Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 11:50:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition 0 Members and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  (Read 822625 times)
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1715 on: September 03, 2009, 07:30:38 PM

Well, I just signed up for this. Patching now. I'm estimating about an hour for the 178 MB patch they have.  awesome, for real

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1716 on: September 03, 2009, 08:52:21 PM

Stop trying to make a forum for something 5 people won't be playing in a month. >_<

But you did for WAR...  awesome, for real

Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1717 on: September 03, 2009, 09:22:26 PM

The names are precious.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1718 on: September 04, 2009, 12:03:57 AM

The names are precious.

Near-sighted gynecologist?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1719 on: September 04, 2009, 07:49:03 AM

During our nightly maintenance, a new member of our Network Operation team incorrectly updated our patching manifest file. The result of this error required us to do a complete resync of the patching system and affected log-ins. Fortunately our infrastructure is highly resilient, so while the transfer of this much data was a lengthy process; it wasn’t a difficult one. This resync resulted in no character or game data loss, just an unfortunately extended period of down time.
Due to the lengthy down time we will be extending all affected subscribers an additional day of free game time. Our desire is to have you as unaffected by this issue as possible, and we apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused.

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=53646

Wonder if that "new member" has been properly chastised swamp poop  At least they did the proper thing and gave an extra day.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1720 on: September 04, 2009, 09:43:56 AM

I do appreciate the honesty or at least the appearance of it.  I'd hate to be the guy who screwed it up.  I wonder which version it was?  The happy puppy "look I saved us a bunch of work by doing this..." or the oh shit "Guys, I pointed the patcher at the wrong directory..." either way it sucks to be him.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1721 on: September 04, 2009, 09:48:31 AM

Reinforces the "Cryptic has too many balls in air" theme.  Newbs are being given critical tasks without proper preparation.

"Me am play gods"
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1722 on: September 04, 2009, 11:30:18 AM

At least they didn't make a youtube video...

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1723 on: September 04, 2009, 11:38:25 AM

Reinforces the "Cryptic has too many balls in air" theme.  Newbs are being given critical tasks without proper preparation.

It's called lack of fundage available to pay for appropriate levels of experience/skill.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1724 on: September 04, 2009, 12:43:29 PM

This game just keeps on giving.  Just when WAR was slacking off, too.

Heart

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1725 on: September 04, 2009, 12:43:56 PM

Heck, they should hire up Barnett and have a public branding, haha.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:37:52 PM by schild »
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1726 on: September 04, 2009, 02:44:35 PM

My first impression of this game isn't so great. First and foremost, it is the busiest MMO ever. Way too much crap going on at once all around you. Its nearly seizure enducing. I presume it may calm down after a bit, but that newb area sirens going off all the freakin time is just nerve grating.

Secondly, the female face...well, there's basically just one. You can alter it a little bit without it going from moderately normal to deformed monstrosity, but any meaningful changes to create more than one female face are essentially non-existent. I guess its not important to anyone who wants a superhero that isn't humanoid.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #1727 on: September 04, 2009, 02:57:21 PM

I can barely play anymore. Severe lag spikes and rubberbanding, plus getting dropped. Doesn't seem to be a Cryptic issue because I'm redlining in WoW too. So much for my 4 day gaming weekend.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1728 on: September 04, 2009, 03:33:51 PM

Secondly, the female face...well, there's basically just one. You can alter it a little bit without it going from moderately normal to deformed monstrosity, but any meaningful changes to create more than one female face are essentially non-existent. I guess its not important to anyone who wants a superhero that isn't humanoid.
Is it different for the male face?  I think a large portion of my first impressions rant was dedicated to this.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1729 on: September 04, 2009, 04:29:32 PM

Is it different for the male face?
Similar but then i think for both genders it sort of goes with the whole superhero appearance thing. I mean, as far as faces and bodies go most of these guys are like something straight from ctrlaltdel, with the costume and skin tone/eye/hair colour being the only thngs to really set them apart.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1730 on: September 04, 2009, 06:37:22 PM

I dunno, you can get some pretty varied faces using the character creator.  If I remember I'll make some stuff and post screenshots.  I might forget.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1731 on: September 04, 2009, 08:37:10 PM

I think it is pretty obvious that minor graphical details aren't the forte of this game.  Of course it doesn't matter what the face looks like, really.  It's a fucking cartoon.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1732 on: September 04, 2009, 11:04:11 PM

True, because Bruce Wayne looks exactly like Clark Kent.  And Dick Grayson can stand in for either.

PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #1733 on: September 05, 2009, 12:07:21 AM

With some comic artists, that's sadly true.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1734 on: September 05, 2009, 06:37:40 AM

And...  Cancelled.

There just isn't much here to love if you've already quit CoX, since this is pretty much just a reskin with a little half-assed WoW implementation slapped onto it.  Usually a new MMO sucks me into catass mode for at least a week, on day two I wasn't all that compelled to play this.  Not a really good sign.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1735 on: September 05, 2009, 06:43:42 AM

Yeah, sigh. I'm almost surprised at the extent of the CoX reskinning here. You'd think they'd have said, "Ok, we made this game once, did ok, still has subscribers, what do we expect to happen if we make it again?" You have to really think of some fundamental way to take it to the next level, some major new mechanic or style.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1736 on: September 05, 2009, 06:50:30 AM

Yeah, sigh. I'm almost surprised at the extent of the CoX reskinning here. You'd think they'd have said, "Ok, we made this game once, did ok, still has subscribers, what do we expect to happen if we make it again?" You have to really think of some fundamental way to take it to the next level, some major new mechanic or style.

Yeah, all this game did was make me nostalgic for CoH, but then I remember that my nostalgia is based on a time before it got nerfed all to hell and the "thou shall not fight more than 3 henchmen" dictum was put in place.  I have no interest in that game, and I have no interest in this one.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1737 on: September 05, 2009, 10:01:15 AM

I'm playing both CoX and CO, and I can only take so much CO before I quit and go back to CoX.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #1738 on: September 05, 2009, 05:47:24 PM

Okay, I'm liking this a lot. I suppose if I ever played CoX, I would be all "meh." But I didn't, so here I am.

I agree that they crammed too many sound effects, NPC barks, particle explosions, etc etc etc all over the place, all the damn time. I'll bet every few days during development they got used to things and kept kicking it up a notch until it became a cacaphony of retardation and someone said "PERFECT!"

Half the fun for me is seeing the heroes other players come up with. There was "Happy" which was a really big ugly brick-like clown. That made me giggle a lot. I wish I got a screenshot of him. I'm just thrilled I got the name "Blasterman," which I was sure would have been taken.

It's got me interested for now. We'll see how it goes later!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1739 on: September 05, 2009, 06:21:03 PM

Okay, I'm liking this a lot. I suppose if I ever played CoX, I would be all "meh." But I didn't, so here I am.

I agree that they crammed too many sound effects, NPC barks, particle explosions, etc etc etc all over the place, all the damn time. I'll bet every few days during development they got used to things and kept kicking it up a notch until it became a cacaphony of retardation and someone said "PERFECT!"

Half the fun for me is seeing the heroes other players come up with. There was "Happy" which was a really big ugly brick-like clown. That made me giggle a lot. I wish I got a screenshot of him. I'm just thrilled I got the name "Blasterman," which I was sure would have been taken.

It's got me interested for now. We'll see how it goes later!

Names are reusable, theres probably other blastermen around.  I saw a bunny in a trench coat dual wielding pistols called "hare trigger" in beta, le awesome.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1740 on: September 05, 2009, 08:07:26 PM

Wish you could make a toon with a robe or dress.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1741 on: September 05, 2009, 08:51:33 PM

Wish you could make a toon with a robe or dress.

You can
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1742 on: September 05, 2009, 09:00:37 PM

Dumb me then. Can't figure out where that's hiding.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1743 on: September 05, 2009, 09:04:41 PM

Go to the character creator, then when you select the "chest" tab, look for the drop down menu. I have a feeling you might be missing a LOT of options.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1744 on: September 05, 2009, 09:48:46 PM

Go to the character creator, then when you select the "chest" tab, look for the drop down menu. I have a feeling you might be missing a LOT of options.

Its amazing how many people miss the drop down menus their first time through the character creator!  (I did)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1745 on: September 06, 2009, 01:11:20 AM

Its amazing how many people miss the drop down menus their first time through the character creator!  (I did)

So did I. Actually, more than my first time. I missed it all the way through beta.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #1746 on: September 06, 2009, 02:54:07 AM

Robes and dresses are actually in the drop down under the legs option. Also there's a bug where scaling up your UI size will cause some of the costume options to clip off the bottom.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1747 on: September 06, 2009, 06:17:25 AM

That's me, I never played COH so to me the super hero angle and character creator is all shiny and new.  Anyone know how to tell what is unlocked by those items found whose descriptions say "unlocks costume piece"?.  I found out that you have to equip them to get the unlock message but there doesn't seem to be a way to find out what will be or has been unlocked when it's equipped.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1748 on: September 06, 2009, 06:35:17 AM

That's me, I never played COH so to me the super hero angle and character creator is all shiny and new.  Anyone know how to tell what is unlocked by those items found whose descriptions say "unlocks costume piece"?.  I found out that you have to equip them to get the unlock message but there doesn't seem to be a way to find out what will be or has been unlocked when it's equipped.

Go to the tailor.  There will be a new tab that looks like a treasure chest at the top, and if you navigate to it, it will show all the costume pieces you have unlocked.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1749 on: September 06, 2009, 06:39:25 AM

I did miss the drop-down on the first character (they really are not obvious), but this time I was just missing the robe because I was looking for it in the wrong place.

Isn't quite what I was hoping for anyway, but it'll do.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  
Jump to: