Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:17:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Pirates of the Burning Sea  |  Topic: Pirates of the Burning Sea- Now playing 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pirates of the Burning Sea- Now playing  (Read 92497 times)
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: February 01, 2008, 08:59:46 AM

I was planning on going French anyway, since I figured there would be less and it would be more of an uphill battle in PvP.  Played for 3 hours last night and only dinged level 4 or 5  awesome, for real

The game seems much slower than I remember in beta....
WayAbvPar

Reply #71 on: February 01, 2008, 10:43:55 AM

Are you running missions? The tutorial/introduction to townsfolk should get you to level 3 at least. 3 hours should get your closer to 6 or 7 I would think. Unless you are one of those hippy stop and smell the flower types and not a powerleveler like you should be  swamp poop

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: February 01, 2008, 11:01:25 AM

Not really catassing it nor strolling through the daisies. 

Did they slow combat down?  Seems to take f o r e v e r to take a ship down.
WayAbvPar

Reply #73 on: February 01, 2008, 03:11:32 PM

I didn't notice any difference. You are using heavy round, yes? I always forget when I get a new ship and end up firing basic for a combat or two until I remove my head from my ass.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: February 01, 2008, 04:33:05 PM

I've tried both, actually, and not noticed a single bit of difference.  I could be doing it wrong though.  Been known to happen a time or two.
BoatApe
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: February 04, 2008, 03:05:59 AM

Salvador Valducci reporting for duty...

Tao/Lao has stepped it up and runs a damn fine show from what I've seen as an independant.

Rackham has been a ton o' fun so far. Lots of drama - mostly the good kind - as everyone gets their groove down. It's still early in the game and it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Don't let anyone tell you Freetraders suck at combat. DRILLING AND MANLINESS
WayAbvPar

Reply #76 on: February 04, 2008, 01:36:32 PM

For those of you who are in The Browncoat Alliance on Rackham-

Please to be signing up for the Society web page. We have over 60 characters in the guild, and maybe half have signed up for the forums. We do have a few alts, but there are still quite a few who haven't signed up.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: February 05, 2008, 12:40:05 AM

Rackham has been a ton o' fun so far. Lots of drama - mostly the good kind - as everyone gets their groove down. It's still early in the game and it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Good God yes. If I don't get all-fire pissed off over a game once in a while, I ain't getting my money's worth!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #78 on: February 05, 2008, 07:07:12 AM

This is getting hard to ignore.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: February 06, 2008, 09:21:41 AM

I'm on the French side as Freetrader Honore Houngan, with some WoW guildies. I'm liking the game, though it's very EVE-like in ways both good and bad, as many have said.

One thing I haven't gotten a clear sense of yet: as a level 13, aside from Red Tide, I haven't gotten a group-specific mission. Can you run groups to do the solo missions? Do you just overpower them then or do they scale up to meet the size of the group? Do you end up splitting the reward and XP? Yeah, I know, RTFM, but that's not how I roll when I'm exploring a MMOG in its early stages.

Here's hoping I can get ahead money-wise enough in the next day or so of play to outfit a decent ship for PvP. Right now I'm just tooling about in a civilian sloop and foolishly spending money experimenting with the economy.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: February 06, 2008, 02:27:52 PM

I'm on the French side as Freetrader Honore Houngan, with some WoW guildies. I'm liking the game, though it's very EVE-like in ways both good and bad, as many have said.

If you're on Rackham, delete your French character and go Spanish, if you aren't come join the fun with us who know all the ins and outs of the game in our society.

One thing I haven't gotten a clear sense of yet: as a level 13, aside from Red Tide, I haven't gotten a group-specific mission. Can you run groups to do the solo missions? Do you just overpower them then or do they scale up to meet the size of the group? Do you end up splitting the reward and XP? Yeah, I know, RTFM, but that's not how I roll when I'm exploring a MMOG in its early stages.

You can actually do many of the missions in a group (but some of them are restricted to being solo), and you can go to the "Port Captain" in any port to not only enable your PvP flag, but to increase the relative difficulty of missions from Captain (base level) to Admiral to increase Exp and cash rewards, and number of ships/level you are fighting.

Here's hoping I can get ahead money-wise enough in the next day or so of play to outfit a decent ship for PvP. Right now I'm just tooling about in a civilian sloop and foolishly spending money experimenting with the economy.

At level 13 I don't expect you'll enjoy PvP much, and will probably get destroyed unless you're at least level 20+ and in a group of dedicated people. Also: DO NOT BUY CIVILIAN SHIPS!! They are absolute junk compared to player crafted ones, and although you're paying more (unless you're in a good society with a Laozi shipbuilder) you truly get what you pay for.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: February 06, 2008, 02:36:22 PM

Missions are largely for gold and loot rewards (and niftykeen stories if you're into that kinda thing), so you might want to put them off until you're a few levels above them. Just kill random boats for xp.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: February 06, 2008, 02:41:29 PM

Yeah, I just bought a civilian sloop to get rolling a bit and make some cash.

I started Spanish but my WoW bunch (some other games-related researchers) had an inexplicable obsession with going French. C'est la vie.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #83 on: February 07, 2008, 08:28:28 AM

This is getting hard to ignore.
Since this is on the Station Pass, as soon as the price drops to $20, I'll grab a copy.

By then nobody from f13 will be playing, probably.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: March 11, 2008, 01:45:29 AM

So, Rackham and Spain for this?

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
WayAbvPar

Reply #85 on: March 11, 2008, 08:44:09 AM

That is where the majority of us are, aye. Although there is at least one dirty frog on Rackham from here too (you know who you are, traitor!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? ).

BoatApe
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: March 14, 2008, 12:30:58 PM

Thanks again for the invite Tao/Lao'zi.
My playtimes will be a bit sporadic for a week or two, but then I should be around on a regular basis for a while.

Do you use the vent channel much? I'll check it out next time I'm on.

See y'all on the high seas.

Smilin' Sal Valducci
Spanish FT
The Rack
WayAbvPar

Reply #87 on: March 14, 2008, 01:22:20 PM

I usually log into vent if I am going to be on more than 30 minutes or so. Have been BURIED at work all week so I have barely been on at all.

gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: March 14, 2008, 01:51:23 PM

That is where the majority of us are, aye. Although there is at least one dirty frog on Rackham from here too (you know who you are, traitor!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? ).

Sup?  my what do we have here?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #89 on: March 27, 2008, 10:39:22 AM

Premature post, I bought, installed and patched PotBS last night/this morning.  Planning on joining you lot on Rackham as a Spanish Freetrader, which doesn't exactly match up with my preference and EVE-parallel of Space French Industrialist, but close enough.  I expect to have the name Llegolev Garcia, pretty sure that won't be taken.  I love my handle.

Eh, so, I'm posting this early so I can make a proper call for n00b help, whatever form that might take.  I did play this in beta but I honestly don't have time for the RL responsibilities I currently have, so expect lots of ignorance and AWOL.  Like EVE!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WayAbvPar

Reply #90 on: March 27, 2008, 10:59:27 AM

I finally got off my ass and played last night, so I should be on more often now. PM me when you get set up and we can get you invited and help ya set up your structures if you are so inclined. Veteran tip- make a BUNCH of gravel and common wood with the two 'free' structures from the econ tutorial. You can then use your stores to make your other structures (pretty much all of them use one or both of them along other ingredients). I am guessing that there are less bulk sales now that there are less new characters.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #91 on: March 27, 2008, 11:03:08 AM

Sure thing, chief.  I will try to be on tonight and will PM once I am in game.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: March 29, 2008, 06:04:04 PM

Well, I was looking for a character with that name Llegolev Garcia both times while I was on to add to the society, but it wasn't taking it.

On Rackham, WAP's character is Guido Cordoba, and mine is Laozi Mi'Karma. Send a mail along to one of us, if your name is different or send a tell to one of us in game.

There's some good things in the pipes now, including a bonus experience item in the next patch and a new buddy program, this time with x3 14 days passes for everyone with a subscription.

I'm on late night Eastern time a lot, after work, and on weekends usually.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 06:07:17 PM by taolurker »

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #93 on: April 01, 2008, 12:33:11 PM

There were complications.  As of today, Llegolev Garcia is sailing the seas, schlepping cargo.  Smuggling sounds interesting.

This is how a harem girl dances.

WayAbvPar

Reply #94 on: June 18, 2009, 01:51:23 PM

I noticed that this forum was the only one without new posts in about forever. I couldn't help but bump it. Has anyone played this in the past year?

FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: June 18, 2009, 06:06:49 PM

Haven't played since beta, sorry. I remember the ship combat being really fun, but everything else was shit.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: June 18, 2009, 06:21:42 PM

I noticed that this forum was the only one without new posts in about forever. I couldn't help but bump it. Has anyone played this in the past year?

I had a few free days and checked it out back in March. Avatar combat is still crappy. Ship combat is still awesome. Still would've been about a zillion times better without levels (and this is coming from a guy who doesn't mind levels in the least). I think they need to consolidate down to one server, maybe two at most. It's still a game I want to love.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: June 18, 2009, 08:22:22 PM

I logged back in myself back in April, and there is much less traffic on many servers, and I agree with most of what Modern Angel already said.

There were still 60+ people in the Browncoats, which is probably a good indicator that those people never returned to the game.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: June 18, 2009, 10:51:04 PM

Yeah, I poked in too during free time. I fought a ship battle and liked it, did an avatar fight and didn't see any of the "omg completely different avatar combat", then logged off.

WayAbvPar

Reply #99 on: June 19, 2009, 11:11:30 AM

I had a lot of hope for it before and during beta. When it went live it was nothing like the game they were originally touting (EVE in wooden ships!), but just a hideous unitemized grindfest. I enjoyed the PvP ship fights, but having to slog through 50 levels of mind numbing PvE shit was unbearable.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: June 19, 2009, 08:38:58 PM

Haven't played since beta, sorry. I remember the ship combat being really fun, but everything else was shit.

Over and out.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: July 16, 2009, 09:05:02 AM

Yet another frustrating case of a developer team unable to understand where they have assets in the design and how to capitalize on them, where they a deficit that can't be made up, and where they should be putting in their focused effort to fix a fixable mechanic. The main asset of the game: good ship-to-ship combat engine. The unfixable deficit: avatar combat. That's another game, they didn't choose to make it, and there's nothing they can do to add that back, it's beyond their reach. The fixable mechanic: RvR/PvP structures and the economy. The former they have been all over the place on from the very beginning, unable to decide what would actually be fun and would allow for players to invest in the world in the same fashion as EVE. The economy was the thing that really annoyed me: once you got a closer look at it, you realized that all of its seeming complexity was surface-level bullshit, and that they really had no idea what they were doing with it, that when they game went live it had a simple faucet (missions) and a simple sink (ships destroyed in PvE and PvP + rents for production), and that faucet was dribbling only very slowly into the economy while the sink was open wide. In between you had lots and lots of dummies thinking that production was also a faucet when all it was really doing was moving around the money in the economy from one player to the next. I really despaired at getting either players or devs to understand this pretty basic stuff in forum discussions. I dunno if they ever meaningfully fixed the economy but the last time I played, it was still a disaster, and that was a disaster for the game as it was designed.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #102 on: July 17, 2009, 07:11:09 AM

That was a lot of words to say "They wanted to emulate EVE but added levels."

If they just took out the levels, I'd probably play it again.  Then again, we all know how post-release redesigns go.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Pirates of the Burning Sea  |  Topic: Pirates of the Burning Sea- Now playing  
Jump to: