Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 07:34:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar" 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  (Read 990734 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1750 on: March 14, 2014, 08:34:55 AM

I really want to love the path stuff, but people here are right.  The fact that they have something cool like that could really appeal to a lot of people.  But it needs to be more interesting.  There should be a puzzle or a trick for a soldier to find or kill his path target.  Maybe there could be clues or more interesting obstacles in finding a particular place for an explorer.  That sort of thing.  That and the good housing and crafting that I haven't experienced yet, could give them the time and cash to work on the combat, which I agree needs to be made more fun.  One thing I did really enjoy about TSW was that not everything was smack in your face like most other mmos.  Some things were subtle and had to be figured out.  It makes the effort worth it and a successful result very satisfying.  It's one of the things I enjoy in single player games the most... trying to sort out how to do something, even if you have to try over and over because when you get it, you can dance and make ha ha noises.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1751 on: March 14, 2014, 09:04:40 AM

Slow combat? Combat is not slow at all. TTK is maybe long in some spots, but speed of combat is way too spammy/fast.

TTK may not be long, but the FEEL of combat is horribly slow - something not aided by the fact that run speed is really slow compared to the size of the zones. TTK probably feels longer than it is because despite the "dodge triggers" on the ground, it still just felt like I'm pressing a button then waiting 5-10 seconds for cooldowns.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1752 on: March 14, 2014, 09:41:59 AM

By the time you fill out your toolbar, you should not be "waiting" on anything unless you expect to have complete access to your best abilities at all times.   Ohhhhh, I see.    Maybe it's worse for some classes then others, I dunno.  I tried them all and didn't get that impression cept for maybe Esper (whom I didnt play much).  For engi. and slinger I was typically behind the timers - so not sure why anyone would want/need it quicker.  Also, tweaking the preload helps.

I dont care much about the movement problems because I recognize it's mostly a racial-animation issue along with being a class issue (to those not having a movement ability).  Also, between dodge, buffs and 'mounts' like hoverboard (mounts are also fully customizable); who cares.  Hoverboard is given at release to Deluxe pre-orders btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fotT6iVi-cg

Speaking of mounts, flying mounts wont be in at release due to design problems (explorer being the main one).  The game is already setup for them, but it'll have to be injected later if at all.  Since you can buy gold, you can go that route if you've gotta have a mount asap and didnt want to pre-order.

Disclaimer:  not tryin to sell the game to you guys.  I'm still doubtful I can even afford the time and expense this summer anyways, but I dont see the PoS everyone else does.  I've been dubbed a broken person quite often though, so..   awesome, for real   Speaking of TSW; TSW was a better overall game then Wildstar, yes. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:45:55 AM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1753 on: March 14, 2014, 09:57:42 AM

Wildstar, just like ESO, is not a piece of shit. It's just not very entertaining. If I had never played an MMOG or didn't have a huge backlog of games I want to play, I might think it was decent. But I've played MMOG's and there are better MMOG's out there. This one's combat is just... boring. It doesn't fell at all action-y.

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #1754 on: March 14, 2014, 10:07:05 AM

Happy the NDA is finally down.

Wildstar is much more polished than ESO, and the combat isn't annoying with autofacing on. The combat is, however, boring as hell. You don't have any "rotations" like WoW, you primarily press one button to generate resources and one to consume them. Then there are a couple situational abilities and cooldowns. It's not involving.

But that's not my main complaint with Wildstar. It's not the reason I find the game impossible to play. My problem is that there's no UI scaling on NPC text. I game at 2560x1440 and the text is just fucking unreadable. I simply cannot play the game, and I have no interest in dropping back to 1080p and losing windowed fullscreen for eash multitasking. I check back into the beta every couple of weeks to see if they fixed this, please do let me know if a recent push did it.

Anyway, beyond the boring combat and unreadable text, it's scifi WoW. Same art style, same core gameplay. If they can make it effortless to play like WoW, I can see it picking up quite a few subscriptions in the very long window Blizzard has left wide open between the last content patch and the next expansion. That's a huge opportunity.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1755 on: March 14, 2014, 10:21:47 AM

I mean really, all I'm trying to do is large-guild organized nightly-scheduled 40-mans and have a house (the warplots being the gravy).  All the other shite is really secondary, and honestly, if the game was TOO involved combat-wise It'd be more fatiguing to play then I'd like given the /played necessary for Endgame... and the large raids would be unmanageable.

Game is cross-server and sharded so I'm not worried about dead zones like I used to be either, otherwise I wouldn't even buy the game.  We all know it'll be #crickets in a month but in this case it shouldn't be an issue.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1756 on: March 14, 2014, 03:46:29 PM

If you like quest treadmill games, dungeons, heroics and raids. This game is pretty good.

I like all those things. I didn't like Wildstar, and I totally wanted to. Remember, I still play SWTOR, so I am all over doing quests, dungeons and heroics (not so much raids). I still got bored before hitting level 20.

That's because combat mechanics and the classes are boring as fuck. If you like the combat and the classes, you'll like the rest of the game.

That ... isn't what I was responding to. I even quoted what you said that I was responding to in that post. Saying "if you like these things, you'll like the game!" as your opening statement, even if you go on to say "but these other things suck" is ... misleading. This follow-up version is much clearer.

And yeah, Lantyssa, that's why the challenges suck so hard to finish after the first couple you run into. I mean, the ones that don't involve killing mobs still work okay, but anything that requires slaughter is best ignored.

God Save the Horn Players
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1757 on: March 17, 2014, 08:00:21 AM

I know. I was clarifying my previous statement. Sorry for the confusion.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #1758 on: March 18, 2014, 12:46:43 PM

MMORPG.com has a bunch of keys to give away this weekend if you're still interested in checking it out

Edit: Gone
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:55:06 AM by Rokal »
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1759 on: March 19, 2014, 03:15:40 PM

For anyone interested, GMG has Wildstar for pre-purchase, and has a 20% off code:

http://www.greenmangaming.com/wildstar/

PLOCVS-G2T5YX-DATY6M is the code.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #1760 on: March 24, 2014, 03:34:19 PM

I had fun with the beta weekend but the quality of the zones seemed really inconsistent. Exile stuff seemed a bit better organized than Dominion and the story stuff wasn't as in-your-face/obnoxious. Playing through the Dominion starter ship felt like walking through a series of pop-up ads. The second Dominion zone wasn't as overwhelming, but was unremarkable for anyone that has played a themepark MMO in the last 10 years. The third dominion zone, Deradune, felt like a mess. Lots of quests as soon as you enter, none of them in the same areas, many of them broken.

The Exile stuff felt a lot better. Ship tutorial was much easier to stomach, zone after that had some cool stuff going on visually and seemed to have a decent (though pretty unremarkable) quest path. Third zone was the best, which quickly opened up with a lot of different things to do without feeling like I was walking across the entire map to collect 5 boar asses.

Overall I had fun with the game. The combat gets close to where I'm looking for the MMO genre to expand to at this point without bringing it into ARPG territory. It's still crazy that they're launching what is essentially a direct competitor to GW2, another NCSoft game, with a subscription fee. I may check it out in June if the dungeon content is fun.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1761 on: March 24, 2014, 04:50:08 PM

They did clean up quite a bit of broken things compared to the last beta weekend I was in... and it looks sooooo much better without the god damn watermark background.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1762 on: March 26, 2014, 07:18:28 PM

I'm seeing a lot of ads poping up for this on a lot of websites, so they are definitely pushing this in a big way.

Hic sunt dracones.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1763 on: March 27, 2014, 04:09:15 PM

From the official forums:
Do you think waiting until next weekend to play WildStar sucks?  Do you feel like being capped at level 17 is like wearing a soggy turtleneck?  SO DO WE!

Starting tomorrow, Friday 3/28 at 7:00am PDT, the servers will be live and the party ain’t stopping until Sunday night!  Also, the level 17 cap is gone and is now being replaced with a level 20 cap.  My quick math skills tell me that’s an extra 3 levels!  This bonus weekend is a way to get more testing time for us, awesome, as well as more game time for all of you, double awesome!

This is our way of gathering the feedback we cherish and saying thank you to all of our loyal testers.  Which is why we would love it if you logged in this weekend, enjoyed the extra 3 levels and the bonus game time because it will greatly help us be that much more prepared come launch day June 3rd.

Stay Frosty! 

I assume this is open to all beta weekend and stress testers as well as the uber-beta people.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1764 on: March 27, 2014, 05:01:57 PM

I'll give it another shot, but not hopeful. 
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #1765 on: March 27, 2014, 05:10:09 PM

I got an engineer to 9 last weekend. Combat was way too easy. Though I did like the semi-action nature. Quests were standard, just couldn't get into the quest hub grind. Maybe when they go f2p I'll be in that kinda mood.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1766 on: March 27, 2014, 06:12:47 PM

Rumor is only open to closed beta testers and pre-order customers. CONFIRMED: Pre-order beta weekend only.

Heartbreak

edit: updated
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 09:03:45 AM by 01101010 »

BoatApe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1767 on: March 28, 2014, 12:24:22 PM

I did not pre-order but got an email with a new weekend key today. We'll see if it works once it finishes patching.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1768 on: March 28, 2014, 07:34:07 PM

Everyone I know who signed up for beta got in. So yeah.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1769 on: March 28, 2014, 08:45:00 PM

Everyone I know who signed up for beta got in. So yeah.

Not everyone. I signed up and did not get an email. But I ain't mad.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1770 on: March 29, 2014, 05:13:52 AM

I never got in, sounds like I didn't miss much.  I heard they had a big problem being recognized as spam for a while so maybe I just deleted it without knowing.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1771 on: March 29, 2014, 10:59:01 AM

Wow, the UI is horrid. Its so cluttered and nothing pulls the eye to important information.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #1772 on: March 29, 2014, 07:19:31 PM

There's supposed to be a UI overhaul soon apparently. A big one.

Anyway, playing catchup on this thread, so apologies if I say something already said...

I'd been messing around with spelllslinger for a while - lots of long channeled casts that can be annoying to try to line up with skillshots. Then I try out a stalker. Run stealthed into groups of things and start mashing one or two buttons with big angle instant AOEs that largely make irrelevant the direction you are facing.

PvP is going to be a nightmare to balance.

Edit: UI info, not in yet:
http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstar_ui_20_preview_less_is_more.php/

Also bear in mind that the game uses wow-like LUA modding, so there'll doubtless be hundreds of UI mods available.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 07:27:20 PM by Jherad »
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1773 on: March 30, 2014, 03:34:58 AM

The new UI looks pretty good.  I like how they split it down the middle.  If that lets you zoom in on the action that will be an improvement.  Now if they can make combat fun, it might be worth considering.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1774 on: March 30, 2014, 11:24:49 AM

I think I'm at the point where I don't even need 'fun' anymore.  I just want to zone out.  Fun is too much effort.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1775 on: April 02, 2014, 07:03:47 AM

"Be the First to Nab a WildStar Beta Key from Curse for this Weekend's Testing Event!"

http://www.curse.com/news/wildstar/49466-premium-users-be-the-first-to-nab-a-wildstar-beta

Not for me, but putting it up in case anyone is interested.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1776 on: April 02, 2014, 11:42:13 AM

I think I'm at the point where I don't even need 'fun' anymore.  I just want to zone out.  Fun is too much effort.

Sounds like you should try Goat Simulator.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1777 on: April 11, 2014, 09:35:08 PM

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1778 on: April 12, 2014, 07:30:15 AM

That was awesome!  I fully intended to sub to this game before I became so OCD with ESO and after that it's on the top of my list.  I have to do that.  SOON!  Warplot looks like a good laugh.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1779 on: April 12, 2014, 09:02:15 AM

Already knew everything in that vid., but still was impressive seeing the marketing shtick.  Not sure how it can possibly be balanced, but I'm not real concerned about it.  Still sounds like fun. Errrr, "fun."  But my gods, it's gonna take a helluva guild to maximize this game.

PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #1780 on: April 12, 2014, 07:08:32 PM

Man, if there was anything in the game with even 1/10 that much personality, I might've made it past level nine.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1781 on: April 12, 2014, 07:13:10 PM

They should make videos instead of a boring-ass game.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1782 on: April 13, 2014, 01:54:25 PM

Man, if there was anything in the game with even 1/10 that much personality, I might've made it past level nine.

Yeah, the marketing people are pretty brilliant. Were I making a game, I'd want them promoting it.  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1783 on: April 15, 2014, 09:58:02 AM

You made it farther than me. The marketing had personality. The gameplay was completely bereft of it.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1784 on: April 15, 2014, 11:02:17 AM

Well, darn.  I played a bit in beta and it was okay but I was having both time and computer issues and didn't get all that far.  There were bits that I really liked.  I thought the path idea was great.  When I saw that video, I sort of got that Borderlands feeling which would have made it awesome to play.  I still want to try out that warplot thingy so I'll still probably give it a go eventually.  Between ESO and EQL, however, I have too many things to pay attention to and one more thing in my head will probably cause me to forget something important.  Like my name or where I left my other shoe.

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 98 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  
Jump to: