Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:31:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Ahh... The smell of delusional fanboy. How I've missed you 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ahh... The smell of delusional fanboy. How I've missed you  (Read 18703 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: October 24, 2004, 10:05:09 PM

Quote from: Cyraxx
Margalis post (24 posts up or so) is the smartest thing I have read all day. :) ... This board is alot better than the official EQ2 board

I made this specific board because if I had to spend another day reading the official board I would have broken my own neck. Oh, and welcome to uhm, here.
Cyraxx

Email
Reply #36 on: October 24, 2004, 11:10:18 PM

Thanks ;)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #37 on: October 25, 2004, 05:48:41 AM

schild's kindness is surpassed only by his patience and committment to spreading happiness and joy throughout the world.  If you had started a thread entitled "Hi!  My name is Cyraxx and I want to be your friend", you would have melted his heart.

Cheers and good luck with your sanity, new guy! ;)

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 29, 2004, 06:54:27 AM

Looks like this here thread was linked over on Terra Nova. They also linked to a Grimwell discussion and a Corpnews article. How about that. f13, corp and grimwell - the Holy Triumvirate of intellectual MMOG discussion on the internet today.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #39 on: October 29, 2004, 08:06:10 AM

Surely you mean UNholy.

Next question is, will anyone reading all 3 sites from that blog realize how inbred the sites are.

EDIT:

Also.. I rather enjoyed Bartle's comments when Raph protested by saying SOE "Has no policy of intentionaly releasing early."

Robold>Then how do you explain the complete character class and skill overhaul less than 2 weeks before release?

Launching a large, commercial virtual world isn't a one-day thing. It takes time, like stopping a supertanker: you have to plan it some time in advance. Because of the long lead-in times for print magazines, marketers have to get the publicity lined up 3 months before launch day at the very latest. Likewise, making all those CDs and shipping them to Electonics Boutique isn't something you can just do overnight, it has a lead time of several weeks too.

So Raph can honestly say "SOE has no such policy of intentionally releasing early", because the launch process began some time ago. They're not intentionally launching early, because by this time their hands were tied.

"Intentionally" kind of implies that they decided from the outset to launch early. I wouldn't say that this applied even to SW:G, which launched 18 months before it really should have. I don't know the details, but I suspect that SOE's higher management decided some late in the process that the SW:G project needed its own cash flow to support the burgeoning costs of its development. If they could have held on until the game was fully completed to specifications, they would have; however, they felt that they couldn't. Thus, they may have knowingl launched early, but they didn't intentionally launch early.

Richard

Posted by: Richard Bartle |

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #40 on: October 29, 2004, 08:17:58 AM

F13 isn't inbred. I restirred the gene pool when we moved to this site.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 29, 2004, 08:33:57 AM

Quote from: schild
F13 isn't inbred. I restirred the gene pool when we moved to this site.

Papa?

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 29, 2004, 10:08:53 AM

Quote from: Fargull
Seems that alot of the shiny needs to be laid at Bruce Rogers feet...

Lewis says he has no illusions about the new undertaking [City of Villains]. "Most engineers don't have to worry about fun," he says. "I now appreciate how hard it is to do fun."

Nah, based on the Forbes article it is mostly Michael Lewis for the design. He gave them the cash and then went off to UCLA. When he came back he found they were sucking dog so he fired some people, took over, and played to crush for 18 months.
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #43 on: October 29, 2004, 10:20:48 AM

Krakrok,

Oh.  I thought Bruce was the genius behind the graphics engine. Gotcha though, yeah, sounds like Lewis has the business leadership that seems to be lacking from many other companies.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Ahh... The smell of delusional fanboy. How I've missed you  
Jump to: