Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:16:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Different Formats, Favorite Decks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Different Formats, Favorite Decks  (Read 5972 times)
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

on: September 30, 2004, 07:37:00 PM

I was just wondering what everyone here preferred to play, format-wise, and if anyone is interested in sharing a few deck ideas.  

I used to draft fairly often, with my rating hovering between 1730-1770 for Mirrodin Block and a bit lower for OLS, but I've gotten tired of MD5 lately, so I've been playing the different casual formats when I get a chance to play.  

My favorite formats are Prismatic and Tribal, and I've got, or am tuning, a number of decks for each.  Current favorite decks include my singleton-legal Prismatic deck, and my Wurm and Knight tribal decks.  The knight deck is rather nasty, as it uses the various color-killing Paladins (Western, Eastern, etc.) and Distorting Lens to destroy any creature.  Decks in the works include an Imp deck I can't seem to get right, a Minion deck, and a creatureless Prismatic deck based around control and tokens.  

I'm also putting my old reanimator deck back together- loved playing that deck when it was standard legal.  

I really like the multiplayer games, but they take SO BLOODY LONG to play that I eventually stopped.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 08:57:42 PM

I'm getting pretty heavy into tribal. I've got a cleric deck and a rat deck, as well as a cephalid deck that should soon be in working order since I picked up two Aboshans.

I'm also getting more and more into prismatic, though I really hate how little you can control the flow of the deck. Things like Future Sight and other enablers for topdeck control are near necessary.

I think one of the big problems is that MtGO is the perfect system for having highly customized and niche tournaments (like an extended tribal tournament or 2hg tourney); yet, they take no advantage of it.
fear and loathing
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 09:23:53 PM

I play extended, since I don't like 8th Edition/Mirrodin block.  I have two decks, "Wake" and threshold.  I have 15 tickets to burn, though, so I'll probably end up making something new pretty soon.

Kamigawa needs to hurry.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 06:59:45 AM

I play whatever edition was out just before Ice Age, when I stopped buying cards. I've got enough to play, don't need more, kthx.

Mostly use an all-white deck with Serras and whatnot, sometimes a weenie deck or a black/red deck that's fairly nasty with vampires and DD.
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 10:05:18 AM

I play standard and block constructed, plus drafts. The reason I only play standard and block is because I don't have ANY non-standard cards, and most of my cards are block (sold/trashed my old cards when I quit before in Mirage).

Well, I guess you could also say I play extended since alot of people in Bat Country have extended decks, and its no biggy to do so.
Anonymous

Email
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 09:38:14 AM

I have an insanely lame Shared Fate deck.  I love it, but even when I load it with single-mana artifact hate, its just too slow for affinity decks.
ArtificialKid
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 09:39:12 AM

Quote from: Anonymous
I have an insanely lame Shared Fate deck.  I love it, but even when I load it with single-mana artifact hate, its just too slow for affinity decks.

This was me btw.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 12:26:11 PM

I like Open, because the gloves are off. Pity I don't have that many cards, though, but I have a 50-card (to be pruned to 40) deck of soldiers, including 13 (!) of that 2/1 guy I forget the name of.

People just get so used to playing with "regulation" decks that they enforce the 4-card rule on themselves. They go "can you DO that??!!" when I tell them that rule doesn't apply to Open. Plus there are no banned cards or limited or whatever. Pure, old-style, pre-tournament-rules Magic, as it was meant to be played.

But mostly I end up playing Prismatic or Singleton, with a taste of Tribal.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 09:18:44 AM

Quote from: AOFanboi

People just get so used to playing with "regulation" decks that they enforce the 4-card rule on themselves. They go "can you DO that??!!" when I tell them that rule doesn't apply to Open. Plus there are no banned cards or limited or whatever. Pure, old-style, pre-tournament-rules Magic, as it was meant to be played.

Well, not to make myself sound like a dick but :  YOU CAN DO THAT ??!

That explains why I lose so many open games.  Fucking hell.

As for me, I think the mirrodin exp sucks donkey doos and I prefer a more refined gaming experience.  Playing exclusively in the 8th ed leagues at the moment.  And yes, I'm getting my fud kicked.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 07:42:50 PM

Quote from: ArtificialKid

This was me btw.

Hmmm.  Had a friend that played a Shared Fate deck in regular Friday Night Magic's at a store.  He played with no win conditions,  and it was essentially U/W Type II with all win conditions removed.  He'd count on using his opponents win conditions against him.  

A few times, he got wins because people read Shared Fate,  and conceded.

It also helped that his entire sideboard was the missing win conditions from U/W control.... (Exalted Angel, Eternal Dragon, Decrees)

Right now,  been having fun with White/Green Lifegain in Type II.  The whole goal is to power-up the Ageless Entity to ridiculous heights.  It's a nice mix of good cards (Baloth, Renewed Faith, couple of Wraths) and questionable/janky cards (Essence sliver, Lox Warhammer, Auriok Champ) with acceleration and a sideboard of arty hate.
ArtificialKid
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 07:25:40 AM

Quote from: Johny Cee
Quote from: ArtificialKid

This was me btw.

Hmmm.  Had a friend that played a Shared Fate deck in regular Friday Night Magic's at a store.  He played with no win conditions,  and it was essentially U/W Type II with all win conditions removed.  He'd count on using his opponents win conditions against him.  

A few times, he got wins because people read Shared Fate,  and conceded.

It also helped that his entire sideboard was the missing win conditions from U/W control.... (Exalted Angel, Eternal Dragon, Decrees)

I started with all black discard, since keeping your opponent's hand size low is critical to the Shared Fate strategy, but that's too costly/slow against raffinity and the like.  I settled on all blue removal/lockdown, even though it will be used against you at some point.  The key is just getting the damn thing on the board.  I also found it acceptable to throw some creatures with the condition text "are returned to it's owner's hand" in the mix.  Serum Powders are key as well, I can usually mulligan five or six times until I get a SF in hand.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Different Formats, Favorite Decks  
Jump to: