Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:45:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: ZBoards 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ZBoards  (Read 5777 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

on: October 07, 2004, 07:25:44 AM

Does anyone actually use this?  Evidently, there is one planned for EQ2, also.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 07:31:05 AM

I've been toying with getting one of those for a long time. Now that I have some cash I just might. Though, I really do love my model M, and a sharpie can label all the keys like that also. I can even draw a stick figure on it. Maybe I can make a Kingdom of Loathing Z...board.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 09:48:59 AM

I reserve the right to slap the shit out of anyone I see actually using something like that.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 09:57:42 AM

That might be useful for like, say, the first 3 hours.  After that, a reference card for the rarely-used keys is nearly as handy, and much easier to switch out between games.

I just don't see the point of printing arrows on the default movement keys, especially if those can be changed.  In EQ, for example, almost everyone who played had a different keyboard setup, probably because the default one was so bad.  Many people went to a WASD or ESDF inverted-T for movement, with mouselook; while I know at least one person who used the numberpad for movement so his other hand could be free to hit targetting and spellcasting hotkeys.

Later games have gotten better...  but I still don't see why I'd want a keyboard with the keys labeled especially for one game.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 10:11:17 AM

o_O
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 10:14:55 AM

WoW the game doesn't need it's own keyboard, but the WoW forums do.

You could have individual keys for:

"whine"
"flame"
"nerf"
"OMG the new naming policy won't let me name my character RoxxorMcDewdage"
"why does me hav 2 pay $$ per munth 4 this game"
"incomprehensible blathering"

That should about cover it all.

Um, never mind.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 10:31:38 AM

Quote from: Ardent
WoW the game doesn't need it's own keyboard, but the WoW forums do.

You could have individual keys for:

"whine"
"flame"
"nerf"
"OMG the new naming policy won't let me name my character RoxxorMcDewdage"
"why does me hav 2 pay $$ per munth 4 this game"
"incomprehensible blathering"

That should about cover it all.

Hell. You can program the first several keys of a Nostromo N52 to do that. Don't need to spend the cash on a ZBoard for it. ;)

Also, I can't wait to see Way slap the shit out of Schild when he gets one of those.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 12:27:02 PM

It would be great until someone saw you using it and then laughed at you.

I can see it being a pain if you want to play something else though. I know I don't have room for another keyboard on my desk.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 12:36:35 PM

Cute but I use my left hand to do all the normal commands so the right hand is free for mouse look. I play most mmrpg with a control scheme very much like a FPS game.
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 07, 2004, 12:42:01 PM

F10 is bound to "chicken".

Hee.

Um, never mind.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 12:47:55 PM

F3, F3...

SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 12:49:59 PM

No "Dance" key?  That was WoW's best emote!

Bruce
Liquidator
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 01:15:41 PM

These seem rather pointless to me.  After a few plays through a game,  I usually have all of the commands memorized... except for complex flight sims which takes a while to learn.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 03:16:22 PM

Quote from: WayAbvPar
I reserve the right to slap the shit out of anyone I see actually using something like that.

I'll buy one if you promise to spank me instead.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
hirebrand

Email
Reply #14 on: October 07, 2004, 03:17:07 PM

<? rhetorical>
Is there really a market of people so stupid they forget their keybinds, yet so wealthy they can waste money on this?
</?>
WayAbvPar

Reply #15 on: October 07, 2004, 03:41:42 PM

Quote from: Signe
Quote from: WayAbvPar

I'll buy one if you promise to spank me instead.

If you can clear it with Righ, there is room to negotiate =P

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 07, 2004, 04:10:45 PM

Theres a 'Zee Germans' joke in here somewhere but I'm too damn tired to find it.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
doubleplus
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 07, 2004, 05:08:20 PM

I've seen a few and played with them at a couple conventions. They aren't bad as far as keyboards go, but I haven't had a chance to really game with them. They just don't seem to make any for the types of games I play, and the specific games they do have deals with don't really appeal to me. Perhaps if the EQ2 one is good I'll consider picking one up. Does anyone know if you can change the keybinds on the special keyboards? I figure EQ2 and Ryzom would need similar keys, but would have different default commands, for instance.

WoW! GaH!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #18 on: October 08, 2004, 07:46:10 AM

Quote from: hirebrand
<? rhetorical>
Is there really a market of people so stupid they forget their keybinds, yet so wealthy they can waste money on this?
</?>

People bought the original NGage, the Virtual Boy, and  have paid money to "beta test" the Phantom.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the American consumer market.

AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 08, 2004, 09:02:58 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
Never underestimate the stupidity of the American consumer market.

H. L. Mencken apparently had "first post!" on that.

In related news, apparently P. T. Barnum never made his famous quote about suckers.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: ZBoards  
Jump to: