Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:27:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: expletive deleted superfail expletive deleted 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: expletive deleted superfail expletive deleted  (Read 239790 times)
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: November 09, 2007, 02:29:24 AM

With games, strangely tossed salads are a hallmark of brilliance.  When you've got a uniformly tossed salad, one that bores you just looking at it, that you've got a problem.  The trick is bridging the gap without inadvertently lacing the salad with arsenic.  Suddenly, you're forced to wear long hair and marry a Romanian just to distract the scorn of buffet goers everywhere.
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: November 09, 2007, 06:52:31 AM

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 06:59:00 AM by tkinnun0 »
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: November 09, 2007, 07:23:03 AM

Three years later and the MMO genre (to which HG:L has attached itself like a tapeworm) is back to bugged, unstable and massively flawed launches.

Yep. Completely, except Hellgate got the one thing right all those previously launched stable games didn't - fun.
Is it more fun than Diablo 2?
It is $10/month* more fun than D2?
Is it "Worth buying it and then waiting six months in the hope Flagship get their act together" more fun than D2?

If not...why not just replay D2 (and wait for Blizzard to finally announce D3)?

*Or 10$/week or $10/day, depending on what their billing partner feels like charging that day. cheesy

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #318 on: November 09, 2007, 08:25:25 AM

I don't think HGL is more fun than D2 at this point.  I subtract large quantities of points for crashing, less so for looking like everything is carved from the same slab of clay.  The loot is there, but it only edges out Titan Quest by some amount smaller than the aggravation it gave me when it reset (not shutdown!) my computer.  I also don't want to reward assholes for shitting a turd into a box.  I might buy it when all of this crazy-ass, billing-sucks, you'll-fly-dragons-with-a-joystick-I-PROMISE, patch-tails-in-later shit is dealt with.

Not that D2 was 100% candycanes and blowjobs on release.  Anyone remember the screen resolution?  Still, it was loads of fun and it happened to work most of the time.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: November 09, 2007, 08:34:35 AM

It's not even remotely competitive to D2 at any level except the graphics engine. And titan quest beat the shit out of both of them there on every count but randomization.

That doesn't mean it's not "fun". It's just not a great game. If you're a fan of the genre you'll enjoy it, if not stay away.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: November 09, 2007, 08:51:33 AM

So, for example, if I had D2 at home and hadn't played it for a year or so, I'd be better advised at the moment to reinstall that and give it a runthrough while waiting to see if Flagship can get their act together in the next six months or so?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: November 09, 2007, 09:04:58 AM

I'd really consider waiting a couple months. This game has all the making to be a great, fun game. But it also has issues coming out of its asshole. It needs a lot of bug fixes and a lot of polish. I can say honestly that it does have all the makings to be extremely fun though, and the fun does shine through all the bullshit.
Ixxit
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: November 09, 2007, 09:07:39 AM

With all the fun I'm having with Hellgate I installed Diablo II without the expansion (which I don't have anymore).  At 640x480 them pixels were almost as big as my head and moving the mouse cursor was like weilding a baseball bat  swamp poop
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:10:09 AM by Ixxit »

I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: November 09, 2007, 09:16:29 AM

Now correct me if I'm wrong.  I can buy the box and install the game and play for no monthly sub, right?  I mean, it doesn't force me to pay monthly, right?

I could even play single player, right?

Seems to me that there isn't much of a risk other then my $50 to get a decent game that will entertain me for at least a month.  Outside of that, it could and probably will be a whole lot more!  If I'm sick of it at the end of a month and wait for it to get better for later, is it still worth my $50?  From what I've read, I tend to think so. 

Hell, I've been screwed a lot harder by 100's of single player games in the past.  This seems like a pretty safe bet.
schild
Administrator

Reply #324 on: November 09, 2007, 09:18:28 AM

I'm still trying to figure out how housing will work. Guild Halls are easy. I hope there's a church tileset option. The last thing I want is another subway station.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #325 on: November 09, 2007, 09:21:59 AM

I think it's good fun, Dren, with or without a sub.  There are a couple annoying bits, it should have cooked quite a bit longer but it's worth the price of the box, in my opinion. 

About housing:  Is there going to be guild halls?  I know there will eventually be housing, though unless there is lots of storage and you can buy those machines to put in them, I don't see the point.  I'd much rather just have guild halls with guild storage.  And machines, too.  And furniture and dancing boys.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: November 09, 2007, 09:33:10 AM

Wow, housing is still planned? I had assumed the idea got dropped.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #327 on: November 09, 2007, 09:34:25 AM

Now correct me if I'm wrong.  I can buy the box and install the game and play for no monthly sub, right?  I mean, it doesn't force me to pay monthly, right?

I could even play single player, right?

Seems to me that there isn't much of a risk other then my $50 to get a decent game that will entertain me for at least a month.  Outside of that, it could and probably will be a whole lot more!  If I'm sick of it at the end of a month and wait for it to get better for later, is it still worth my $50?  From what I've read, I tend to think so. 

Hell, I've been screwed a lot harder by 100's of single player games in the past.  This seems like a pretty safe bet.

It's totally worth the box price. It has issues, and it's not the second coming that some people may have been expecting but it's a fun fast paced game. The body count and the loot alone are worth the price. And no, you don't need to subscribe or even play online.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #328 on: November 09, 2007, 09:35:22 AM

I'm still trying to figure out how housing will work. Guild Halls are easy. I hope there's a church tileset option. The last thing I want is another subway station.

But wait. Isnt another subway station just *more* fun?
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #329 on: November 09, 2007, 09:40:59 AM

An important thing to note as well, is that the majority of the bugs being complained about are directly related to online play. Sure, there are some bugs that affect single player - but nothing drastic off the top of my head. So if you want buy it now and just play SP until they clean things up, I'd say go for it. It is still more fun mowing through shit in a group though.

When you can see your group mates.

Or hear their tells.

Or even invite them in to a group...

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: November 09, 2007, 10:28:13 AM

So, what, thread title is now censorship in action?

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #331 on: November 09, 2007, 10:35:57 AM

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=11356.0

Reasonable request.  His thread title used to be more obvious ("Would a mod rename angry.bob's thread" or something similar).

Quit yer bitchin'.

-Rasix
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: November 09, 2007, 10:44:53 AM

Ah, perfectly fine then.  I thought schild was trying to squash obvious negativity about the game.  I've only been paying attention to this forum since I absorb everyone's hate to make it my own.

I wouldn't call what I said bitching, more misplaced snark.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #333 on: November 09, 2007, 10:46:02 AM

Ah, perfectly fine then.  I thought schild was trying to squash obvious negativity about the game.

Don't be a retarded asshole.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: November 09, 2007, 10:51:50 AM

Ah, perfectly fine then.  I thought schild was trying to squash obvious negativity about the game.

Damn, retarded asshole was the first two words I used to describe this character when I rolled him.  Does anyone have an eraser so I can change it?

schild
Administrator

Reply #335 on: November 09, 2007, 10:53:50 AM

Damn, retarded asshole was the first two words I used to describe this character when I rolled him.  Does anyone have an eraser so I can change it?
Respecs are to be patched in later. Unfortunately, they forgot to put the ability to put a space in a name in the game. So, uhm. Joke fails.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: November 09, 2007, 10:57:20 AM

So, for example, if I had D2 at home and hadn't played it for a year or so, I'd be better advised at the moment to reinstall that and give it a runthrough while waiting to see if Flagship can get their act together in the next six months or so?
If you were still playing D2 a year ago, you're a fan of the genre. Pick up HGL. It's not an instant classic, but you'll enjoy it.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: November 09, 2007, 11:08:47 AM

Respecs are to be patched in later. Unfortunately, they forgot to put the ability to put a space in a name in the game. So, uhm. Joke fails.

What joke? I was going for nonsensical bullshit in order to nix the conversation.

Today's Hellgate Hater Tip: Potential is a bitch when its unrealized.  The tears of disappointment in six months if this game fails to deliver and continues to have major, game-breaking issues will be sweeter than personally bitch-slapping a trash-talking 13-year-old XBox Live fuckhead.

And if it does deliver, I won't care.  I'm already having one hundred times the fun playing Call of Duty 4's Multiplayer with friends that I can see, communicate with and coordinate with in a excellently balanced, smooth, FUN experience that rewards me better than any equipment drop that would occur in a game.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 11:12:26 AM by Lorekeep »

schild
Administrator

Reply #338 on: November 09, 2007, 11:30:33 AM

Today's Hellgate Hater Tip: Potential is a bitch when its unrealized.  The tears of disappointment in six months if this game fails to deliver and continues to have major, game-breaking issues will be sweeter than personally bitch-slapping a trash-talking 13-year-old XBox Live fuckhead.

And if it does deliver, I won't care.  I'm already having one hundred times the fun playing Call of Duty 4's Multiplayer with friends that I can see, communicate with and coordinate with in a excellently balanced, smooth, FUN experience that rewards me better than any equipment drop that would occur in a game.

So, why are you in here?

On that note, I don't expect much in tears. Most of the guys playing this understand "failed potential" better than probably 99.9% of the consumer section of the gaming industry. Thing is, we're practically experiencing, pound for pound, the Diablo 2 launch again. So we're pretty forgiving on that front.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: November 09, 2007, 11:35:46 AM

Because it's fun, and I think you'd prefer the Hellgate Hate (I should just call it H'ate) confined to this singular thread.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: November 09, 2007, 11:42:10 AM

What joke? I was going for nonsensical bullshit in order to nix the conversation.

Bottom line is if Hellgate doesn't improve 1 bit it will still go down in many people's book as a fun game and worth the money.  Sure it has huge potential to be great but if that doesn't materialize it is still fun.  Alot of players are addicted to the shinies and character development that isn't offered to this level in a call of duty type game.
Tige
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: November 09, 2007, 01:05:25 PM

Bottom line is if Hellgate doesn't improve 1 bit it will still go down in many people's book as a fun game and worth the money.  Sure it has huge potential to be great but if that doesn't materialize it is still fun.  Alot of players are addicted to the shinies and character development that isn't offered to this level in a call of duty type game.

I resemble that statement.  Even with not being able to see MrHat in half of the zones we traversed earlier.  Even with crashing twice at my stash and a few other glitches I need teh shiney.

Although I couldn't see MrHat I could see his minions and zombot.  All I had to do was find the light show and all was well. 

Speaking of shiney, time to log back in. 
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: November 09, 2007, 01:26:24 PM

Because it's fun, and I think you'd prefer the Hellgate Hate (I should just call it H'ate) confined to this singular thread.

I'm not a mod or anything and my opinion doesn't really count for much but you are stepping over a line.

You said you don't like the game and don't want to play it.  Fair enough, now run along and let the people who do want to play it and do want to talk about it do so without you.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: November 09, 2007, 01:32:44 PM

"Obliterus" sounded like a decent enough name for an Evoker.  Then I figured out what I had crossed "Obliterate" with.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: November 09, 2007, 01:39:01 PM

I'm not a mod or anything and my opinion doesn't really count for much but you are stepping over a line.

You said you don't like the game and don't want to play it.  Fair enough, now run along and let the people who do want to play it and do want to talk about it do so without you.

I am.  That's what every other damn thread in this forum is for.  This thread is for the H'ate.

schild
Administrator

Reply #345 on: November 09, 2007, 01:45:25 PM

I am.  That's what every other damn thread in this forum is for.  This thread is for the H'ate.

No, it's not. It's a thread for people who want to play but for whatever reason, they can't. Go back to the Vanguard Chatter thread.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #346 on: November 09, 2007, 02:06:30 PM

You should be playing at least the first act of D2 once every twelve-eighteen months anyway.  If you like the game, that is.  Honestly I'd be playing HGL with everyone else if I had more time, but as it stands I can't devote it to something this buggy right now.  YMMV and whatnot.  HGL loot is better than Titan Quest, and I'd even say D2, but resetting my rig is a no-no.  And clubbing catwomen so hard that they fly over buildings is just hilarious.

If you do go back to D2, be sure to install LoD and patch up to v1.10 first.  If you play TQ, get the expansion as well.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: November 09, 2007, 02:13:47 PM

No, it's not. It's a thread for people who want to play but for whatever reason, they can't. Go back to the Vanguard Chatter thread.

No shit? You mean a thread on this forum hasn't ever progressed to something else in its time? It was like that on the first three pages, but then general bitchery relating to Flagship's inability to ship a complete product up to their pedigree (or even what would be considered "stable"), along with its partners in the subscriptions service's general incompetence, your "whatever reason" that is so poignant yet so trivialized by many here, started up on Page 4 and reached a head on Page 6.  That's when I made it clear I wasn't going to take it.  HAD the game not have all the game-wrecking issues, like crashes, critical bugs, and the like, I'd PROBABLY still be playing with you, poor design choices notwithstanding.  Let's not forget I made it all the way to Act 4, which meant I had to put up with at least a half-dozen crashes per day of play, typically one after I've finished a particular branch of a dungeon, sometimes more.  It was only after I hit the brick wall where the game said DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200 that I took a stand and withdrew support for a company that desperately wants your money to pimp services that don't matter for shit since their base game is so bugged to hell.  Hell, if I hadn't encountered all these issues, I might even have subscribed for one month to show support and access the special stuff.

I wish I could get my money back for an incomplete product but that's not how the games industry works.  I feel ashamed to have rewarded them in some fashion for their efforts.

Are you really so tolerant and willing to reward a company that finds it acceptable to put this bug-ridden mess on you?  Are you so desperate to recreate an 8-year old memory of awesome game design that you're willing to play any piece of software that comes across your plate to follow the formula and proclaim it worthy of your time when all it does is slap you around and tell you to go make it dinner?

Is your fun tied directly to this mechanic of gambling at the chance of getting a shiny that only has significance in the game space it occupies?

I played Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction this week.  I never had before.  I'm glad I did so I can see how a game like Hellgate should have been done right.

You want to address my issues, I'll respond.  Otherwise, I've said my piece.

EDIT: Minor grammar stuff.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 02:15:51 PM by Lorekeep »

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: November 09, 2007, 09:31:17 PM

Are you so desperate to recreate an 8-year old memory of awesome game design that you're willing to play any piece of software that comes across your plate to follow the formula and proclaim it worthy of your time when all it does is slap you around and tell you to go make it dinner?
Yes.  awesome, for real

<edit: I fail at quoting>
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 10:11:39 PM by Rendakor »

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #349 on: November 09, 2007, 09:53:27 PM

Instanced of course. There will probably be one entrance for all people and it will send you to the appropriate guild hall / house / truckstop shower depending on your guild affiliation.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: expletive deleted superfail expletive deleted  
Jump to: