelled by personal dislike of a sector of the electorate then he has to expect that his reception is going to be mixed at best.  He is busily provoking confrontation and happily sowing the wind.

I'm genuinely disappointed in him.  I think I am on record on these forums in the last couple of weeks saying that i thought he'd be a pretty thoughtful rep, and I was impressed by the stated willingness to stand down and put his putative chairmanship to the vote.  At the moment, it looks like Mahrin has it spot on, and the whole process is going to be made into a colossal, pitiful disaster, and the astonishing thing is that it won't be the goons that do it.  I'm having trouble believing what I'm seeing.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: May 22, 2008, 11:58:12 AM

He's a changeling!

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Council of Stellar Management Voting Active  
Jump to: