Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 02:26:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: LASIK thursday, wish me luck! UPDATE 1wk 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LASIK thursday, wish me luck! UPDATE 1wk  (Read 25584 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #35 on: December 20, 2007, 06:45:47 AM

Don't be a downer, man.  I'm pretty sure eyes are reversible.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 20, 2007, 09:03:35 AM

I'm in Selby's boat (AHOY DERE). Stable vision, pretty much ready because the tech has matured quite a lot.

And I could give a fuck about a bargain. IT'S MY EYES. If the doc tells me there's a $100/eye fee for anything remotely sensible, I'm on it. I'm not going to dicker about price for EYE SURGERY. You're fucking nuts if you want your doctor thinking about shit like that when he's applying a LASER to your EYES.

Fuck, I'll tip the dude a couple Benjies just to have him be johhny on the spot. I'll send his wife flowers and promise not to deflower his daughter.

YOUR EYES. IRREVERSIBLE.
No fucking shit. I've been researching Doctors in Houston, and the guy I'm looking at is widely regarded as the best. Not "the cheapest", but "the best". His clinic specialzes in eye restorations (my father and my mother both had their cataracts removed by one of his partners) and their reputation is stellar.

I want someone who is up-to-date, uses the best tools available, and recommends the best treatment for my eyes -- even if the treatment is "You should just stick to glasses".

It's my eyes. I use them all the freakin' time. I'm too old to learn braille.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 20, 2007, 10:09:15 AM

.. I'll send his wife flowers and promise not to deflower his daughter.

Whoa now, don't go too far. It's just eyes after all, and she might be a super hot. (And her parents have money!)

- Viin
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38 on: December 20, 2007, 11:05:48 AM

It's just eyes after all, and she might be a super hot.

Hotness becomes less relevant IF YOU CAN'T SEE.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #39 on: December 20, 2007, 11:06:43 AM

T-2 hours til I get cut.

And your inner jew is weak if you're willing to accept a price up front, everything is negotiable, to think that the doctor is going to program the laser differently for an extra $100 is assanine.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #40 on: December 20, 2007, 12:34:53 PM

It's just eyes after all, and she might be a super hot.

Hotness becomes less relevant IF YOU CAN'T SEE.

In this case, I think it's better to see with your hands instead of your eyes. my what do we have here?
Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 20, 2007, 02:22:05 PM

So..just got home..high as hell on valium  awesome, for real..
Everything is reaaaaaaly blurry right now, but apparently it's supposed to be, the prcedure was fairly painless ecept for actually cutting the flap, the suction thing they put on your eye is quite fucking unpleasant.

Now it basicaly just feels like a bad corneal abrasian, which i've had dozens of so it's nothing too bad, and I should be seeing perfectly by the morning.

Will give another update then, gonna go nap.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 20, 2007, 02:38:09 PM

Now it basicaly just feels like a bad corneal abrasian, which i've had dozens of so it's nothing too bad...

...what in God's name do you do with your eyes?  Stare into sandblasting equipment?

Glad to hear it went well  smiley

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 20, 2007, 02:53:48 PM

Now it basicaly just feels like a bad corneal abrasian, which i've had dozens of so it's nothing too bad...

...what in God's name do you do with your eyes?  Stare into sandblasting equipment?

Glad to hear it went well  smiley
He moderates the WoW forums, and volunteers as a community mod on 4chan.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #44 on: December 20, 2007, 04:38:09 PM

His nap has taken too long.  He is clearly dead by now.  Rest in peace good buddy, I wish I had gotten to know you better.

This is now his remembrance thread.

Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 20, 2007, 05:23:06 PM

I actually contemplated not posting after that last pic just to see what else popped up, that's some funny shit.

Fuzzyness starting to go away, gonna go nap again, eyes still scratchy, really sensitive to light, but I can see.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #46 on: December 20, 2007, 07:27:04 PM

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #47 on: December 20, 2007, 07:49:08 PM

Wake up Nerf, it's time to play some Team Fortress with your new eyes!
schild
Administrator

Reply #48 on: December 20, 2007, 08:25:22 PM

Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 20, 2007, 09:11:20 PM

Easily.  I havn't laughed that hard in a long fucking time.  My hat is tipped to you sir.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 20, 2007, 10:45:14 PM

Quote from: Sky
YOUR EYES. IRREVERSIBLE.
Which is exactly why I was so picky about my doctor.  He has been doing procedures since the mid 1980's and has been pioneering different techniques using the latest technology.  He was the most expensive I've ever heard quoted, but I sure as hell wouldn't go to a $500/per eye mill or a hack like Dr. Kawesch (or whatever his name is).  Vision right now is irreplaceable and I'd rather suffer glasses for the rest of my life than lose The Vision.

Stare into sandblasting equipment?
Ever stared at an arc blast or a laser discharge?  That will do it ;-)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 20, 2007, 11:15:08 PM

I like how I look with glasses, I look too studly without them.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 21, 2007, 06:59:57 AM

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
schild
Administrator

Reply #53 on: December 21, 2007, 07:13:41 AM

Glasses humanize me. Otherwise people quickly noticed I'm an advanced cyborg from the FUTURE.

Stupid uncanny valley.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 21, 2007, 07:16:21 AM

Glasses humanize me. Otherwise people quickly noticed I'm an advanced cyborg from the FUTURE.

Stupid uncanny valley.

Cue evil monkey santa and bleeding walls!

Also, 20/25R 20/30L one day out from surgery, only supposed to get better from here.

Danzig motherfuckers!

Edit:  All hail Schild!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 12:42:24 AM by Nerf »
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 21, 2007, 07:19:02 AM

Good news.  Glad to hear it went well.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #56 on: December 21, 2007, 08:53:29 AM

Yeah, cool beans. Enjoy seeing stuff!

my what do we have here?

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 21, 2007, 09:57:04 AM

Nerf with better vision?

Note to self:  Never play TF2 again.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 28, 2007, 08:35:02 AM

1 Week out, 20/20 left eye, 20/15 right eye, 20/15 blended, and it's actually supposed to get better.   awesome, for real

Now if only it gave me x-ray vision too, perfect vision is kind of unfulfilling when I can't see through womens clothes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #59 on: December 28, 2007, 08:46:56 AM

I'd give you some kind of woohoo smiley thing, but I'm not Signe. Good for you, Nerf!
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 28, 2007, 06:14:12 PM

When the laser does it, it displaces material rather than cutting it
Uhm, how the hell is that possible? Unless by displacing he meant vaporized, but that doesn't sound so good.

Generally, fact that it's irreversible procedure and that two biggest LASIK clinic owners (both professors from near Research/University Hospital) still use old fashined glasses is a hint for a no for me:)
croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: December 29, 2007, 05:54:01 AM

When the laser does it, it displaces material rather than cutting it
Uhm, how the hell is that possible? Unless by displacing he meant vaporized, but that doesn't sound so good.

Generally, fact that it's irreversible procedure and that two biggest LASIK clinic owners (both professors from near Research/University Hospital) still use old fashined glasses is a hint for a no for me:)

Joe -- LASIK and PRK do not correct for presbyopia or age-related weakening of the eye muscles.  That's why old people wear reading glasses.  They do offer as part of the procedure to set each eye slightly off near/farsighted to correct for this but it makes your regular vision weaker.  Not that this is why those Profs. wear glasses but it is a possibility.

I had PRK done back in May.  Hurt like nothing I've ever experienced before for the first 48 hours.  I spent that time in a percocet induced haze so I don't have much direct memory of it.  Vision was blurry and light sensitive for about two weeks.  20/15 in both eyes now and haven't had any dry eyes in months.  I always hated contacts due to difficulty putting them in as I have a Neanderthal type brow.  Glasses I can't stand because I had to have them perfectly clean or that one blurry spot would drive me crazy.  The procedure has been worth every penny to me.

What may at first appear to be an insurmountable obstacle will in time be seen for what it really is: an impenetrable barrier.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #62 on: December 29, 2007, 10:54:46 AM

So you look more or less like this now? DRILLING AND MANLINESS
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #63 on: December 29, 2007, 03:44:25 PM

That smiley has a lazy eye beam.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: December 29, 2007, 04:43:52 PM

1 Week out, 20/20 left eye, 20/15 right eye, 20/15 blended, and it's actually supposed to get better.
Pretty much what happened to me (except 20/15 left eye dominant).  Any halos and night sensitivity problems went away in the first 3-4 weeks and dry eyes went away after about 2 months.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: December 29, 2007, 04:45:41 PM

Halos and night sensitivity isn't really that bad right now, but I'm glad to hear it's going to get even better.

My question is if my eye dominance is going to switch now, being right handed and left eye dominant is a real pain in the ass when shooting, I'm hoping now that the right is stronger i'll end up dominant in that eye.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: December 29, 2007, 05:59:06 PM

right handed and left eye dominant

Weird....
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #67 on: December 29, 2007, 06:27:42 PM

My question is if my eye dominance is going to switch now, being right handed and left eye dominant is a real pain in the ass when shooting, I'm hoping now that the right is stronger i'll end up dominant in that eye.

Explain this too me.  Even with a weaver stance I assume it would not matter- not at perfect eye vision. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #68 on: December 29, 2007, 09:43:00 PM

I'm 20/20 and 20/15 .

Can Lasik help me become more awesome? My Canklevision is strong, but I could use some help in other areas.

But seriously, could Lasik actually be used on someone who already has normal (or superior) vision?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: December 29, 2007, 09:54:41 PM

But seriously, could Lasik actually be used on someone who already has normal (or superior) vision?
The lady in the room during my consultation had 20/20 and 20/30 vision and was wanting lasik to make it better.  The doctor said that she really wasn't a good candidate for it as the best results they typically see are 20\20 with some people getting 20\15, but any more than that just doesn't normally happen due to the way the eyes focus (it is a lens and whatnot).  He essentially told her that she would be wasting her money and that he would not really feel a need to operate on her (especially since her vision was still changing).

Quote from: SnakeCharmer
Quote from: Nerf
right handed and left eye dominant
Weird....
I have the same "problem" or situation.  Left eye dominant and mostly right handed - I shoot and throw left handed and can do almost anything with both hands without much issue besides writing pretty.  It's kind of bizarre because so many people in my life have said that I obviously can't be left eye dominant because I am right handed, but it doesn't necessarily follow that rule.  I do know that right now my left eye is the strongest at 20\15.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: LASIK thursday, wish me luck! UPDATE 1wk  
Jump to: