DAoC's graphic to turn in shabby EQ2 clone (with boobs)

(1/9) > >>

HRose:
Press release:
FAIRFAX, VA - March 24, 2004 - Mythic Entertainment, developer and publisher of the award-winning massively multiplayer online role-playing game "Dark Age of Camelot," today announced that it will use EMotion FX 2 in all current and future games as the next step in the evolution of the player experience.

"We look forward to adding the EMotion FX 2 engine to our games" said Mark Jacobs, president and CEO of Mythic Entertainment. "This great piece of technology will both save time and add features to our games that will make them even better."

"Our clients use EMotion FX 2 to improve the realism and believability of their game characters to a level that gamers have never experienced before," said John van der Burg, President of Mystic Game Development. "Since the recent release of EMotion FX 2, we have had a growing number of game developer and software tool companies license our product. In this case, we are delighted to announce that Mythic Entertainment will be using Emotion FX 2 to bring gamers an enhanced gaming experience."

Worst idea ever.
DAoC is about large scale battles with nifty spell effect and its own styles for models and animations. It will turn in a laggy, photo-realistic clone of EQ2 wax museum.

Go to the developers site of this plugin and you'll see just boobs. This just to follow the stupid trend of Lineage 2. When the game is out of ideas you need boobs. Oversized boobs and thongs.

Obviously DAoC needs to specialize in large battles, scenery, armies and so on. Instead it will go with the emotes, facial expressions and other stupid features. Packed in a new expansion box with "The new frontier of grind" as a subtitle.

schild:
But look at that Bikini Line!

I blame Lum.

angry.bob:
Quote from: HRose

DAoC used to be mostly about large scale zergs rolling across the frontier, but since ToA it’s about an insanely painful system of raids and leveling your artifacts.

FIFY.

Quite frankly, I welcome some T&A in DAoC, especially if each realm gets Its own unique style of assfloss. The game is visually soulless and there is little to no difference between the realms – both in character and landscape. ToA ruined most of the game’s remaining appeal. Maybe this will do something to make leveling my Fool’s Bow at least mildly entertaining. W00t for h4wt redheaded norsewoman hunters.

My only questions are:
1) Will we be able to "redesign" the appearance of  current characters when they convert to the new engine, 2)How far towards "big" will the slider for my character's rack go, and 3)Does the engine possess Lineage 2's amazing ability for my character's cans to smack together when she runs?

All kidding aside, this is great for the game. It effectively moves the game from "2nd" to "3rd" generation without the cost or time of developing a new game. The result is that people will feel much less inclined to drop the game to move onto the next level of shiny since the shiny will show up at the feet of their current level 50 characters they've spent the last few years establishing in a community. With this engine upgrade, literally the only reason to switch games is if you hate the game itself. In which case it's doubtful you'd still be playing it. It's win/win/win for Mythic and people still playing DAoC, with the exception of people with extremely low-end PC's.

An appreciative golf clap at the cunning whoever decided to make this move.

Numtini:
Just because the developer has boobs doesn't mean DAOC is going to. I certainly hope not, it's one of the nicer games to play because you're not forced to look like a streetwalker.

I think DAOC is quite smart in upgrading the engine rather than releasing a new game. Particularly since with frontiers they're proving that they're willing to replace huge portions of their game.

Shame they can't do something real about bots.

SurfD:
ok, so from what i gather, this new tech also has something to do with the nifty facial appearances and high quality models that get shown off in Half Life 2.

If that is the case, how is this going to affect the system requirements for the game?

While it is a nice idea to freshen up the look of the game to keep the walking wallets in your corner, if your update also requires a new graphics card, more ram and a faster CPU, chances are you are going to drive off more credit cards then you keep.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page