Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:17:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Bad quests/Annoying quests in EQ2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bad quests/Annoying quests in EQ2  (Read 42443 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 11:36:41 AM

Trial of Harclave.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I know people who have lavished praise on it. It pwned my SK a couple times before I gave up (8 hr lockout ftl). Just got pwned with my wizard last night, but at least I took out the first named in the Arc portion (post-buff) thanks to being able to invis over to him. Was trying to clear the area around the second named because there were wanderers, got taken down hard by the first group in that area I tried. Thought I'd be ok if I kept away from the wanderers, but no deal.

I officially hate that quest and it basically cockblocks me from TS porting. No big deal on my SK who can hit TS/Nek from Neriak docks, but I'm real tired of humping over there from Qeynos with my wizard.
Chorulle
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 23, 2008, 04:48:00 PM

Trial of Harclave.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I know people who have lavished praise on it. It pwned my SK a couple times before I gave up (8 hr lockout ftl). Just got pwned with my wizard last night, but at least I took out the first named in the Arc portion (post-buff) thanks to being able to invis over to him. Was trying to clear the area around the second named because there were wanderers, got taken down hard by the first group in that area I tried. Thought I'd be ok if I kept away from the wanderers, but no deal.

I officially hate that quest and it basically cockblocks me from TS porting. No big deal on my SK who can hit TS/Nek from Neriak docks, but I'm real tired of humping over there from Qeynos with my wizard.

Most of the praise for this instance  was from folks who did it right after Splitpaw was released, since it was really good XP at the time.  However, I believe it was nerfed quite a bit to break that, so now it is kind of meh.  Still, it's worth doing once to get the teleport unlocked to Splitpaw but there is way to much other content to do now to waste much time in Splitpaw

"Saying that nobody needs more then web apps is like saying noone needs a fridge because we can all drive to T.G.I. goddamn Friday's for chicken wings"

- Walt Mosspuppet (Mike Arrington is wrong: Chrome OS won't matter)
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 24, 2008, 01:12:27 AM

It's really about going slow and making sure you only agro one group at a time.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 24, 2008, 08:08:07 AM

It's really about going slow and making sure you only agro one group at a time.
I am aware of this and yet I still get my ass handed to me. It's the larger groups of +3 lvl ^^^ heroics that get me either way.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 12:01:58 PM

How did the arena battle go for you?

UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: January 25, 2008, 05:49:36 AM

Harclaves has gone through a ton of changes since it was first released.

Back when Splitpaw first came out it was pretty much how I ground my Swash up to 50. The experience used to be awesome and the loot was the normal non-named chance for heroic loot. So you'd come out of there with tons of adepts and an occasional master. It was also pretty darn easy and my Swash could clear the entire zone in less than an hour. In the beginning dps classes had a definite advantage as the buff was the same for everybody.

Then they started making a bunch of changes to the zone, I don't remember what order these happened but here's a rough list:

-- They changed the buff depending on what arch-type your class was. Healers got a bigger damage shield and DPS mod but less regen, Melee got more regen but a smaller dps mod. etc... Totally jacked up some classes and made it near impossible to complete.

-- They nerfed the everloving shit out of the experience in the zone and made most of the exp come on the quest completion.

-- They nerfed the loot drops into oblivion

-- They added the lockout timer

Back when it was released pretty much everyone did nothing but Harclaves runs to level up. Anymore the zone is probably never used outside of picking up a few AA points by running it once.

A fun bit of trivia: When AA's were first added the first point for Conj & Nec was in a skill called "possess pet" which lets you control your pet for a brief time. If you possessed your pet then clicked the arc to get the buff your pet would actually be buffed instead of your char. This had a couple effects, first you now had an uber pet that could own 2-3 of those groups at once and second you didn't get hit by the experience debuff. That meant you could roll through the zone wasting heroics like they were green solo mobs and getting full exp. Good times...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 25, 2008, 07:14:44 AM

How did the arena battle go for you?
Cakewalk. And I know how to take on Heroics, though groups in tight quarters can still give my wizard some problems. I've been pointedly practicing against heroic groups lately.

I don't really care about the 'nerfing' of Harclaves, what people were doing isn't my style of gameplay. I just want the goddamned TS teleport for my Qeynos-based wizard so I can skip the Antonica bird ride. Another reason Neriak is the best city (lag aside): dock porters to TS and Nek.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #42 on: January 25, 2008, 10:24:13 AM

You can bell to TS for 60s from the Qeynos docks and skip the Antonica bird ride that way.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 25, 2008, 11:14:42 AM

Yeah, I forgot about that. Still gotta endure the QH lagfest, but better than the bird, I guess.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #44 on: January 25, 2008, 12:27:20 PM

QH lagfest is nowhere near what it used to be though...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 28, 2008, 06:07:15 AM

True. Neriak at the end of a long playsession is an almost guaranteed CTD with the out of memory error. And slideshow lag otherwise, something seems unoptimized or something in there, which sucks because it's functionally the best city. Graphics lag, because it's not too bad when I crank things back to crap settings.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 28, 2008, 01:13:13 PM

Random gripe: Why do wizards get the shaft with ports in EQ2? Seems every other zone has a druid ring and I have three stinkin ports (plus maybe that one in Kunark I don't have yet).

Whatthefuck? Played a wizard in EQ and he was the friggin' rambling man.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #47 on: January 28, 2008, 01:14:49 PM

My guess is that travel is pretty damn easy regardless, so they kept the ports down. In EQ1, it was the only viable means so they spread out the ability more.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: January 28, 2008, 01:35:29 PM

Except that druids can port all over the place. And SoW. Again. Wizards got a little shafted is all I'm sayin'. Easier travel or not, if droods got it, why not wizards, too?
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #49 on: January 28, 2008, 02:04:05 PM

EQ2 needs easier travel across the board.  First time it's an adventure.  100th time it's anti-fun.

"Me am play gods"
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: January 28, 2008, 02:14:51 PM

EQ2 needs easier travel across the board.  First time it's an adventure.  100th time it's anti-fun.

/signed.  I'd support a few more "voyage by sea" places.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 28, 2008, 02:17:10 PM

Except that druids can port all over the place. And SoW. Again. Wizards got a little shafted is all I'm sayin'. Easier travel or not, if droods got it, why not wizards, too?

Why not everyone?  I mean what's the harm in giving all classes access to some type of port system.  Making it class specific seems archaic.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 29, 2008, 05:09:52 AM

EQ2's travel was never really much of an issue that I saw once you had been somewhere once -- between bells, carpets, birds, horses, etc. It does require knowing your options though and Qeynos has a bit of an advantage. The only real blocks I can think of are the spires and the boat to Kunark, both of which are 5 minutes or so at most? (And getting lost in KOS, but that's my problem--the clouds definitely need a subways style route map). EQ2 has the lowest travel of any of the games I regularly play, whenever I play WOW or LOTRO I'm always shocked at the amount of time I spend travelling, either on glacial birds or long runs.

The why doesn't a wizard thing is the fundamental flaw in EQ2 more broadly translated to "why doesn't EQ2 have (EQ1feature)?"  Anyone thinking of doing a sequel game should take a good long look at that one because it really frustrates people. And there's enough people with enough features that didn't translate to make the answer "because it doesn't" unpalatable. I imagine we'll see people saying the same thing in Warcraft even though it's not a direct sequel.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 29, 2008, 06:56:02 AM

Eh, Qeynos only has the advantage of a carpet in the harbor. 60s for a bell to TS or Nek when Neriak gets them free?

Qeynos - Antonica, Sinking Sands
Freeport - Commonlands
Neriak - TS/Nek
Kelethin - screwed?

And the TS/Nek gets you the Zek/EL/Feerrott/Everfrost etc. Sounds to me like the game needs a travel revamp that'd be pretty simple to do. Just add more destinations via context menu or something. Qeynos and Freeport at least need a carpet and TS/Nek access (without paying 60s). Neriak should add a carpet and Commonlands, though Commonlands also sucks in bird placement and dock distance from the city. Kelethin needs to be unscrewed, at least a carpet and bell to BB docks.

And something that occurred to me as I trudged for the zillionth time up the valley from the Antonican bird by TS to the TS zone door...what sadist designed that long valley?

Too bad Hartsman is gone, he might actually read this and get something done.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: January 29, 2008, 07:04:06 AM

Qeynos also has the advantage of carpet to Sinking Sands, then carpet to Butcherblock.

UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 29, 2008, 07:23:09 AM

Qeynos also has the advantage of carpet to Sinking Sands, then carpet to Butcherblock.

Neriak/TD is even better in that regard. Carpet to SS, then Carpet to TD which has Griffon to BB. Easy access to all 3 areas.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: January 30, 2008, 12:01:33 PM

Levelling 43-47 Sage in the time it takes for 40-41 Provisioner (banahr). Provisioner rocks but all the good recipes are at the end of the tier and it's grindy grindy. Not as bad as armor or weapons because it's way easier to get bushes than metal, but still...thank god for the ipod imo.

(Note: I rant because I mostly enjoy the game)
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 30, 2008, 12:32:32 PM

I have been crafting up a storm lately, and even though I generally like EQ2 crafting....it quickly becomes mind-numbing.  Add to that it is hard to get motivated with weaponsmithing (horrible choice I know)- nothing really sells that well and the t8 stuff is really ho-hum.  So I am exclusively doing writs.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 30, 2008, 12:32:51 PM

Levelling 43-47 Sage in the time it takes for 40-41 Provisioner (banahr). Provisioner rocks but all the good recipes are at the end of the tier and it's grindy grindy. Not as bad as armor or weapons because it's way easier to get bushes than metal, but still...thank god for the ipod imo.

(Note: I rant because I mostly enjoy the game)

As a 40+ provisioner you should be grinding rush orders. They are a bit tough before 40 but your buffs are good enough now where you should be able to bang them out with 2-3 minutes to spare. And it's nice to get that 7-8% exp bonus every 6 combines not to mention you're leveling your guild at the same time.

Edit to add: I have some sort of crafting disease. I now have 2 Alchemists (71,53), 2 provisioners (75, 38) 2 Sages (55, 51), 2 Jewelers (61, 30), 2 Woodworkers (68,32) and at least one of everything else in the 60's or 70's. Most of the time I just have a crafter up on the laptop while I'm studying or player poker on the other PC but there have actually been times where I've 2-boxed crafting... I have a problem...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 12:36:19 PM by UD_Delt »
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #59 on: January 30, 2008, 01:19:30 PM

My main is a 21 provisioner. If I want to grind writs, how many of each tier appropriate base ingredient do I need and how much fuel?

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: January 30, 2008, 01:33:33 PM

Shiz, you make it sound scientific. I get a bunch of stuff, once I have a stack I craft until I run out of rest xp bonus, then I get more stuff.

Delt, rush orders use up more stuff. I usually grind out basic meat steaks until mid-tier, then make stacks for my 2 adventuring characters for the rest of the tier, which uses up the rest of the bush components. Not optimal from an xp viewpoint, but it maximizes resources and products (after the mid-tier switch, want some wyrm steaks? :P). However, with the abundance of bushes to harvest everywhere, I'll give it a shot. T5 is definitely when writs become more worthwhile imo. I don't have my prov in BC because I didn't want to spam the guild with all my alts and he wasn't doing writs.

I have a 45 armor, 30 weapon, 50 wood, 20ish carp, 47 sage, 41 prov, 30ish alch, 40ish jew, 40ish tailor. I do crafting while doing critical listening on the ipod, examining guitar styles or memorizing songs I want to learn. Just found a cool tune by Son House, "American Defense" about WW2 I want to learn...

Woodworker rocks, but armorcrafting got a huge boost and lots of people are wearing mastercrafted these days.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 31, 2008, 04:08:47 AM

Eh, Qeynos only has the advantage of a carpet in the harbor. 60s for a bell to TS or Nek when Neriak gets them free?

Qeynos - Antonica, Sinking Sands
Freeport - Commonlands
Neriak - TS/Nek
Kelethin - screwed?

In addition to having the same 60s to TS/Nek option as Qeynos, Freeport also has a carpet to SS. They really need to move the carpet in Darklight Woods into Neriak.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 31, 2008, 06:06:25 AM

Sky,

If you're worried about resource usage just do the x0 writs until you hit x4 or x5. The recipes from those writs all use the 1 resource, 1 liquid/dough, and 1 fuel formula. Then once you reach x4 or x5 you'll have all of the discovery exp from the x1-x4 recipes to gain another level or two. After that you can pick whichever are the best x6 or x7 recipes to grind on that's best for your chars and use the least rare(ish) resources.

And in regards to the boost to Armor it's been like fucking Christmas for my tailor. Roots and pelts are usually under 10g each for pretty much every tier and for some reason no other tailors on my server have realized people really want the new mastercrafted armor so there's usually not much on the broker. I've been buying up all the >10g pelts and roots I can find and reselling armor from 50g - 1p for each piece and I can barely keep it in stock. I've probably already made 15-20p since the change without really trying.

If you have a 40ish tailor that means you can do tier 2, 3 and 4 Tranquil cloth armor. That shit sells like hotcakes.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: February 06, 2008, 03:48:22 AM

My main is a 21 provisioner. If I want to grind writs, how many of each tier appropriate base ingredient do I need and how much fuel?

I think I worked it out that with out ts vit, to go from 40 - 50 Jeweler I needed 1200 roots, 800 metals and 600 gems. + fuels that I just re-bought every time I ran out. As mentioned its better just to let your vit build and craft then.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: February 06, 2008, 06:26:39 AM

Resource requirements are kind of weird. Up until T7 they keep increasing by about 1 or2 resources per combine each level. IE... A recipe in T3 that uses 2 roots will use 4 roots in T5 and up to 8-10 roots in T7.

That all changed in T8 and requirements went back down to about what they are for T4.

Some of the T7 recipes are just crazy. My tailor can burn through a stack of 200 roots in 15-20 combines. Some of the recipes take up to 12 roots plus a pelt or two.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: February 06, 2008, 06:48:59 AM

I can't believe you guys are complaining about how much resource usage goes into high end crafting. I suppose you just want everything handed to you why dont u go play a single player oblivion!1!@e u ned 2 ERN ur stuf! otherwies it has noe meening!

Where green button lulz?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #66 on: February 06, 2008, 11:15:44 AM

Crappy quest? The damn zookeeper quest in Ak'Anon. (Or should I call it, "Suck'Anon"?).

Mobs that never stop spawning and will attack you through the floor and through the ceiling. Lovely.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: February 06, 2008, 11:44:14 AM

It's kinda funny, I snuck through Klakanon Monday night to do some quests. I went down for the zoo quest and decided I wouldn't be grabbing the knapsack part. Died once learning that, then died again getting the exploration experience (and quest update) for Retrofitting. It's ok, wizards die a lot, I'm used to it.

Also decided to cancel the Bulka Bloodhorn quest, don't think I'll be able to take out the few lvl 44 minos to clear enough room to do Bulka without a lot of hassle. Was going to pop Meldrath and the other two nameds in there for AA, but eh.

Headed over to Lesser Fay for most of last night, dingered 54. Going to have to do some sagery now that my vitality is back up. 50+ spells are $$$$ that I don't have.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: February 10, 2008, 08:47:14 AM

Crappy quest? The damn zookeeper quest in Ak'Anon. (Or should I call it, "Suck'Anon"?).

Mobs that never stop spawning and will attack you through the floor and through the ceiling. Lovely.
QFT. That area's as bad as Drafling was back in the day (not that I think they fixed Drafling, just no one goes there anymore)

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: February 12, 2008, 06:36:10 AM

Apparently after the last patch, quest mobs aren't spawning properly. Lots of bitching on the boards, folks can't finish HQs or Epics. I was trying to get the Minion of Ro last night and the mobs were not in the library where they were supposed to be, wasted about an hour (my entire playtime) looking for one. Looks like it's crafting week, hope not everyone gets that idea and empties out the harvest nodes like the time rare harvest drop rate was tweaked.

Geldoned to add:
GAMEPLAY

All NPCs are now respawning correctly.
Low-memory countermeasures will kick in faster on Windows.
Woohoo! I get the memory CTD in Neriak almost every time, and occasionally in Pillar of Flame and a couple times in Kelethin if I'd been playing a long time (max graphics settings, which are fine everywhere else).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 01:19:21 PM by Sky »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Bad quests/Annoying quests in EQ2  
Jump to: