Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 05:11:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  (Read 823221 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1680 on: September 03, 2009, 07:28:57 AM

This feels pretty bland.  I keep running through the character creation process but have yet to actually play more than 15-20 minutes. 
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1681 on: September 03, 2009, 08:40:52 AM

The near total lack of an endgame is why I assume they pushed the panic button on across-the-board nerfs on Day 1. Which is a depressingly familiar story. If you go live and you treat your endgame like a dirty secret that has to be protected by layers of grind somewhere in the mid-levels, you're basically like the kid who shows up to class with half of his homework undone and then pulls the fire alarm hoping they can somehow get away from the consequences.
CoH still doesn't have an endgame.  "They'll add it later" doesn't seem like much of comfort.

"Me am play gods"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1682 on: September 03, 2009, 09:13:19 AM

CoH does have an endgame.  It just happens to be an endgame that most people don't wish to partake in.  The endgame that I see consists fo collecting badges and using the invention system to collect rare enhancement sets.  It's like a light version of the WoW pve raiding game in that you raid in order to upgrade your gear from blue to purple.  The power difference in toons can be pretty notable when you complete your build with a set of rare enhancements. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1683 on: September 03, 2009, 09:16:17 AM

I hated that.  Worse is that it's larger than any comic book style I've ever known except Crumb's, and I'm not sure he counts.

Same here.  I've reduced the size of my female toons breasts damn near all the way and they're pretty much still C cups.

Only in nerdville is a C cup considered "small".

ETA:  Having a moderate amount of fun.  Nothing like when I first played CoH, but I do like some of the changes they made.  And am I the only one who likes the comic book outlines?  I do turn off bloom, however.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1684 on: September 03, 2009, 09:40:28 AM

And am I the only one who likes the comic book outlines?  I do turn off bloom, however.

I like the comic book outlines as well, I have trouble understanding why so many people dislike it to be honest.  I have bloom on low myself, though I have to turn it off now and again, because it causes me some graphical errors in a few places.  For instance, in the TV Station, with bloom on (even low), my entire screen is white except for the UI.  I sent a bug report of course.
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #1685 on: September 03, 2009, 09:53:30 AM

I'm actually enjoying this game as well, and I found out something surprising last night.  While messing around with the graphics trying to improve my framerate, I noticed that for some reason the game was set to "windowed mode, maximized" by default instead of true "fullscreen".  Changing it to fullscreen made a HUGE difference in framerate for me (of course), and I can't believe they didn't default to that..

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1686 on: September 03, 2009, 09:59:33 AM

Edit:  I love the character creation process.  Every female toon has the breast size maxed out Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Think there was one preset named "slender" or something that had it set to modest "half way between middle and maxed out" why so serious?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1687 on: September 03, 2009, 10:50:08 AM

Has anyone that has leveled up a toon to a decent level gotten a feel for which classes are fun?  I don't really care what they do, necessarily, but I'm having a hard time choosing at this point.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1688 on: September 03, 2009, 10:56:38 AM

I have electricity to 22, he feels very heroic.  Make sure you choose Sparkstorm.

I have a supernatural character only to 11, but he's broken-good with Judgement.

My earlier post saying I didn't have luck with Regen was because I was a moron and picked a passive offense (electric form) first, and didn't know enough to replace it with Regen (or how to use the roles to switch between the two).

I have a force character that plays fun, powerful but only because I use knockback to "juggle" opponents.  Don't expect to be a team-favorite with this method.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1689 on: September 03, 2009, 11:05:26 AM

I am setting up my fire guy as an AOEr, and rank 3 pyre plus 5 or 6 henchman (even henchman two levels above) is fun and still doable, even in the post-launch-day-nerf world. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1690 on: September 03, 2009, 11:10:26 AM

Has anyone that has leveled up a toon to a decent level gotten a feel for which classes are fun?  I don't really care what they do, necessarily, but I'm having a hard time choosing at this point.
You should probably stay away from the 4 weapon/unarmed melee sets.   Also don't even think of touching supernatural.   Sorcery might be another one to avoid since it takes a long time to make that set do anything.

Everything else is usually pretty fun for complete beginners.   The melee sets were great but they screwed some things up with them shortly before beta ended.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1691 on: September 03, 2009, 11:17:36 AM

[...]Also don't even think of touching supernatural.[...]

Do they go bad at higher levels?  I feel overpowered at level 10.  I killed 8 ice zombies simultaneously last night with Judgement/Regen/Lariat.  The energy-builder attack is dementedly quick.  I could see how he'd loose his appeal if everything started resisting Judgement's stun, but as it stands Judgement is big damage + 3-4 seconds of hold (not root, hold).
Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1692 on: September 03, 2009, 11:57:03 AM

http://www.champions-online.com/node/498387

Due to the general balance pass on powers and difficulty that was made in the early morning hours of September 1st, we will be issuing a full retcon to early-start characters created before our launch day patch. As we did not anticipate needing to do such broad-based changes, we felt doing something extraordinary for our players was appropriate. Please note that this retcon will only be issued to characters that were created during the head start program.
We are currently working on a system to issue this retcon to early start characters. As soon as we have the technology in place to do so, we’ll let you know. Thank you all for supporting the game through the first few days of the launch.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #1693 on: September 03, 2009, 12:58:09 PM

That is good news - I'll have to play around with alts until I find a powerset I like, or use the character builder tool

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1694 on: September 03, 2009, 01:01:28 PM

Its kind of awesome they call respecs 'retcons'.

I sort of want to try this game, but I really don't want to spend $50 on it.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1695 on: September 03, 2009, 01:08:38 PM

I sort of want to try this game, but I really don't want to spend $50 on it.

Wait 3 months.  It should be $9.99 by then. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1696 on: September 03, 2009, 01:23:49 PM

When Nebu gets snarky I get kinda hot, in a hetero sort of way.

I've played the game.  There wasn't any snark there.  Sadly, I think this will be the reality. 

Bargain bin in three months.  You read it here first. 

-  Mark Twain
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1697 on: September 03, 2009, 01:26:58 PM

In 1 month it'll probably be 50% off and have a free trial.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1698 on: September 03, 2009, 01:31:54 PM

So it seems like a decent number of people are now playing. I say we form a Supergroup. This game, while very solo friendly, is also really fun in small groups of players. So far I havent managed to find anyone, although I did see a Kitsune running around.

Anyone interested?
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #1699 on: September 03, 2009, 01:33:59 PM

So it seems like a decent number of people are now playing. I say we form a Supergroup. This game, while very solo friendly, is also really fun in small groups of players. So far I havent managed to find anyone, although I did see a Kitsune running around.

Anyone interested?

Not sure if a supergroup will get started, but my characters are:
Black Scarab@valmorian
Canadian Guard@valmorian
Samson@valmorian

Does anyone know if you can just add an account as a friend?
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1700 on: September 03, 2009, 01:35:05 PM

Call it the Beatalls.  (Power Puff Girls joke)

"Me am play gods"
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1701 on: September 03, 2009, 01:36:34 PM

It adds an account as a friend when you ad a character as a friend, as far as I know.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1702 on: September 03, 2009, 01:49:46 PM

I vote for "Nerfmonkey Sec Slaves"
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:36:48 PM by schild »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1703 on: September 03, 2009, 01:56:02 PM

It adds an account as a friend when you ad a character as a friend, as far as I know.

This is correct, and as far as I'm concerned pretty cool.  All the characters for that account are automagically friends as well.  Kinda smart in a game where alts are the endgame.  I can see where it would be a problem if you're one of those people that like to keep your friends seperate, or just like a character to hide from people.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1704 on: September 03, 2009, 02:04:52 PM

Anyone interested?

Yes sir, definitely interested. Username - banditox.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1705 on: September 03, 2009, 02:15:13 PM

I'm already playing with a group of friends, but I join the SG with one of my alts.  @Malakili (same as forum name here)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1706 on: September 03, 2009, 02:49:18 PM

Ok, we need 6 people to form a Supergroup. I should be on around 6pst today if you guys want to try and do it. Like I said, I also have access to a Vent server we can use.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1707 on: September 03, 2009, 02:52:55 PM

Good luck with that 6 PM thing.  It seems as if the server has died a horrible, horrible death.  Hasn't been up for a while.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1708 on: September 03, 2009, 02:57:14 PM

I wonder if its worth bugging schild for a subforum. We could just have it start in the graveyard.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1709 on: September 03, 2009, 03:14:45 PM

I think opening a forum in the graveyard would be a first?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1710 on: September 03, 2009, 03:40:56 PM

Oh, they fixed adding friends?  Good for them.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #1711 on: September 03, 2009, 03:42:21 PM

I think opening a forum in the graveyard would be a first?

Wait till SWTOR comes out, we'll all be banished to the NGE 2 thread.  why so serious?

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1712 on: September 03, 2009, 03:57:10 PM

I think you could probably just switch it out for the Hellgate: London forum and nobody would be the wiser.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #1713 on: September 03, 2009, 04:51:24 PM

Well, we do have that meatspace forum sitting around collecting dust.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1714 on: September 03, 2009, 05:25:23 PM

Stop trying to make a forum for something 5 people won't be playing in a month. >_<

You mean a week and a half right?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  
Jump to: