Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:03:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Justice League: New Frontier 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Justice League: New Frontier  (Read 7836 times)
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

on: March 10, 2008, 11:26:55 PM

Worth seeing.  Best animated superhero movie since Mask of the Phantasm.  Takes place during the Silver Age.  Too violent for kids.  Seriously, check it out.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 11:31:39 PM by Llava »

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 10:22:51 AM

Wife brought home a copy last night, overall I liked the show.

With some minor gripes:

I felt like the politics bludgeoned me a little too hard--but given that the setting is McCarthy-era America, I give it some leeway.

Wonder Woman is a little too stocky.

Batman's voice just doesn't compare to Kevin Conroy's (should have swapped him and Manhunter and it would have been improved, IMO)

Speaking of Manhunter, he just looked kinda goofy.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Llava
Contributor

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 08:42:57 PM

I agree about Manhunter.

I felt Wonder Woman was a bit too stocky, too, until I remembered that they were specifically trying to show her as being stronger than Superman.  A real Amazon, not a supermodel with super strength.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 06:40:29 AM

I youtubed bits of it to get a feel for it.  I don't mind the new Batman voice, really.  I liked the "With you, all I need is a penny for a book of matches" line.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 09:57:59 AM

Was this the one with the "War of the Worlds" feel?  I think I saw it last year.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 01:25:18 PM

I think you're referring to "Secret Origins", which was the pilot three-part episode for the TV series; that's got the big three-legged death-beam robot thingies.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 02:31:47 PM

Yes, that's the one.

I guess the line in the review about revealing their "secret origins" for the first time confused me.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Llava
Contributor

Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 06:22:49 PM

As far as I know, this just recently came out.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 06:56:06 PM

I've been thinking of getting that. Still, I wonder why they didn't use the old JL cast. Among their audience, I'd argue Kevin Conroy is a bigger draw than, say, David Borneaz.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Llava
Contributor

Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 02:05:26 AM

Different continuity?

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 10:50:29 PM

I've been thinking of getting that. Still, I wonder why they didn't use the old JL cast. Among their audience, I'd argue Kevin Conroy is a bigger draw than, say, David Borneaz.

The audience will buy it because it's DC animation.

People outside that usual scope might stop and see what Borneaz brings to the role. Maybe.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 09:40:19 AM

Boreanaz voiced Green Lantern; I didn't recognize the new voice of Batman.  "Xena"/Wonder Woman was vaguely appropriate.  "Doogie" Flash worked all right.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 06:56:06 PM

I don't usually care about this sort of thing, but I almost want to see this one.  The nose-intakes on the jets and Batman's line about "at first I suspected the Communists" did a good job of transmitting the fifties vibe, one which I'm surprised to find appealing.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 05:38:44 AM

I got this movie when it first came out and had to watch it a few times to start liking it. It was not really as good as the book in the slightest, but they really did a good job. I actually liked the Batman in this movie, especially the scene with the Man Hunter. I am also really glad they kept the whole Wonderwoman is massive thing. All in all, it was a fun movie. I am glad I picked it up.

On another note, did anyone get the special edition? How is the extra content on that?

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 07:08:37 PM

I liked his line about a 70K rock for the alien but all I need for you is....

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 10:11:07 AM

Batman's voice: No good.

My favorite hero coming through in the end: Awesome.

All in all, worth the watch. I really enjoyed it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Justice League: New Frontier  
Jump to: