Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:17:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: DAoC's graphic to turn in shabby EQ2 clone (with boobs) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DAoC's graphic to turn in shabby EQ2 clone (with boobs)  (Read 30454 times)
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

on: March 25, 2004, 12:20:31 AM

Press release:
FAIRFAX, VA - March 24, 2004 - Mythic Entertainment, developer and publisher of the award-winning massively multiplayer online role-playing game "Dark Age of Camelot," today announced that it will use EMotion FX 2 in all current and future games as the next step in the evolution of the player experience.

"We look forward to adding the EMotion FX 2 engine to our games" said Mark Jacobs, president and CEO of Mythic Entertainment. "This great piece of technology will both save time and add features to our games that will make them even better."

"Our clients use EMotion FX 2 to improve the realism and believability of their game characters to a level that gamers have never experienced before," said John van der Burg, President of Mystic Game Development. "Since the recent release of EMotion FX 2, we have had a growing number of game developer and software tool companies license our product. In this case, we are delighted to announce that Mythic Entertainment will be using Emotion FX 2 to bring gamers an enhanced gaming experience."

Worst idea ever.
DAoC is about large scale battles with nifty spell effect and its own styles for models and animations. It will turn in a laggy, photo-realistic clone of EQ2 wax museum.

Go to the developers site of this plugin and you'll see just boobs. This just to follow the stupid trend of Lineage 2. When the game is out of ideas you need boobs. Oversized boobs and thongs.

Obviously DAoC needs to specialize in large battles, scenery, armies and so on. Instead it will go with the emotes, facial expressions and other stupid features. Packed in a new expansion box with "The new frontier of grind" as a subtitle.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 12:27:43 AM

But look at that Bikini Line!

I blame Lum.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 02:29:45 AM

Quote from: HRose
DAoC used to be mostly about large scale zergs rolling across the frontier, but since ToA it’s about an insanely painful system of raids and leveling your artifacts.

FIFY.

Quite frankly, I welcome some T&A in DAoC, especially if each realm gets Its own unique style of assfloss. The game is visually soulless and there is little to no difference between the realms – both in character and landscape. ToA ruined most of the game’s remaining appeal. Maybe this will do something to make leveling my Fool’s Bow at least mildly entertaining. W00t for h4wt redheaded norsewoman hunters.

My only questions are:
1) Will we be able to "redesign" the appearance of  current characters when they convert to the new engine, 2)How far towards "big" will the slider for my character's rack go, and 3)Does the engine possess Lineage 2's amazing ability for my character's cans to smack together when she runs?

All kidding aside, this is great for the game. It effectively moves the game from "2nd" to "3rd" generation without the cost or time of developing a new game. The result is that people will feel much less inclined to drop the game to move onto the next level of shiny since the shiny will show up at the feet of their current level 50 characters they've spent the last few years establishing in a community. With this engine upgrade, literally the only reason to switch games is if you hate the game itself. In which case it's doubtful you'd still be playing it. It's win/win/win for Mythic and people still playing DAoC, with the exception of people with extremely low-end PC's.

An appreciative golf clap at the cunning whoever decided to make this move.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 03:51:48 AM

Just because the developer has boobs doesn't mean DAOC is going to. I certainly hope not, it's one of the nicer games to play because you're not forced to look like a streetwalker.

I think DAOC is quite smart in upgrading the engine rather than releasing a new game. Particularly since with frontiers they're proving that they're willing to replace huge portions of their game.

Shame they can't do something real about bots.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 04:43:30 AM

ok, so from what i gather, this new tech also has something to do with the nifty facial appearances and high quality models that get shown off in Half Life 2.

If that is the case, how is this going to affect the system requirements for the game?

While it is a nice idea to freshen up the look of the game to keep the walking wallets in your corner, if your update also requires a new graphics card, more ram and a faster CPU, chances are you are going to drive off more credit cards then you keep.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Glamdring
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 05:36:09 AM

My mmorpgs blur so I could be wrong.  Isn't DAOC the one that removed some taunt because parental figures were crying about its crudeness?  It was /crotch or something similar.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 05:53:26 AM

Quote from: Glamdring
My mmorpgs blur so I could be wrong.  Isn't DAOC the one that removed some taunt because parental figures were crying about its crudeness?  It was /crotch or something similar.

Yes.  It was players who complained.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Glamdring
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 06:01:56 AM

Quote from: Mesozoic

Yes.  It was players who complained.

I guess I was thinking 'parental figures' due to the fact that most of the posts were of the 'I will no longer allow my kid to play!' variety.  I thought the taunt was a stupid addition to the game but there were some serious headcases that came out of the woodwork due to its inclusion.
Horik
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 06:22:20 AM

I kind of figured that the no-b00biez characters actually drew people (especially female gamers) to DAOC.
XMackenzie
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 07:26:52 AM

The most important thing about this proposed graphic expansion is whether we can keep using the old clients to participate in RvR.  Rumor has it that support for the Classic client is going to be dropped after Frontiers, I'd be sad to see SI get dropped and have to use the ToA client for anything other than ToA stuff.

attention span of a gnat
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 25, 2004, 07:52:43 AM

I don't get why a new graphic engine makes it an eq2 clone.  If they draw the artwork like eq2 and texture and shade it like eq2 then okay.  But to my knowledge nobody has seen any of the new models.

Are they even making new player models anytime soon?

EQ has a new graphics engine rolling out in a few months as well, but the launch is intented to look exactly as it does now but just run better.  Then in the future they plan to slowly add more art that uses the new features.

I just don't see the big deal.  Boobs have little to do with the graphics engine and everything to do with the artists.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 25, 2004, 07:57:43 AM

My beef with games that have a lot of T&A (like L2) isn't that they are there.  Heck, you all can play what you like and all that.  I won't burst into flames playing it either.  The main issue I have, as a parent (yes, here it comes) isn't that my kids will play it either.  I won't let them play stuff like that until they are older but that doesn't mean I have to force the devs to change their concepts/art.

My problem is that I cannot play games like this because I play my games with my family around.  I'm not in the basement in a closet with the lights off.  I'm right off of the living room in the open.  I play while the kids are watching TV or playing or whatever.  I do this on purpose because computer time is a replacement for TV time for me, but I still have to be available to my family.

As such, my kids like to watch me play the games sometimes.  They ask questions as I'm playing (non-stop actually but that is another story.)  My biggest fear is for them to see dark elf mistresses in stiletto's and thongs and ask what is that?  How the hell can I answer that one?

So essentially, I would play the games, but cannot.  If you put in T&A, great.  However, you will be excluding some people and not just because it burns their eyes!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: March 25, 2004, 08:14:15 AM

UMMMM, WHAT THE FUCK?

I'm deeply disturbed by that image. Yet, strangely excited as well.

AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 25, 2004, 08:19:51 AM

No, that was Anarchy Online. They removed /ass and /crotch (scratching animations relative to those parts of the body). They did add /adjust though, which does the same as /crotch used to do...

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #14 on: March 25, 2004, 08:25:56 AM

Quote from: XMackenzie
The most important thing about this proposed graphic expansion is whether we can keep using the old clients to participate in RvR.  Rumor has it that support for the Classic client is going to be dropped after Frontiers, I'd be sad to see SI get dropped and have to use the ToA client for anything other than ToA stuff.

The answer is no. The change over from classic to SI as the base is not a rumor, it was announced in the last month. Inevitably this will cause the classic client to become essentially a free download or part of a bundle with SI for new adopters. I personally like the change to better graphics if they can hold up under the pressure, but odds are they won't on things like relic raids and major battles. Time will tell there.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rof
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 25, 2004, 08:26:30 AM

DAoc also lost the /taunt emote. Or rather, they changed the animation for it from the typical "I've got a big tonker" to a wing-flapping "you're a chicken".

I don't mind a graphics engine upgrade unless they turn it into plastic shiney land like the EQ2 screenshots.

Formerly known as Ellenrof
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #16 on: March 25, 2004, 09:12:16 AM

Quote from: Dren
As such, my kids like to watch me play the games sometimes.  They ask questions as I'm playing (non-stop actually but that is another story.)  My biggest fear is for them to see dark elf mistresses in stiletto's and thongs and ask what is that?  How the hell can I answer that one?

Or you could do like I do and say, "That's a Dark Elf. She's evil.. watch what she's about to do.."

Everyone has different levels of tolerance for different things.  I don't like playing gorefests around my daughter, but I don't have a problem with the Dark Elves in Lineage 2, etc around her.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 25, 2004, 09:29:35 AM

From looking at the features listed, it seems to me that the engine enhances animation, not modeling.  Meaning, you take the existing models and give them facial expressions and some new animations.  

I don't think it forces them to use L2-style models, or even anything with T&A.  The chick shown in the Emotion FX site is almost naked for publicity reasons, but what's important about the engine is that, with it, she (and the models in your game too) can SCOWL at you while kicking you in the groin.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #18 on: March 25, 2004, 10:28:36 AM

Quote from: angry.bob
Quite frankly, I welcome some T&A in DAoC, especially if each realm gets Its own unique style of assfloss. The game is visually soulless and there is little to no difference between the realms – both in character and landscape. ToA ruined most of the game’s remaining appeal.

And you think this will help? They will need to convert YEARS of graphic data, redo all the animations, all the textures, model every different type of armor and so on. You think they will concentrate on making chars more different?

This will simply turn DAoC's graphic like ass. I bet we will see different models and textures melted together to reduce the number of different models. And I've looked to the features too. I don't think DAoC needs lip synch.

It will turn in a "pop of detail" fest.

Every new "plugin" they add to Netimmerse brings its own, unsolved, issues to the game, I wonder what will happen with this one.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 25, 2004, 01:25:29 PM

Two comments:

1. Without boobs, chicks are just crossdressing gay men.

2. After seeing the images on the dev site, I'm surprised that we're talking about boobs when over half the shots displayed some of the biggest cameltoe MMOGs have ever seen.

unbannable
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #20 on: March 25, 2004, 01:40:55 PM

To be fair, my eyes often can't make it much lower than the nipple line when the breast is twice the size of my head.

El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 25, 2004, 01:59:57 PM

Quote from: Arcadian Del Sol
Two comments:

1. Without boobs, chicks are just crossdressing gay men.

Chicks lack prostates.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #22 on: March 25, 2004, 02:43:57 PM

On a side note (just to not waste another thread on it):
Mythic has released the planned RA system:
http://www.camelotherald.com/newfrontiers/realmabilities/index2.php
http://www.camelotherald.com/newfrontiers/realmabilities/abilities.php

A quick glance at it (and a few discussion threads) shows that it's well planned but it's also aimed to catassing for teh win. It will produce a huge difference in "performance" between the casual guy and the tight RR8+ guild.

I can already foresee the hate produced in the long distance: casual players will hate the catasses because they cannot do anything against them (aside zerging), the catasses will hate the casual players because the combat is not "fair" and they will be zerged no matter of their power. At the end both will complain about the game not being "fun".

Just an example for everything else: An ability like Master of Concentration (which allows you to cast for 30 seconds without being interrupted) is now easily gettable for casual players. And it's a must due to how crappy are interruptions in the game mechanics. Well, the first common version will provide only 25% of the damage of a standard spell. Instead the third (for catasses since it "asks" you exactly 30 points. A LOT of points) will offer 75% in effectivity.

Summarizing, what I see it's an increased gap between the beginning of your RvR career and its end (RR9). And so between the players involved in the battles.

It also hints an endless rebalance and nerf, both before and after release. Another side effect is to make never solved balance problems even more glaring.

Considering the whole thing it's obvious as this whole problem exists because of another, biggeer and deeper one: fair combat.

- FPS offer fair combat because you enter in an instanced zone with equal team numbers and equal "starting conditions" (read as: same raw abilities).

- DAoC is umbalanced even in the structure. It offers an environment where you can "meet" a single player or an entire zerg. It also offers a deep gap in abilities and possibilities due to the PvP treadmill.

Till DAoC (and every other mmorpg approaching this structure) won't solve these basic issues it won't offer "fun" gameplay. Quoting myself from an old post:

" fairness of combat - diversity of the gameplay - fun

Still the same three issues.
Zergs, buffbots, realm imbalances and cheats are examples of non-fair combat (and they destroy the fun as a consequence).
Or Mythic starts to work on *game systems* that solve these issues or the whole new expansion will be 'fluff'.

The new RA system will damage directly the "fairness of combat" because of the increased treadmill. Mythic again plans a nifty system that won't solve anything important: "The time has come for us to unveil our proposed game plan for the new Realm Ability System. We understand that this is very important to the Camelot community and we realize that we're making some very large changes here."

Same trend of the whole industry, timid design that won't offer nothing new aside unexpected (negative) side-effects.

More summarization: They are building on top of a flawed system.

P.S.

They also lost another occasion to address another huge and well known problem, the insane combat speed. The early reports about WoW duels tell that PvP is a lot more solid, with fights not lasting just a few seconds. We'll see what happens.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 25, 2004, 06:15:57 PM

Fixing game issues with RA's is and always was a mistake.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #24 on: March 25, 2004, 09:48:25 PM

Quote from: Numtini
Fixing game issues with RA's is and always was a mistake.

It's not simple. Actually they went back that path. For years they balanced the RvR using the RAs. Now they are going back because the system will become unified, with no difference between the realms (and dumbing down the game because the difference is one soul of it).

But, without addressing classes balance, they will simply make the umbalance more glaring with this unified system.

Instead what I complain is about problems even more at the roots of the game, which I summarized in three key points. Fairness of combat, diversity of the gameplay and fun.

In my point of view those problems are sticking with every game type which presents any form of PvP.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 26, 2004, 01:41:55 AM

Hrose, I shudder to think what strained thought process took you from "Mythic is changing DAOC's graphic engine again" to "Mythic is reskinning Hibernians as big-titted, thong-wearing elf bitches".  If you actually do have a time machine, then post some screenshots of the new DAOC player models to back up your claims.  If not, how about waiting to actually, you know, SEE what Mythic's artists and coders produce before screeching OMG MYTHIC IS RUINING THE GAME AGAIN!!!!!!
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #26 on: March 26, 2004, 02:53:20 AM

Quote from: ajax34i
From looking at the features listed, it seems to me that the engine enhances animation, not modeling.  Meaning, you take the existing models and give them facial expressions and some new animations.  

Frankly, using this engine and keeping anything close to the current models is a waste and negates about 80%of the advantages of switching - and that's assuming they can even use the current models in it. Nevermind that the models are hopelessly dated at this point, their faces aren't designed move, and the model scowling without the skin going with it would look like there was a hamster crawling around in their mouth.

That aside, the game needs some spice, and 3 slightly different versions of 3 slightly different kinds of 3 different armor types would barely cut it. Crafters, myself included, have been screaming for the ability to chose from a variety of skins to mix and match when crafting armor, and this would be an excellent time to include that feature.

One thing this engine offers that THEY ABSOLUTELY NEED TO USE in RvR is collision detection. God, a shield wall that enemies can't just run through...

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 26, 2004, 07:32:03 AM

But that also requires mass and impact calculations, otherwise a 1-person-deep row of fighters can stop a whole cavalry division like a steel-reinforced cement wall.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 26, 2004, 08:39:03 AM

Quote from: ajax34i
But that also requires mass and impact calculations, otherwise a 1-person-deep row of fighters can stop a whole cavalry division like a steel-reinforced cement wall.

And if combat included horses, that would matter.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 26, 2004, 09:56:54 AM

The move to using SpeedTree when ToA was released was a great move as it improved the performance of the engine for large scale battles. If they can implement EMotion FX 2 to the game without degrading performance, then good for them. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully, New Frontiers will boost RvR a bit, but the barrier to entry for new players these days is really high still.

Then again, EMotion FX 2 may come into play for battles on ships and, as mentioned above, possibly mounts (note this is not stated anywhere by Mythic, but is certainly a possibility for the game)?

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #30 on: March 26, 2004, 09:59:58 AM

Quote from: Alrindel
Hrose, I shudder to think what strained thought process took you from "Mythic is changing DAOC's graphic engine again" to "Mythic is reskinning Hibernians as big-titted, thong-wearing elf bitches".  If you actually do have a time machine, then post some screenshots of the new DAOC player models to back up your claims.  If not, how about waiting to actually, you know, SEE what Mythic's artists and coders produce before screeching OMG MYTHIC IS RUINING THE GAME AGAIN!!!!!!

You aren't obviously able to part the cheap attack I made to Mythic from the true point. A character engine focused on facial expressions, morphing and so on isn't an engine that fits in a game about large scale battles.

I would expect a different set of features from this overhaul. It's obvious that (aside the graphic result) it will only make the game worst (I mean client lag and so on).

P.S.
Soukyan you are the first I hear to say ToA is faster than SI engine. Grab FRAPS and take some tests.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 26, 2004, 10:08:58 AM

Quote from: HRose
P.S.
Soukyan you are the first I hear to say ToA is faster than SI engine. Grab FRAPS and take some tests.

I have and it is faster. My friend has complained that it is slower, BUT that's because he is suffering from old EQ syndrome. Attempting to run newer expansions on an aging PC that needs upgraded in several ways. On a recommended or better system, the ToA engine cruises. But again, that's just my experience with the game.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 26, 2004, 12:11:59 PM

I would not call what you describe as old EQ syndrome.  SoL engine runs like a dog on a system that has no client side lag issues with SWG at all with just as many or more avatars in the area.

EQ engine does not run 'well' on anything.  At least not as well as it should.  They are supposed to have their new engine in about 2 months though.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 26, 2004, 01:49:33 PM

Quote from: Hrose
And you think this will help? They will need to convert YEARS of graphic data, redo all the animations, all the textures, model every different type of armor and so on. You think they will concentrate on making chars more different?

Yea, because nobody has ever done that before right?

Quote from: Hrose
A character engine focused on facial expressions, morphing and so on isn't an engine that fits in a game about large scale battles.

You have the tech to back this up? How much of this is client side? I've seen SB do some amazing shit. The worst "lag" seems to come from moving across or near zone borders. If 120 people go at it in a siege situation, I have yet to see unplayable frame rates. And this in an engine that was old when DAoC launches. And, SB Asia client rev from En-tranze is promising an entire graphic retrofit.

Seriously, first you're worried that New Engine = Tits, ignoring the fact that artists decide what shit looks like and the engine decides how much of it they can draw. Second, you're now implying that because the engine provides more details in facial animations that there'll be a penta-fold increase in server communication or graphical processing needs or something that ignores, just as hazardously, the realities of a client-side Options>Graphics window.

Screenshots don't tell a good story for MMOGs. Yea yea, another soulless near photo realistic image. Woot. They'll always show the best available on a system optimized for it. Or, something that only the top 1% of FPS players bothers building.

DAoC needs art. I don't care if it's three headed medusas in drag. There is no style to the characters. They've done some admirable work on world design, but the characters within are chaste beyond reason. The game makes Star Trek: The Next Generation look like a porno flick.

If new graphics means new ways to flex creative muscle, it can only help DAoC.

As to pissing off the parents? Well, I still accept Nick Yee's median age for players at 24, and given the IDC and NPD reports from the last few years, the smart money targets that. I'm a parent. I'll migrate eventually to living room entertainment even if it's my PC hooked to an HDTV I'm still researching a way to justify ("here baby, how about carrying this big glass of water over there for awhile?").

But I don't play this shit while my kid is awake anyway. Way too much intense mental investment to split it that way. Unless I'm playing Eve ;)
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #34 on: March 26, 2004, 09:21:25 PM

Quote from: Alluvian
EQ engine does not run 'well' on anything.  At least not as well as it should.

This is by design.  EQ leaves some calculations to be done by the client, namely things related to character movement.  For some reason, doing this requires that everyone have the same, poor, framerate.  It's what lets hacks like 'gear' work.  If you heavily load your CPU while EQ is loading, then remove the load once you're in game, you get great framerates, even with large groups of people.  You also can outrun stuff you shouldn't be able to, and things like lev don't act quite the same (iirc, you don't sink like you should).

The fact that EQ runs bad on purpose is one of my problems with the game.  After one engine upgrade, that situation is still there, and I don't see them removing it in any future engine upgrade.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: DAoC's graphic to turn in shabby EQ2 clone (with boobs)  
Jump to: