Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:56:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The robots are coming 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The robots are coming  (Read 213993 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: July 17, 2014, 12:46:33 PM

Cab mode? Where is my robot that cleans up the used condoms in my back seat?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #106 on: July 17, 2014, 12:58:40 PM

I would not want to get into my car after someone else paid for the privilege of riding in it. I've seen what people do to rentals, much less cabs.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #107 on: July 17, 2014, 01:04:28 PM

No one is buying that... you are married now.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #108 on: July 17, 2014, 01:13:26 PM

On the automated car front, what about a subscription car service? You need a car, you "call" one with your app and it drives to your house and picks you up and takes you off wherever for however long, then you let it go. Instead of heading back to a garage, it could easily and probably more cheaply "park" by just driving on the road until someone else calls.

That's the logical endgame IMO and I for one can't wait.  I hate owning a car and being responsible for its parking and maintenance.

In an ideal world you'd add efficiency by having the things form carpools -- I'm fine with having my trip take five minutes longer by making slight detours to pick up other travelers who are going in the same direction if that in turn means it costs a quarter as much (and it should already be cheaper than a Lyft due to not paying a driver).  At that point it's essentially a bus system where the routes and schedules are being created dynamically.

I dearly love public transit and as things stand right now would be happy to just ban cars from the road in favor of more buses, but a system like the above would combined all the strengths of both with almost none of the drawbacks of either.  I'd be fine with that.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: July 17, 2014, 01:15:38 PM

No one is buying that... you are married now.  why so serious?

In cab mode those are someone else's condoms, not mine.  ACK!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #110 on: July 17, 2014, 01:23:38 PM

It's clear none of you did public service or retail work at any point in time. If you had, you'd know that in cab mode you're just lucky it's ONLY condoms AND that the parties involved used them.

Shit smeared on seats, Vomit, Used needles buried in the seats, Cum stains on the windows. All the lighter side of foreseeable consequences.

Your sci-fi geek minds see this all i-Robot or Minority Report taxi service. Clean white vehicles all catering to refined and calm passengers. I know the public and public transportation.  Vehicles will smell like city buses and the New York subway and be as clean.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:26:31 PM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #111 on: July 17, 2014, 01:26:16 PM

My thought was that if car's auto-drive people will fly a lot less. If I can sleep while my car drives itself overnight to Jacksonville? That changes travel forever.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #112 on: July 17, 2014, 01:40:39 PM

It's clear none of you did public service or retail work at any point in time. If you had, you'd know that in cab mode you're just lucky it's ONLY condoms AND that the parties involved used them.

Shit smeared on seats, Vomit, Used needles buried in the seats, Cum stains on the windows. All the lighter side of foreseeable consequences.

It's like you think people have privacy in the here and now, never mind the future.  The system knows who called the cab.  The cab is recording everything that goes on inside it.  If there's an incident (worst case scenario the next person to get the cab hits the "this cab is filthy" button and a new one is routed to them while the old one is routed to the car wash for forensics and decontamination), you get the cleaning bill.  If you want to try to contest it, you don't have a leg to stand on because there's video.

No, I don't give any fucks if someone video tapes me sitting in the back of a car reading a book just to make sure I'm not shitting on the ceiling.  If that's how they get off they're welcome to it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: July 17, 2014, 01:45:51 PM

My experience is based on London cab drivers, who are arguably the most highly qualified in the world, but I don't see them being eliminated by self driving cars any time soon. They offer a variety of customer-services that robots will not be able to replicate in the short or medium term, such as interpreting the destination of drunk/foreign/tired/lost people, helping with baggage/wheelchairs/groceries, and maintaining a clean and pleasant seating area in the back of the car.

Lorry drivers are fucked though. Unlike food and mail delivery vans, the driver doesn't do any of the loading and unloading, so they're more easily replaced.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #114 on: July 17, 2014, 01:58:08 PM

It's like you think people have privacy in the here and now, never mind the future.  The system knows who called the cab.  The cab is recording everything that goes on inside it.  If there's an incident (worst case scenario the next person to get the cab hits the "this cab is filthy" button and a new one is routed to them while the old one is routed to the car wash for forensics and decontamination), you get the cleaning bill.  If you want to try to contest it, you don't have a leg to stand on because there's video.

No, I don't give any fucks if someone video tapes me sitting in the back of a car reading a book just to make sure I'm not shitting on the ceiling.  If that's how they get off they're welcome to it.

Yeah, video taping doesn't stop shit. Ask a cabbie, who's sitting the cab as these things happen already.  Nor does any future scenario outside of "There's no possible way to steal someone's ID and use it" because that's going to happen. A lot.

"This cab is filthy" is a relative thing, as it is with cars now. You can't have that button because of clean-freaks reporting when there's some mud on the floor mats vs a guy who couldn't care less about the 2 weeks of fast food wrappers in his passenger seat.

That's before you get to the guy who dumps his leftover food under the seat and nobody catches it for 2-3 days. 

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #115 on: July 17, 2014, 02:47:22 PM

You sound to me like someone in the 1990s trying to explain how something like Amazon could never exist.  What if the mailman stole the money when you mailed it in to pay for the books?   awesome, for real

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: July 17, 2014, 03:07:37 PM

They'll just hook up the cameras to software designed to recognize what the passengers are doing, and then "IT PUTS ON ITS PANTS OR IT GETS THE TASER"

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #117 on: July 17, 2014, 03:19:16 PM

There will be a ton of cameras and since you can't pay by cash you will have to have an account or at least a credit card so they'll know who you are and will automatically bill you for the damages.  Try to deny it and they upload the video of your drunk ass vomiting as proof, if you were foolish enough to sign in via a social network app they spread the link to all your friends.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #118 on: July 17, 2014, 04:12:06 PM

Since the topic of self-driving vehicles has been broached, I have a question.  Why aren't the teamsters and other long-haul truckers in an absolute dither about self-driving cars?  I'd have thought there'd be huge anti-robot sentiment there.  I saw on a news crawl that CA (?maybe -- might have been another largish state) updated a law to allow robot vehicles with some provisos.  That stuff is rapidly moving from "10-15 years, with some breakthrus" into firm dates and working prototypes.

Once it works, there's gonna be a lot of truckers and other drivers left out in the cold.

Unions aren't what they used to be; they are more a paper tiger now. I'd say the real people that could be under the pressure would be public transportation workers.
They already had (and lost) this fight over self-driving trains/shuttles.  Anyway, the big threat is to long-haul trucking, and they have no real presence left there, anyway.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #119 on: July 17, 2014, 04:40:53 PM

You sound to me like someone in the 1990s trying to explain how something like Amazon could never exist.  What if the mailman stole the money when you mailed it in to pay for the books?   awesome, for real

No, They'll do it but I'm saying it's going to be a disgusting mess because the public is far more vile and filthy than you guys appear to realize. Your first experience cleaning a women's restroom in a bar teaches you this.  This isn't a technical thing it's a social engineering thing.

Private service? Sure. It isn't going public transport any time soon, though.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #120 on: July 17, 2014, 05:51:53 PM

No, They'll do it but I'm saying it's going to be a disgusting mess because the public is far more vile and filthy than you guys appear to realize. Your first experience cleaning a women's restroom in a bar teaches you this.  This isn't a technical thing it's a social engineering thing.

That's just the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory applied to meatspace.  The solution is the same: remove anonymity, add accountability.  Most people who shit up public restrooms would be on better behavior if they were being watched by someone who knew where they lived.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: July 17, 2014, 05:51:59 PM

They'll do it but I'm saying it's going to be a disgusting mess because the public is far more vile and filthy than you guys appear to realize. Your first experience cleaning a women's restroom in a bar teaches you this.  This isn't a technical thing it's a social engineering thing.
Exactly.  This is not a problem that can easily fix itself or be technically manipulated so the person doing the jerking off gets the bill.

And another thing, this may be a great idea for cities and highly populated areas.  Out in the smaller rural areas?  Never going to take off without a ton of cars sitting around waiting for someone to use them.  And "move to the city, hillbilly" isn't an answer either.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #122 on: July 17, 2014, 06:10:15 PM

Yes, but as a resident of Mississippistan, I can safely say the fucking rednecks will remain rednecks until the end of time, which they won't realize is the end until 20 years after the fact.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #123 on: July 17, 2014, 06:22:17 PM

That's just the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory applied to meatspace.  The solution is the same: remove anonymity, add accountability.  Most people who shit up public restrooms would be on better behavior if they were being watched by someone who knew where they lived.

Lots and lots of people really don't give a fuck, even if you know where they live. Then there's the one's who'll deliberately shit things up for a laugh.  Then there's the ones who'll do it because, "Fuck your illuminati robots, you can't mind control us."  All that before the ignorant, "Well, I didn't think it was REALLY a problem" folks.  You know, the kind who do stupid shit like take pieces of cave formations home or touch any art or artifact that isn't behind a half inch of plexi.

You can ban them from a private service and accept your losses when they happen. As soon as things go public costs skyrocket because people are shitty all over, especially in large numbers. Filming them won't change that. Accountability won't change that.

Hell, even a full Orwellian surveillance state won't change it.  We can have cameras literally everywhere with robots watching every move and crime and murder would still happen.  Because people be peoplin'.  But that's far afield from the topic of robot cars.

Beep Boop.

Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: July 17, 2014, 11:27:17 PM

There has been a car-sharing service for a good few years over here (Belgium*, if you must know) already and it's growing in popularity lately.
I actually know a few people that got rid of their car in lieu of that service who are more than happy with it and haven't encountered any 'shit-smearing', 'cum-stained' horror stories.
If they automate those things I'm buying in tomorrow.

*It's a small densely populated country though, basically one big city/suburb in the North so vicinity of vehicles isn't much of an issue.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: July 18, 2014, 04:12:24 AM

http://www.myjibo.com/

A helper robot.  The reality won't be as cool as this, but if it works, it will be a great first step.

http://vimeo.com/21216091

Reminded me of this.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: July 18, 2014, 04:16:25 AM

There has been a car-sharing service for a good few years over here (Belgium*, if you must know) already and it's growing in popularity lately.
I actually know a few people that got rid of their car in lieu of that service who are more than happy with it and haven't encountered any 'shit-smearing', 'cum-stained' horror stories.
If they automate those things I'm buying in tomorrow.

*It's a small densely populated country though, basically one big city/suburb in the North so vicinity of vehicles isn't much of an issue.
Unfortunately most of us Muricans aren't as civilized as our Euro cousins.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: July 18, 2014, 05:52:32 AM

http://vimeo.com/21216091
Reminded me of this.
I couldn't finish watching that for some reason. It's not that it was bad, just something about it got to me.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: July 18, 2014, 06:38:20 AM

Yay!  A spoiled brat doomed the human race by creating a psycho robot.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: July 18, 2014, 08:45:44 AM

Actually Zipcars work really well, from what I understand, in the NYC area.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #130 on: July 18, 2014, 08:55:41 AM

That's pretty much the model I'm envisioning, minus the part of having to get myself to the nearest Zipcar lot.  If the zipcar is just waiting for me outside my house when I need it, and the pricing is such that I only need to pay for it while I'm actually using it (vs paying to have it parked outside my destination all day until I drive it back), it gets a lot more attractive.

Renting cars would never work though, somebody might throw a brick through the windshield or something.   awesome, for real

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #131 on: July 18, 2014, 11:15:10 AM

Private vs Public. I said private services would work.   Ohhhhh, I see.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #132 on: July 18, 2014, 12:13:16 PM

You guys are giving humanity way too much credit. Oh, I can't wait to set my robot car to "taxi" while I work. Then people can leave a bag of coke in it, on accident or on purpose, and I get arrested for it. Also, enjoy the miracle of robotic self-sterilizing public toilets. The car version of this happens within 5 minutes of the things hitting the street.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #133 on: July 18, 2014, 12:46:55 PM

You guys are giving humanity way too much credit. Oh, I can't wait to set my robot car to "taxi" while I work. Then people can leave a bag of coke in it, on accident or on purpose, and I get arrested for it. Also, enjoy the miracle of robotic self-sterilizing public toilets. The car version of this happens within 5 minutes of the things hitting the street.

Jesus christ I can't stop watching and being amazed at how evenly that is spread.  ACK!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #134 on: July 18, 2014, 02:41:38 PM

That's pretty much the model I'm envisioning, minus the part of having to get myself to the nearest Zipcar lot.  If the zipcar is just waiting for me outside my house when I need it, and the pricing is such that I only need to pay for it while I'm actually using it (vs paying to have it parked outside my destination all day until I drive it back), it gets a lot more attractive.

Renting cars would never work though, somebody might throw a brick through the windshield or something.   awesome, for real
There are quite a few Zipcar locations in San Francisco now. You should go to their HQ and bug them if there isn't a stand near you yet. The newly built apartment complex I just moved to in San Mateo (about 20 miles south of where I work in SF) has two Zipcar spots as well. There's a decent assortment of shops within walking distance of where I'm at now and I take the train in to work everyday so in theory I could ditch my car and use the Zipcars if I wanted to.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #135 on: July 20, 2014, 10:33:19 AM

Zipcars are fine for occasional trips but are still not a viable commute option is what I'm getting at.   awesome, for real

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #136 on: July 20, 2014, 10:42:39 AM

Ah okay. Well Zipcar is working on a "one way" service but it's unclear when that might be able available in SF (it's starting in Boston first, supposedly in September).
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #137 on: July 20, 2014, 10:51:58 AM

And for my purposes I'd want it to be one way from SF to the East Bay, which I bet would be a longer time coming (I don't think Alameda even has Zipcar at all yet, at least the area I work in doesn't).  That's why the whole self driving thing appeals to me so much; someone building all that stationary infrastructure in the places where I need it seems like it's going to take longer than someone building a car that'll just bridge the minor gaps on its own.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #138 on: July 20, 2014, 10:56:40 AM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #139 on: July 20, 2014, 11:06:03 AM

Yeah, good luck waiting around on a street corner and finding someone else going TO the East Bay on a weekday morning.   awesome, for real  But again that's where something with automated and centralized planning/routing a la Lyft/Uber would be really useful.

There are apps out there (like Carma) that make the process of finding a carpool buddy easier but as far as I know there isn't anything that organizes trips in real time.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:09:28 AM by Samwise »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The robots are coming  
Jump to: