Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:08:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The robots are coming 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The robots are coming  (Read 213996 times)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

on: March 20, 2008, 08:37:11 PM

New video of Boston Dynamics' BigDog robot, runs on petrol/gasoline, designed as a pack mule for the military.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww

So, how soon until it's a Terminator? (and does that little victory kick-jump dance over your corpse?)
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 08:42:53 PM

The video of it not slipping on the ice and of it jumping over a space is incredible. Not long now until robotic guard dogs.

The future is really starting to kick ass.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Edit: I'm seeing all kinds of stuff becoming reality in the news lately that I read about in 90s scifi fiction.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 08:47:08 PM by Krakrok »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 08:48:43 PM

Need more gun.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 09:39:44 PM

Need more gun.

Currently humans are at the "hay look guyz we can kick it really fucking hard in teh side and all it does is adjust".

All the while, the anger and resentment is building to be uploaded to the model that gets the guns. BigDog will have its revenge.

Edit: I'm seeing all kinds of stuff becoming reality in the news lately that I read about in 90s scifi fiction.

Totally agree. We really are at a new stage. This sort of technology alone could realistically go in many directions right away: robotic pitfighting dogs to bet on, BigDogs that can also fly, BigDogs that hunt/play paintball, etc. Previously with robots, it was "look at this cool thing that can walk around a room and shake your hand, but ultimately needs us for anything else". Now it's an actual GPS-guided all-terrain surefooted near-cyborg that can act alone.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 09:52:11 PM by Tale »
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 10:26:48 PM

A smaller, lighter, battery powered model would make a great replacement for wheelchairs.

As far as this thing being a "packmule" for the army, I'm having a really hard time seeing where it would be more affordable or convenient than just having soldiers carry their own gear. Plus, when it's using the gas engine it's way, way too noisy.

Also, we need to have some sort of international agreement that autonomous mechanical shit can't be armed. Drones, fine. Remotely controlled fighter, bombers, and tanks - super. Squads of killbots - no fucking thanks.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 10:29:26 PM

Alternatively, we have an agreement that only robots may participate in combat.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 11:15:36 PM

A smaller, lighter, battery powered model would make a great replacement for wheelchairs.

Smaller than you're thinking, but BigDog has a battery powered kid brother, LittleDog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBSK7LYpg9w

Plus, when it's using the gas engine it's way, way too noisy.

Imagine hearing 1000 of them coming at you through the forest.

More of the same company's robots: http://bigdogrobotvideos.com/

EDIT: Click this - the Onion has done a great piece on robots.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 11:21:26 PM by Tale »
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 11:42:21 PM

Now I have to start looking around for hoverships...

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 12:47:50 AM

Now I have to start looking around for hoverships...

US Navy AI UAV (not remote-controlled, it's landing all by itself).

Armed robot being used in Iraq

Now combine these with BigDog and a Refuelling robot.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 12:54:31 AM by Tale »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 03:41:24 AM

Speaking of robots, we're also making advances in the realm of Cyborgs.  I read about this in a copy of "Geek" magazine yesterday.  (Which was a damned interesting mag. I might pick one up fo' realz instead of just mooching from the bookstore.)

So, robots and cyborg prosthetics. Very awesome.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 07:33:17 AM

That thing slipping on the ice freaked me out.

Give that thing 8 legs and I would have nightmares for the rest of my life.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 07:45:44 AM

Anyone else thought it looked like a theatre horse, with two men facing each other inside the horsie costume, sand head?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 09:40:10 AM

Alternatively, we have an agreement that only robots may participate in combat.

I like where this is going.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 11:27:32 AM

Yeah, we've been making some insane progress in terms of robotics.  The US has made some amazing advances in the last decade in drones.  They were pretty basic at the begining, but our newest strike version, the MQ-9 Reaper, can carry several thousand pounds of laser guided bombs and hellfire missles.  If fully loaded with weapons, it can loiter over a battlefield for 14 hours straight.  If loaded with extra fuel and still carrying 1000 pounds of bombs, it can stay in the air for 42 hours straight.  I think they also have limited autonomy, aquireing targets of interest on their own, and waiting for confirmation to engage from controllers (I think I've read that somewhere at least).

Tale already linked the autonomous helecopter drone the Navy has, which is pretty awesome.

The last DARPA grand challenge was a major success, with several cars navigating through an ubran setting full of other cars, intersections, and traffic lights, all on their own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQFEmR50HAk

And while its still a long way from being anything useful, the military has been funding research into human exoskeletons for many years now, and its kind of cool to actually some of the development shown off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNEOI7bYl3c

Oh yeah, and some guys in Alabama attached two of the most advanced combat shotguns ever designed so far to a remote control helicopter in a bid to get the military interested :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDzuRjtHweQ
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 11:29:03 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 05:26:17 AM

The robots are escaping. And the US Navy doesn't care.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 08:43:26 AM

They best lead it out to sea before it dries out.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 04:03:51 AM

Terminator 3 in action (from /.)

...there had been chilling incidents in which the SWORDS* combat bot had swivelled round and apparently attempted to train its 5.56mm M249 light machine-gun on its human comrades.
Of course, Pandora's Box will inevitably be opened again.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 05:42:06 AM

The style of writing on that site (theregister.co.uk) is amusing.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 07:07:59 AM

I suppose if you can spend millions on a hammer, you can get away with spending billions on transporting 300 pounds while sounding like a swam of bees. The problem with deathbots shooting the wrong target is really easy to fix - don't put the wrong sort of target near the fucking deathbots. I mean, if you have robots shooting stuff, and robots carrying around light loads while buzzing, you really don't need a bunch of squaddies there unless you just want something for the MASHbots to sew up.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 02:45:40 AM

Paging Sylia Stingray, paging Dr Sylia Stingray....

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 02:54:29 AM

On one hand, I think the robotic pack mule is cool.

On the other hand, an actual pack mule would still be leaps and bounds more effective.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
DeathInABottle
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 01:16:30 PM

On one hand, I think the robotic pack mule is cool.

On the other hand, an actual pack mule would still be leaps and bounds more effective.
But can the actual pack mule leap?

Showed that video to a bunch of people that don't know the first thing about robotics, and all were completely creeped out by how human it looks - especially slipping around on the ice.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 11:48:59 PM

What I found interesting, is it only looked 'real' when it was falling. When it was trotting along without issue, it seemed as artificial as it should seem, but once it started to slip, it looked like any other 4 legged animal slipping on ice.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 05:53:49 PM

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE..

Or don't, because robots were scary enough with Big Dog.     However, thanks to a Cracked article I saw  Big Dog's human counterpart.

I give you: Petman  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67CUudkjEG4

He's the prototype for Atlas, who will have hands & arms and be able to crawl and turn sideways to go through narrow spaces.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 07:12:38 PM

Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 08:40:47 PM

That's where my brain went too.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

edit: WUA, get ready. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:42:47 PM by Muffled »
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 02:06:44 AM

Wait a sec. Is that robot wearing a pair of rock climbing shoes to trot along?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 04:34:20 AM

He's the prototype for Atlas

<mech>

?

Well, kinda, only not 40' tall and without a "head."  More like the Terminator.

Yeah. I don't know if it's so they can track the feet better or they were just being goofy.  Scientists who make our replacements are bound to be goofy.

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 04:59:22 AM

Yeah. I don't know if it's so they can track the feet better or they were just being goofy.  Scientists who make our replacements are bound to be goofy.

Actually, I was thinking it was a smart move. Rock shoes use very high-traction rubber, so it would be a bit easier to get the robot to stand up in rock shoes, despite their often-goofy shapes. They also tend to have a more rounded heel than standard shoes, which probably also helps the robot.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 02:35:36 PM

Stop speaking logic, Yoru!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 07:30:51 PM

Hmm, looks more like a Mauler.  Smart money says someone has also crafted a skull shaped dome for it to wear though.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 07:59:27 PM

First we teach them to walk and next they learn how to chase us.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 07:33:06 AM

Ok, great it can walk. But how do you fuck it?  why so serious?

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 04, 2011, 07:41:02 AM

Very, very carefully.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The robots are coming  
Jump to: