Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:16:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Mass Effect - Bring Down the Sky - Bioware - 360 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mass Effect - Bring Down the Sky - Bioware - 360  (Read 2954 times)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

on: March 24, 2008, 03:19:06 PM

So Bring Down the Sky is the first episodic DLC content for Bioware's Mass Effect. It's in interesting concept, adding downloadable side plots to an RPG. Of course the question is, is it worth it? (and the 400 MS points)

The early word I heard from most people was that it was just another random side planet mission, with a few bunkers to shoot stuff in. While that is loosely true, it's not really a fair description. They took the random side planet mission, and spiced it up. There are about eight different encounter points on the map, including the standard "clear out the badguys" bunkers, but it's the little changes that are cool. Things like new defences (you can't park the Mako three miles away and blow up all of the turrets this time), new little twists, some bits of humor and some suprises make the outside encounters feel new. Inside, the basic bunkers ain't all that different, but some creative uses of stairs and platforms give a little variety to the typical gunfight.

They really did flesh this thing out though. You've got a new enemy race, full cutscenes, and multiple conversations including paragon/renegade choices. Yes it's short, but there is enough story jammed in to it to make in interesting. The last building is a full sized newly designed area, and not just a retread. Plus there are kewl lewts to earn for finishing it (unique kewl lewts).

Finally, graphically it's beautiful. If you liked the Luna mission for the cool view of the Earth, well - the asteroid you are on is about three times closer to Nova Prime. Kudos to the art designers on this.

The only real catch is that you need to have a save game where you have control over where the Normandy is going.

Buy it - if you are in the middle of a current playthrough, or planning on starting one. If you are just going to load an old save game to do this mission, then I probably wouldn't bother.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:21:19 AM

Eh, it's only a good buy if you're really a fan of Mass Effect and have done everything there is to do in the game.  It's a bit of added fluff and lore in a game that wasn't really lacking in fluff and lore to begin with.  I'm not saying the DLC is a bad purchase or anything.  It's a decent amount of content for the price, especially if you play through it multiple times.  The problem is that you'll typically only get so much DLC for a game out of a developer before they decide it's best to put the resources elsewhere, so it would be nice to see them do something meaningful with it, whether that be bridging the gap between Mass Effect 1 and 2, or doing content that helps further develop the characters.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 12:38:52 PM

Thanks for the review.  It looks a little more interesting than I originally thought.   I'll probably DL it.

I at Virmire right now.  Is that too late?

EDIT: So I went and bought it anyways and the answer to my own question is no, it's not too late.

My impression is about the same.  It was a pretty fun side quest that I got through in an evening.  It's way better than a generic planet exploration but not up to the level of one of the 'story' planets.  The last couple fights are pretty good.

Same recommendation - Buy it if you're still into Mass Effect.  If you've moved on to another game, there's not enough reason here to go back.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 07:25:44 AM by Special J »
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Mass Effect - Bring Down the Sky - Bioware - 360  
Jump to: